Classique 1993Eau de Toilette

Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Jean Paul Gaultier
Classique (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for women and was released in 1993. The scent is sweet-floral. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesPear, Mandarin orange, Orange blossom, Rose, Star anise
Heart Notes Heart NotesGinger, Iris, Orchid, Plum, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.10.2020.

Sonnenwind
"Please turn once in a circle!"
There is hardly anyone who hasn't had Classique under their nose, I would say Some people may hate it, or regard it as mainstream, some may find the bottles too sexist or even kitschy.

For the first time I smelled Classique in my youth - my best friend at that time was bathing in it.
So I can understand why a fragrance is displeasing at any given time when a wearer has no hand for the dosage or feels that everyone is wearing the same perfume.

It was not until decades later that I dared to do my own test and was immediately thrilled.
Full of eagerness I bought four bunker flacons - a mix of vintage flacons and the current version and used them diligently.
However, I would like to explain why these four vials left me again.
After longer use, disturbing factors crystallized in both the vintage and the new version, which disliked the pleasure of the fragrance.
The vintage versions, as always, only highlighted the base of the fragrance, which leads me to suspect that the top notes have faded over the years. This made Classique seem incomplete, although the base was still a dream.
The new version of the reformulation has a plastic note in its heart, which for me absolutely does not fit in and which I do not like to smell So, as mentioned above, I let all the bottles move on and deleted Classique for me and forgot it.

In the meantime I have of course tested some fragrances. So far so good.

Now the perfume recently came back to my nose and what can I say:
Not only am I in love again, no, I LOVE IT!
In retrospect, I noticed that many of the fragrances I bought had some of the fragrances that Classique had in them.
Just the orange blossom, ylang ylang, amber, vanilla, plum, musk or iris. Now I consider some of my purchases to be completely insane, because Classique combines all the wonderful fragrances I love so much into a composition that is perfect for me Orange blossom has sunny, mood-lifting potential, ylang ylang gives me my beloved sun cream vibe, iris smoothes and unites, vanilla, musk and amber convey sensuality and a certain cosiness.
Classique has an extraordinary aphrodisiac aroma, as someone has already mentioned here, which no other fragrance has been able to convey to me.
His aura is just heavenly!
Now I will slowly get back to Classique and have to find out again which version is the right one for me.
You can also look at the flacon as a tailor's bust. I am of the opinion that I once read that it was also meant as a tailor's dummy Anyway, it depends on the content of a bottle and if you store your fragrances in a dark chamber like me, you will only see them for a short time to spray them anyway.

I am glad that I have gone around in circles, in this case it has helped to return to himself and his preferences to the fullest extent.
So turning in circles does not only have negative aspects.
Resplend in memories
When I was 19, my mother brought this scent with her. I had never been a fan of my mother's fragrances before because when I was little she used to do a lot of chypre and I kind of always associated it with muff. But with Classique everything changed. I was so blown away by this hammer scent that I stole it from her again and again. The scent was not cheap, and as a schoolgirl I unfortunately didn't have the money for it at the time. At some point she was annoyed and gave me my own bottle for my birthday. I was happy like Bolle! And the time couldn't have been better. Because I had just finished school, started studying and wanted to wear something other than Casmir, which was my signature scent before. Since I had just ended a relationship, it fitted perfectly as a new fragrance for a new phase in my life.

Funnily enough, I was often asked if I would wear Casmir. I didn't find them to be that similar, perhaps with the exception of the vanilla base. But especially men liked to confuse the scents, and men found all of them super about me.

The fragrance accompanied me pretty much through my entire study time, even though I later added many new fragrances to my collection. Among all the others, Classique always remained something special. No wonder, because I associate many incredibly beautiful memories with this fragrance, which I remember with pleasure even today with a smile on my face.

The fragrance is sweet, no question, but not overwhelmingly sweet and never too much. When I think of the hyped women's fragrances of today, Classique still stands out as something special. I have always tested new mainstreamers, but nobody was so beautiful and round from beginning to end. Whether Angel, Wish, Flowerbomb or the ladies classics of today: Most of them I simply feel as unpleasantly pushy-sweet. It's not classic, and because it's so round and doesn't span the bow, it's still a good choice for both females and males today.

