Ombre Rose L'Original Eau de Parfum

Ombre Rose L'Original (Eau de Parfum) by Jean-Charles Brosseau
Bottle Design: Jean-Charles Brosseau

Ombre Rose L'Original (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Jean-Charles Brosseau for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is floral-powdery. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesRosewood, Honey, Ylang-ylang, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesRose, Lily-of-the-valley, Iris
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Coumarin, Vanilla, Sandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.09.2019

7.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Rosie88
Head jump into the powder can
I received a bottle of Ombre Rose from a dear perfuma, which I had to try out right away:

Rummmms...! With a head jump I land in the powder can...!
Around me everything is white, the powder beats clouds around me...!

After a short time the powder dust settles and I can breathe again....

I look around and notice that I'm not alone here...
A little further away, rose, lily of the valley, iris and ylang ylang cuddle up together.... What are they doing?

Also with a "Rummms" the shy vanilla lands next to me - powdered to the top - and looks just as stunned from the laundry as I do.... Musk "runs" past us and squeezes itself to rose, lily of the valley, iris and ylang ylang...

Very interesting place here... No trace of boredom!

All other colleagues mentioned in the fragrance pyramid I can't see anywhere here, unfortunately... But maybe it's just as well... It's already crowded anyway...

We're all going to be here a long time... is somehow great here!

After about 7 - 8 great powdery hours we dissolve our connection and slowly walk our way...

That was an experience.... WOW!

...I must have again soon... Ombre Rose may move in with me
9.0/10

Motherly signature
This was my mother’s signature day scent back in the day. She wore it for years then one day she just stopped. When I was in my late teens I ran across my mom’s old bottle. It was comforting but I could not bring myself to wear it since it was HER fragrance, not mine. Whenever I felt life was uncertain I took a sniff for a quick pick-me-up. Somewhere in my college years I lost that bottle and had regretted it.

I remembered it being a warm, comforting scent but I could not remember it entirely. I recently bought a large bottle on eBay, trying hard to remember what it was about it that I simply could not let it go. The scent totally jogged my memory and they came flooding back. Every time I take a whiff I am transported back into time, being embraced and assured everything would be alright. Man, it was great being seven years old!

Without the long-winded memories this is still a comforting and safe scent. It is baby powder and honeyed roses with a faintly spicy drydown. It is not complex nor is it altogether original. It is tender and warm, succoring its wearer through chaotic times with its benevolent-scented innocence (if benevolence had its own scent, just imagine). It’s no doubt why a young mother would wear this. Ombre Rose is the kind of scent one would wear when visiting a friend who is blue. You cannot help but feel as if everything will be alright, like a hug in a gorgeous flacon.
8.0/10

Coutureguru
L'Original in pure perfume ...
Having bobbed and weaved around actually purchasing this fragrance for ages, I recently ordered a 7.5ml extrait for peanuts from an online discounter. The EDT version always struck me as being too weak for my perfume munching skin, although I really liked the smell, Rose fanatic that I am. The extrait is just perfect!

ombré |?äm?br?|
adjective
(of a fabric) having a dyed, printed, or woven design in which the color is graduated from light to dark.
ORIGIN French, past participle of ombrer ‘to shade.’ (Online Dictionary)

Ombre Rose L'Original comes across exactly as the name suggests, shaded Roses. What starts off as rosebuds eventually culminates in full blooms, powdery and velvety in their pillowy softness. The note pyramid here seems unnecessarily cluttered … I get mostly classic Rose, lots of powder in a natural way (unlike some of the chemical powder horrors I've had my nose on recently … I'm looking at you Teint de Neige) … some Orris and touches of a woody base a long way in. The feeling is almost as if a large bowl of different shades of pink Roses had been placed in a warm, but secluded area … subtle but radiating nonetheless!
The extrait version is smooth and rounded, none of the jagged edges I experience with the opening of the EDT. I cannot be sure of the percentage per volume as it is not listed on the packaging, but it lasts about 5 hours on my skin, projecting smoothly for two hours or so before becoming more intimate. I get beautiful little powdery wafts of Ombre Rose L'Original as many as 8 hours in, especially when I stick my nose down the front of my shirt.
If one doesn't respond to classic fragrances then I would give this a miss. Some people are going to label this fragrance dated, but I love the retro way it smells … it appeals to memories of my colonial upbringing. Ombre Rose L'Original is terribly romantic in a Merchant Ivory 'Room with a View' sort of way. It harks back to a time long before the 80's in which it was first produced.

I shouldn't be able to wear this but I do, garnering lots of compliments now, when 20 years ago eyebrows would have been raised. How things have changed!! Perhaps it has more to do with my own attitude regarding myself and less to do with the way I fear others perceive me.

