L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense 2007

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense is a perfume by Issey Miyake for men and was released in 2007. The scent is spicy-citrusy. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Mandarin orange zest, Yuzu
Heart Notes Heart NotesCamphor, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Saffron, Blue lotus
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Papyrus, Benzoin, Frankincense

Submitted by Schoen, last update on 23.12.2020.

Elegant woody-spicy-incensy
A very good fragrance, way above its price tag, that stood the test of time.
L'Eau d'Issey PH Intense starts woody spicy with all the citric notes balancing each other perfectly, adding in background a great cardamom-nutmeg combo, very well integrated. When the middle notes take the stage, you can feel a warm-spicy smell (lotus, saffron, cinnamon), joining naturally the remaining of fresher top notes. After a few hours, it keeps some of the dark freshness on my skin, becoming more woody-incensy and showing an air of elegant man.
Very good value for the money and pretty long lasting (8-10 hrs). My personal rank 8.5/10, recommended.

Based on a true story.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, but ironically in this one, and not that long ago actually... I didn't appreciate this one for what it was. The simple fact was that my skin and incense didn't get along. They still don't, but I just stopped caring. I've heard that's the mark of a true fragrance enthusiast. Hate what everyone else loves and learn to love what you hate. Or, you know, just stop hating. That'll do too.

Anyway, when L'eau d'Issey Intense hit my skin the first 5 times, all I got was the smell of a dry potato covered in spice, sitting patiently in the waiting room of a dentist's office, waiting for its turn to get a root canal. To put it plainly, it was harsh, chemically and generally unpleasant. True, a whisper of the original was still in there somewhere (the part I enjoyed), but markedly overshadowed by the strong and piercing spices, camphorous notes and earthy tones. Ostensibly, the mind sees what it wants; and surprise surprise, a moderately virgin nose didn't "get it."

But I wasn't the only one. Every time I passed the giant box on the discount rack, it appeared to be the only one people didn't want. A stack of about 4 or 5 waited in vain for a new home, like a sad lineup of ugly or misbehaved orphans in grey garb, cold, ashen faces, and an air of general despair. So like any other sensible person, I left them alone. But they kept showing up, and every time I went back for a sniff, the same thing happened - I pulled back in apparent revulsion, not knowing that, in time, my subconsious would gradually become accustomed to the experience...

And then one day, I couldn't help myself. The discount rack became discounted once more and I capitulated. Full bottle. Spray on the arm, spray on the other arm. And what did I smell?? The same goddamn thing. But what's this? A thin underlying sweetness in the background? A clear yuzu rind and cardamom? A stack of papery cardboard? Somehow, it seems that my mind became bored with the 'same old' and began searching for something new. And boy did it find it.

Shortly thereafter, I hit the gym for a proper test and what transpired was a revelation. Of sorts. As my body began to heat up, the sweetness came out more and more, eventually balancing the incense note perfectly, to where, in the drydown, the sense of a honeydewed yuzu was rather prominent, dancing to the tune of a quasi-oriental.....aquatic? Yes indeed, the density of the composition was unmistakable. Compared with other citrus-heavy fragrances, this stuff is a cinderblock that crushes toes. And funnily enough, some people pick up on that piercing cement-like quality rather early on. To me, it's the sweetness from the benzoin that saves it. It seems that JCB knew what he was doing after all.

But the bottom line is that L'eau d'Issey Intense is simply more interesting than most freshies out there; and for an intellectual who suffers from chronic boredom, it's a breath of spicy air - with decent longevity and projection to boot! Sure, it may have taken me over a year to understand the stuff, but from what I've read, that seems to be par for the course. Unless you adore spicy potatoes that is. And I don't. But apparently I'm learning.

So all in all, I'd say that by today's standards, L'eau d'Issey Intense is a wonderfully crafted fragrance. Dense, honeyed yuzu and incense to stand apart from the crowd in virtually all occassions, joining the ranks of two of my favourite flankers - Sport and L'eau Bleue d'Issey, both of which feature distinctly unique twists on the original. And one more important thing - the sillage is far more appealing than smelling it up close - something that us enthusiasts have difficulty grasping with our incessant nose digging. It's no shame by the way. We all get there in the end. It just took me a bit longer than most. Hashtag girlfriend approved. May the force be with you.

Criminally underrated
Why this fragrance has a 6.4 score is beyond me. To me this fragrance is just amazing, to balance citrus, spicy and smokey like this is nothing short of ‘genius’.

This one has it all, it lasts, projects, it’s versatile and the scent itself is hauntingly beautiful. The opening is citrusy and fresh with some smokey and darker undertones that grow bigger and start to take over as it dries down. After a while the freshness take a back seat in favor of the cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg however you can always get traces of that citrus every now and then.

Light and dark masterfully blended together complementing each other, yin yang and a fragrance worth repurchasing.

Darkbeat
A fresh, citrus and light incense.
This perfume is a fairly light and fresh incense, and, when I say light, I do not mean a scarce or weak aroma, no, I mean that the incense in this fragrance, despite being the protagonist, is executed to create a refreshing and quite versatile aroma, far from the treatment, of this note, which I am used to in oriental, where they are generally dense and opulent aromas.

The beginning is very citrus and fresh, with an outstanding yuzu very energizing, but lasts a blink, because, at the moment, the incense is incorporated into the mixture, providing a balsamic and smoky touch to the citrus freshness of the beginning, creating a fresh aroma , sweet and smoky, but equally elegant and fine, I like it. Then, the citrus fruits go down in intensity and the spices are incorporated, highlighting the cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg, feeling the spicy aroma, but in a clean and fresh way, very balanced and really beautiful. Gradually these spices decrease in intensity, and the aroma begins to sweeten and feel woody. Amber and benzoin give him that resinous and balsamic sweetness, and the papyrus has to be in charge of that woody sensation, which he would not know how to define, but that does not get to smell of wood, is rather a hint of it, but equally beautiful, masculine and elegant. The truth is that I did not expect such a fresh and versatile incense, a young and cheerful aroma, executed very elegantly.

In my skin the duration has been good, between 6 and 7 hours with a moderate wake, not bad. A very versatile aroma that you can wear at any season and time, and also for any occasion.

AgnesEva
Can't understand the negative ratings.
I have recommended the fragrance many times and everyone liked it. A smoky version of the original, deeper, more sensual, spicier... The Miyake DNA on drug so to speak. Bright and dark, refreshing and beguiling at the same time. Yuzu in the top note convinces with energy, in the heart note it gets warmer and sexier and papyrus with incense dances at the end with ambergris and benzoin a slow tango. A fragrance that can be worn anytime, anywhere. One of my absolute Miyake favorites. Why so few people here understand and love this fragrance is a mystery to me.

issey intence
Just need a little understanding of her concept. citrus - incense love ❤️ mandarin citrus - yuzu - incense smoke . lasting 8-9 hours. hot weather- cold weather no problem_- spices and smoke-
They help in the cold. nice scent

Carlitos01
Fresh, spicy and smoky - love or hate?
In my profile I say that I only review scents I like. With Eau d'Issey Intense It's clear for me that I don't love it but it's not clear if I like it or if I don't. I had to own this fragrance anyway as its perfumist - Jacques Cavalier - is the nose behind jewals like, Dior Midnight Poison, Bvlgari Aqva and Aqva Amara (all the Aqvas actually), Cartier Pasha For men, L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme and Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, M7 and Elle, and many others.
I don't consider this Intense version as a flanker of the original L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme. It's an "independent" creation with almost no ties to the original EDT.
The fragrance opens with a strong dry yuzu note (not a big deal for me as I really don't like bitter dry aromas remembering toniq water), with sour mandarine peel (not for me as well) and some orange and bergamot. The citrus side of this opening is a strange one and not really the type of citrus scent I am used to like due its sourness, bitterness and dryness.
The heart notes reveal a strong camphor and cardamom. The bitterness becomes balsamic. The cinnamon middle note is almost non detectable and cannot impose its swetness.
The bottom notes with a strong incense and ambergris notes amplify the balsamic aura but also give the fragrance a dark smoky accord that i find pleasant. However the disagreable dryness and austerity is sustained now with a very dry papyrus note.
In the drydown, amber and benzoin make the bitter dryness recede a bit. The smoky darkness (more grey than black) also prevails in this phase. This accord is somewhat similar to the tarmac/concrete vibe that you get from For Him EDT by Narciso Rodriguez.
The sillage and projection are average, and the longevity is slightly above average.

What do I get from the Eau d'Issey Intense math?
Scent Opening: 6.0 (my judgement)
Scent Dry Down: 8.0 (my judgement)
Longevity: 6.5 (2 good sprays may last 4~6 hours)
Sillage: 6.5 (3~4feet at its peak with just 2 sprays)
Uniqueness: 9.5 (The smoky accord of this fragrance evoques For Him EDT by Narciso Rodriguez)
Wearability: 10.0 (a four seasons scent either in outdoors or indoors, day or night)
Versatility: 8.0 ("all around" versatile fragrance; some specific fragrances may be better for specific environments like intimacy, dates, night out, office, gymn, beach, outdoor activities in very hot days, very cold days or nights)
Compliments: 5.0 (This fragrance it's not a compliment magnet, not even close)
Quality: 8.0 (Above average quality, quality ingredients, nice flask, nice sprayer)
Presentation: 8.0 (no faults, elegant traditional Issey Miyake flask)
Price: 8.5 (100 ml non tester for € 23 + shipping)

Overall rating: 7.64/10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
Advice: I recommend this fragrance only to those people who really like dry, bitter citrus fragrances. Try before you buy. I will not buy this fragrance again.
Intensive next to
Unfortunately this one is miles away from the original. Here the employees of the Shiseido Group probably had to bring a quick shot with the fashion name intense onto the market in 2007. Otherwise I cannot explain this rather unsuccessful smell to myself.
What is equally exciting is the stamina with which the ladies and gentlemen have pushed many intense, nuit's and perfumes into the fragrance world, with quite manageable success.
That is a pity, because there are quite very good L'Eau d'Isseys which have their authority.
This one here, when you've got a closet full, isn't a mandatory must-have.
Unfortunately, it seems rather stale and unpleasant.
Something musty bothers me, and too many components don't fit together. I can say yes to orange at first. After that the camphor and the cinnamon is only strange and in no way harmonious with the nutmeg or the water lily. As analysis to what I dislike so much.

So people, if you want to wear good scents from Shiseido, you can resort to Nuit dissey or L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport. These are both very pleasant, long lasting and with a pleasant sillage.
This one better not be.

Elysium
Stunning like a big whoa!
I am a big fan of Issey Miyake's scents, and I think I have or have had almost all the original ones and all the flankers. Yeah, I do agree with other guys who feel not much similarity to the original Eau d'Issey, however, there's a vague reminiscence of it, perhaps cause they share some spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and saffron, but that's it. This one is not as citrusy as the original, though the trail has something that reminds its eldest sibling.

The opening is stunning! At the first stage, the darkly citrus notes of tangerine peel, enhanced with bergamot, yuzu, and sweet orange peel's juice wrap you like a blanket. I said darkly since that aura is ain't like familiar spring/summer citrusy scents, preferably a spectacular blend of tart peels that you can't get enough.

That alchemy potion gives way to an astringent spice combination of balsamic camphor, cardamom, and spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, and saffron. At this second stage, it is kind of like a whoa! All those middle notes are freshened with blue water lily, which adds an ozone-like note and the unmistakeable L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme signature. The blue water lily was sacred to the ancient Egyptians, ornamental, and sweet-smelling. People describe the smell as being similar to that of a hyacinth, a loquat, and even a banana. Whatever the fragrance is like, the Egyptians loved this plant that represented the sun and rebirth.

Ultimately, the third stage comes, and smoky black incense, sweet ambergris, balsamic benzoin, and dry papyrus wood essence feature in the grave, woody dry-down.

What I like about this scent is the light floral note, which is present everywhere from the opening to the dry-down. Perhaps, that is what makes LIMI similar to its big sibling. The scent is a pleasing, smoky, woody scent. As the name suggests, it is quite an intense, strong scent, although I would say not too overpowering as some other scents. The woody and musky type notes are not overdone, and you can get a sense of the fresh spicy style of this. It's perfect for the autumn or winter and will feel very warm. Great to wear at night events or out with the friends, it's quite an inviting aroma.

In my opinion, on my skin, it performs well from a longevity point of view, and that's why they call it intense, though it does not have the same power and sillage as its big sibling, which trail can be smelt far far away, that is not an issue, it is safe if you dare wearing it at office.

Miaw2
Good mix of woods and incense
For me this one does not smells much like original L'eau D'Issey.

Actually it's a very different and also a great scent, with lots of woods and incense.

There is a little bit of florals with woods and a touch of incense.

Great lasting power, sillage and projection. Thumbs up!

Updated January 2014

HugoderricaHugoderrica 8 months ago
Intense fragrance. Smoky core and forest-like top. Good fragrance, but hard to wear because it is quite bold.
Nik604Nik604 2 years ago
The rating of this gem is a joke! This is far better version of the original. Smoky citrus, resins and spices - a grown up version.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
I don't consider this EDT being a flanker of the original L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme. It's a new creation with almost no ties to the original.

by Vawallpa
by Zauber600
by Acamara
by Acamara

Popular Issey Miyake

Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Or Encens by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Pulse of the Night by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Noir Argent by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey Light by Issey Miyake Pleats Please L'Eau by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Parfum) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Fraîche) by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Parfum by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Absolue by Issey Miyake A Scent by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme - Shades of Kolam / ロードゥ イッセイ プールオム シェード オブ コーラム by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Eau d'Été Summer Edition 2013 by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Oceanic Expedition by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey Eau Fraîche by Issey Miyake