Classique is a fragrance that will certainly delight us for some years to come. One who's looking for his peers. I don't own it anymore because that time is over for me. Nevertheless, I get stuck with fragrances that go in this direction on a regular basis. Like L'Or de Torrente or poison from Ramon Molvizar. This fragrance had a special meaning in my life and is for me a piece of my past. I'm sure I'll love him all my life.
Branded forever
It was 1999, I just had my Abi in my pocket, was fresh as a civilian in the rescue service of a city of 100,000 inhabitants and got to know a nice girl from Austria via AOL Instant Messenger. Since one was young, reasonably free and thanks to Zivi-Sold also quite fluid, it happened that I visited the young lady after many chats and some telephone calls with my 60 PS Opel. One was immediately so likeable and impressed face to face that one consolidated the arrangement accordingly and we paid each other visits in a two-week rhythm. It was a really great time, which I still remember with pleasure today. Especially the turn of the millennium, snowed in in the Tyrolean mountains...it couldn't be nicer at that time.
Now it happened that the young lady in question liked to wear Classique and the fragrance became my favourite perfume for women at that time. Yeah, somehow he's stayed that way to this day. I caught myself that even after the end of the above mentioned arrangement I recommended my following friends to buy Classique (I was a poor student in my time).

Classique is now a quarter of a century old. In my nose it has lost nothing of topicality, attractiveness and portability until today. For me, Classique is the epitome of olfactory femininity. You don't smell the fragrance too often anymore, but every time I get the nose, I automatically turn in the direction of the supposed wearer. You may look me in the eye, but I find that the fragrance is always attached to attractive women or the fragrance makes women even more attractive for me.
And yes, even the woman who has been married to me for eight years has a bottle of this wonderful elixir.

Since my wife lives rather ascetically with the number of her fragrances and is not so open for new fragrance experiences, my knowledge about feminine fragrances is also limited. Surely there are still many things that could draw me under his spell. But Jean Paul Gaultier has put a legacy on the market that for me will always remain the number 1 of women's fragrances.

Dear R., wherever you are today, I hope you are well.

Thanks for reading.
Amor en enero
It was supposed to be an evening just for her, that her best friend had promised her. They wanted to go to their favourite bar today and celebrate once again, it was finally their twenty-seventh birthday and the last year was not the best.

She stood nervously in front of her wardrobe. What would she wear? The decision was difficult for her, because it was a cold January evening.
"Always the same," she said, annoyed. Usually it ran out on a tight jeans with sweater and beautiful boots. But today it should be different. She wanted to look good, because he would be there today too.

Him? His name was Juan. He was an extremely attractive man of Latin American descent. They had met a few years ago in this bar. She had a passion for Latin American music. She loved salsa and bachata as much as he did. That's why they always met to dance. So she could forget her everyday life for one evening. And today it should be like that again.

She chose the royal blue dress that she bought a few years ago but never wore.
By her dark long hair it came still better to the Geltung.
In combination with the beautiful gold chain and the black pumps she once spent a fortune on, she was ready for tonight. Her black winter coat would warm her up already.

She put on her coat and looked again in the mirror. "Yes, so I can go," she said. On the way to the door she suddenly stopped. Something was missing...
Yeah. She hadn't put on any perfume yet. But the choice was really big.
As she was already far too late, she simply took a scent that she hadn't worn for a long time, but which always provided her with free drinks and attracted the men like flies. After two discreet sprayers she set off.
It was freezing cold outside. Well just typical for an evening in January.

On the way to the tram, a warm scent pierced her nose. Fruity orange blossom mixed with the softness of the rose in combination with the sensuality of the orchid. She smelled like a vanilla angel who every few seconds becomes Aphrodite, the goddess of love. Not only the spiciness in combination with the sharpness of the ginger triggered her heart palpitations, because she was immediately there.
Your girlfriend was waiting for you at the next stop. Both fell into each other's arms. They hadn't seen each other for an eternity.

When they arrived at the bar their friends were waiting for them, but he wasn't there.
She didn't let on and enjoyed the evening despite everything. Hours passed and her birthday was almost over.
They decided to drink a short nightcap in the pub around the corner. But when they set off, he came in...

He smiled at her, hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. More than a "hey" and an embarrassed smile didn't get her out.

Slightly tipsy, she decided to stay there as the only one. She didn't care what the others thought, because now he was there. With her.

They sat down at their favourite place and time flew by. It was after two in the morning and more and more people left. The music became slower and quieter.
Then he got up. He asked her to dance at the end of the evening.
Both had never danced to slow music before. It was perfect.

"Did you just put on perfume? You smell wonderful," he breathed into her ear.
She laughed and said, "I didn't."
Neroli, Neroli, Neroli
Twin babies are said never to grow up. I'm sure that applies to me. I've kept my childlike mind in many ways. For example, when I see a perfume whose bottle is in a glass ball where it snows when you shake it, the child inside of me is in raptures and desires towards "wanting to have" are awakened.
Jean Paul Gaultier - a good friend of mine always calls him the Gaul animal - has implemented this delightful idea in his Snow Flake Christmas Edition. The bottle - in the shape of a sexy female torso, dressed in a skintight, red Christmas dress - contains 100 ml of Classique, probably the most successful fragrance from the Gaul animal.
Although the famous Eau de Toilette was published in 1993, I deliberately never got it under my nose. That had to change now. As cute as the little figure in the snow globe may seem - I don't want to buy a perfume for about 70 Euros that I don't know. Also, my experience so far with the scents of the Gaul animal - I'm just thinking of Scandal by Night - hasn't been so encouraging that I would blindly trust that we're both compatible - the Classique and me.
So we recommend a test in a perfumery. I search and find, spray and sniff ... The scent immediately seems familiar to me, reminds me of something. Slowly the knowledge rises from my subconscious: That's marshmallow dough! These little sweet cubes that I like to nibble on in autumn and winter. As much as I love the candy, I don't have to have it on me as a fragrance. Classique doesn't smell like marshmallow candy either. It's more like this treat is perfumed with neroli.
Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. That's Neroli. Orange blossoms. A whole flood of it pours itself olfaktorisch with full force over me. Those who like this fragrance must now feel like in seventh heaven. I'm afraid that doesn't apply to me. I'm having trouble with Neroli. This fragrance seems to me somehow penetratingly bittersweet.
Classique also starts with pear, mandarin, rose and star anise in the top note. But they obviously hide so well behind the massive orange blossom that I can't sniff them out. Only Neroli - dominant, intense and of (for me) intrusive sweetness.
Really "flowery" like in the description the scent doesn't affect me.
Classique contains many good ingredients. Ginger, for example, iris, orchid, plum, ylang-ylang ... But nothing can be perceived of it either. The scent remains somehow as it is - from the first moment on. There is nothing fresh, light, bright, delicate - only the weight of orange blossom sweetness.
I always sniff the back of my hand and the test strip on which I sprayed the EdT. I hope to find something else that fascinates me about this fragrance. But there's only Neroli. Neroli, neroli, neroli.
From the top note, the scent becomes dull, seems to me. It reminds me of the smell of handbags worn a lot by old ladies.
Sexy, as the bottle suggests? Nothing. Sneaky? Well, since he's hardly changing, not much. Seductive? Not really after my sensation.
Okay, it's not "my scent." Too pompous and intense, too monotonous. He doesn't make me curious and he doesn't inspire me.
However, the durability is not to be despised. Two or three hours after spraying on, it is still showing strong signs of life. Now amber, musk and vanilla should create new scent sensations. All strong scents, but here totally overshadowed by Neroli. Only a hint of white powder comes into play. That must be Amber. Dry and balsamic, the fragrance nestles against the omnipresent Neroli dominance.
Now I'm not surprised why I never liked the bottles of the Gaul animal - they wanted something like that ordinary. The rather obtrusive scent fits congenially to it. For a performance with Classique, a woman must be strong, self-confident and courageous. I'm not.
I already had the problem with Neroli with Narcisse of Chloé. I don't know why I bought that scent back then. Today I can't understand it anymore. However, this fragrance did not accompany me for long. I soon found him unbearably penetrating. That hasn't changed so far.
Neroli just doesn't smell good to me. Rather than unpleasant and causing headaches.
What do you want me to say? Classique just doesn't suit me. So the snow globe won't come into my possession. Saving money. Still a pity: The snow flakes are so romantic. On the other hand this edition is the Christmas Edition from 2017 anyway. This year there seems to be no new one from the house of the Gaul animal. Anyway - who wants yesterday's Christmas Editions?

Robot orange blossom
The 90’s were a good decade for nectar-ish florals and amber-ish sweetness. So many fragrances launched during those years featured them prominently; as the other side of the Calone coin and airy cleanliness, heavy honeyed florals were the other end of the spectrum. And Jean Paul Gaultier (nicknamed Classique at the end of the decade) came busting like a boudoir on fire, powder and orange blossom vanilla!

JPG starts with subtly fruity and slightly spicy bergamot and aniseed. The orange blossom shows from the start, this is the note on which the whole fragrance revolves around, and it’s bigger than life. Supposedly there’s tuberose and ylang ylang, but honesty I can’t really smell neither one of them. There’s a certain ‘full fat-ness’ that I assume is the buttery quality of ylang, but the Queen is nowhere to be seen. I wonder though if you can sense her in brief glimpses of green that flash for nanoseconds before disappearing.
There’s also a pronounced nail polish effect which I assume is either aldehydes or a combination of notes. After all, the inspiration behind it included powdered wigs, nail enamel and dusty theater curtains.
The heart and base notes show the orange blossom in full bloom; heady and heavy, honeyed and spiced up. But the spices are gentler than what previous decades offered, and here we get cinnamon and ginger primarily, at times evoking the scented potpourris that permeated the air in homes, stores and everywhere in the mid 90’s; come autumn and winter, you couldn’t escape the scent of cinnamon and vanilla that permeated many a store!
The base shows said spices, but softened by creamy vanilla, amber and sandalwood. The powderiness doesn’t show up on me until the very end, and then it’s a soft violet powder, reminiscent of Oscar de la Renta; mysterious, solemn, beautiful.

The bottle which I own comes from 1995, when it was simply called Jean Paul Gaultier. And while the bottle looks like a modernist tribute to Elsa Schiaparelli’s Shocking bottle, the enfant terrible created something equally avant Garde for its time; it was the 90’s and early 00’s equivalent of what Poison, Giorgio and the likes were to the 80’s. Loud, bombastic, never taking itself too seriously. And it succeeded because it was fun and well made. A modern classic and one of the nicest orange blossoms.
The formula of today is quite thin, pale and soulless (what else is new?), heck even the color is almost transparent compared to the deep amber of the vintage. The 2016 Essence de Parfum is the closest to the original release and one of the nicest flankers; while not the same, it has the same huge orange blossom, ‘modernized’ with the current novelties, whipped cream and chili. But totally worth it if you miss the old Classique. And equally strong and powerful.
Marietta
good girls come to heaven, evil everywhere...
the lady knows what she wants and all the others know it too...here all registers are pulled, there no questions remain open, or perhaps nevertheless!?a great perfume and in the suitable frame so not at all cheaply, as it is assumed with pleasure.on the contrary...the smell dominates all facets of the seduction...
Pretty woman
Rarely is there a veil of scent to which foreign noses turn with ecstasy. Apart from the fact that Classique is anything but classic, it remains long and intense in our memories. In connection with this smell I imagine a real, feminine, strong and provocative woman who knows how to present herself defensively. She knows how she affects her environment and skillfully underlines this with this sensory magic. Stunning, tempting and unmistakable! Pretty woman walkin' down the street....

Silly Bottle Surrender
Early in my perfumista journey I vowed never to own a perfume housed in a female torso bottle. So much for vows. I don't even know why I like this, exactly. Maybe it's the utterly intoxicating top note that makes me close my eyes and yearn for far-off sunsets, the unusually successful Iris/Orchid accord. The base is certainly stellar simplicity. I just know once I smelled this at the counter today, no way I was leaving without it. Maybe I'll just hide the bottle...some place invisible but quite near so I can spray this beauty at heartfelt will and dream.

Feminine Vanilla. Rose & Orange Blossom
The review is for edt version of Classique.
The scent starts very vanillic ,incense-y orange blossom.
Incense and vanilla sweetness stays from opening until the dry down.
It's the kind of incense like infusion d'Iris Prada but this is very vanillic smelling and the florals that picking out the whole are orange blossoms and rose.
The package is unique and distinctive -the femme's nude body-like the male's version nude body...
It's very good wearing more of the young ages and i would say very good for the evening nights out.
I categorize it to floriental vanilla and the longevity is very good (more than +8 hours).

Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
Sexy, feminin and intoxicating: it's the typical fragrance to wear whenever you want to show your feminity . A BoudoirBoudoir scent
Bcars10Bcars10 3 years ago
GORGEOUS powdery-amber-orange blossom drydown! Wafts around and is comforting and stimulating all at once! Too bad about the ugly bottle. :(

by Smitty
by Smitty
by Habanita
by Habanita
by Entenradio
~Adam an Gott bei Evas Anblick: Kannst du so schöne Sachen aus meinen Rippen machen, so nimm, so nimm doch nur noch mehr, nimm alle meine Rippen, Herr!~unbekannt
by Sunshine00
by PhilosHippos
by TIA1971
by TIA1971
by Liebmausdana
Foto geknipst auf der Ausstellung The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier, Barbican, London, 06.14.
by AmyAmy
by Süchtig
by Goldlola
by Goldlola

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Superman Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier