L'Eau d'Issey (1992) Eau de Toilette

L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake

L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Issey Miyake for women and was released in 1992. The scent is fresh-floral. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesCyclamen, Freesia, Lotus, Melon, Rose water
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Lily, Lily-of-the-valley, Peony, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Exotic woods, Musk, Osmanthus, Sandalwood, Tuberose, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.10.2019

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Zooeywu1989
So in love with l’eau d’issey
Feel so fresh at first then it turns lovely and warm at the middle till the end. Love it so so much that I wear it everyday as my signature scent. I even wear it when I go to bed. I bought the 100ml immediately when I first smelled it.
10.0 8.0 8.0 8.5/10

Bad buy...
Hello dear Community,

i actually wanted to buy the male counterpart to L'Eau d'Issey, but I discreetly sold out... No problem, I also love the "femme" version. ;) So much for the bad buy. ;)

The opening is fruity. So my first association. If I let this fragrance work for a few minutes, I clearly recognize the lotus. I usually let a top note like that scare me away. Too much I have the fear it would soon become too sweet, sticky, even sticky smell. But it comes differently. I now call this fruitiness vitalizing and stimulating. Springlike, or a fruity white wine...
The transition to the heart note is smooth and flowing. My favourite flower, the whiting rose, appears wonderfully and the fruity aroma gives way to the floral aroma without losing its vitalising component. The lily swings softly without overtaxing me and is carried by a hint of lily of the valley. Honestly, I confess nothing of the rose and carnation. As a florist who deals with these flowers on a daily basis, I claim to be able to recognise these aromas. But even with concentration I do not recognize these...
After more than 3 hours I notice warm chords of musk and amber. Gently vibrating, they continue to wear the head and heart notes... I love this fragrance that nothing gets lost until the end in 18-20 hrs. The fruity and floral are still audible, but wrapped in warm aromas of woods, amber and co.
L'Eau d'Issey is skin affine due to the musk and yet blessed with a well perceptible sillage. My colleagues are thrilled every time how "delicious, fresh and clean" I smell when I pass them. I also elicit a commendatory comment from the boys from time to time. When asked whether they would rather declare this fragrance as men or women's fragrance, the spirits divide. That's the way I see it, though, and I feel this scent as unisex. If you want to come across as a masculine man, you CAN layer with a slightly more bitter scent if necessary. I tried Tom Ford Oud Wood. That gives it all a bit more astringency and depth. Find it without layers but definitely better.
The fragrance can carry from age through the bench away anyone. From young to old, man or woman. Also this one is timeless, not for nothing it is in production since 1992 until today.

Prices are from approx. 30€ at Amazon, DM and everywhere where there are fragrances
6.0 6.0 7.0 6.0/10

Strangely Savory
Strangely savory, not much sweetness. Very light, sticks close to the skin. Soft, clean and aquatic florals pair nicely with authentic, mildly sweet melon. Quite natural, unassuming. Nice summer or beachy scent.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Avoirdupois
Ladies at an airport perfume counter asked me what I was wearing!
Sounds unbelievable, but it's true. I was looking at perfumes at a Heathrow, London perfume shop some years back when two ladies behind the counter commented on how lovely I smelled, and asked me what I was wearing!

Yes, it was L'Eau d'Issey -- the ladies' perfume, not the men's.

I wore this as my signature cologne for several years, enjoyed its wonderfully fresh and bright aquatic green open, with its flowery follow-through and its slightly woody & fruity dry-down. Longevity and sillage excellent.

This is a masterpiece of perfumery, deserving of all the praise it attracts. I recently bought another 100ml bottle, and still find it remarkably different, refreshing and happy. It's a welcome uplift for one's mood. And I think it's fine for men as well as for the ladies!

Iconic
Pretty pointless to describe this iconic milestone of modern perfumery, since as like Luca Turin once wrote, each of us has know “a minimum of five people who wore this”... On the other hand, as time goes by, this is starting to become “vintage”, so perhaps younger perfumistas are less familiar with it. Shortly, it’s basically one of the pillars and starting points of all “watery-iodine” family of scents. It opens with an aldehydic, mineral, aqueous sort of blend, with a tropical-fruity accord (smelling like melonal), citrus, a sort of thick white musks note tending towards spicy territories (red pepper?), a quite complex yet elegantly thin floral accord, and a light woody base. All blended together with a metallic, clean, unisex allure, an artificial and abstract shade of creamy white perfectly adherent to the brand’s aesthetics. A sort of “oceanic-tropical futurism” if you want, absolutely innovative for its era. A little cloying perhaps (despite being “white”, it’s not really light, on the contrary it’s bold and quite powerful as regards of projection and persistence), and also perhaps a bit outdated due to the subsequent abuse of these notes, but still fascinating, pleasant and (fairly) distinctive.

7-7,5/10
10.0 7.5 9.0/10

Complex & Beautiful
Though I fell in love on first sniff, this is no easy fragrance to peg in analysis. Everything about it is complicated. The top - melon & rose? The heart - let's face it, lily and peony are notes that can go very awry. The base - osthmanthus and tuberose? It doesn't compute, except to my nose which adores this distinctive off-beat scent. Without the strong classic base notes, it probably wouldn't work, but it does work. Think a farmer's market in the spring. No, better. A melon breakfast at a dairy in a spring meadow by a lake.

p.s. days later:

No wonder analysis of this perfume eluded me. It's a trailblazer in the aquatics genre I've yet to explore. This fragrance contains Calone, a "fresh, watery, clean, melon, green, ocean"* scent that was a big hit in the 90's. It also has Helional, a "floral, green aldehydic, ozone (fresh air/marine)" note. It's probably the source of the cyclamen listed in the pyramid. Now that I've found and smelled them, I'll recognize this classic aquatic accord, done beautifully here.

*per The Perfumer's Apprentice "Guide to the Notes of Perfumery."
10.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Aloof, Clean, 90s
Very distinct, L'EAU D'ISSEY is a wonderful addition to your catalog of scents because it's unlike anything you already own... that is, unless you own CHLOE. They're kissing cousins for sure. This is a cool scent that is far from timeless. It's very 90s.

It works year round and is wonderful layered with a warmer (unsweetened) vanilla! A good office scent. Not a sexy date night fragrance.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Tessa
Who has not tried it yet?
I did. It is a good, strong enough aquatic . It was so much written about it that I will not punish you with more "wattery" words. I would allow me to give you a suggestion on how to enjoy it more than on your skin: spray it in your closet, the one with the winter cloths or on the rack of scarves and you will be delighted by the longevity and the loyalty of this perfume.
5.0 7.5 6.0/10

One of the better aquatics
L'eau D'Issey is one of the world's biggest sellers, I know that much. As soon as I smelt this, I knew that I had smelt it on many women before, especially around Summer time.

I'm not a huge fan of floral aquatics. After smelling L'eau D'Issey I'm still not, but I do appreciate it as being one of the better ones on the market.

This fragrance opens very fresh and clean with a subtle sweetness. The melon is the most prominent note to my nose, with the rose, freesia and lotus giving this fragrance a slightly soapy feel.

It's not salty like some aquatics tend to be, rather it turns powdery and musky as it develops on the skin. It sometimes reminds me of the scent of freshly washed linen.

I think aquatics in general are an acquired taste. For some they are refreshing and clean, emulating the feeling of just stepping out of the shower. For other people, like myself, they tend to smell artificial, like chemicals fermenting in a test tube. L'eau D'Issey thankfully isn't as chemical as some I've smelt in the past.

L'eau D'Issey is a rather strong fragrance, with commendable lasting power. I find its crispness in hot weather very appealing, however this is a scent that I would particularly detest in a crowded space or during unsuitable weather.
7.5 7.5 4.0/10

Intertextual Aquatic Frag
Talk about inter(perfume)textuality! L'EAU D'ISSEY reminds me in oscillating waves of nothing else in reality but two other perfumes: L'ACQUA DI GIO and Calvin Klein ESCAPE. This is definitely a member of the aquatic family of fragrances, as forever defined by ESCAPE, created one year before, in 1991.

L'EAU D'ISSEY opens with juicy synthetic melon and then proceeds swiftly to essentially turn into ESCAPE. In the drydown, I find no discernible difference between the two perfumes. Both are strong. Both have this weird "je ne sais quoi" never existed before 1991 synthetic-aquatic feeling.

Unfortunately, while sampling L'EAU D'ISSEY, I realized that my fondness for ESCAPE is purely nostalgic. I cannot honestly say that I like this scent. It seems too sweet to be oceanlike, which would be salty instead. So this is not even quasi-aquatic; it's pseudo-aquatic. But on the rare occasion when I feel like walking down ESCAPE memory lane, I still have half a bottle of that left, more than enough to make it through several lifetimes, given the strength of the composition.

Needless to say, I won't be adding L'EAU D'ISSEY to my collection. But I can say that those who like this fragrance would like ESCAPE as well. And those who don't would not.

Jazzy76 22 months ago
At every concert I wore my Eau d'Issey as a second skin because its clean and fizzy scent gave me good vibrations!
5.0

by Perdita666
by Perdita666
by SunEternity
by SunEternity
Wer kennt noch die Issey Miyake Körpercreme in dem soliden Glasstiegel?
by Chnokfir
by Chanelle
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Issey Miyake

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake Pleats Please (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake A Scent by Issey Miyake L'Eau Majeure d'Issey by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Florale by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Absolue by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Fraîche) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey Light by Issey Miyake Pleats Please (Eau de Parfum) (2013) by Issey Miyake Pleats Please L'Eau by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Parfum by Issey Miyake A Scent Florale by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pure Nectar de Parfum by Issey Miyake