Joy Eau de Parfum

Joy (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Patou
Bottle Design Louis Süe, Lutz Herrmann
Joy (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Jean Patou for women. The release year is unknown. The scent is floral-animal. It was last marketed by Designer Parfums.

Henri Alméras

Submitted by Sniffer, last update on 08.09.2020.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume Joy (Parfum) by Jean Patou, which differs in concentration.

Melisse2
Adé Joy, make way for a new edition
Yesterday, the Fleuri blog prompted me to do a parallel test of the current EdP with a vintage EdT, of which a lovely perfume fortunately sent me a sample. Thanks a lot for this.

I'd like to say something else, but: Joy is rightfully employed. Anyway, the shadow left by this fragrance with a great past.

This old eau de toilette will delight you with a bouquet of flowers, in which the duo of rose and jasmine is particularly dominant. Lily-of-the-valley remains discreetly in the background, the other flowers of the pyramid I can't even perceive individually. This wonderful floral scent is accompanied by soft citrus notes and soft aldehydes. Very gently a breath of civet blows over, which does not let any urinary associations arise for me. I read "dirty soap" somewhere around here. I think that's it. Zibet, in much smaller doses than in Jicky, brings a little wickedness to this wonderfully gentle soap. I find Poliboy furniture polish a bit trite. But I can't express better how the flower melange blends into a breathtakingly beautiful, slightly waxy fragrance with a distinct vintage character. What do I consume now after a few more drops of this EdT, not to mention higher concentrations.

The current eau de parfum on the other wrist shows only superficial similarities: It's also a soapy floral scent.
But I smell mostly lilies of the valley. Lily of the valley even more than jasmine. In my opinion, an attempt has been made here to compensate for the impression of civilization with lilies of the valley. Synthetic civet might have been better, but I have no idea.
And yes, the rose is gone. So is the softness. Instead, more of a harsh curd soap impression without polish and without minimal residual sweetness. No refinement
Now my disappointment may also be due to the fact that I have problems with lilies of the valley anyway. Friends of lily of the valley may also enjoy the new fragrance, which is now being discontinued, with its lovely facets. In any case, I will not bunkering any fragrances in the current version.

Instead, I hope that Dior will one day have a "Joy. Eau de Toilette Originale" Well, Miss Dior has one. It would be good if they didn't try our patience until 2035

Greta Garbo's joy
I think JOY is an experience. A risky one for some people, a winning moment for others. Every day, the one who wear this is indeed a spectacular apparition. Dramatic, sarcastic, provocative, lovable, and after all... unexpected and not with an "every time" happy end... Like a true story! Definitely, not for everyone. If JOY was an actress in other life, it was for sure Greta Garbo. A "mask" of joy that can hide a drama, a tear or a moment of waiting long as an eternity.
Glamorous green flowers in the best company, 30s style
The door opens and there is immediately an incredibly large bouquet of flowers for the hostess, the face of the one who brings it disappears completely behind it, I don't recognize at first whether it is the old aunt of the family or the young princess of Monacco. Now the lilies of the valley are ringing and more flowers are asking to enter the green salon. Are there any green flowers? The aldehydes make the bouquet even more voluminous and very lively. Pearly drinks are served. Wet glittering crystal glasses, a touch of fruit sweetness from the garden, not from the fruit plate. The first quarter of an hour passes.

After this greenflower entree - Hello, how nice to see you (sparkling laughter)! - a hint of flowery exoticism. The recently arrived fresh young Madame from the last century is increasingly becoming a grandiose appearance. Another lady enters the room in a highly elegant costume (Patou, no doubt), hairstyle and even better posture. She greets friendly and also a little royally. Hairdo, hairspray, body-powder, of course pale and elegant, only a few swabs of peach freshness she has conjured up in her face.
This makes her even more beautiful, but not younger, but rather more awe-inspiring, because it reminds of such serious big old figures as the lady Mitsouko.

The impression deepens and I take a seat to watch the general entertainment. A rose washed with noble soap and a somewhat loud jasmine are added. The conversation is lively and lively, only I sit quietly next to it and consider whether I will probably get a headache and if I better apologize. I decide to stay and enjoy the company. You don't have to keep up everywhere.

My eyes and my nose wander to the large crystal vase, which the sea of flowers can hardly grasp. The bouquet is so opulent, it blurs before my eyes. There are no single flowers here, it tends to be abstract.

Back to the flower conversation: Is there a hint of musk to be felt here or do I smell there a strongly dosed washing powder, which blows over from a noble gesticulating white glove or from a rushing dress or nevertheless from the strengthened shirt of the company?
After about two hours and three glasses of champagne I find: All this cultivated elegance becomes a bit monotonous in the long run. I sit in front on the edge of a precious flowered ottoman and start to dangle my legs inappropriately.
But something distracts me and arouses my interest: A small, somewhat shaggy musk ox comes out of the green and looks through the window. Or is he standing behind glass in a showcase?
The champagne begins to work.
It gets a little stuffy in the crowded saloon.
I have to lie down.
A cat has slipped through the door and rolls up on my arm. Her fur shines golden when I stroke her.

I still smell soap now, but soap that is no longer just clean, the people around it are a little heated, the conversations go on. It's a little bit less glamorous, the atmosphere gets warmer, it gets louder later, the jazz music louder.

All this couldn't be further away from AugustA; a society I once enjoyed but didn't want to miss. Forgotten, never even experienced times.

I'll take my coat and go. A hunch of the scent goes with me.

Germanblonde
The most ladylike perfume I've ever experienced
This review is for the pure perfume in the black bottle! When I was in my early 20's I was a huge fan of the French actor Pierre Brice. I read everything about him I could get my hands on, and in an interview he stated that he loved the smell of Joy by Jean Patou on the women he dated.

Joy was his favorite perfume, and the one he gifted to the various beautiful women he dated in his life. I just wanted to smell like a woman he would adore. So I went to a posh perfume store in Hamburg and bought a tiny bottle of the real perfume for a whopping 300 German Marks. A lot of money, especially way back then.

Well I took it out on a date with my boyfriend (who later became my husband). He made no comment. But when he went into the bathroom, a gentleman who was in the same cocktail bar for a business seminar with a bunch of other men, came over to me, fell on his knees, took my hand and sighed :"Your perfume is just intoxicating!" Well, that was a real validation for me. My future husband came out of the bathroom, and needless to say it was the first jealousy related encounter we had in our relationship. Later on in our relationship my boyfriend/husband always brought me Joy from his business trips, because of this incident it was the only perfume I liked that he could remember.

Now I just own the eau de perfume version, and it just isn't the same. It is way harsher than the darling in the black bottle. I noticed this perfume is now way more affordable through Ebay than what I paid for it almost 30 years ago. So I might splurge and get me a bottle again - even if it is just for old times' sake. This perfume draws the attention of classy, sophisticated men (Shoot, no wonder that my deceased husband didn't react to it way back when we just started dating - no pun intended!). But seriously, this is the most ladylike perfume I ever experienced, and classy men will notice it and you right away.

by Irini
by Irini
by Somebody
by Somebody

Popular Jean Patou

Sublime (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Patou Patou pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Patou 1000 (Parfum) by Jean Patou 1000 (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Patou Collection Héritage - Vacances (2015) by Jean Patou 1000 (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Patou Joy (Parfum) by Jean Patou Eau de Patou by Jean Patou Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou Joy (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Patou Collection Héritage - Chaldée (2013) by Jean Patou Collection Héritage - L'Heure Attendue (2015) by Jean Patou Moment Suprême by Jean Patou Collection Héritage - Patou pour Homme (2013) by Jean Patou Collection Héritage - Deux Amours by Jean Patou Joy Forever (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Patou Enjoy by Jean Patou Eau de Joy by Jean Patou Ma Liberté by Jean Patou Colony by Jean Patou