Jacomo de Jacomo (1980)Eau de Toilette

Version from 1980
Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) (Eau de Toilette) by Jacomo

Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jacomo for men and was released in 1980. The scent is spicy-smoky. It was last marketed by Sarbec.

Top Notes Top NotesGalbanum, Cardamom, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Clove, Caraway, Rosewood, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Patchouli

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.01.2020.

8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Minigolf
Full Lotte cool chypre... and warm isser also
That's where Christian Mathieu, the perfumer, really put his foot down. No wonder, in the late 1970s/early 1980s there were no restrictions on fragrances and their use.
Jacomo de Jacomo" contains everything that makes a "full" fragrance, from the "green raw fresh" spices to real clove oil to a "gallon" oakmoss and well "hung" patchouli.
A "spice chypre" as a didactic play for the (they are allowed to...) sweet-powdery posterity of the scent friends.
And a statement of what "cool scents" are.
Although (and precisely because of this) the fragrance heart rises very warmly, sometimes even hotly, in nose and sense by the aforementioned cloves and cinnamon. Good on wet and cold days, "heats up" real good.
But that was by no means all. A thick, green moss carpet spreads very slowly under the warmth and stands in contrast to the inner warmth as a cool-tingy-woody accent in a skilful and interesting anier. But anyone who thinks he suddenly finds himself in a damp and cold forest from a warm fireplace is mistaken.
Because: Patchouli is already ready to hold pleasant warmth, to deepen and enrich the overall fragrance. Warmth with a cool mossy breeze every now and then and a "built-in" scent - kaleidoscope provides even with me, which already sniffed many perfumes, for joyful surprise of the "So-noch- Nicht-Gerochenen"...
No more fragrance!!!

Finally something different again
Today he came in the mail. A blind purchase, like so many of my fragrances, because you can't smell them so easily. In this price segment I find it too costly to send testers back and forth This blind purchase was once again a direct hit. There were already some, but unfortunately not always. ;-)
I definitely have something left for the so-called "old school" scents from the 80s or before. Many of these scents (unfortunately) have an overarching DNA. For example, Giorgio for Men, Bogart, One Man Show or Pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta. Of course, these fragrances don't smell the same, but they have so much in common that I often ask myself: Do I need them all in the collection? But I know for sure that I really don't need another one in this direction.
Therefore my great relief and joy as Jacomo de Jacomo now so not at all in this direction. Smoke, fire, much harsh and very briefly in the first minute a parallel to Encre Noire, which then disappears quite quickly again.
In principle, not much known. After the smoky hammer opening it becomes softer, but never really sweet. Neither at the beginning nor in the course in any way penetrating. Finally something extraordinary again. Great!!
I definitely use it a lot now in winter (yes, in summer I couldn't really imagine it now).
For me a rather timeless fragrance. I would never have guessed the release date to be 1980.
Definitely masculine. But I don't see gold chains and an open pleura shirt.
I don't think Jacome de Jacomo is really fixed in terms of age either.
Who likes it naturally rather fresh and sweet is here wrong at the place.
Otherwise clear recommendation.
7.5 10.0 7.5 9.0/10

Erstwhile Joy...
1991 was a strange year.
On May, I answered to a desperate, poetic ad in a heavy metal magazine.

"I can no longer cope with my existence, in my glaring pitch-black territory, wailing endlessly over the end of the world. My future, a little water in your eyes."

A couple of days later I found her waiting outside my door.
On the same night, while she stood by the window, naked and moonlit, she was emanating a bluish, otherworldly aura in the dark room.
She was the most comfortable while naked person I ever met, stripping herself not only from her clothes, but from norms, rules and conventions as well.
She was a heavy smoker, and what's more, she was playing with the ashes in the ashtray during our long talks.
She had her nails always painted in black.
She always wore an old oversized leather jacket over her gypsy dresses.
She had grey, troubled eyes, which were like two shards of her shattered soul, trying to escape her battered body.
She was tacking cloves in her short maroon hair.
Her rough skin was beaming a surreal torrid smell of cummin and milk.
She was acting crazy most of the time, to the point of wondering whether she was posing a threat to herself.
She taught me how important it is to share your last cigarette.
She showed me the melting point of patience, cause a three hour train ride in order to meet her was always feeling like millennia.
Every street urchin knew her by her first name.
She was living in an old house, with a small yard full with carnation bushes.
Her febrile mind was geysering dark poems; each of them a new cicatrice to a heart already covered with scars.
All I recall is that I kept on following her.
I followed her to her small hometown.
I followed her through her jewel making years.
I followed her on a mountainy island in early autumn.
I followed her in a southern Greek island for a week in summer.
I followed her through a song that I wrote for her and she never listened.
I followed her through countless silent whimpers in empty hotel rooms.
But I was too scared to follow her through life.
Her name was, most ironically, Joy.
Jacomo de Jacomo is how she smelled like.
Joy de Jacomo is how I call it ever since...

Black oddity
Jacomo de Jacomo opens with a hyper-black, hyper-dry fougère blend dusted with an intoxicating, overwhelming dose of dry and bold spices, notably cloves – pungent, harsh, almost rough. Really modern, if you ask me: the structure is of a classic masculine cologne (leather, patchouli, oak moss, woods, etc.), but this ultra-dry, black, spicy fog is pure “future baroque” for me. A really creative variation on the theme. Can’t really describe the smell exactly, but it’s really pungent, sour, dry and as I said, quite harsh. Together with oak moss and leather it creates a threatening and austere feel, like crashing on the dusty arid soil of a black planet (any Sisters of Mercy fan out there?). Think of some dark powerhouses like Krizia Uomo, Krizia Moods, Smalto PH, just with a crazy dose of cloves. Then however, quite soon a bit of the charme fades away; after one hour or so, as the spices tone down, it emerges the bone-structure of Jacomo, which is a more conventional and softer “barbershop” scent: woody, herbal, mossy and soapy, still spicy, dry and dark but a bit more friendly, lighter and more wearable (but also slightly more dull in a way, as without that crazy initial blackness it becomes more close to just another “generic” barbershop scent like many others – still good and still different, just with a bit less of that “special” added value). Anyway: an austere, creative and shady take on the classic masculine scent, fascinating and quite ahead of its time for sure, well crafted and a must for any “gloomy fougères” enthusiast.

7,5/10

(vintage version)

Carlitos01 43 days ago
I hate the cap but love the juice. You get some darkness, earthiness and smoke, but above all, lot's of spices (mainly cloves). Recommended!+3
9.0

by Daljit
by Chnokfir
by Chnokfir

Popular Jacomo

Silences (1978) (Parfum de Toilette) by Jacomo Art Collection by Jacomo #08 by Jacomo Jacomo for Men by Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo Art Collection by Jacomo #09 by Jacomo Aura for Men by Jacomo Silences Purple by Jacomo Jacomo for Men Intense by Jacomo Anthracite pour l'Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Jacomo Eau Cendrée (Eau de Toilette) by Jacomo Paradox Green by Jacomo Jacomo for Her by Jacomo Parfum Rare (Eau de Toilette) by Jacomo Silences (2004) (Eau de Parfum) by Jacomo Silences (Eau de Parfum Sublime) by Jacomo Art Collection by Jacomo #02 by Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo Deep Blue by Jacomo Paradox Blue by Jacomo Chicane (Eau de Toilette) by Jacomo Oud for Men by Jacomo