L'Eau d'Issey 1992Eau de Toilette

L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Issey Miyake for women and was released in 1992. The scent is fresh-floral. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesCyclamen, Freesia, Lotus, Melon, Rose water
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Lily, Lily-of-the-valley, Peony, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Exotic woods, Musk, Osmanthus, Sandalwood, Tuberose, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 28.11.2020.

The fragrant triumvirate of L'Eau d'Issey, Sunflowers and Escape
A long time ago, in the summer of 2018 to be precise, I received a residual bottle of L'Eau d'Issey. I suppose the sender got the TZ as well and unfortunately there was nothing about EdP/EdT on it, but the EdT was linked at that time. And as it turned out, it was obviously the EdP. But I only realized this after I enthusiastically ordered a bottle of the EdT and used it for the first time. The EdT is clear, the liquid in the TZ golden yellow.

Smiling faces on the hike, where a TZ was allowed to join in: "We smelled you from far away". Well, I could understand it, it was also too much of a good thing for me. However, if the mountain rescue had had to pull me out of the wall that day, they would have found me quickly thanks to L'Eau d'Issey...*g* That's how I often feel about the Issey Miyakes - they are quite fierce and by no means Asian-averse. So you should be careful with the dosage. Basically it already smells good and will always remind me of a wonderful mountain tour with great views incl. heavy muscle ache. Only that it smells a little bit different than my bottling.

We didn't really warm up to each other then. The scent found a new home, but I did not forget this scent completely. A short time ago there was another bottle in the exchange game and I got it back into my house. And I think this time I will keep it.

For me, L'Eau d'Issey EdT is very flowery (freesia, cyclamen, lotus), has a slight scent of melon, is aquatic and a little light woodsy. I don't get such a real scent, the scent stays more or less the same as at the beginning. Silage and shelf life are above average in my opinion. In the morning a small sprayer and you are ready for the day. As already mentioned in the title, it smells very similar to Escape and Sunflowers. The silage is not quite as strong as with Escape, but much stronger than with the rather gentle Sunflowers. For me these three fragrances are connected with nice memories and even a good 20 years later I still like this scent very much.

Dewy fresh jump into the 90s
I have known L'Eau d'Issey for a long time "by sight", the bottle has been a regular in the perfumery for many years and there are already several flankers.
But I never really got to grips with it, and had it only removed and fresh in my mind.

Then a few weeks ago a colleague had put it on, with hot 35 degrees and potzblitz ... I was quasi shock in love with this smell! Since my colleague is a multi-sprayer and always puts on a lot in between, I could already see that it was L'Eau d'Issey and only asked her again about the execution... it was the eau de toilette.

For me, L'Eau d'Issey is like a leap back in time to the 90s and yet timeless and modern.
A dewy, green-herbal fragrance, floral and almost metallic. Undercooled. Reminiscent of Eternity, but much fresher and lighter. Like a moss landscape covered in dew.
Most beautiful in spring and now in late summer, when it slowly gets cooler; but also at very hot temperatures, as my colleague has shown.

Even though the market is flooded with aquatic-floral-fresh scents, L'Eau d'Issey is a representative with recognition value and has been around for a long time.
It reminds me of my childhood, this cool freshness is, I think, typical for the 90s.
Even though many outfits and hairstyles from the past were to be run away from, there was a timeless style that still fits today and which in the past could certainly be emphasized with perfumes like L'Eau d'Issey. As an example: Lady Di in casual clothes;-)

I finally bought it for my colleague and now I like to wear it myself. A pleasant, timeless fragrance with good durability and radiance. Perfect for work and leisure time and for all occasions where you want to feel fresh and cared for all around.
A higher dosage cannot hurt. Beautiful bottle, milky and elegant.

The fragrance is really fine, because it is so timeless and can be worn on many occasions, even if it is a little stepmotherly treated here at Parfumo.
In any case my recommendation to all 90s fans who want to revel in old times or those who are looking for THE perfect office clean scent;-)
EsterEverest
Fresh, clear rose meets a mountain stream in the forest
In the forest, there is nothing but clarity,
if you draw your circles there,
so there I met the rose truth,
and knew right away I was in love
She is standing there in the round dance with others,
in beauty they are not inferior,
and moving between old woods,
she kisses me old dreams awake.

