L'Eau Majeure d'Issey 2017

L'Eau Majeure d'Issey by Issey Miyake
Bottle Design Todd Bracher
L'Eau Majeure d'Issey is a perfume by Issey Miyake for men and was released in 2017. The scent is synthetic-aquatic. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
GrapefruitGrapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesAmbergrisAmbergris
Base Notes Base NotesCashmeranCashmeran

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 28.10.2021.

Kreisquadrat
Sound of the sea in the garden of a rotten wooden hut
My first encounter with this gem was similar to the many negative reviews.
Inspired by the stomlinienförmige Handschmeichler flacon, I fed myself this Issey Miyake. I had a positive impression so far by L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense and expected a similarly positive impression.
However, I was struck by a certain mustiness that I had never perceived before under perfumes. As if I enter a long abandoned, old house full of furniture and books, which have gotten their character imposed by the humidity and wondered who should wear such as a fragrance then?
With a similar comment to the helpful saleswoman, I moved away. Saw merely like the lady concentrated at this Flakon smelled, so that I got the impression that she was taken by it.
This impression did not let me go. Why should someone wear such then voluntarily? Who brings such a thing at all on the market?
It remained long in my olfactory memory. So followed several times of the always again testens.

And there I was blown away. This muff seemed more complex to me and was extended by the other Ingridenzien accompanying. I was fascinated.

So, looking at it with some temporal distance:
On the one hand, with L'Eau Majeure d'Issey, I experienced the salty air of the North Sea. The sand soaked by salt water and the accessories of sea plants and isolated driftwood. On the other hand, I smell the mudflats.

In addition, I heard new aspects of this creation, which were not there for me before the muff. A modern sweetness in the interplay with bitter notes from fruits, as well as reminiscences of forest and garden flowers. Whereas I also have the image of sand dunes overgrown with plants.
Dar Muff: I wonder how long the ambergris may have floated in the seas of the world? Probably not at all and we have here before us a synthetic form. However, this is composed as probably an ambergris after a long journey on the beach may be washed up. Accordingly, this muff ranks itself just as consistently and logically in the idea and the theme of this creation as the sea, the substance from the digestive tract of marine mammals and citrus fruits as provisions companion at the North Sea would do it.

Later, I found for me that more nuances were added. The beginning accompanies long, as mentioned, something bitter, after which the salt gradually asserts itself, followed by the sea muff and immerwieder this sweetness shines through and frames the overall work as something that corresponds to a modern fragrance.

In fact, with this fragrance, the focus seems to me to vary greatly depending on the weather and mood. Accordingly, I recommend this EdT at different times of the year, on different days and at different times to test again and again. Because sometimes prevails exclusively the musty, sometimes almost exclusively something which acts like such a typical mainstream young bung fragrance and thus can actually act short-tempered generic and sometimes it is as it was probably conceived, totally harmonious between all its elements.

I don't hear the much-maligned synthericism the way some reviewers convey it. As far as I have read to it, Issey Miyake should have put his attention to futuristic and technical modernity with this creation. So, as a result, the artificial cashmeran seems only consistent and logical to me. Since I am personally inclined towards technoid futurism in art, literature and fashion, this synthetic material acts as an aesthetic medium in this creation. An aesthetic chemistry, so to speak.

I can understand to some extent what displeases those who tear this gem. Where I have not yet looked at the collections to be able to conclude whether those critics just prefer the species-typical, more accessible aromas of fresh and sweet, which are more flattering to the general public (Mind you, regardless of whether it is designer or niche), no front or whether I am simply and simply damaged in my perception of L'Eau Majeure d'Issey. I can live with either.
One always says so beautiful, that this and that is a matter of taste. Whereas for me personally, what constitutes taste, is an accumulation of experience and I believe that there is ultimately no taste, but only these personal experience. At least I can not do much with "matter of taste".
We make experiences from encounters, events and these are also reflected in our scent perception. I feel besides all the beautiful smells that there are also the smell of gasoline, engine oil, so technical and chemical smells, as well as smells like rotten wood, coal, plants, earth, road dust from Central Asia and many other what is perceived as unpleasant as interesting. Maybe that's why I love L'Eau Majeure d'Issey. However, also because it represents for me in the area of the provincial drugstore and perfumery of the L'Eau Majeure d'Issey a unique specimen and stands out with the most from the existing designer fragrances despite certain weaknesses far. Here the designer has dared something without slipping too much into a concept fragrance!