If one wants to experience true romanticism, Ombre Rose L'Original in extrait formulation is definitely the way to go.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Retro Rose
Having worn Montale POWDER FLOWERS last night, I decided to reconnect this morning with Jean-Charles Brosseau OMBRE ROSE L'ORIGINAL, a fantastic creation by François Caron which proves that excellent perfume can still be had at a reasonable price. Reasonable? What am I saying? This juice is bargain-bin cheap--but only in dollars, not in its scent!

The opening of this composition always jars me a bit. The combination of slightly harsh aldehydes and fruit causes me to pause for a moment before recalling that this is only a short stage along the way to a retro-rose powdery perfume which is cozy and comfy and most appealing to me. There are absolutely overlaps between this and Montale POWDER FLOWERS, as I have observed before, and if anyone has been searching for an affordable alternative to that perfume, they need look no further.

This is a feminine and powdery perfume which does, I confess, smell literally like talcum powder in wafts, depending upon how the aldehydes are mingling with the mix. The longevity is excellent and the sillage pretty big, so wearing OMBRE ROSE L'ORIGINAL can sometimes seem like walking around inside a rose-scented powder puff. I have to be in the right mood to wear this creation, but when I am, it's a delight.

I love the bottles from this collection, and I came close to buying the large-economy size of this perfume at a discounter near the end of 2012. In fact, it is possible that I'd eventually wear that much of OMBRE ROSE L'ORIGINAL, since I am more than a third of the way through my 100ml, so perhaps I'll pick up the giant bottle next year. I would love to own it for the bottle alone, but I happen also very much to like the liquid inside.

This perfume exemplifies a point made recently by Bryan Ross at From Pyrgos: when a composition is originally created on a low budget, then it's more likely to survive in tact in the long run, since cost-cutting reformulation does not become necessary. Hurrah for OMBRE ROSE L'ORIGINAL!
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Roses in the Snow
Picturing pure white Snow falling on rich Velvet cloth
of Crimson, The Aldehyde Opening of Ombre Rose Conjuring
The Scent of Dry Winter Air Wet Rosewood adds a Tinge of
Cold Rose the drydown Consists of a note of snow covered
ceder steeps though the Air giving a Green Cypress
large Victorian Home on the outskirts of a Wintry
New England Town,

Musk Opens the dry down With a Subtlety not Overpowering or Cloyish
Cinnamon makes it's
presence known but doesn't Dominates like almost
all Cinnamon notes does,
7.5 10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Icekat
The queen of powdery roses
I wear this fragrance when I am in the mood for powdery roses. It does not happen often but once in a while I have an overwhelming desire to be transported back in time to an era of elegance and good taste where I can wear long fancy dresses and take a stroll in a garden with a lace parasol. This is not a modern rose but I find that my rose collection will not be complete without this charmingly old-fashioned powdery rose. It represents the lovely side of a rose that is utterly feminine, delicate, traditional and modest.

Ombre Rose has rather interesting opening. There is a lot going on and I love how rich it is. The scent is intensely floral. I can smell the roses and geranium mixed with light aldehydes and woody notes. The rose is a bit dusty and powdery right away. As the time progresses, the scent becomes more powdery but the powder is layered nicely on the woody notes. There is also slight sweetness from the honey. There are other flowers in the bouquet such as ylang-ylang but the rose is indeed the queen in this fragrance. There is a slight soapiness in the heart notes but I think it fits the fragrance really well. In the dry down, the scent is still powdery but the vanilla and honey notes become more noticeable. The gentle musk is also there but it is definitely not a musk bomb on my skin. The sillage and longevity are excellent.

The scent is very pretty, comforting and charming. This is a powdery rose at its best.

Nostalgic powdery vanilla rose
This fragrance was nostalgic when it was first presented. Yes, Brosseau launched this fragrance in 1981, but in the late seventies, there was a brief vogue for the 1940s, and it seems to me that Ombre Rose may have been inspired by that fashion trend.

Today, it is still about remembrance of things past. Ombre Rose is aldehydic at the opening, but swiftly moves to a rose and wood and vetiver heart, with just a touch of ylang to brighten it.

The drydown is a vanilla musk, with a gentle whisper of heliotrope.

Ombre Rose reminds me in every way of the color "dusty rose" that was also quite popular when Ombre Rose debuted. Like the color, it is powdery, and brings to mind a gentler time.

by Hexana
by Hexana
by Sedona
Mon parfum préféré – mein geliebter Signaturduft (botanisch 'Rosa Bernstein' im Zaunbeet)
Doppeltes Rosenglück :-)
mein allerliebster Duftschatz und mein allerfeinster Flakon im Winterkleid
by ElenaN
by ElenaN
by Sedona
...mein sanfter, mir in die Nase flüsternder Rosen-Puder-Creme-Duft *love, love, love
by Santalwalti
Singing in the rain (Rosa 'New Dawn')
by Callas