Of sunshine and new times,
after too long winter rest,
and smiling, already from far away,
waves to me the spring nymph.

I confess - I bought this fragrance exclusively according to the description.
I did not know what to expect - the comments ranged from "bad" to "great" After a few days wearing it I go with great.
I had eagerly awaited the package and it arrived faster than I had hoped. When I unpack the first surprise - a really nice package, diagonally cut, diamond shaped and therefore very fitting, when I think about it.
Next, the bottle. Elegant, modern - not too extraordinary but I love the cover detail. Like a single drop of water that has landed there by chance and is just waiting to be gently nudged by a fingertip that wants to find out how well it holds.

But now the smell.
The first splash was like the door to a rose boutique opening. My nose is full of it and I smell nothing more than the almost exuberant bouquet that someone is holding in the middle of my face
But not long afterwards the rose steps back and makes room for more. I do not perceive melon, not at all, in fact this perfume is everything, but not fruity.
The adjectives clear, rich, beautiful and elegant come to my mind.
All of the flowers unite to create a single, rich, floral fragrance of a captivating clarity, led by the rose and carried by the woods (which I love, otherwise the fragrance would be pale and pleasing) to a size all its own.
It's a fragrance you can definitely like, but you don't have to and I can well understand why this perfume divides opinions.

The durability is above average and I have the feeling that the scent lingers a little bit in the room before it disappears...
Like a water nymph,
who feels caught.

Zooeywu1989
So in love with l’eau d’issey
Feel so fresh at first then it turns lovely and warm at the middle till the end. Love it so so much that I wear it everyday as my signature scent. I even wear it when I go to bed. I bought the 100ml immediately when I first smelled it.

Bad buy...
Hello dear Community,

i actually wanted to buy the male counterpart to L'Eau d'Issey, but I discreetly sold out... No problem, I also love the "femme" version. ;) So much for the bad buy. ;)

The opening is fruity. So my first association. If I let this fragrance work for a few minutes, I clearly recognize the lotus. I usually let a top note like that scare me away. Too much I have the fear it would soon become too sweet, sticky, even sticky smell. But it comes differently. I now call this fruitiness vitalizing and stimulating. Springlike, or a fruity white wine...
The transition to the heart note is smooth and flowing. My favourite flower, the whiting rose, appears wonderfully and the fruity aroma gives way to the floral aroma without losing its vitalising component. The lily swings softly without overtaxing me and is carried by a hint of lily of the valley. Honestly, I confess nothing of the rose and carnation. As a florist who deals with these flowers on a daily basis, I claim to be able to recognise these aromas. But even with concentration I do not recognize these...
After more than 3 hours I notice warm chords of musk and amber. Gently vibrating, they continue to wear the head and heart notes... I love this fragrance that nothing gets lost until the end in 18-20 hrs. The fruity and floral are still audible, but wrapped in warm aromas of woods, amber and co.
L'Eau d'Issey is skin affine due to the musk and yet blessed with a well perceptible sillage. My colleagues are thrilled every time how "delicious, fresh and clean" I smell when I pass them. I also elicit a commendatory comment from the boys from time to time. When asked whether they would rather declare this fragrance as men or women's fragrance, the spirits divide. That's the way I see it, though, and I feel this scent as unisex. If you want to come across as a masculine man, you CAN layer with a slightly more bitter scent if necessary. I tried Tom Ford Oud Wood. That gives it all a bit more astringency and depth. Find it without layers but definitely better.
The fragrance can carry from age through the bench away anyone. From young to old, man or woman. Also this one is timeless, not for nothing it is in production since 1992 until today.

Prices are from approx. 30€ at Amazon, DM and everywhere where there are fragrances

Strangely Savory
Strangely savory, not much sweetness. Very light, sticks close to the skin. Soft, clean and aquatic florals pair nicely with authentic, mildly sweet melon. Quite natural, unassuming. Nice summer or beachy scent.

Avoirdupois
Ladies at an airport perfume counter asked me what I was wearing!
Sounds unbelievable, but it's true. I was looking at perfumes at a Heathrow, London perfume shop some years back when two ladies behind the counter commented on how lovely I smelled, and asked me what I was wearing!

Yes, it was L'Eau d'Issey -- the ladies' perfume, not the men's.

I wore this as my signature cologne for several years, enjoyed its wonderfully fresh and bright aquatic green open, with its flowery follow-through and its slightly woody & fruity dry-down. Longevity and sillage excellent.

This is a masterpiece of perfumery, deserving of all the praise it attracts. I recently bought another 100ml bottle, and still find it remarkably different, refreshing and happy. It's a welcome uplift for one's mood. And I think it's fine for men as well as for the ladies!

Iconic
Pretty pointless to describe this iconic milestone of modern perfumery, since as like Luca Turin once wrote, each of us has know “a minimum of five people who wore this”... On the other hand, as time goes by, this is starting to become “vintage”, so perhaps younger perfumistas are less familiar with it. Shortly, it’s basically one of the pillars and starting points of all “watery-iodine” family of scents. It opens with an aldehydic, mineral, aqueous sort of blend, with a tropical-fruity accord (smelling like melonal), citrus, a sort of thick white musks note tending towards spicy territories (red pepper?), a quite complex yet elegantly thin floral accord, and a light woody base. All blended together with a metallic, clean, unisex allure, an artificial and abstract shade of creamy white perfectly adherent to the brand’s aesthetics. A sort of “oceanic-tropical futurism” if you want, absolutely innovative for its era. A little cloying perhaps (despite being “white”, it’s not really light, on the contrary it’s bold and quite powerful as regards of projection and persistence), and also perhaps a bit outdated due to the subsequent abuse of these notes, but still fascinating, pleasant and (fairly) distinctive.

7-7,5/10

Complex & Beautiful
Though I fell in love on first sniff, this is no easy fragrance to peg in analysis. Everything about it is complicated. The top - melon & rose? The heart - let's face it, lily and peony are notes that can go very awry. The base - osthmanthus and tuberose? It doesn't compute, except to my nose which adores this distinctive off-beat scent. Without the strong classic base notes, it probably wouldn't work, but it does work. Think a farmer's market in the spring. No, better. A melon breakfast at a dairy in a spring meadow by a lake.

p.s. days later:

No wonder analysis of this perfume eluded me. It's a trailblazer in the aquatics genre I've yet to explore. This fragrance contains Calone, a "fresh, watery, clean, melon, green, ocean"* scent that was a big hit in the 90's. It also has Helional, a "floral, green aldehydic, ozone (fresh air/marine)" note. It's probably the source of the cyclamen listed in the pyramid. Now that I've found and smelled them, I'll recognize this classic aquatic accord, done beautifully here.

*per The Perfumer's Apprentice "Guide to the Notes of Perfumery."

Aloof, Clean, 90s
Very distinct, L'EAU D'ISSEY is a wonderful addition to your catalog of scents because it's unlike anything you already own... that is, unless you own CHLOE. They're kissing cousins for sure. This is a cool scent that is far from timeless. It's very 90s.

It works year round and is wonderful layered with a warmer (unsweetened) vanilla! A good office scent. Not a sexy date night fragrance.

Jazzy76Jazzy76 3 years ago
At every concert I wore my Eau d'Issey as a second skin because its clean and fizzy scent gave me good vibrations!

by ElenaN
by Perdita666
by Perdita666
by SunEternity
by SunEternity
Wer kennt noch die Issey Miyake Körpercreme in dem soliden Glasstiegel?
by Chnokfir
by Chanelle
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Issey Miyake

Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Or Encens by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Pulse of the Night by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Noir Argent by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey Light by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Fraîche) by Issey Miyake Pleats Please L'Eau by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Parfum) by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Parfum by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Absolue by Issey Miyake A Scent by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Eau d'Été Summer Edition 2013 by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Oceanic Expedition by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Polaris by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Bleu Astral by Issey Miyake