The main theme is the water and the sea. This is adequately implemented here. The intention is technology and solid lab work has been done here in terms of chemistry and the artifice of science fiction and cyberpunk aesthetics. In this, at least, I see a connection. Furthermore, L'Eau Majeure d'Issey manages to capture the Japanese philosophy of life, or a Japanoid style of multi-faceted minimalism and order, of harmony between nature and artifice.

The durability is very solid. For a designer fragrance stable. Projection varies depending on barometric pressure, weather and body chemistry.

I would like to miss this gem by no means more and am glad that the sales figures seem to be stable, so that I will hopefully have something from this series for a long time. Thanks to all those who like this fragrance and continue to buy! I myself have a 150ml tub of it at home.

To L'Eau Majeure d'Issey I recommend a Scottish whiskey from the island of Islay, such as the Talisker, where the theme of the sea also harmonizes successfully. According to the motto: "Made by the sea".

A silver lining on the horizon conveys the early evening at the rough, dark sea. Grey sky, dark clouds.
Face whipped around by grains of sand and by the wind blowing up all that washed up at the feet of the sea. Alone on the beach. But right here I feel right and comfortable, although it is seemingly uncomfortable ...like this fragrance.

Overly synthetic
My first experience with L'Eau Majeure was at a store when I test sprayed my wrist, there was this gorgeous opening that lasted a couple of mins and then turned into an awful chemical bomb I hated, I had to rush and wash it off.

I spent months hating on it until one day I got a decant and tried it again, I sprayed my neck this time and there it was, that beautiful opening but this time, after it faded it wasn't as terrible as I remembered, in fact it was quite nice!

L'Eau Majeure has a very synthetic smell, starts citrusy, acquatic and then you get hit by the cashmeran. It's a very pleasant scent if you don't mind the synthetic nature of it.

I liked Super Majeure better than this one

Cool Sea Breeze
After using it intensively, I think that I can make a more precise summary of this proposal:

This is a fresh fragrance clearly reminiscent of the sea breeze; think about being on board a yacht, gently swaying in the waves... That's the idea.

In addition, there is a charming grapefruit "floating in the breeze" and leading us through the marine olfactory experience. It has some synthetic notes, but it must also be said that they're of great quality and smell wonderful.

Its flanker - "L'Eau Super Majeure d'Issey" - is very similar, but more woody and intense. Instead, this one is better for hotter days.

- Longevity: +/- 8h.
-Projection & Sillage: Good. It'll be noticed, but it won't bother.
- Mood: Refreshing, relaxing and revitalizing.
- Scenario & Lifestyle: Excellent for hot days (office & outings); it's one of the best I've found for that (but for not-so-warm days I slightly prefer "L'Eau Super Majeure d'Issey").

Conclusion: A fresh, modern and addictive scent. It's cool and appealing... But sophisticated: There's no "generic sugary potion" here.

A great aquatic fragrance. I love it.
4.5
Fresh21
L'Eau Majeure = Le Malheur !
Is this gonna be a fuckup? Yes, unfortunately :) but begins harmlessly, because my first impression at the airport: "Opens fresh, citric, bitter and spicy. Something from Bvlgaris Amara, quite woody, but not too aquatic. Great..."

A little in a hurry, and whoops, ... bought.

And that was the error :-/

Maybe I can still win him something good before I really get going, because I'm actually a cheerful nature :D

Hmmm, uh, uh, yeah, let's see. Hüstl, snort, ...

A beautiful bottle.

And that's it, then. Oh, no ... there's something else, namely a strong H & S, as well as a rather linear scent, which usually pleases me very much. But that's exactly what will be the downfall of this Flanker. Because a good change would have been more than right for me with this synthetic liquorice plörre.

*KGTM: H:e:y, h:e:y, i:m:m:e:r f:r:e:u:n:d:l:i:c:h b:l:e:i:b:e:n.

??? What are you doing here?
KGTM: N:a, e:t:w:a:s P:o:s:i:t:i:v:e:s b:e:i:t:r:a:g:e:n, w:i:e i:m:m:e:r.

All right.

KGTM: D:a:n:n e:r:z:ä:h:l d:o:c:h m:a:l, w:i:e e:s w:i:r:k:l:i:c:h w:a:r.

All right... there was someone else there. 'A young woman ...

KGTM: U:n:d?

Well, I admit she may have tempted me a little to buy that plastic stinker.

KGTM: M:e:h:r D:e:t:a:i:l:s b:i:t:t:e, w:i:r s:i:n:d g:e:s:p:a:n:n:t.

Well, I was in England with an employee for training purposes, ...

KGTM: ... S:o h:i:e:ß e:s.

??? Man, that could be my daughter, that was just business!

KGTM: W:i:r:d i:m:m:e:r b:e:s:s:e:r.

But that's true.

Tested on her left arm Prada L'Homme and on her right arm L'Eau Majeure, she said (just like me) that the Issey Miyake smells better, fresher, more distinctive and more masculine. That's right, but it's also zero problemo to stand with almost every scent against such a powder puff :)like Prada's L'Homme his man.

KGTM: W:o:m:i:t w:i:r w:i:e:d:e:r b:e:i:m T:h:e:m:a w:ä:e:n.

Very funny ...

Well, I'll make it short and sweet: after 92 ratings still the grade 5.4 doesn't exactly speak for this fragrance, and so many users can't be wrong. But I had to hold out against it spontaneously and buy the stuff ... An unforgivable grip into the airport toilet. Because even though Basti still got the curve in his commi, he describes this shrill Myake soup very aptly as initially "synthetic-nerving and penetrating". But while he found the EDT out to the rear better, I couldn't make friends with his stuffy-sweet artificial woodiness for more than eight hours. And so this sticky penetranzler already ended after a few weeks in the eBay auction.

KGTM: U:n:d?

So what? The young employee could still be my daughter! And if you're joking about her mother, ... no I would not have had the slightest chance with this Flanker ;-) Because to say it with Wikipedia, this would be a "misfortune that puts the person concerned in an embarrassing situation". I told you,

L'Eau Majeure = Le Malheur !

*KGTM = Little Green Telepathic Male. An alien that occasionally provides positive compensation for Fresh21 (see also last blogs:)

Darkbeat
Another perfume more in the style of Invictus
This perfume is another one of those that get on Calone's car in excess, I have been using it these days and the description of the aroma is very simple, Calone + Ambroxan and a citrus twist for the exit, ready, there is no more, ¡¡¡Eye !! That this does not mean that it smells bad, which is not the case, but we find a simple and pleasant perfume without more, and like many others that flood the market.

The resemblance to Invictus is evident, a youthful aroma, sweet, marine and fresh, bordering on linearity, but very much of the current taste in designer perfumery. Mr. Issey has not complicated his life, and he has signed up to massive sales.

The performance is good, about 7 hours on skin, with a moderate projection at all times. The use, as it can not be otherwise, is for warm and temperate times and preferably for daytime use.

If you like this type of aromas, go ahead, it's a nice fragrance, but if you're already tired of so much perfume similar to Invictus, do not approach, because it's more of the same.

Sorry for my bad english.
I had a good feeling about it. Andreas Möller
When I first applied it, I thought of a top floppy. Then read the bad ratings and also switched to the not at all mode.
After three months in a perfumery chain, or almost already a museum, since I order everything actually only still on-line, seen and tried again and felt for very pleasant He recalls Blue Dylan, which was probably an answer to the many new aquatics with Ambroxan at the time.
Next to the iris-hype the aquatic wave, which was already there 25 years ago, is here again. Only sweeter, fresher and mostly composed with seasoning or wood.
This majeure is right for days with over 30 degrees.
No one controls the freshness and spice so well at the moment. There is only Fresh or Spicy, both can be suitably brought this well. The performance is also quite pleasant and strong.

There was a Lanvin about ten years ago which was similar in appearance, but much, much stronger.
Today there are only night or intense names for the more dominant fragrances, which were not nearly as strong as a classic Fougere from the eighties.

For a feel-good evening with the right companion or in the office.
There is no situation, which does not fit to this smell. On the one hand this is good, on the other hand it is a small shortcoming if one compares the current aquatic king with Fougereakzent Dylan Blue. He's even more sophisticated and perfect
Nevertheless a good attempt to get out of the same and almost indistinguishable Nuit series. There are too many of these bottles which do not differ optically any more and one does not know after the handle in the shelf any more, which one actually tested now.

Despite all the prophecies of doom I had a good feeling like Andi.

DPArtistDPArtist 10 months ago
I prefer this to the 'Super' follow up for some reason. It really conjures up a marine vibe, not a sunny seaside but a windy grey ocean feel
HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
5.5
Fresh start is interesting, but it only lasts a few seconds. Then, ambery-aquatic-sweetish synthetic hodgepodge takes completely over.

by Cervo
by Cervo

Popular Issey Miyake

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Or Encens by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Pulse of the Night by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake A Drop d'Issey by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Noir Argent by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey Light by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Parfum) by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Parfum by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Fraîche) by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Polaris by Issey Miyake Pleats Please L'Eau by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme - Shades of Kolam / ロードゥ イッセイ プールオム シェード オブ コーラム by Issey Miyake A Scent by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Eau d'Été Summer Edition 2013 by Issey Miyake