Le Mâle 1995 Eau de Toilette

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Jean Paul Gaultier
7.7 / 102093 Ratings
Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 1995. The scent is sweet-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Viride

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot TarragonTarragon CardamomCardamom LavenderLavender MintMint
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarawayCaraway NeroliNeroli CinnamonCinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber SandalwoodSandalwood Tonka beanTonka bean VanillaVanilla CedarwoodCedarwood

7.72093 Ratings

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.05.2022.

LE MÂLE - WINTER KING
Le Male is the most famous male fragrance. The bottle says it all - as masculine as possible, but playful and ambivalent due to the stripes.

The scent replies to the images of the bottle it's contained in properly.

The beginning is brute and truly manly, pumped up with cardamom, artemisia and mint. It's ....the male.

A few minutes later though the stripes start to creep in. And all of a sudden the tough male has become , well , playful. Freed from manly restrictions.

And, yes, middle and base notes are fantastic. Woods, cinnamon and vanilla make Le Male what it is - a true masterpiece of fragrance world.

I Had It, I Have It, I Will Have It
Hey, Parfumo's assistant reminds me that I know Le Mâle and should write a review. Truly? I mean, I had it, I have it, and I definitely will have it, and I haven't commented on it? My bad. People have already spent a lot of words on the torso bottle design or the metal tin box, so that I won't say more. Instead, let me tell you this is one of those perfumes that I think every guy has owned, and if you don't have it, you should have it and keep reading the review. The scent is a clean, sensual musky sweat, like a man's squeaky skin. It is an aromatic and desirable type of fragrance, which has nothing to do with other dirty things designed with sinful and raunchy male fluids in mind, like Kouros Eau de Toilette. A kind of barber's perfume, which befits a handsome man. So disruptive, trendy gay clubbers and straight men alike welcomed it with enthusiasm--I would swear a lot of women wore it too. Le Mâle was everywhere in the late '90s, and it still smells great today.

Le Mâle is back to its golden age. It is a cologne that revolves around mint, lavender, and vanilla blend. If you missed it, Francis Kurkdjian is the perfumer behind it, the same one he created Baccarat Rouge 540 Eau de Parfum. Sophisticated yet playful, sensual yet fresh, it is still modern. They've reworked it over the years, so if you still remember it from the mid-90s, it's worth a second sniff. Subsequent releases have reduced performance, but the essence of the perfume is still there. Fresh mint is a symbol of strength and characterizes its delicious opening. Ignoring the other aromatic and spicy things, like bitter mugwort and green cardamom, and a touch of powdery bergamot that adds a citrus twist to a freshly spiced start, but my nose picks up a powerful hint of mint.

It may seem like some intense opening, but it settles down pretty quickly. When the heart arrives, a traditional soapy note of lavender, which remains prominent until the end, announces it. The blue flower shares the stage with a sweeter citrus bloom, orange blossom, I bet, and a punch of spices. While I don't take too much of the sweaty cumin, I sense a lot of sweet cinnamon barks.

And then, the coumarins give warmth and tenderness to the dry-down. Both powdered vanilla and toasted tonka are featured and blended with a salty, honeyed amber. The base also features some woods, creamy sandalwood contrasted with a dry cedar. Overall, the amber, woody, and creamy cocktail create an oriental accord. It has a kind of barber vibe but is slightly off the classic fougére shade we're used to. It still retains the combination of vanilla and lavender with a muted spice and the remnants of a strong mint.

The original luxury of Le Mâle made me prefer to wear it in the cold months of late autumn and winter, for the evening or the night. Both the sillage and the longevity were indescribable. They are moderate nowadays, although that won't stop me from keeping Le Mâle in my collection. Clean, woody, and fresh, but with wonderful warmth, this fragrance is incredible! The recent target has changed from clubbing to everyday use. However, it is a delightful scent to revisit from time to time, as it brings back many positive memories. Finally, I have Le Mâle Eau de Toilette on my right wrist and Cuba Gold Eau de Toilette on my left wrist, and they have many points in common.

I base the review on a 75ml bottle I have owned since March 2018.

-Elysium

THE LEGEND CONTINUES
Like the sun is fixed in its place and the rest revolves around it, since 1995, we are still talking and writing LE MALE, and this proves the legendary of this perfume, and it is still at the forefront of the first ranks in the world.

THE DUPES FROM THE FAMILY:

1st : LE MALE LOVE ACTUALLY 99% 2011
2nd: LE MALE PIN-UP 96% 2016
3rd: LE MALE COLLECTOR EDITION 96% 2018
4th: LE MALE LIMITED EDITION 94% 2009
5th: LE MALE EAU DE TOILETTE AIRLINES 90% 2020
6th: ULTRA MALE 88% 2015

MarkoLe
Reformulation is still pretty good
I bought reformulated bottle of Le Male in 2019 and I have to say that it is still pretty good fragrance.

Due to its reletively low cost, synthetic vanilla has been used in this fragrance, which makes the initial opening quite bitter. After half an hour the main notes of this fragrance (mint, lavendel and vanilla) starts to blend - bitterness will disappear and it will be pretty good lavendel-dominant sweet fragrance.

I have no idea why Jean Paul Gaultier advertises it as a "sexy sailor". It rather reminds me more of a sexy barbershop-fougere-like scent that is suitable to wear both in your leisure time and in black tie.

I usually go with six sprays and I will get 8 hours longevity with quite good sillage. It is totally fine to wear in any season.

In conclusion, it is pretty good sweet fragrance with touch of barbershop character.

17N01
On of the best designers
Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier is a timeless classic. Such a beautiful scent. For 1995 this was a very daring new type of masculine perfume and it has since set the standard for other sweet spicy masculine scents out there. I have read some claim this is a nice smelling perfume but not very long lasting. And yes that might be the case for new formulations but if you can get hold of a bottle from 1995-2006 you will see that this scent started out as a beast. Easily 12+ hours of longevity and great projection. One of my all time favorites. Best of the best is original formula which was from 1995-2002, then second formula from 2003- 2006 and then the last third formula that I would use from 2007-2012. After that Le Mâle went really bad in performance and longevity. Third formulation is ok but nothing like 1. or 2. Formulation. One if my all time favorite perfumes. Long live Le Mâle
My very first contact
For me, a giant classic.
Despite reformulation often copied and unmatched. One of the first mass-suitable fragrances.
I may still remember well the nineties.
Le Male was the first real fragrance I became aware of. I knew otherwise only the denim waters and 4711.
My best buddy came over to my place with musterchen. But not so 1.5ml bottlings.
But packed like a Frische Tuchlein.
One tore open in the middle and could take minimal liquid on the finger.
Oh what was that for a feeling, the times for the first time on the skin to smell.
Bombastic. The scent was so special. I still recognize it today among thousands.
Francis Kurkdjian has succeeded in creating a masterpiece.
At that time so unknown and new. Today timeless and a classic
What will you do with a drunken #sailor ? ⛵
Le Mâle, the first masculine fragrance by Jean Paul Gaultier and also one of my first fragrances.
Bought at 16 on French course trip in Paris, the sweet-oriental fragrance has accompanied me for a long time of my life, since I turned the male torso from the silver can and the first spritzes have settled on my skin.
A true classic from which lavender and cinnamon stands out with the light freshness of mint, the woody base is finely rounded off by tonka bean and vanilla.
A sweet powdery fragrance whose bottle I will refill again and again. From my point of view, a true masterpiece of Francis Kurkdjian!
Merim
A flower that only smells for a short time.
Who does not know him? After a long time I have dared and bought him

The scent is very nice, rather sweet, deeper and somehow special, it also does not smell cheap like others.

The bottle and the packaging are just absolutely high quality and ingeniously made.

However, the sillage is simply weak and disappointing in my opinion. After a few minutes, you take him unfortunately no longer perceived, but I used him only in the summer. Maybe he keeps longer in other seasons?

For me personally, rather not a fragrance that I would buy a second time. Eventually I try times the Eau de Parfum variant from.

Conclusion: Beautiful fragrance, with short breath.
OudSillager
The younger brothers can do better
I'm keeping it tight. I am a huge fan of JPG and have tried many fragrances. But honestly, I don't like the original Le male at all. The performance is relatively good, but the scent itself is just bad. I think it smells a bit like cough syrup or some other medicine. I also find it kind of feminine or floral. In my opinion, the worst of the le male series. I find the le male le parfum, around worlds better and its young brother Ultra male, pulls him anyway in each discipline the ears long. For me, unfortunately, really nothing.

Anyone who likes the fragrance but should not worry about the performance and can buy the quiet.
Lavender field in Provence
This is my first review on Parfumo, please forgive me for any mistakes :)

Why Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle? Why did this fragrance in particular deserve my first review on Parfumo?

Apart from being the first designer fragrance I've had the pleasure of calling my own, this one has managed to do something that no single fragrance in my current collection has managed to do.

He evokes images in my mind's eye.

When I apply this fragrance, I am directly at a port in Provence. Expansive ships with oriental spices and herbs I can perceive. Adjacent a lushly blooming, purple lavender field. Omnipresent the fresh sea air that caresses one. I take deep breaths and enjoy.

These are the associations I have when wearing Le Mâle. I absolutely had to share these.

In advance, I must confess that I have by far not such a trained nose, which can smell out the individual ingredients, as some others or others in this community.

Le Mâle starts with a fresh, oriental aroma. At the beginning, the lavender is still in the background. After about an hour, however, this emerges from its shadowy existence and envelops its wearer in an aura that is balm for the soul and draws others under its spell. At the end, after about 7-8 hours, the lavender steps back into the background and something earthy-grassy appears, perhaps the amber?

Le Mâle is certainly not for everyone. But the fragrance does not want that at all. Rather, one must clearly engage with him. If you do this, you will be rewarded with images of Provence, abducted to another place.

Some may disagree, that's fine too. Maybe others will even agree with me?

Anyway, I wanted to make my passion for this fragrance known and who knows, maybe I could inspire one or the other, if he or she is not already addicted to this fragrance experience

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 2 months ago
5.5
Dated. Mint vanilla and lavender are the main notes - if you want a modernised version go for the eau frische versions or reflection man
FuzziKSAFuzziKSA 3 months ago
Memories, memories and memories. Back in the days. Classic in a bottle. Has to be worn outdoors with lots of wind to appreciate such a gem.
VinScentVinScent 4 months ago
Barbershop meets clubbing scent. Reformulation version still great and worth it (I have both vintage and modern). Great perf. Iconic bottle.
KanPerfumeKanPerfume 5 months ago
I love this perfume and my girlfriend likes it very much! It smells like freshness and it can help you project a strong character people around you.
Arman038Arman038 6 months ago
A true classic. I recommend this to every man. Perfect for autumn and early spring. A must own fragrance.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 7 months ago
1996´s version opens with a fresh mint and lavender. Then it sweetens with cinnamon, tonka and vanilla. Powdery, spicy. The base is woody.
JMWeedJMWeed 8 months ago
Comes across as a very dated scent, though the quality is there. I can appreciate it, but it’s not for me.
AdiaAdia 11 months ago
Quite a strong, noticable scent, many people will comment on it. This is not for every day use but rather for nights out & making statemnts.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 1 year ago
I really tried to like this one. Nope, not for me.powdery,outdated,mainstream.respect to creater and company hyping this up so successfully.
StaticStatic 1 year ago
memories and many years later you discover that the nose behind This one ...Francis Kurkdjian 19 years old. This world is heavenly with him

Discussions about Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette)

by Scottie
by DeVitoHH
by DeVitoHH
by Philipp1211
by Philipp1211
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon aus 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
by Linusmart
by Arman038
by Arman038

Popular by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² (2005) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Pin-Up by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier