Jean-Louis Scherrer 1979 Eau de Toilette

Jean-Louis Scherrer (Eau de Toilette) by Jean-Louis Scherrer
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Jean-Louis Scherrer (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean-Louis Scherrer for women and was released in 1979. The scent is chypre-green. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Designer Parfums. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesSicilian tangerineSicilian tangerine
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
Bourbon vetiverBourbon vetiver
Mysore sandalwoodMysore sandalwood
OakmossOakmoss

Submitted by DeGe53, last update on 23.10.2021.

Spring Greens
If you know your green chypres, you may find JLS reminds you of other things, Y – the mother of them all, or GIII for example.
Being based around galbanum-hyacinth and rose-jasmin-iris they tend to be similar. But this one has a mushroomy nuance of gardenia backed with an earthy chypre base. There’s also a nice plasticky rose that rises from the pale green body to give a certain character of it’s own.
Even if JLS is interchangable with others, it’s still very pleasant; and whatever, any green chypre is a joy.
Shame.....
I had the fragrance once in the early 80s and probably gave it away then. Now I remember why. A dear perfumer sent me a sample and since 2 hours the fragrance is on my arm. I find the top note to be herbaceous, pungent, almost medicinal or a bit like nail polish remover and it stays and stays and stays...... For me, it's like this: I have to like a scent right away and I don't want to wait hours for it to unfold differently. I almost ordered it in a bottle, luckily there is a bottling option here, thanks for that. But unfortunately he falls through with me.

Bitter green chypre
Yes, bitter is how I would describe it. And I love that. It’s the galbanum and moss combination that leaves this rather cold and bitter impression. Close to being harsh. Then there are -literally- sparkles of aldehydes and iris. A very successful combination. Unapproachable yet sparkling with elegance.

Instead of a dramatic trilogy, Scherrer’s story appears a bit one-dimensional. A single chypre accord, so to speak. Until after a a few hours, all of a sudden a feline sticks its head out the grass. Ahh the civet. Gotcha!

Both the EDT and the EDP are lovely. I was told the EDP is closer to the original, I am yet to find that out for myself. It is more round, mellow and has more depth vs the EDT, that’s for sure. The EDT lacks the woody and floral nuances, but it is more bitter on the top and a bit more sparkling overall.

To me Scherrer may not even be the best scent of the genre but it sure does suit me perfectly. I don’t know if it just interacts well with my skin, but it feels closer to being ‘me’ than any other perfume. An extension of myself, rather than an artificial layer of scent. As a result, this perfume works wonders for me in every situation, every condition.
Mirror
She drives me crazy with her heart on her tongue. Sometimes way too harsh and direct. Her rough edges I would like to grind when she is bumping up against, but that would be like clipping wings, her liveliness is what makes her stand out.
Sometimes I don't know if I want to strangle her or make love to her when she's cool and aloof, even though it's bubbling under the surface. She doesn't like to show herself vulnerable, seems unbending and clear. Only here in my arms does she let go. Gives me her gaze from deep eyes, compassionate and warm. She gives everything of herself, and I know, for me she will become more and more beautiful.

Those who take the time to read 'Jean-Louis Scherrer' will be richly rewarded.
A wonderfully deep, noble chypre even for chypre skeptics.
The ingredients are noble and balanced, fine to the point.
The fragrance does not bend, it starts green-citrus, even slightly annoying. Long lasts this impression, however, flowers come into play, not in an intrusive way. Casual sprinkles of iris like sunbeams on mountain-mossy oakmoss. Cool and adult seems that, strong and clear.
The true magic unfolds this fragrance, however, only after hours. Then the brittle beauty surrenders and becomes gentle, sensual, profound and warm. A perfect composition of sandal, patchouli and vetiver seems to accomplish this.
So perfect, so beautiful, even after many hours.

Without meaningfully ranting around I can say, the fragrance suits me very much.
I will wear it with great pleasure!
And that he is a 'Chypre, we just take it so ;)
Pollita
Miss Rottenmeier? I don't know her!
When I think of chypre fragrances, I still think of my mother. I'm ten or eleven years old and it became clear so early on how different our tastes are. I don't like her clothes, her bags or her perfumes. Only her shoes in the tiny size 36 with the high heels I find exciting, because at that age they fitted me, even if only for a short time and I could stumble around the flat in them. It did look like Sandra Bullock in Miss Congeniality, but hey, I was a kid!

Please don't misunderstand. I love my mother very much and of course appreciate her taste, even though there are various situations to this day where I roll my eyes first. When we had moved into the house here about eight years ago, in which my parents had previously lived, the piggy-pink wallpaper in the stairwell had to be painted over first. Help! Eye cancer!
Exactly this feeling give me Chypredüfte mostly still today. I see an extremely dressed up person in front of me, flashy and colorful dressed with accessories, about which it is arguable whether you actually need them. I also see a hairstyle that only holds together with a ton of hairspray. And I smell aldehydes, soap galbanum. Then a voice inside me keeps yelling "that's not you" and then that's usually it for the scent test. The end. Quitting time.

But there are also Chypreduffte (I've learned in the meantime), which are so delicate, so beautiful, so fragile even, that they break this image tattooed in my brain and the little Polly just perceives the fragrance as such and thinks "how beautiful is that!" That's what happened with Guerlain's Liu and even more clearly with this fine fragrance by Scherrer from 1979, when I was just two years old. The madness!

This Scherrer shows me namely that Galbanum can also very, very different. In this fragrance, the often fun note is a delicate, almost elf-like creature that takes me by the hand. A bit of citrus plays in at the beginning and then come very fine florals. My jasmine is there and a tiny bit of rose. The whole is unspeakably elegant, tough of course, but never harsh. Miss Rottenmeier? Who is she? I don't know her. The base, dominated by oakmoss and vetiver, which I also love, is soft and fluffy. How can that be? No musk, no vanilla, and yet I just find this to be delicate, well-groomed, and so beautiful.

Scherrer smells like a woman who is simply beautiful. She is beautiful and she knows what she wants. She doesn't need flashy clothes. It also goes quite simple.

Of course, I'm not at all sure I could and would want to wear a fragrance like that. It would probably need the right occasion, which would let me grab once not to the usual, but to something completely new. Nevertheless, I am enchanted by a really beautiful fragrance. Yes, so slowly I think, Polly and Chypre, that could go after all.

Thank you, dear Gandix. Since you had absolutely the right nose.
Steel magnolia
Pale green, without a trace of brown, Margaret Mitchell writes, Scarlett O'Hara's eyes were. These eyes that drove men mad in rows and symbolized Scarlett's character: spirited and fun-loving, but also calculating to cold when it was to her advantage; independent, strong and tough. Superficially a lovely pretty Southern magnolia - but made of the famous steel.

Outrageously unseemly for her time, Scarlett can probably be called downright emancipated, although that word probably didn't exist like that back then (call in the linguists, please!). The only man who can match her strength and energy, and who admires (and, well, loves) her for that very reason, is Rhett Butler (unfortunately, she spurns him until it's too late for a happy ending, as we all know)

*********
!*

When I sniff Scherrer, I see Scarlett's iridescence in her cat-like eyes. The green that sets the tone in this scent is a clear, crystalline, siren-like green. A green that splits into hundreds of radiant facets depending on the angle of view or sniff. Minerals, stone, but especially the sharp edges of a polished emerald and something luminous, is processed by my olfactory here to a visual impression.

The citrus note that Scherrer opens with is, for me, one of the nicest I've ever smelled. It is not too tart or acidic, but forms the first finely chiseled framework of the main green character. This clarity is extremely elegant and noble, and without the madam, austere undertone I dread, which very often makes chypres difficult and off-putting to me. Scherrer also retains a floating lightness of foot, one might even say a sanguine character.

This then also amazingly in the further course, in which the oak moss carefully lays itself like an ultra-light, fluffy wool blanket under the fragrance. Velvetier it becomes, without losing anything of its clarity. Warmer, almost furry, without the fragrance seeming overheated, stuffy or even sweet. Cozy, cosy or "hygge" is nothing here.

I soon also sniff a certain humanoid dirt/sweat note, not as brute as Piguet's Bandit, but still going in that direction. This gives Scherrer a slightly impertinent twist into the erogenous and rounds off the overall complexity of the fragrance expertly.

Whether Scarlett would have worn this fragrance had it been available back then - who knows. If I let my imagination run wild, I imagine Scarlett excellent as a "testimonial" for Scherrer: her coolness, behind which the fire burns, her gracefulness and elegance, her strength, her independence, her passion and also her certain naughtiness form for me in this fragrance.

That he always retains but a small Koboldhaftigkeit and light-footedness, makes him for me personally a timeless masterpiece of perfume history and not only wearable for myself (as a Chyprefeigling), but also my personal (late) fragrance discovery of the past year 2020.
Etienne Aigner No.2 - perfection
As the headline can already explain, I find that this good (old) Scherrer (ladies) fragrance, for me is close to No.2 of Aigner....but at a higher level! No.2 was in the 80s my signature....and also my very first(!) fragrance, which I loved + constantly wore...
Scherrer so, I feel as not so annoying in the long run...what today's No.2-batches have unfortunately...this nerve-factor....which was not so existent back then.... Too fresh...too tart...too trallllalla..
Would like to recommend this fragrance to every man!!!! It is ZERO feminine....and....by the way....what do "labels" say??? Horny is -. what pleases !!!!
Love me some Scherrer !!!! Only recommended!!!!
Oh dear Oh dear
Phew what can I say? Maybe I have to say in advance that I am still very much practicing in sniffing different scents, although I have enjoyed smelling different scents ever since I can remember. After a lot of research into what scents might appeal to me, I had very high expectations of Jean-Louis Scherrer Eau de Toilette, especially because the description of the fragrance is chypre-like green. Also the different scents seemed very attractive to me. I had never smelled Sicilian tangerine, Calabrian bergamot or Florentine iris before. But maybe I have to realize now that "chypre and green" is not for me after all? I find the scent very - or even too - penetrating and extremely tart. Not that I was looking for a very flowery scent, but Jean-Louis Scherrer is simply out of my league

Green velvet
Just like I said Scherrer 2 has survived in excellent form, I have to say Scherrer also has, just not that good.

Credit is due where credit is due, but simply the color of a 1981 bottle, golden honey compared to emerald green today, tells something. And the nose test is the ultimate one. Whereas Scherrer today is a beautiful green 'chypre' (I say 'chypre' because what can be called a true chypre today? With all the limitations and although some brands try to do their best with what's available and permitted, a true chypre can't be made today like it used to 2 decades ago) the vintage one is a gorgeous leather chypre, in the vein of Bandit and Futur, and to some extent Cabochard/Azuree/Aramis.

The above three are decidedly more butch, rougher, but Bandit in its vintage form had some glorious florals hidden beneath the surface; way way hidden, and Scherrer vintage boasts a huge galbanum, leather and civet note, with hidden florals just like Bandit.
And that is what I mostly get; galbanum all the way in it's beautiful green bitterness, worn leather of a well made bag, an ambiguous floral heart to soften the edges, and a wallop of civet in the base that runs from the beginning to make Scherrer, ultimately, the Bandit of the 80's; powerful, a slap in the face big personality that feels so different from the orientals and florals of the day but so refreshing and revitalizing for the woman or man that wanted to take the big city by the balls.
Always walking the line of ambiguity, it is masculine and feminine and everything in between. Perfect for anyone that loves a tough leather chypre with no sweetness at all and no excess frills, just good ol' oakmoss, galbanum, animalic leather and some flowers in the heart. Today, Scherrer is more of a green floral, that still feels dry, sparkling, but the galbanum feels absent, as well as the leather, and the animalic notes feel sharper. Huge sillage and longevity on both versions, with the original one feeling just a tad 'bigger' and warmer. Definitely give it a try, because Designer Parfums are really working magic with the brands they own, Patou included. If you love Futur especially, with the galbanum/oakmoss duo singing together, Scherrer is a sure bet!

Fierce, Outstanding, Collosal Chypre
I quoted from my friends Smellsgood, Gold and jtd because they are right and no other words could better describe this scent.
The way I would like to approach this perfume is related to couture, how it would suit our attires and the great thing is that I could imagine it worn with light, pastel coloured , flowing tunics or blouses to difuse the sense of spring in the air. At the same time I can see it embellishing a well tailored tweed suit and an assorted scarf or adding a green touch to a mink fur. It would be perfect for all these as long as you do not forget the gloves, because this perfume is so elegant.
So, do not forget the gloves!

Alex1984Alex1984 3 years ago
One of the most beautiful green chypres! Civet and costus add a beautiful warmth. Studio54 appropriate, shines like a disco ball!

by IrisNobile
by Callas
by Marta
by Marta
by Florblanca
Der grüne Waldgeist hat das Scherrer mitgebracht :-)))
by Ute
by Arlufkin
by Eloise
by Eloise

Popular Jean-Louis Scherrer

Jean-Louis Scherrer (Eau de Parfum) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Scherrer 2 (Eau de Toilette) by Jean-Louis Scherrer One Love by Jean-Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes (1993) (Eau de Parfum) / Indian Nights by Jean-Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes (2013) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Jean-Louis Scherrer (Parfum) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Nuits de Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer S de Scherrer Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Immense pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Pop Delights 01 by Jean-Louis Scherrer Scherrer 2 (Eau de Parfum) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Immense pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Pop Delights 03 by Jean-Louis Scherrer S de Scherrer Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Jean-Louis Scherrer S de Scherrer Homme by Jean-Louis Scherrer Immense pour Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Pop Delights 02 by Jean-Louis Scherrer Miss Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer Nuits Indiennes / Indian Nights (Parfum) by Jean-Louis Scherrer Scherrer 2 Limited Edition by Jean-Louis Scherrer