Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Centdegrés

Gaultier² is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Amber, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.12.2019.

MisskMissk 8 years ago

„Sensual vanilla and amber”

Gaultier 2 is delicious, but not so much in a gourmand sense, rather I liken the scent to something quite boozy, like vanilla flavoured rum. It smells...
EurochicEurochic 7 years ago

„What went wrong?”

I soooo wanted to like this. After reading several reviews and based on the notes, this looked like a total winner to me. Vanilla, amber, musk, what could go wrong?...

Smells like Christmas to me
Gaultier ² I discovered at that time rather coincidentally in the world-famous store which somehow always smells the same. At that time, I went into business for no particular reason and looked for special or new fragrances. Since I have this fragrance due to a small 20ml bottle on. Since I already own a few more fragrances and most perfumes are always offered in 50ml as the smallest size, I was very happy that there was a small "sample" to buy. Today I have to say that I almost regret having bought the smallest size back then.
I think this perfume is totally great and I associate it with Christmas and Christmas markets. A beautiful winter scent. But now I must also confess that it was already about 4-5 years ago that this fragrance entered my life, whether I still like it today?
Furthermore, I can't say anything more about the scents, but to be honest, I rarely smell out what's in the perfume.
This week I remembered this scent again and since December is just around the corner, I thought I'd have a look on the internet. But the price is extremely high... at that time I paid about 20 Euro but now it is 120 Euro. I don't know why, maybe it won't be made anymore, I don't know but the memory will stay.
That concludes my first comment at Parfumo =)

6.0 8.0 7.0 9.5/10

Red Sun
Gaultier2 was one of my first fragrances 10 years ago, when my collection consisted of only three fragrances. Le Male, Joop Homme and Gaultier2.

I was 17 at the time and I wasn't that well-versed in the world of perfume. However, I still remember exactly how Gaultier2 became my favourite fragrance at that time.

It was autumn and I strolled through a Müller boutique. Even then I liked to take an afternoon off and try out new fragrances.

Dot by the magnetic flacon, I sprayed it on myself. Then I was overcome by this warm feeling. I have to say that for me this perfume is more of a feeling captured in a bottle. By that I mean that I feel the smell more than I smell.

I would like to describe this feeling to you now:

It's autumn. After a long school day with afternoon classes, we walk leisurely to the bus station. It has become a bit colder and you notice for the first time that the summer is really over. The autumn leaves sweep across the street, it's pretty quiet since most people are still working. I adjust my scarf to keep me comfortably warm. I can already see my bus. We're finally going home. Thank God it's the new coach, not the old tin box. After all, I have an hour's drive ahead of me. A time that I like to use to relax and to review the day. I sit down at the window; the seat is comfortable and the bus cushions any unevenness on the road. Besides, you hardly hear any driving noises. It's a new coach. It's 4:00 and the sun is already low. I tilt my back a little backwards, tilt my head to the side and look at the beautiful autumn landscape. On the horizon the autumn sun is enthroned above everything. It is large, fiery red to orange and its edges literally waft. It immerses everything in a warm orange light that still provides minimal warmth. Yeah, that was a good school day today. I lean back and fall asleep warmed by the pleasant heating in the bus, while a shadow theatre takes place on my eyelids, played by the trees and houses in the orange cone of sunlight.

That's how this perfume feels to me and I still can't understand why Gaultier stopped producing it.

To my delight I found a dupe that smells exactly like the original. I received this today, so I'm writing this comment as well. The skin scent appears slightly spicier. From a distance of 20cm it concerns however Gaultier2. After half an hour the skin scent is also identical. The durability is also identical in my opinion. Not weaker and not stronger than the original.

It is perfume no. 481 by L'Arisé, if anyone is interested. I'm not advertising here, I'm just saying the smell's still there.

In any case, it's a pity that the original no longer exists. A great perfume for man and woman
10.0/10

my favourite jumper
First I would like to thank all the enablers on here for piquing my curiosity about Gaultier 2 and finally getting around to blind buying this with confidence after the reviews. The fact that Kurkdjian was behind this was also a selling point for me, I have yet to dislike anything he creates. This is truly a beauty and true to its note pyramid. The vanilla does not turn this into a gourmand, it merely adds a touch of sweetness to it. This is a warm, cozy, balmy, musky oriental-basically everything good. It reminds me of Les Nez's L'Antimatiere and considering it is a lot less expensive despite being discontinued, it knocked the Les Nez off my want list. Both are sweet balmy musks with a whiff of animal. Cozy as a downy blanket, channeling innocence like a babe, yet walking on the wild side after hours. Remember Alicia Silverstone in Aerosmith's Crazy video? That girl, this scent. Longevity is amazing, it stayed on my cardigan for three days, although I had to give it a close sniff by then. On me sillage is rather close as compared to what the other reviewers got. This is a beautiful resinous musk beauty. Do try it!
7.5 7.5 10.0 10.0/10

Boozy Vanilla
This is definitely an interesting one. I get sweet, boozy vanilla, and a hint of orange blossom (I hear that orange blossom happens to be a signature of the perfumer Francis Kurkdjian). There is also a hint of something fruity there, like a blackcurrant/grape note (some people mentioned "bubblegum").

What this strikes me as is a burnt caramel/rum-drenched vanilla vibe but I also get the amber in the background. I would say it's predominantly vanilla, but not in a creamy way, this is more of a dark, almost burnt, vanilla-rum kind of smell, a lot like the vanilla you find in Guerlain fragrances (i.e. Shalimar).

Overall I think it's sweet and a little gourmand but not overtly so. To me it's quite sensual and blends well with warm skin, giving off a very warm and inviting vibe. Would smell great on men or women, I find it quite playful and flirtatious. Very alluring, and although some may find it sweet, I find it actually balances perfectly, it's on the "darker" side of gourmand-sweet really (cognac & crème brûlée). Definateley a cozy, sexy scent for colder nights with loved ones by the fire. Very warm and very nice.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Unisex².
This one really grew on me. I did not like it at first, found it a bit cheap or ordinary/trashy smelling. But I kept sampling it, again and again. I felt some similarities to Amouage Reflection Man, but only at a certain point. Reflection was softer, this felt heavier. But I grew into liking it. Perhaps because I did not like vanilla at first, but I'm starting to appreciate it more because it is not overly sweet and brings warmth. The amber adds a bit to the sweetness and the musk adds a certain softness.

This is a unisex scent, and I feel it will act differently on each sex' skin. I think this is more masculine than feminine. However, I do see (strong) women wearing this.
7.5 5.0 5.0 3.0/10

Sweet bubble gum
Gaultier 2 has a nice opening, but then turns to a musky bubble gum smell, which it's actually good, but not my cup of tea.

I guess its more suitable for woman.

Updated January 2014

What went wrong?
I soooo wanted to like this.
After reading several reviews and based on the notes, this looked like a total winner to me. Vanilla, amber, musk, what could go wrong? Right?
Well, a lot actually. There must be many more notes in this composition that aren't mentioned and one or more of these just don't work for me.
Right after spraying, I gagged. The first note is awful. It smells like bread dough. Not lovely warm baked bread, but bread dough with yeast that is rising under a wet cloth. Those who have baked bread will know what I mean, my mom used to bake bread for many years, and I remember that yeast smell. It's not a pleasant one.
Thankfully that gagging smell in this perfume lasts for just a moment. After that, the whole experience is pretty linear. I can detect something sweet, not exactly vanilla, not amber, I don't know what, probably just plain white sugar. I didn't get any powder from the musk either. IMO, i.e., to my nose, it smells more like jam, very sweet fruity jam.
I tried to like it, I tried to force myself to like it, but after 2 times I had to give up. I detect something synthetic, cloying, annoying, sweet but not pleasantly sweet. I'm so sad this didn't work for me.
For a good amber fix, I'll stick to Ambre Sultan (SL) or Ambre Extreme (AP).
10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Simple yet satisfying, not at all subtle. Above all: sweet!
Fellow fragrance traveler Awesomeness sent me an adorable mini of Jean-Paul Gaultier Gaultier² a while back, and unfortunately I did not notice that the top became loose in transit. While ferreting through my sample queue this morning, I discovered that most of the liquid had evaporated! All that was left was a small amount of extrait of extrait: thick, dark brown, and a bit scary looking. Undaunted, I added water and shook it up, then used a sprayer to apply the resultant solution as I would any eau de parfum. I have to say that I'm glad that I did!

Gaultier² is a simple yet appealing fragrance with a thick somewhat in-your-face sweetness and labdanum amber combined with some kind of woody components(s). To my nose, this is more feminine than masculine. Although it is strong and quite far from being subtle, it smells very good and would make a great wintertime fragrance, as it fits well into the comfort scent category occupied by the likes of Chôpard Casmir, among many other creations which I do not wear that often but enjoy when I do. Perhaps I should not be surprised, given the perfumer, Francis Kurkdjian, but I have had limited experience with this house, and it was negative, so I did not have the best of expectations in donning this fragrance today.

I am not sure that I need a bottle of this particular creation (although I'm sure that I'd wear it now and then, if I had some), but now my perspective on Gaultier has been changed, and I'll have to try some more of the perfumes of this house.

Thank you Awesomeness!
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Sensual vanilla and amber

It smells dangerous and sexy, as well as being quite warm and comforting. Vanilla and amber dominate this fragrance, however I sense subtle hints of tobacco and powder as well.

It's a fragrance for both men and women. I feel so empowered wearing Gaultier 2. It unleashes a lot of sensuality and confidence which is often hidden within me. I think on a man, this scent would be uber-sexy. I must add that the lasting power on my skin is very impressive, withstanding some showers even.

Because of its richness and potency, I can't guarantee that everybody will love it, let alone find it inoffensive. It falls under an oriental category, and I'll agree that at times, it can be a little heavy. I have grown to love Gaultier 2, and I'm quite satisfied with my little mini of it, however it's probably not something I would want to own by the gallons.
2.0/10

Not truly unisex
You know, there are times when a unisex fragrance is truly unisex. Unfortunately, this is not one of them. There's a whole heck of a lotta woods or patch in Gaultier^2, the kind of woods and patch that wears like an aftershave or splash cologne on me. Women who have difficulty crossing over to the other side should steer clear of Gaultier^2, which is all male on me.
10.0 9.0/10

Thatsmr2usir
Sweet, cloying, sweet Did I mention Sweet?
I really like this fragrance, as it is simple based upon the 3 notes listed, I would also say it is complex as it gives off 2 different illusions for me. 1 is a grape note that appears throughout the fragrance. The smell reminds me of the bubble gum called Bubblelicious! ( GRAPE ) flavored.. It smells really nice as I love the smell of grape.
I also get a nice boozy whisky accord that is mixed with the vanilla to create a cappuccino smell. It has GREAT longevity & it leaves a nice trail to follow. Last all day. & is sure to get you noticed regardless of people may like it or not. A nice gourmand that is perfect for clubs, bars or weekend activity.

Itchynose 9 months ago
Vanilla with a Joop-like syrupy vibe. Opens very medicinal and becomes smoother and more pleasant on the dry down.

Gaultier² on the moon
by Sunnyiland
by Sunnyiland
by Nisie
by Nisie
Vintage: Jean Paul Gaultier - Gaultier2 125ml EDP (2007)
by MrNiceGuy
by Echtdufte
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Kokorico (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Jean Paul Gaultier Ma Dame (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique X (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier