Classic Black 2009

Classic Black by Jaguar
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
Classic Black is a perfume by Jaguar for men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is being marketed by Lalique Group / Art & Fragrance.

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orange, Green apple, Mandarin orange
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Cardamom, Marine notes, Nutmeg, Black tea
Base Notes Base NotesMoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by TomLavender, last update on 17.09.2020.

4.5
Flashback
The scent reminds me 1:1 of the time when my old friend Nick, we must have been about 14 years old, got his first perfume from his parents. Nothing expensive, nothing special but somehow such a delicious perfume had to smell. Nothing exactly definable, a composition of 100 different things just to smell like an adult. In the meantime I don't like the whole thing anymore. Smells a bit 0815. Only the fresh alcoholic note in the first 30 minutes has something of its own. The shelf life is within a tolerable range for the price, but it is not good at all. The sillage is medium to good, the bottle serves its purpose, but nothing more. You can give the fragrance to a 14 year old without hesitation. For everything beyond that it has too little expressiveness
Pure ambivalence
The scent is admittedly nothing special. He has this drugstore charm and accordingly has a certain synthetic quality, he just lacks a certain kick. And yet I like him very much. At the beginning it smells fresh and then it gets a bit woody, but unfortunately there is always a slight hint of industrial alcohol in the background. That is unfortunately a little pity, because then I would like the scent a little more. That's why I don't use the fragrance that often, but it's still not sold. because I like it despite its presented disadvantages. Well, there is something...
Sand in the gearbox
"The engine roars, grandma giggles, hopefully she's insured!"
Okay, if you know me, you know I don't easily rip a scent up in the air. But I can't help it here. It may have been better 10 years ago, when "Jaguar Classic" was released, but shortly afterwards the reformulation frenzy didn't stop there either.
In some way this EdT doesn't run "round", the well-meant citric notes in the "head" bite each other quite inharmoniously with the quite strong spices in the "scent interior" and these in turn may not fit properly to the "aquatic" which feels rather bitter-salty to my nose.
Like "sand in the gearbox" in an engine, which then makes unpleasant screeching and grinding noises, stutters and occasionally briefly stops.
The "grandma/grandfather" is still very fit and fit to drive, gets into the car, starts the engine and roars away. But don't hear that there's something wrong. Only later, when it starts to "stutter", can he/she stop in time. Prevents worse from happening. ...
.......The sandalwood, the vetiver and the cedar in the "base", some moss and musk soften the unpleasant previous fragrance and are gaaaz at the end quite clearly noticeable. But it doesn't make him really pleasing (FOR ME PERSONALLY) either. The scent wasn't "tilted" either when I tried it at the drugstore. The tester was new and "Jaguar Classic" again in the changing assortment. That's probably not the reason, it's MY RECOMMENDATION. There are certainly quite enthusiastic users of them, and that is the way it should be. Everyone perceives fragrances differently.

Everything but black!
Don't be fooled by his name, because this scent is everything but black!
On my skin Classic Black by Jaguar's introduction is terrific. It opens with a blast of apple juice, balsamic-minty green cardamom, and bitter orange notes, which give this fragrance an interestingly slightly sweet, sharp yet clean quality. Every single note can be detected, and there is no competition between them. The apple is not the dominant note, which makes this scent somewhat different from Boss Bottled yet masculine at the same time.
I sprayed it this early morning on my chest, neck, and wrists, just before dressing, and when I reentered my bedroom, a lovely aroma was lingering in the air. Wow, I think that's amazing.

After some more time, the fresh opening fades away and gives way to the heart accord to play the game. The exciting and pleasant smell is like the aroma you get from a warm cup of black tea with some cardamom seeds inside, while you are sitting outside looking at the sea during the dawn. At this point, its creamy and spicy side begins to reveals. Well, my nose seems to get floral geranium leaves and spicy nutmeg powder barely, but I would like to give it a few more chances, perhaps in a different weather condition. You know, the more you get familiar with a scent, the better you get from it. Hence, it shows a spicy facet with cardamom and nutmeg, along with a touch of geranium and plenty of black tea. Yet, in the heart, seawater nuances.

In the dry down, it leaves a pleasant scent trail of sea note, unsoiled vetiver, and soft white musk, which do work well, and the sandalwood in the background keeps all going well in this scent. Its fougère side emerges with mossy and earthy tones, joined to creamy and sweet notes thanks to tonka beans and cedarwood.

I think there's an excellent balance between the mild fresh notes in the top opposed to the warm tones in the base, a modern and comfortable oriental-fougère scent which can be safely worn at work, in both spring and fall seasons. I could still smell it after 8 hours, and the sillage is yet moderate.

I cannot judge whether it reminds Chrome Legend by Azzaro or not since I have never smelled it before.

Revision. Yesterday I sprayed CB on both my hand and a paper strip for comparing them during the review and... today from time to time a get a whiff of marine note, so intense that I was not able to get while I was wearing it. It seems to be a very long-lasting note!

-Elysium

Hoban27Hoban27 11 months ago
A very good Freshy TEA scent, because it costs 12$ here go hard on the trigger and enjoy it. you'll get complement no doubt good 4 daily use
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
I sprayed this morning just before dressing and when I reentered my bedroom a lovely aroma was lingering in the air. I think it's amazing!

by Parfummaster
by Parfummaster
by Ergreifend
by Ergreifend
by Fencingline
by Fencingline

Popular Jaguar

Classic Gold by Jaguar Classic Red by Jaguar Pace by Jaguar Excellence by Jaguar Excellence Intense by Jaguar Jaguar for Men Ultimate Power by Jaguar Jaguar for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jaguar Signature of Excellence by Jaguar Essentially Jaguar by Jaguar Vision Sport by Jaguar Classic Amber by Jaguar Classic Chromite by Jaguar Vision by Jaguar Performance (Eau de Toilette) by Jaguar Jaguar for Men Imperial by Jaguar Jaguar Prestige (Eau de Toilette) by Jaguar Jaguar for Men Gold in Black by Jaguar Classic (Eau de Toilette) by Jaguar Vision III by Jaguar Pace Accelerate by Jaguar