Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Beau is a new perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 2019. The scent is sweet-synthetic. It is being marketed by Puig.

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoconut palmwood
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 02.06.2020.

Querelle de Brest In Gold Mise
First, the bottle. The iconic but more sculpted and angular shape of a barechested torso compared to previous editions is the same already used for Le Mâle Essence de Parfum, here the bush is covered with a golden vine leaf. The juice inside is emerald green, so vicious, so luscious. The sailor Querelle from Brest is now Adam in the Garden of Gaultier. Subsequently, the perfume. If you have never smelt it, you will be pleasantly surprised because it smells completely different from the other Le Mâle flankers. Although Le Beau follows the trend of the 21st century, it doesn't even feel like any of its rivals.

Here and across the web, only three main notes are mentioned: bergamot, coconut, and tonka bean. However, I doubt they are the only notes present, and there is undoubtedly much more to Le Beau than the notes listed, let's see. This is heavy for cutting herbs like lavender, sage, perhaps patchouli. The iris root is most likely present since ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE is listed in the ingredients, and I perceive a powdery nuance.

The nutty-fresh coconut note is made very nicely and unabashedly likens the crispy wafer shell covered with coconut flakes of the Ferrero's Raffaello pralines. These fluffy, sweet candies combine sugar and coconut to heavenly effect. The sweetness and creaminess come from the velvety smooth cream inside. A pure pleasure that brings an unexpected touch of love and affection straightforward to your heart. The bergamot adds a right bit of powderiness and makes the opening so sensual, gourmand, enticing. Don't think of exotic suntan lotion or piña colada long drink smell. This is not the hot coconut milk by any means, this is coconut woods, which has the coconut vibe but woodier, darker, smoother, and creamier but bitter. The opening is deep, penetrating, intoxicating.

As it quiets down, at the heart, no orange blossom or spices like Le Mâle but rather a note of coconut wood in the background. Refined, not dominant yet still present, which inspires a profound desire to relax. As I anticipated, I surmise a bit of aromatic lavender and sage are present. More, there is a floral nuance in the heart, and I won't be surprised if a sweet floral rose-like or better geranium-like note is included. That floral accent is intertwined with a spicy emphasis, soothing, sweet, candy, like red hots cinnamon, which add a bit of spiciness without distracting from the main accords. Well, when I wrote that Le Beau doesn't smell like any other perfume, I was too hasty and told you a taradiddle. I catch a nuance that is present in Abercrombie & Fitch SoCal, the same coconut vibe, especially after half an hour or so.

The tonka here is sweet, but roasted, reminiscent of toffee, marzipan, vanillic, which gives it an aroma woodier and not akin to bubblegum. The more the dry down approaches, the more it turns woody. If you are familiar with modern amber interpretation, you will recognize a touch of synthetic amber in here. Not the overused ambroxan, but a rarer amberwood, which has less sweetness but more woodiness and muskiness respect to ambrox. After an hour, you are left with tonka sweetness and just a slight hint of coconut for another hour. After the two-hour mark, it's a pure skin scent, some bittersweetness that lasts another 2 hours on the skin. A dirty note lingers in the air, modern and leathery white patchouli presumably.

On my skin, the sillage and projection are moderate, a couple of hours before it turns into a skin scent, however, the longevity is excellent, several hours. The overall sweetness makes me reach for it during Spring and Fall seasons, a bit too light for Winter, but definitely too strong for Summer. I would rock it daily in leisure time, and nightly for clubbing, perhaps too risky for the office.

The review is based upon a 125ml bottle I own and received as a 2019 Xmas gift.

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium
Enhoss
After an hour, it smells like sweat...
In itself, I found the scent very beautiful. It reminded me of afternoons on the beach, warm and with a pina colada in my hand. It gets problematic after an hour. I always apply my scents after showering and after an hour I smelled more like sweat. But not the stench of sweat after exercise, but more the stench after not showering for three days and trying to cover the stench with a fresh scent. Maybe he just reacts badly to my body scent. No idea. Anyway, my girlfriend said I stink. Pity about the idea of the fragrance. The performance ruins everything.

I’ll admit I’m a JPG fan;
And this one didn’t disappoint me, personally. I DO get an Eros-esque vibe (the original, not the flame), but as time progresses, it becomes more of its own flavor. I don’t really get much of the coconut... I mean it’s there, but it’s not the traditional, main stream, sweet “pina colada feeling” coconut most would expect; it smells more like a fresh green coconut does, a lighter, not quite so sweet feel (if you’ve had fresh coconut and/or coconut “milk” right out of the shell, you’ll know what I mean; it’s a very faint version of the sweet coconut smell) I think there’s more of a light, slightly Woody, sweet tonka feel. The opening has a little citrus pinch to it, and from there it rapidly goes into it’s sweetness. Some people say they can detect the “JPG DNA” in this, but it doesn’t really kick out the Le Male feel in my opinion. If any similarity is there, I think it’d be to the Le Male Essence EDP base note, and that would be a VERY faint similarity.

Personally it fades away to my own nose after about 2 hours or so, but my wife can detect it a good 8 hours after applying. Projection doesn’t bring a huge radius; maybe a 2ft radius for the first 2hrs or so, and it leaves a pretty good trail in sillage. I really enjoy the scent, as does my wife. She tends to enjoy the Eros-esque style of fragrance. I’m happy with this purchase; I’ve worn it for a few days and it does leave a nice impression on females who encounter it; it didn’t take long to snag a compliment.
"Dubai Walk at Jumeirah Beach" in the nose
Oriental fragrance that strongly reminds me of the Jumeirah Walk fragrances in Dubai. Pleasantly intense, initially thought of oud but that seems to be the bergamot? I am unfortunately no connoisseur of the individual fragrance oils but in any case a good mixture of sweet and woody-herb. I wasn't actually thinking about coconut. A lot of people write something about summer scent here. I think this fragrance is more for the winter because it is a little heavier. Fresh clothes are more suitable for the summer. Le Beau lasts long, the heart and base notes are very pleasant and rise into the nose with every movement. For me a clearly better fragrance compared to Le Male. Also reminiscent of the oriental Le Gemme series by Bvlgari. I have a very similar one in mind. Anyone who likes oriental fragrances, TF Oud Wood etc. will most probably like this fragrance.
A treat
Here in the coal pot the remark has: "You look delicious ! two different meanings.
Either - you look good, though - or you look worn out, though.
You have to hear out the subtle differences in emphasis.

Le Beau is delicious in a positive sense.

He is not a fat gourmand - but still very appetizing.

The tonka bean is round and sweetish, but experiences freshness and lightness through the bergamot.
The woods are also soft and discreet.

A very attractive scent, which I feel as unisex.

It is suitable for the workplace and for leisure time - and I don't see any age limit either.

A good all-rounder with " Schmiegecharakter " - which is really " beau ".

The temptation of Adam
Eva woke up again in paradise. She opened her eyes and, as always, was amazed by the beauty of the plants and animals. She was a perfect adult woman, and totally aware of her destiny as the mother of humanity. She looked around and did not see Adam. Something told her that she had to meet again that being who would complete her. Safely and decisively she started walking and crossed the forest guided by her instinct. She suddenly stopped, dazzled by the beauty of the ocean in front of her. The immense blue water ended at the sandy shore golden line. Here and there some coconut trees grew as if marking the border between the green and the blue. Sleeping under one of the coconut palms was Adam, virile and beautiful as she remembered him. She got closer ... the picture was perfect but something was bothering her ... something that did not combine with that idyllic scene. Instead of an animal and masculine smell, Adam emanated a disturbing, intense, fresh and sweet aroma, that overlapped the smell of the fallen coconuts around him. It was only then that she noticed that flask filled with a blue elixir tumbled next to Adam's sleeping body. A chill ran through her. She realized that his companion had fallen into temptation and splashed the blue potion all over his body. The divine prohibition against altering their natural human condition was worthless, and had been broken. Adam now smelled of spices and coconut water, and nothing would ever be as it was before.

By today's evening, my Neroli based EdT had long disappeared. As I passed by Séphora, I saw Gaultier's "Le Beau", also known locally as the "Adam with the Leaf" bottle. I confess that I liked that flask, showing a masculine silhouette just covered with a leaf, standing alone on the store's main window display.
A doubt aroused to my mind - "Why not? I don't need to die stupid!" ... and I passed to the action. I landed the shopping bags on the floor and moved quietly so that I would not be assaulted by the sales girls in uniform patrolling behind and in front of the shop counters.
I sprayed my first (and last) three "Le Beau" whiffs on my arm and returned to the mall corridors. - "The bottle is pretty enough, so let's now see about the juice inside", thought I ... A ton of piñacolada syrup together with a spicy heavy sweetness entered in my nose. In my arm that sweetness stick like glue and I was not at ease with that girl scent emanating from my skin. The people passing by looked at me as if I was in need of a clean shower after bathing in a fruit cocktail. I was totally out of my comfort zone.
After two repenting thoughts and fifty meters down the corridor, I experienced a third deep and final sniff on my arm. I couldn't help to whisper between my teeth - "I should have died stupid after all !!!". I am the sort of person that cannot stand an ultra synthetic coconut note, not even in a shower gel. - "What a generic syrup!!!". I could only sense a strong vibe of an Axe deodorant tropical scent.
The problem was easy enough to solve. While seeing a Zara shop entrance at a distance, I went into the shopping mall toilet and washed the fragrant arm twice. The fragrance was easy to wash even if recently applied. Then I went into the Zara store to compensate my guinea pig upper limb. I applied three sprays from a S4and4lw00d tester on display at the fragrance counter. Only then I left the Zara store, happy as a child and thinking that I was smelling very manly again.

PS - Supporters of JPG perfumes please forgive me the . I am one of those men who still uses "Le Male" from time to time, and I also do like "Le Male Essence" as well. But "Le Beau" is really very generic and synthetic for my nose.

Music: The Temptations - "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"
Raffaelo to spray on
After my statement from a short time ago I follow up with a comment. Purchased this month. I didn't know what to expect, but I'm a fan of coconut scents and the Le Male-scents and Flanker are usually very good anyway. If you look at the net, it's not that expensive.
Whether you can call him the Flanker of Le Male... you don't know. The outfit's exactly the same. Men's torso, identical bottle and the usual tin can as packaging. Le Male is missing, but I think you can already see him as a Flanker. Here the name was chosen in the beautiful one, in addition a sheet like Adam also carried it. Cool idea in any case and great blue. It's transparent, a little bit of Le Male Essence. The concept was definitely appealing for me: great bottle and great fragrance pyramid.

About the scent: I have looked once whether I find somewhere a more extensive pyramid, however, have found no other than indicated here. Whether only these 3 scents are contained remains to be doubted, but a magnificently complex scent is not this and also no great course recognizable. I don't always have to. Especially with summery fragrance types it is nice to wear a simple No-Brainer, which does not overstrain unnecessarily and supports the simple carefree summer feeling. Coconut is a great note for it, which is also quite unique. This coconut note is always in the foreground the first hours. Reminds me of a Raphaelo. The tasty coconut-almond-ball comes quite close to this creation, because here beside the coconut also a creamy-sweet Tonka note is very present. In the beginning it is coconut with a little bit of tonka, to the dry-down the leaf turns and tonka stands in the foreground with a more subtle coconut note. Fresh and discreetly woody notes complement this creation.
All in all a great good mood mix for warmer days. Nothing quite serious, rather something for the casual area such as the summer leisure time, for the lake and other occasions without much frills. Super modern and perfect for teenagers and young adults but also for coconut fans. If you want to wear a more noble coconut scent, you should rather go to Creeds Virgin Island Water. Although this Le Beau is not trashy, it is not suitable for everyday use. It will probably not become a box-office hit, but it could well go down well with many, as it is quite unique and also modern. Especially with young people and in addition it is very unisex-suitable, since a "Raffaelo"-fragrance can be assigned rather to no sex.

Performance is also quite good but also not bombastic like many other Le Male flankers. It lasts many hours already with initially very good Sillage. Satisfactory.

Altogether a very solid release, which doesn't knock me off my feet and you don't necessarily have to have it in your collection. Still a nice alternative for summer leisure.

Dkay31
Stuffs the summer hole :)
Hello everyone :)

In the beginning it smells very fresh a light summer breeze when you walk through a flower field, in the departure comes (again) the vanilla smell and sprays the lust in the summer, this sweet note smells delicious, is not pushy and is just fun.

Maybe that gives many comparable scents, but especially in the designer area it is nothing new that there are copies of copies, I also think he gives a little bit of self-confidence.

The durability is very long for an EDT, I put it up this morning at 6 o'clock and at 13 o'clock was still quite easy to smell something.

For me the fragrance is worth every cent, but wouldn't buy it a second time because otherwise for me the "special something" gets lost and it becomes the standard, and for me perfume in general is something special because it's also damn expensive, so I get if it goes always new or other varieties, nothing the less, CLARE BUY RECOMMENDATION :)
Morpheus1
Le Beau? More like Le Terrible!
Jean-Paul: What has become of you?
As a worshipper of your greatest masterpiece JPG2, I have to write something like this once.

Today the newest creation from JPG was tested. It's okay in the beginning. Light trains from the original Le Male with coconut, hmm ok "not so bad" I thought.

Then all of a sudden after a few minutes the Tonka steamroller came and wanted to fascinate me regardless of my losses or my wallet. It sticks to the skin like superglue. No use doing the dishes. Well at least the target group gets something for the expensive money. Stubbornness in the base note.

The fragrance speaks volumes for a whole series of new releases, all ending in a synthetically cheap stabbing, sweet tonka bean base. Like Spicebomb Nightvision or CH Kings. I can't smell it anymore. My nose sounds the alarm immediately. Wear or even buy? Never.

Is that all that's possible today? No trace of quality or ingenuity. Only greed for profit everywhere.

Le Beau comes CH Kings very similar in base. No wonder. Both are based on the same concepts and basic fragrances. And that already after not even 5 minutes.

Sorry, but I can't recommend the scent to anyone. If you want to spend a lot of money on cheap, artificial clay synthetics, go ahead. The normal Le Male, worn a thousand times and watered down, is clearly better.
The new Le Male / Le Beau
I was pretty surprised,
when a few weeks ago I saw the new men's fragrance of JPG standing in the fragrance shelf .
I was actually assuming
that I discover it first on Parfumo .
The bottle is naturally taken from the fragrance of Gaultier Essence -
only as we have all seen in the meantime he is now with the fig leaf in front of
the best piece . ;-)
On the fragrance strip and on the skin he immediately reminded me of something ...
Not to the well-known LE MALE scent,
but rather leisure time ....vacation, sunshine .
No doubt - the memory of the days
was awakened where my Le Male fragrance mixed with the sun spray on the skin .
This is of course due to the coconut content in the fragrance .
The coconut scent reminds me of the most beautiful time of the year
and is now for this summer my companion ,
as long as it keeps on the skin. And he actually holds several hours with me .
And when summer's over,
i will probably sniff the bottle from time to time -
to remind me of the most beautiful time of the year

Dan81Dan81 6 days ago
I love this. Coconut does remind me of Pina colada. I don't underwent the Pina colada association as cheap as some says, yummy party scent!
DPArtistDPArtist 8 months ago
Very nice, uplifting & fun scent. Sweet & tropical but don't go expecting anything too unique among recent designer releases. Cool bottle!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 9 months ago
I am one of those who still uses "Le Male" from time to time, and I really do like "Le Male Essence". But this one is very, very generic.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 10 months ago
sweet-woody, almost gourmand, this scent follows the new trend being a little banal.Anyway quite good and longlasting. Kitsch the bottle
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 10 months ago
0.5
Don't even bother. Smells like every other designer perfume made in the last 5 years.
SpiffSpiff 10 months ago
Le Male Essence also by Bisch was an outstanding frag.As Morpheus1 said this quickly turns to tonka overload akin to CH Kings.Disappointing.

by GilAroma
by Zirkon
by Prophetfive
by Prophetfive

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Aviator by Jean Paul Gaultier