Coriandre 1973 Eau de Toilette

Coriandre (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Couturier
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Coriandre (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean Couturier for women and was released in 1973. The scent is green-chypre. It is being marketed by VAG & Distribution.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydesAldehydes AngelicaAngelica CorianderCoriander Orange blossomOrange blossom
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium IrisIris JasmineJasmine RoseRose Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang LilyLily
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood VetiverVetiver CivetCivet

Submitted by DeGe53, last update on 09.01.2022.

Green Ice
This review is based in a recent bottle of de Parfum de Toilette (green metal spray).

They say this perfume has been reformulated, that it is just a pale shadow of its former self... Honestly, I have never known the previous iteration of this fragance (and perhaps, I am very fortunate because of that: may be I wouldn not find the new one so enticing), but I find the current formulation fantastic. For me, it is like some sort of missing link between vintage YSL Rive Gauche and the current Sisley Eau du Soir. It is miles away from the ultra-sweet, simplistic and overly synthetic perfumes today in vogue. It smells classy, and yet not dated. It inmediately recalls some sort of expensive vintage herbal soap. It has the pressence and character that all the perfumes of good French maisons had thirtly years ago, and that today is just a memory.

Coriandre is cold, sparkly and demure, and yet brazen and direct. Floral, green, powdery and soapy. It opens with a huge blast of aldehydes, a tiny bit of coriandre, that, despite of the name, is not the main player, but a sort of constant chorus, and frosty angelica. Then comes the heart, a greenish and crisp rose surrounded by geranium and some iris, which is waxy like old lipsticks and Manley crayons. I love roses and iris when they are cold, wild and casual; I hate them when they seem to have come from Norma Desmond's dressing table. The roses and iris of Coriandre are somewhat in between. The background is a huge powdery cloud of white musks. I barely detect the patchouly and the civet.

The advertising, with a blonde, Grace Kelly-like lady sitting with one of the sleeves of her blouse torn is a very good summary of what this fragance is about. Coriandre, cool and yet warm, could have been the signature perfume of a Hitchcock's heroine, apparently unflappable and yet very passionate. It is ladylike and polite (but not stiff), but it is more that it shows. I can imagine this being worn by Scarlett O'Hara or Mina Harker in Coppola's Dracula, wrapped in green velvet cloth. It could be the signature fragance of Asís Taboada, the main character in Emilia Pardo Bazán's novella La insolación (The Sunstroke): a young, wealthy widow woman who longs for freedom and pleasures, but who is constricted by social conventions, although, in her conscience, feels she had done nothing wrong. A woman who only used iris perfumes, because all the others gave her headaches.

Sillage is moderate, lasting power is good.

Totally recommended for lovers of vintage fragances and green perfumes.
Amadea70
Coriander and coriander and coriandre
Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees. Coriander pods are one of my favorite spices. Freshly crushed and then in the potato fennel vegetables is really brilliant. And also just in the potato soup. Don't even know exactly how to describe the scent, but if it goes in one direction, it's so aniseed. According to my statement, Tabla wrote "Isn't there coriander seed in it?" Of course it's the little capsules in the scent, because they don't smell soapy either. Coriander also goes very well in bread, the scent is just lovely when you open the oven and the fragrance hits you.

For me, if fresh coriander is used in food, please chop it very finely and please just a touch. The parsley of Asian cuisines is namely not so my case, as soon as too much is in it, and it usually is, I have this impression of soap in the mouth. If too much is in it and coriander lingers in cold dishes for a while, it also creates a chlorinated taste/scent, which I find quite horrible. Really great I find him a mango vinaigrette, with pickled ginger, coconut milk and a few chili. That in the summer over mango slices and mozzarella - a revelation.

The perfume, on the other hand, is a dream. A chypre that gets that special kick from coriander. So the soapiness comes not from the coriander, but from the oakmoss. But it's subtle. Because if it were too strong, I wouldn't be so thrilled. I've often tried scents with oakmoss in the last few months and was always disappointed because they were too masculine or soapy for me. Coriandre is different and really a lovely floral dream spiced with coriander. Thanks Hallodri, for this donation and for getting me started!
Nice
During my exploration of the Chypre family, I came across Coriandre. Since I suspected from my previous experiences that this fragrance family suits my skin, I risked a blind purchase. Can't agree with the reviews that the scent is very strong. It's rather soft, I can only guess at the idea and it fades into very soft tones very quickly. Possibly it's due to the modern manufacturing method. Too bad, I would have liked to hear him in full volume, maybe I'll try my luck with EdP later.

Pinucha
I really love this fragrance!
Coriandre is a specific fragrance, so that or you love it, or you hate it! Fresh and spicy, not sweet at all (in my opinion could be an unisex fragrance). Strange that in the olfactory description is not mentioned leather in the base notes: I do smell leather. The heart notes remind me a little bit that of Jean louis Scherrer (only the heart notes)

MasterLi
Review for the vintage EdT...
What a surprise! This is the type of fragrance that I find so refreshing given today's market trends and current tastes!

Coriandre is a great example of a rich, heady chypre with just the right amount of dirtiness in a perfume. It is a very green and mossy fragrance (like all true "chypre" perfumes should be). It reminds me a lot of many other fragrances from it's era (Jacomo - Silences, Chanel - Cristalle), and even a little of Eau de Patou but what makes this one special for me is the inclusion of a honey-like sweet civet note. This is what gives it the "dirtiness" I mentioned, which can also be a very sensual and seductive note.

I agree that to many young people today, they would find Coriandre very different from modern tastes. But for uniqueness, I think this perfume is perfect in that respect. I find it a beautiful one because it reminds me of the gorgeous perfumes of the past, which were made at a very high level, even as designers. If this was released today it would be considered a "niche" scent. Thankfully, you can still buy this for a very cheap and reasonable price, and it's quality is much greater than that.

I would recommend to try if you like very mossy, "classic" chypre fragrances, and even stuff like Shalimar there is something about it which is unique and very interesting. Give it a try!

WildGardenerWildGardener 8 months ago
A green chypre with powder and plasticky flowers.
Nothing wrong with that, but a bit too sour and lipsticky for my taste.
KuraiKurai 10 months ago
A refreshing opening. Green herbacious. Cilantro with aldehydes. Soon fades in a very basic, rather indistinct green floral. Weak.
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
Light acacia honey, dove white soap, and a bit grassy-green. It's really 'basic' but I love it. The current version has almost no musk.

by Zora
Eau de Parfum
Coriandre de Jean Couturier  www.perfumeriajulia.es
by skanvidou

Popular by Jean Couturier

12 (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Couturier Vanilla Exotica by Jean Couturier Monsieur Couturier (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Couturier Coriandre (Parfum) by Jean Couturier Eau de Coriandre by Jean Couturier Kéora (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Couturier Marjolaine by Jean Couturier Un Jardin à Paris by Jean Couturier Coriandre (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Couturier Lilas Mauve by Jean Couturier Kéora (Parfum) by Jean Couturier Kéora (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Couturier Eau Fraîche by Jean Couturier Ginger by Jean Couturier Patchouli by Jean Couturier 12 (After Shave) by Jean Couturier Monsieur Couturier (Lotion Après-Rasage) by Jean Couturier Paris Baroque by Jean Couturier