L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (1994) Eau de Toilette

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake
Bottle Design: Fabien Baron

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Issey Miyake for men and was released in 1994. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesVerbena, Coriander, Mandarin, Clary sage, Yuzu, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesBourbon geranium, Nutmeg, Saffron, Waterlily, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Cypriol, Musk, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Vetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.08.2019

5.0 8.0 8.0 4.0/10

Crystal Cult 2080
The idea of the smell of water, clear lines and calm, minimalism, rock gardens.
Zen or what was left of it. The Great Nippon 1994, Orientalism 2.0.

No time to breathe deeply, however, after spraying on: like glistening neon light, the aroma chemicals, which are now well known from various household products, jump into your face. Very briefly there is some citrus fruit, Yuzu for my sake, then the molecules, all of which at some point shortly after their creation have received the stamp of "freshness" from their creators, push forward and rather violently. It smells like a new station wagon, professional cleaning, room scenting, ironed shirt and cleaned hands. The relevant musk derivatives meet ambroxan and muscate/peppery spices and remain arrested for hours in their piercing urgency.
With the abstraction to the water thought there was perhaps irony in the game, who knows, but I rather think about laser beams.
The supposed overdosage of certain fragrances has always been an important stylistic device (think of No.5, Cool Water, TdH etc...), for which one can/must give artistic recognition, but I don't necessarily want to be permanently exposed to this representative, although I don't want to deny his importance and the idea of laser beams and digital crystal worlds would be an attractive associative alternative.

P.S.: If you still don't want to do without Yuzu with harsh aquatics in summer, we recommend "Note de Yuzu" as a test tip.

"Toujours l´amour!"
I hate the fucking '90s. Sure, there was the whole crossover cult, grunge, baggy pants, the first ecstasy pills, booming techno parties in Berlin air-raid shelters and of course a lot that broke with conventions. And that's how I understand this scent. Belletrud has implemented an aquatic harsh synthetic to a conventional citric scent, which did not reinvent the wheel, but nevertheless created its very own coding. Beyond the sex mark. Classic enough to be absorbed by the mainstream, different enough to fit into the mood of optimism of the nineties.

On a purely formal level: In order to add an extra twist to the concept of classic freshness in favour of independence, the perfumer also created an almost earthy bed of cypriol and musk, which perhaps brings the stale flower water to mind. What amazes me, on the other hand, is the incredible durability created by this woody-earthy base, on which the dry and bitter freshness always triumphantly celebrates its audacious synthetics. Perhaps the Ambroxan base note even lays the foundation for all these fresh shower gel fragrances that populate the globe today and have reached their sad climax in Dior Sauvage. (at least I think that the development from "Allure" to "L'Homme" from Yves Saint Laurent to "Sauvage" shows a certain chain, even if they are completely different fragrances)

I cannot even say that I like or ever liked "L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme", but as representative as a "Le Mâle" or "CK One", this fragrance is an unmistakable child of its time, which set a mark in the mainstream segment at that time, and which only had a similarly strong impact on the entire market with the launch of the first "Dior Homme". I never liked these fragrances either, but their influence on the following appearances and trends should not remain hidden from me.

So you don't have to celebrate any of these fragrances today and praise them for their green clover, but above all these perfumes had one thing in mind: a gradual abolition of sexuality, even if the name of the fragrance still mentions the man. The nineties just weren't quite that far, but today there would certainly be as many women as men who would wear a "Dior Homme"... (if they weren't distracted by marketing... by the same marketing that wants to make men believe that a "Dior Homme" is a men's scent, by the way.) . All these scents played with the gender roles. Here are the floral aspects of rose and lily and Dior's iris.

So I find this Japanese newbie very courageous and actually ahead of his time. And that completely without experiments or unspeakably abstract mechanisms in it. Perhaps my thoughts are too far-fetched when exploring this seemingly banal fragrance, but somehow today, when I first came into contact with this fragrance for over 10 years, an incredible number of pictures flew through my dusty head. Also the truncated beard of Gigi d´Agostino, who gave me with the song mentioned in the title an always hidden love, about which one in my social environment better did not speak. Here Slayer, Testament and Napalm Death belonged to the good sound and the boys were not yet so far the view over the edge of the Mosh Pits to let wander and so I have always concealed that I have always loved "Toujours l ´amour" as much as I have secretly loved the girlfriend of my best friend.

Today I stand by my taste. Beyond recognition and zeitgeist. I would prefer "Dior Homme Cologne" in its old version to this fragrance, but I would still recommend to everyone to put up with this work before using current fragrances. Could pay off and have gained exclusivity due to lower popularity. It is also cheaper than "Sauvage". Win-Win at its best
8.0 6.0 7.0 9.5/10

Fresh fresh Fresh
If i needed something to brighten my day , i will always go for this delightful perfume !
Fresh spice , Fresh citrus .... does not smell cheap at all
8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Oske7
Great scent, needs many sprays
I need to spray this one a LOT to get any kind of performance out of it, but in general I love the smell. It's a very fresh citrus, not at all cloying to me in any way. Lasts a decent amount of time with enough sprays. The weaker sillage may also may be due to the small atomizer on my bottle. Overall I've worn this twice now and will definitely be wearing it a lot the rest of the summer.
6.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Cell
I really don't get it...
I just really don't get the hype over this fragrance. Sure it's pleasant but I think there are better options out there.

At first blast, there's the strong citrus smell(yuzu). At this point, all the notes are just mashed together. You can smell the citruses, spices and woods all at the same time. After several minutes, the citruses die down a bit and you will get this bitter, spicy scent. This stage becomes linear and goes on until it fades away.

Sillage is okay but longevity is abysmal. I got a newer batch so maybe I'm missing the grandeur of the old formulation that enthralled many of its fans.
6.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

One of the Best Citruses I've smelled
This one is MUST, and definitely a nice blind buy, for any citrus lover.

It kinda reminded me - in a far more refined way, of course - a fragrance we've got here in Brasil, called "Arbo", by Natura.

The citric, fresh, aquatic notes in L'eau D'issey makes it a trully masterpiece for anyone who enjoys these kind of scents.

Lasted a good 7-8hrs in my skin.
Sillage is ok as it is, it's not invasive or too strong.

Great!
6.0 6.0 7.0 5.5/10

Unusal yet not for me
I do a lot of blind buys and out of all of them this frag is my biggest regret... I can see why so many people enjoy it but it just does not agree with my nose. It has that strong citrus (yuzu) scent right off the bat but to me it just smells like urine. The perfume develops nicely into a earthen vaguely powdery citrus smell yet I still get mostly pee from it and it's a wicked turn off. This is a big disappointment to me as I had high hopes for it, I even went as far as to buy the big bottle which was a bad decision. Again it's unusual and may be for some people but for the rest of us there's just something not right going on....
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A Citrus Scent
This scent starts off on a citrus note and gradually evolves into a woody note. On a good day L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme will make you happy. Many say it's a crowd pleaser, but I sometimes don't find this cologne fascinating. I got it as a gift, otherwise i would have chosen Acqua di Gio or Terre d'Hermes.

But yet it's a well constructed scent.
7.5 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Very nice aquatic
The first time that i smell this fragrance was weird, i did not get any "aquatic" notes, to me are all "green" (it remind me a walk for a path with abundant vegetation).

But my wife loves it and after some tests, i learn to love it too. Other people have the same reaction: Some loves and some think that is a weird fragrance.

PROS:
- Unusual fragrance.
- Very well made.
- Very good projection and sillage (its really nice).
- Long lasting power (unsual in a aquatic)
- Ladies like it.

CONS:
- Unusual fragrance (some people can think that is weird).

For me, it's a must have. Definitly, try it.

Regards.
7.5 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Favorite!
Thats a wonderful citric floral for all seasons.

It's classic and timeless.

Not too sweet, not too citric: it's a very well balanced scent - lots of yuzu and other citruses very well blended with herbs and a little of woods.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are excellent!

Definetely a MUST HAVE! Worth a bottle and a backup bottle! Thumbs up.

Updated January 2014

Drseid
One Of My Two Least Liked Fragrances...
Agree with the negative comments on the web... I found this one extremely cloying and synthetic, and way too floral for my tastes. I am so very glad I got a sample to try of this before buying, as it saved me some big bucks. Personally I would buy Bellagio for Men by Parlux over this that is 1/4 the price, somewhat similar, and much, much better smelling. 1 star out of 5. This is tied with Secretions Manifiques as my least liked scent.
5.0 7.5 6.0/10

One of my favourite masculine aquatics
L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme is lovely and crisp. Issey Miyake is certainly the house to go to if fresh, citrusy or aquatic Summer scents are what you crave.

Scents like these are often what my male friends tend to always smell like. For this reason, crisp and clean scents put me at ease, however they don't entice me or turn me on. Which is a good thing.

The scent is a little predictable, however I really like it in its inoffensive and refreshing state. There's nothing nicer than a man that smells clean.

L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme opens with zesty citrus, mostly the bright, sparkly, yellow kind, with a subtle hint of garden herbs. As it develops further, the watery aspect becomes apparent with a slight sea water saltiness counteracting with the woodsy and somewhat bitter vetiver.

Some reviewers are saying that this composition is quite synthetic smelling. While I somewhat agree, being one that finds almost all aquatics quite chemical, L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme doesn't smell too much like a scientist's lab. The synthetic ingredients are only very light on, not nearly as harsh as some aquatic fragrances are.

The longevity is superb, if not the longest lasting masculine aquatic I've ever encountered. I can understand why this fragrance is so popular amongst the men during Summer and a particular favourite among the women.
1.0/10

eau de high school?
To me, this is very cheap and fake aquatic, the sort of thing a guy puts on to let you know he's making an effort, even though he doesn't like colognes. I tried using up my sample as a room spray, but it just made me think of some high school guy dressed up for a "big date." (I know this wasn't around when I was in high school, but something similar must have been.) On the other hand, I see that so many men on here have this - makes me wonder whether it smells very different on a man than it does on me or in the air. (052309)

DPArtist 13 days ago
So full of character! A sharp, crisp citrus and spice. Cavallier's uniquely classy concoction may split opinion but is a sure-fire classic!
Hoban27 53 days ago
this is a magnificent fragrance but after reformulation they killed it (thumbs down) .......
Firasmalanzy 16 months ago
I tested it , it citrucy good for using in summer but for me i didn't like it that much.
6.0
6.0
4.0
MrHonest 22 months ago
2 years BEFORE ADG, and better than ADG. Anyone else?+6
H27 23 months ago
I'm just a simple user. It seems that this fragrance is well "seen" and I like citruses but I did not like this. I am sorry.
2.0

by Nizarito
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Issey Miyake

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake Pleats Please (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake A Scent by Issey Miyake L'Eau Majeure d'Issey by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Florale by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Absolue by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Fraîche) by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey Light by Issey Miyake Pleats Please (Eau de Parfum) (2013) by Issey Miyake Pleats Please L'Eau by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake A Scent Florale by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Parfum by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pure Nectar de Parfum by Issey Miyake