Kokorico 2011 Eau de Toilette

Kokorico (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Interbrand
Kokorico (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 2011. The scent is woody-gourmand. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesFig leafFig leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesCocoaCocoa PatchouliPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by Skylab, last update on 27.03.2022.

Like A Rooster Crow At Dawn
Here is another example of an underrated and under-considered fragrance that literally drives me crazy. It was discontinued miserably. I really like this fragrance. I got it on a whim with a discount, there were only two red metal boxes left, and I wasn't disappointed. I had no expectations other than knowing it was gourmand, dark, and woody. In some respects, Kokorico is undoubtedly an unusual and exciting signature fragrance, but it is neither innovative nor revolutionary, although it is indeed delicious. Perfume is an aphrodisiac based on sensuality and brings together several ideas already seen in other brands. It takes L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Eau de Toilette luscious cocoa note, matches it with the youthful vibe of Angel Eau de Parfum patchouli, and finally adds a subtle undertone of refreshing green leafy fig.

In terms of the juice stored inside a black bottle, Kokorico announces itself with a sweetly exotic melange, like the crowing of a rooster at dawn. On me, it starts off quite squeaky and has the acidity that is usually found in a civet pile. In the beginning, I can define a note as wet cardboard, which I like because it differs from the canonical citrus accords and which I have already encountered in other modern fragrances. It has to be the fig accord, somewhat tart, skunky, neither dry nor milky nor fruity, with its milky coconut whisper, instead, almost like a smell of dried fruit or raisins. It blends with the character of steamed basmati rice of vetiver and the diffusive cocoa aspect of patchouli. Oddly enough, the fig is not as prominent as in Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme Eau de Toilette, Guess 1981 Indigo for Men, or Fusion d'Issey; instead, it is drier and more balsamic. The fig green combined with a particular scent of thick and spicy cocoa gives this scent a refreshing quality.

My advice is to wait, letting the solid herbaceous and sour scents fade away. Only after a few minutes do all the notes melt, and you appreciate the fragrance. Sweet and green intertwine perfectly with cocoa that evokes aromatic and spicy sensations. An alien aroma, similar to a chocolate rice pudding, wafts through the middle. Here, in the heart, patchouli takes over, with its dark woody green, with musky and camphor reflections, and contends the scene with dry, bittersweet cocoa to enclose a slightly different opening. The raw cocoa bean, more similar to dark chocolate, the bitter one, envelops you in its greediness and sensuality.

It softens and smoothes in explosive and warm chaos harmonized by dry woody shades. When the lower notes of vetiver and patchouli exude, the whole composition goes from delicious gourmand to woody-spicy, emphasizing woody notes. Pencil shavings and buttery facets of cedarwood dance with dark chocolate-like patchouli accords. Not listed, ambroxan is such a vital part of the Kokorico final stage, fortunately not in a "Diorish" way. The hints of chocolate also persist in the base.

It is a masculine perfume, but not in the old-fashioned and traditional sense. More than a refined school, with the right hints of woody and gourmand notes without overflowing into the sentimental. A good one for dinner, a night out, and intimate moments with a favorite lover. I think it will shine in the colder months of autumn and winter. Both longevity and projection are moderate. An irrepressible fragrance, a generous, sensual, but strong perfume. Full of audacity and surprises, capable of overturning the classic codes of men's perfume. I don't mean that Kokorico is a crowd-pleaser.

I base the review on a bottle I have owned since April 2021.

-Elysium

Beautifully crafted
I didn't have much expectations for this one as it's poorly rated and it went by with no guts nor glory. You don't hear ANYONE talking about this and there must be a reason it was discontinued and forgotten by the fragrance world however, as a collector I'm always interested in discontinued frags or any obscure things I can get my hands on as long as the price is reasonable and I found a 50ml BNIB for about $40 so I went for it and after all, it'd be nice to have a JPG in my collection that doesn't have 'Male' in the name.

The bottle is a little tacky, the head but it's also really nice, it's a gimmick but a nice one for that matter. Presentation is great, it comes in a tin can presentation that you may expect from a niche fragrance, the bottle is a glossy black that is a face in the front but if you see by the side it's identical to the Le Male torso which is really cool but you don't buy a fragrance for the bottle right? what about the juice? The juice is amazing, I get this dark chocolaty feel, patchouli and vetiver some fig and it goes along amazingly, it's very artisty and beautifully crafted.

Performance is good, 7-8 hours in my skin and the projection is just right, not beast mode (it won't offend others) but it's not skin scent. All in all this is a great surprise, my recognition to the perfumers for another well crafted scent, waaaaaaay ahead of its time and perhaps that says something about its early demise. To me this kind of resembles Nasomatto Pardon but with some designer sensibilities, I can't praise this enough
no half cock
"Can I have that?" he asked, the man at my side.
"Can I have that when you're done testing?"
That sounded hopeful, that sounded like Habenwill - I had to ask to make sure I had understood him correctly.
"The man, who is rarely enthusiastic about the fragrances I test, which I wear, said "Ferragamo pour Homme", which he liked many years ago, followed sometime by "Tuscan Leather", "Fields of Rubus" - my memory doesn't give much more.
And now this.
"Kokorico," the rooster he wanted.
The.
of all people
But it's not that I don't understand him.
Not at all.
The scent with the silly name is beautiful.
Really nice.
Then, if you like fragrances of this kind.
"Kokorico" is a warm, soft, dark, velvety, yet thoroughly masculine fragrance that women can still wear without hesitation.
If she pays a little attention to the dose - less here is decidedly more.
I had to recognize this on the very first day, when the surge from the Apo dropper was too big.
Then it got loud, the cock, very loud - too much ambroxan, too much testosterone rose from the sunny September skin, clouded my senses and pressed a little bit hard on my stomach.
That was a lesson to me, the following days it went more cautiously to work.

Whatever the pyramid may tell us, it is not complete.
Ambroxan is being embezzled, I'm pretty sure, and probably laboratory oud too.
Otherwise I cannot explain the warm spice, the dark dense low, the tender scratching, the "Kokorico" on my woman's skin exudes after an almost two lashes long prelude of watery light green, latent fruit.
That can be fig leaf, no question, but also the leaf on almost every tree that bears fruit in the south as well as in the west.
It is so quickly gone, the freshness, that its function, its sense and purpose is not revealed - perhaps it is the young morning that breaks before the first cock's cry.

After this short hint of freshness, it becomes dark (again) - resins and consecrated smoke combine with pencil cedar and a fine sweet that seems to come from chocolaty rather than gothic patchouli.
I can't recognize cocoa as such, not the bitter-oily one that my nose knows.
But - I already wrote it - a lot of ambroxan, a lot of wood, a lot of oud.
A little sage, maybe.
Not any more.
And certainly not less.

"Kokorico" seems to me to be the forerunner of fragrances like Sentifiques "Testostérone", Diors "Sauvage" and all the powerhouses whose virility often overflows buses, trains, supermarkets.
Here, however, one has taken a back seat, does not yet follow the motto "a lot helps a lot", as long as the spray head is made with caution.
One drop from the Apo was enough to wrap me in a transparent aura, well perceptible even the next morning, but not slaying, not too dense.
And to awaken him, the have-will reflex in the man next door who is tall, dark, masculine.
And certainly not half a rooster.

Drakecito
Wow, a well made perfume!!! Stop selling that...
Perhaps one of the best "designer" releases of recent years.

Surrounded by "products of the type" "Hugo", "CH" or "1 Million" (I can continue to infinity ...), aimed, rather, at a teenage audience, this perfume was a pleasant surprise for How different and daring it is.

Its predominant notes are patchouli with cocoa, vetiver and little else. It may have some wood, but the rest are very light notes.

It is a very daring aroma, in the sense that it comes out of the most common of these days, with an earthy touch and above all "different" (YES, that is just the seal of J.P. Gaultier). With a very good duration but a soft sillage rather stuck to the skin (I think that, in this case, it is not a bad thing).

I see it more focused on people close to or over 30 years, since you have to have a certain character to carry it, simply because of the different or "shocking" that can result.

Kokorico, I think he has had a great flaw. It really smells like many components of what it declares, such as classic perfumes, that is, the patchouli smells like patchouli, cocoa with cocoa and even the vetiver, gives it an earthy hue, as it should be. All this, clashes with the perfumes of his time, in which to find a note that smells minimally sharp and decent, it is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Without looking like any masterpiece, but if it seems remarkable, because of what I mentioned before and because unlike many of his time, like 1 Million, Kokorico is balanced in all its phases.

In summary: Gaultier's excellent perfume, which has already been discontinued, I understand that because of its low sales, but hey, "Twilight" was No. 1 in sales and we are alive and so happy. XDD

Tarred and Feathered ?
You better be ready quick ! The big "money shot" in Kokorico happens in the Opening credits. A sharp, acrid green of distilled fig leaf... poured over a pungent plot of patchouli... Complete with garden soil, (as played by the double-duty cacao). A compelling accord that borders on the grotesque AND the sublime. (Very Annick Menardo). Everything after that, is rather anti-climatic. Simply, charming after-sex banter between gruff patchouli, and alluring cacao (now, the velvety hot chocolate powder variety)... still entwined on a bed of vetiver, and cedar. True, the dynamics of this duo may wear off for some before the scent does. But Kokorico's cacao note alone, continued to drive me "cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs", long into it's drydown! (and that's NOT a bad thing ; )

I can see why the much maligned Kokorico wasn't a big hit. Both the Opening, and concept, may be too audacious for the mass-market: A scent that dares to repel as much as it beckons. But the rest of Kokorico proves to be a quirky, huggable, masculine scent. A good alternative for younger cocoa lovers who may find DHI and L'instant, too dressy or mature.

Distinctive, and easily the most fun to wear in my wardrobe.

Longevity:9/10(in base)
Projection(Fall temp):7/10(in mid)
Art/Creatives:8/10(bottle,concept,
composition)–A preposterous
surrealist bottle worthy of Dali.
How:Casual,anytime,fall,winter,
date,snuggling,signature.
2.5

A feeble mating-call
The name is so silly that I would certainly consider a man who'd display a bottle of "Kokorico" on his bathroom-shelf a trifle weird. "Doodle-doo" or "Kokorico" in French is a men's perfume released by Gaultier in 2011 - and this fragrance was given considerable attention because because of its bottle, its name and the advertising campaign related to it.
In Germany, the image of the faucet does not evoke positive feelings, especially when the word rooster is used as a synonym of the noun "man". (In English, of course, the word "cock" has yet another meaning I don't want to expand on). Expressions like "vain rooster, cock of the walk, cock fighting" are normally not loaded with positive significance. However, the cock, the Gallic rooster, is indeed the symbolic animal of France. Always ready to indulge in fights of all kind, an alert and active type, the French rooster embodies key French qualities of a guy like former President Sarkozy (who is planning a comeback).
But the marketing of fragrances has to operate on an international scale today, and I doubt that German, British or Chinese men or women consider the rooster's wake-up call a plausible name for a scent.
Nevertheless one could argue that Gaultier used a clever marketing-strategy, taking into acccount the fact that costumers need certain visual stimuli. The bottle is designed to stir the interest of the client who has to cope with the grotesque bottle before spraying the fragrance. And what's it like? The scent itself? Is it a wake up call, a scream of masculinity? Well, I'd say it's an "okay fragrance". In most forums it has been compared to "L'Instant pour Homme" by Guerlain, but I personally think that "Kokorico" is only distantly related to the Guerlain fragrance. "Kokerico-doodle-doo" is no revelation to me and offers nothing new. It starts quite strongly with loads of fig and patchouli. The often mentioned cocoa-note is present in the background, it is primarily the patchouli that dominates. Therefore I'd call "Kokorico" a scent devoid of surprises. Who has not smelled a strong patchouli-fragrance before? When either my husband or I yearn for patchouli, we can rely on many offerings of this variant which are superiour to Gaultier.
Staying-power is mediocre, too - after two hours you're done with your "mating call". Other men's fragrances reveal their beguiling potential only after two or three hours...
I guess the whole concept of "Kokerico" is kind of a gag with the bottle having been modeled according to a portrait of Monsieur Gaultier himself. The famous French satirist Coluche once said that the rooster is the most suitable symbol of France. Why? Because it is the only animal that continues singing happily when its feet are already deep down in "la merde". I'd call this stamina or "résistance". But unfortunately, "Kokorico" is no good example of this adorable quality.

Kokorico
On Wednesday Manchester was a wash with Kokorico Mania, fifty foot high posters every where depicting the Gaultier model In all his glory. It got me all of a flutter with excitement so Into Selfridges we all ran. Once Inside I had to fight my way through a sea of social reprobates and chavz In their track suits and hoodies, alarm bells began to ring.

Imagine the scene, security guards were twitching nervously and the orange faced perfume sellers where goggle eyed trying to stop the shoplifters, Immediately It cheapened the product and I was right, Oh dear Mr Gaultier. On first spraying what you get Is a TM Amen rip off, sad but true. After about two hours It began to smell like Elnett hairspray, yep just one big disappointment I just couldn't believe what I was being put through.

Anyway the lads from social housing and the unemployment dept seemed to like It, the drug addict shoplifters also had a field day, you could get the fragrance on Deansgate by three that afternoon, £10 a 50ml bottle, still In the tin.So It seems this seasons fragrance for trackie lads Is Kokorico, football grounds will stink of the stuff, council estates and the job centre will never have smelt better, so If I were you I would just stick to the Amen or If your me....Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille.

EsojoEsojo 2 months ago
This scent is actually MUCH closer to Rochas Lui than to L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme. Intense cedar done Almairac-style.
ElysiumElysium 6 months ago
Manly, more than a refined school, with the right hints of woody and gourmand notes without overflowing into the sentimental.
GolcherGolcher 1 year ago
It’s beyond me how this fragrance is rated so low. To me this is a designer, leatherless version of Nasomatto’s Pardon.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
Parfumo has weird users. 6.6 for a scent that is great and better than the majority of the designers out there?! Buy it if you can. 4/5
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A trully unique fragrance prposing you a vetiver-cedar-patchouli strong background, with an exquisite fig leaf and cocoa in the foreground.
DarkbeatDarkbeat 4 years ago
A direct attack on the palate. Incredible chocolaty woods with earthy and warm nuances, that will awaken your salivary glands, essential.

by Ormeli
by Mosi9
by Zezick
by Zezick

Popular by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Pin-Up by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier