Le Mâle (1995)Eau de Toilette

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 1995. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Cardamom, Lavender, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesCaraway, Neroli, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.08.2020.

The lonely hull
Tight and unbending he stands there. Nevertheless, the men's torso in our bathroom ekes out a dreary and unnoticed existence, and has been doing so for years! Now and then it gets dusted. But one day I got the urge to smell like a real guy! Gently I took hold of the torso and sprayed myself, not too close. A sweet cloud of scent spread out. I do not feel this scent as oriental at all. For me it smells very medicinal, like cough syrup, which is not even meant to be derogatory. However, there are some scents here that disturb me. I like tarragon on fish, but not in one fragrance! Caraway is okay in sauerkraut, but I can do without it in a perfume. Cardamom and cinnamon are supposed to give the fragrance the oriental direction, but fail miserably. They are mercilessly trumped by a rather musty-smelling duo (lavender and mint). On several occasions I have already noticed that mint can smell not always so fresh but also unpleasantly like cardboard. The base with vanilla and tonka bean makes it sweet, but not necessarily better, cedar makes it even worse.

All in all, a very sweet and confusing fragrance, combining the opposing ingredients in a way I wouldn't necessarily consider very successful at this point. But of course it's all a matter of taste, I'm rather from the conservative camp ;) However, Sillage and durability are really top, as always with fragrances with which one does not get so warm

In any case, my ladies' chypre smells more masculine than " le mâle ". Am I a masculine woman now?

I will probably be content in the future to take the torso in my hand from time to time and dust it off now and then
5.5
Reformulated...
... ...and, unfortunately, completely robbed of his soul. In the 2020 version he is only a shadow of his former self. What was once a gourmand sounding Fougère with a great recognition value is now just a mild breeze of lowest concentration.

The current version acts as a seasonal flanker, just like the former Summer series. Much too diluted, rather EDC concentration, more citric and the performance has become absolutely underground.

But now it comes in a higher quality packaging! Wow! Well, the mainstream customer will fall for it.

That was the last "bottle" I bought from Le Male.

First Fleur du Male gets mashed up and then this! I guess the Gaultier days are over too. Pity...

You can clearly see how the label is spinning on savings. I can no longer recommend it.

Who is looking for a good alternative: RD Scandal , AM Reflection, Ph. Wolff Château Phillip or Alexandria 2
No longer the same
Yesterday I got my 125ml bottle delivered and unfortunately had to find out when spraying on that the perfume unfortunately seems very diluted and no longer has the same bang as a few years ago The scent won't last much longer on my skin either. I guess around 2H, then it's only partially noticeable.
A great pity, I must say.
Cngz95
Date in the autumnal city park
For me, this fragrance has two souls in it. On the one hand the fresh, invigorating mint and on the other hand the spicy, warm cinnamon.

In my opinion, however, the dark, warm side of the cinnamon is much stronger, so that the mint is rather discreetly in the background.

If you are looking for a strong, masculine scent that specializes in pleasing the female world, you will definitely find a good match with Le Male
I see the fragrance in the group of people: Male, between 20 - 40 years, self-confident and charming.
Schmutzfuss
A different kind of silver wedding
Congratulations! Le Mâle and I are celebrating a round anniversary this year: 25 years of mutual contempt.
I don't know what the reason is, but Le Mâle is one of the few fragrances that I feel a heartfelt and profound aversion to.
Shortly after his appearance, many people were already turning the wheel and Le Mâle was suddenly the "hot shit" par excellence. No matter where you met on the weekend, the majority of the guys smelled like the sailor.
I estimate that about 90% of my male friends called Le Mâle their own. I was not one of them I had the opportunity to sniff his newly acquired Le Mâle bottle at a buddy's place and to treat myself to a discreet spray on my wrist. The smell annoyed me right from the start, even 5 minutes later it didn't get better and even less 2 hours later. I could not understand all the hype and fuss about the striped man. The minty scent and the other nuances that were too sweaty for me were not my world. Of course, the scent then became more distinctive and deeper. But still Le Mâle was simply a meaningless disappointment for me. Azzaro was more my thing and the fragrance was also very popular with many other people While I found Azzaro to be a really masculine scent at the time, Le Mâle was simply more of a blender scent for me. He wanted to be more masculine than he was. He was more of a skinny sailor than a real sea dog He wanted to shine with variety, but then he was simply overloaded with various scents.
But I also think that Le Mâle didn't appeal to me because the advertisement with the sailor didn't appeal to me at all and was rather annoying. In addition, my antipathy towards the perfume was probably also due to Jean Paul Gautier himself, whom I - for whatever reason - found totally unappealing and silly. His attitude was always a bit too gay for me. (And I have to emphasize it for safety's sake: I have nothing against gays!)
Maybe that's why I do Le Mâle a little too much wrong. Maybe I'm just the one who's wrong and who simply can't or won't understand the French sea lover.
Nevertheless: Even after 25 years, my leniency in old age is still limited. I was able to get a taste of Le Mâle just under a year ago and I still think: Vive la déception!
First great love...
as a teenager of the 90's you couldn't help but notice the scent. With a broad chest, discovering the world, enjoying freedom at the age of 17, it was important to us to smell good even then. And there was this male bottle in the perfumeries, literally screaming for us. I can still remember the first time, what an incredible opening, what a performance, what a desire to own it immediately. And yes, it was an incredible fragrance for our generation back then, if not THE fragrance. Which with its powerful Sillage fascinated everyone nearby. So we too had to jump on the le male Express. We wanted to smell like the well-trained guys on the posters looked, for us "masculine and strong". That's why almost all of us had him standing in our parents' bathroom
Friday evening, finally a weekend to meet friends, off to the bar, to the disco. Dusted in a cloud of le paint. It was exciting to wear it. From the moment you left the apartment until late into the night, the scent kept coming back to your nose, wonderful. This sweetness, the strength, the woody, cinnamony, it did not let go of us and made us more confident. That's how it should be because we wanted to impress the girls in our group. Comments like "oh what do you smell good again" "who has Jean Paul up here" were a constant companion. With this scent the women's world lies at our feet, at least that's what we expected.

So it went on for a long time, until the scent unfortunately found more and more male carriers, jumping more and more on the ever accelerating train. So it happened with two similarly polarizing scents of his time JPH & DCW that he was less and less considered special and sometimes even seemed to be disturbing and out of place. One had come to terms with him and he was proverbially sprayed....unfortunately.

Despite all this, it was my first self-bought fragrance, my first great love in the perfume world. I still own the bottle with about 5ml content. It has been in my collection for over 20 years and will remain there. I have not worn it for a long time. But as with so many things, I think back with longing to the wonderful time, the freedom we felt and lived then. Exactly then I spray myself once on my wrist and enjoy its scent and revel in memories.

Just as the fragrance was my first, so is this comment - Le paint a fragrance of its time. Tall, masculine, room filling, wonderful...you are and remain with me.

Smells familiar
I have definitely smelled this before.
Just got my sample from fragx and I like it. I will not buy a full bottle of it though as I don't love it. It reminds me of someone who is quite mature but has no uniqueness.
I remember Jeremy said in his video that this would remind others of their ex or father and I completely agree. Even though I can't recall where, I definitely remember this smell from somewhere
Haidanei!
Sodele, since dr ScentPhantom on the weekend and Plattdeitscha comment gschrieba hodd, I think I brobier des au amol in swabian. In order to make it easier for me to understand, I have translated a few tibbic words and phrases into German
I'm thinking LeMale from Gaultier. I think everybody knows him. They even know him at our swim band. When it comes out, everyone uses it and all marinate in it. It was often just a brother and a sister in general. But if we only take a bite of it, then I think it's grandiose. I've seen the guys of the weekend and I think - haidanei - he's really nice and as brotherly as I know. My tip: Just a muggaseggale on the sprayer of the langad. No, he's really celebrating. I think it's a little too much.
It smells a bit like fresh laundry, also a bit woody and with vanilla. That pleases me. Brobierads at beschda itself amol out.

Well, now I think I've lost my mind. I hope you understand me a bit
Translation help:
brudaal - violent, extremely strong (refers to the Sillage)
gloiß bissle - little bit
granadamäßig - Swabian increase, great, super, fantastic (also works negatively if you are annoyed: granadamäßig Scheißdregg)
haidanei - Swabian exclamation: Madness, na something like that
Muggaseggale* - smallest Swabian unit of measurement (e.g. for furniture assembly: Da cabinet no a Muggaseggale still on the left)
Legg mi am Arsch* - Joyful exclamation, for example at a reunion: Legg mi on my ass, how long han i di scho nemme gsea
Schee gwä fir heid - now I'm breaking up, now I'm done, until the next time

*Neither Muggaseggale nor Legg mi on the ass are swear words. When the Swabian swears, he uses a different vocabulary that would not be quotable here.

A forever young mâle
[short review]
Twenty five years went by since Jean Paul Gaultier asked Francis Kurkdjian to design the reference perfume for men that would stand as the foundation of his fragrance offer. JPG took care of the fragrance external clothing and its slick and striped design remains also a reference till today.
In my opinion, Kurkdjian's main quality is to understand customers requisites, either being it a chief fashion designer or somebody lost in a mall trying to elect his perfume of choice. And the task was not easy. It had to be suitable for all seasons and all situations (well... maybe not for the gym or the beach). It had to be a real versatility king. And Kurkdjian did it!

Le Mâle can be used in all seasons and in almost all situations. In my opinion, it excells in the office or in a daily use. It's also perfectly suitable in formal events, a night out, hosting or visiting friends, clubbing... you name it.
It's fresh enough for young people general use due to lavender and mint. It's also sweet, woody and resinous enough to cope with a scent behavior fit for the life after dark, mainly due to a fantastic vanilla note assisted by tonka and cinnamon. Performance is more than adequate, and can even be considered very generous by any standards. My judging refers to the last but one batch.

Some people complain about it being a bit of a "deja vu" perfume. Being a successful fragrance for 25 years now, it would be strange for this not to happen. Quoting Apicius: "We may speak for or against, but we keep on speaking. Market loves it!" Do I use it a lot? Not really! My big four year old 200 ml flask is missing only about 10% of the original juice content, but I don't want to miss Le Mâle in my closet. I do love to remember its scent either by using it from time to time, or by just spraying the back of my hand for some night snifs. I cannot help but notice that its effect on women is quite obvious. All women notice this perfume, and maybe, just maybe, four out of five like it. The remaining one lady out of five loves it.

Barbershop? a bit!... Mainstream? a bit!... Synthetic? a bit!... Recommended? of course!
Le Mâle list of clones or similar scents may be the longest of the perfume industry and confirm the general acceptance of this fragrance. The list may include names as Cuba Gold, 212 Sexy Men, Jacomo Rouge, Luna Rossa Sport, 360º White for Men, Reflection Man, Scotish Man/Cabana, Body Kouros... names comming both from clone makers as well from very well established prime brands.

Golcher
head over heels about this frag
I was late to the Le Male party. I didn't test it until last year and for some still unknown reason even though I loved the opening I wasn't too fond of the dry down. Yeah, I know, what was I thinking?

This is a gorgeous fougere and I just can't get enough of it. I seem to love every flanker of Le Male that comes my way: Ultra Male, Eau Fraiche, Le Male Terrible, Le Beau Male and of course the OG.
Le Male is a masterful blend of lavander, mint, amber and a gorgeous vanilla/tonka that adds some sweetness and creaminess that takes it to a whole new level to a point that 20 years later there are houses still taking hints from Le Male to use in their own creations.

One thing I don't get is why this is rated with an 8.4 longevity, I get 4 hours (if I'm lucky) which would hardly be an 8, I'd give a 4.5 or 5 rating but I guess some people are rating longevity based in old formulations.

All and all Francis Kurkdjian's creation was bold and a trend setter, he created a true classic that granted him a place in the Fragrance Hall of Fame.

JohnnieShoreJohnnieShore 100 days ago
Took me a while to enjoy this one. For outdoor wear. Bitter and sweet at the same time. Masculine but not macho.
HubertGHubertG 162 days ago
masterpiece, recognize it in 2", trendsetter for many years, love the lavender with mint and vanilla together, a must have in the late 90s
AithanAithan 175 days ago
Floral, powdery opening with slight hints of citrus.
Mainly got dry powdery scent at dry-down. Girls' makeup?
Performance is good.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 178 days ago
A true classic that smells good, exciting and new. I still love it. Lavender blast with mint in a base of vanilla and Woods. Masterpiece
AmberScentAmberScent 7 months ago
Even with the risk of other men using it as well, it does mark a personal position, almost an individual stand point. A timeless jewal!
KimJongKimJong 7 months ago
I disagree with the snobbish score, which is currently rated at 7.3. Le Male is actually a great perfume and it's already one history.
KingPinKingPin 10 months ago
3.5
Sweet, soapy, girly, gourmandy. Not for me (or any man imo, which is ironic given the name).
GolcherGolcher 10 months ago
Awesome frag but 8.4 longevity? not a chance, perhaps the old formulation!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 10 months ago
A landmark!
It offers a fresh start that sweetens later with cinnamon, tonka and vanilla, keeping a cedar, sandalwood and amber background.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 18 months ago
Cheap, synthetic bro fragrance. Outdated.

Discussions about Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette)

by Scottie
by Golcher
by GreenC
by GreenC
by Miaw2
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon aus 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte
by Pepper81
by Pepper81

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier