Le Mâle (1995) Eau de Toilette

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design: Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 1995. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Puig.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Cardamom, Lavender, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesCaraway, Neroli, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.07.2019

8.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

The AMG Upgrade
Hmmmmm... Le Male tested a few years ago, but he was a no-go. I really didn't like the mint and a colleague wrapped and wrapped himself regularly with it.
With Reflection Man ''had'' Le Male nothing in common though the direction parallel follows a straight one. Emphasis on "had. The current bottle in my collection has undergone a change.
Two months ago ordered last week the opportunity arose to use him. Here I take a completely different smell was than I the sailors so far in memory had or know. The mint was greatly reduced and Neroli with vanilla raised. After several hours, woods are added to the floral note. Reflection vibes come out and my olfactorius doesn't back down like before...almost a classical conditioning developed with me.
Okay, I have to admit that the spice is very different from Reflection Man, but still the new version is really successful. What really surprised me was the performance and projection. My skin didn't want him to disappear anymore and my shirt smelled like Le Male two meters away. Oha sailor, but they gave you an upgrade that I really like.
With the best will in the world I didn't want to award a 10 but in the current version I have no other choice.
8.0 9.0 8.0 7.5/10

Norleans
It's nineteen-six and ninety-six...
...My girlfriend's gone and tanning
In the South Seas. - Alone?
Yes, my budget was small
Fine! Come in, welcome to the club!

Who should not know the song any more, that is "Yein" from Fettes Brot and still reminds me of the time when only water and Gaultier was left on my skin. This fragrance was then for us young "men" (rather boys) an unprecedented novelty - so sweet, so striking, so unique!
I used at that time (also out of budget shortage) mainly what my father had in the bathroom and that was just... not really "cool". I can't remember when I first came into contact with Le Male, but I was immediately captivated by it. It became my faithful companion in all situations in life - in the discos, the village festivals, the school anyway and actually always when I left the house.

From my historical-olfactory point of view, Le Male has opened the way to metrosexuality, which has become a matter of course for many men today. If you look at the advertising motifs of the campaigns of that time today, you might find them somewhat kitschy and lascivious. But at that time many people found the posing sailors totally gay and so not at all suitable to be shown on advertising posters. And then there's an openly gay living fashion designer!

What most people take for granted today was still taboo back then. If you used more than Nivea cream when you were a teenager, you were a woman - today the cosmetics department for men is almost the size of the women's cosmetics department. In my opinion it was the early 2000s when the name "Metro" came up, David Beckham (cute hairband paired with masculine attitude and the fashionable (forearm) tattoos) was an influential pioneer of the new masculinity with eyebrow plucking, shaved buzzing, comic blow-dry hairstyles and T-shirts with neckline for men. All this is taken for granted today (whether you like it or not is something else).

Why am I digressing like this? Because Le Male was the olfactory big bang for this development. Le Male became so successful that almost every man under 25 in the late 90s smelled of JPG. In the pedestrian zones and clubs there was only this fragrance mark to perceive and I found it great to smell like this!
Francis Kurkdjian, the inventor of Le Male, has long since created his own fragrance empire with his mega success. Amouage and Marly took Le Male for their topseller fragrance bonds, which points to the continuing popularity of fragrance DNA (yes, it used to be DNA and not DNA).

1996: I see Le Male as a milestone in fragrance history, an ingenious, avant-garde fragrance that has influenced an entire generation of boys and men.

2019: I smell Le Male on someone and wonder if they're still listening to tapes of Fettes Brot, Brand New Radicals and Weezer.

I don't want to be too close to today's users of Le Male - this comment merely reflects my associations and experiences.
Thanks for reading
5.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10

Duftomatisch
Anyone who wants to smell like le time in the shower in the morning..
... he goes to DM and buys the vegan shower cream "Mikroalge + Birke" from Seinz for 2,45 EUR the 300ml Pulle.
It only lasts in the shower and not later on the skin, but this is to be expected.

Do you want me to comment on the scent?
Naheee, you all already know him :).
8.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

Outstanding
My father owns an old formulation of this fragrance. Super powerfull. I can still smell him after 6-7 hours when we walks near me. I also gave it a try few times and I got comments from some girls at the 6-7 hour mark after I applied it. Comments like “you smell so manly”. So the vintage formulation is very very potent. I could still smell it on me ever after 12-14 hours (but close to the skin). Even so, the fragrance was very perceptible.
To me, it smells like a combination between something fresh and slightly sweet and that minty vibe makes it so manly and attractive. Very very strong opennig. Try it out first. I kinda like it but I am using only 2 squirts. Maybe 3 if I need to go to the club or somethin’ . The dry down it’s heaven ! Simply gorgeous.
I don’t know about the reformulation, but this one, the old “le male” it’s a beast. Ultra male it’s just a crying baby in front of his father (which is le male). Ultra male is way behind this one, if you ask me. Try it out first. Not safe for blind buy.
I heard that the new formulation sucks. And it stays on the skin only around 4-5 hours.
This one is simply a masterpiece for me.

Overal rating 8/10
6.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

ScentPhantom
The grenade from the can
That smell passed me by. After more than twenty years, I discovered him
Mainstream! - The bad word in this community comes before Dupe.

Cute! - My bad word for scents, in the old days at least.

I already had 'cabana', which is supposed to be similar, it was cute. So the body scents with and from 'Le Male', which I want to achieve, shouldn't be much different. Let's get cute!

I have looked at the 'Dangerous Part' for the first time.

The packaging in the can, lifts it off already sometimes (Gab or gives it still for underwear.). Pulling the fuse off the spray head has something of the arming of a hand grenade. A warning: Now there is no way back.

Everything has already been written about the nuances, effects, etc. of this fragrance.

Some like him. Some people's lives would seem pointless without this scent.

Others were taken and/or destroyed with the appearance of this fragrance, their happiness of life.

Community tips and reviews are helpful. In the end I walk around with this scent and have to decide for myself .....

A closer and longer test, 'Le Male' was definitely worth it to me.

The course over the spices and herbs, up to amber, vanilla and cedar is ingenious. Very finely tuned. Someone really thought about this and then converted it into a result.

It has become a successful fragrance, what better can happen to the supplier?

Mainstream, does not have to be a flaw.

I like to wear it. Now and then, anyway.
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

A masterpiece!
I have been wearing the fragrance regularly for about 15 years. It's the fragrance that gives me by far the most compliments.
It looks fresh and sexy.

I love him. I love him.

The "fuck me" scent
Sorry about the title, but I have to get you guys to read it. :-)

As already with my first comment to Bruno Banani Woman I write that here from view of a completely normal type age 85 of the middle of the 2000s on many parties was on the way. I'm not a perfume expert but just describe my experiences.

Le Male was like the Holy Grail back then... no matter who or where you asked for perfume, the answer was Le Male.
Personally, I never really liked Le Male that much. He's okay, but he never knocked me out. I preferred to wear Acqua di Gio, Boss Bottled and especially the new Armani Code.
Finally I used Le Male on the weekend, when I went on the piste.

But why?
Because I still don't know any perfume that has caused such reactions in girls like Le Male :-)
I don't know what they mixed in there, but the girls fell into ecstasy when an already attractive guy smelled it. And that's not hearsay or any fairy tales from the internet, no I saw it with my own eyes and heard it.
"You smell so horny" "Your buddy smells so horny" one heard constantly... saw girls hugging a guy and kissing wildly two seconds later... i'll go later and ask, are you wearing Le Male? He just yeah sure...

So as said no idea what it has with this fragrance onsich since I do not find him himself soooo great but he has caused by far the most blatant reactions with the girls :-)
Whether this is still the case today, I don't know, I haven't bought it for ages.
I suspect, however, that it smelled different/better in the middle of the 2000s and was more intense than the version available today.

Peace :-)
10.0 9.0 6.0 7.5/10

The skin does it
Jean Paul Gautier Le Male: It is one of the most successful fragrances and probably one with the bottle that knows how to polarise. It is certainly also thanks to him that he was able to celebrate such a success and is still able to do so today.
For me, Le Male is a piece of childhood. As someone who was born in 1995 and whose father discovered this fragrance quite early, one simply knows him. It somehow belongs to the appearance of such a close relative. He certainly went through a lot of reformulations over time, but somehow he still smells the same on my father - soft and creamy, as soon as the really concise top note gives way a little. It's exactly this soft and creamy that doesn't show up on my skin. So how does the classic express itself with me?

The opening is very loud and almost exhausting for me. Tarragon and mint and cardamom are what I perceive most on my skin. This is all quite spicy, but not overwhelming if the dosage is correct, which is probably due to the mint and bergamot. So everything still in the green area.
As soon as the heart note emerges, which by the way takes a little time, the caraway takes a dominant position. Cinnamon is also perceptible, but rather in the background and only with a concentrated smell. However, I have never noticed this strong caraway note so much in my father's case. She dominates me and I don't like that very much. Here it becomes obvious how different scents unfold on different skins.
By adding the base note, the caraway is somewhat limited, but in my case not yet enough. The tonka bean comes along with a certain sweetness, but the creamy thing I hear from my father just doesn't want to come right down to me. The caraway always speaks up loudly, but the woods present in the base note hardly do this somehow - very unfortunate.

Conclusion: Unfortunately, Le Male does not offer the fragrance on my skin that I have otherwise learned to appreciate so much over the years. The softness is simply missing and in addition the durability is not really pronounced with me. But the Sillage over the period, in which the smell clings to one, is not really from bad parents.

So here we have a fragrance which is not bad, which is more wearable due to the hype about Sauvage, Aventus and Co., but which doesn't really smell good on me. Well... happens.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Le Male: Relaxation, 90s, past and time travel
I've known Le Male since 1995 and I love many fragrances that have been released this year. For example, there is the beautifully cultivated smelling Indian Summer by Presley or the sweet spicy Dolce Vita by Dior. I'm lucky 3 different. Vintage versions of the Le Male´s. One even from the year 1997 with almost not tilted note!

I spray the Vintage on you, so that you can make yourselves a picture of the anyway well-known smell: Zisch!
Immediately I smell only benzoin, possibly some heliotrope, (bitter) almond, cumin and possibly a slightly (hidden) floral note, which surely comes from lavender.

Please consider that my vintage scent has over 21 years on the hump and for these 2 decades still smells good and impeccably. It smells of the 90s, where many men scored with this fragrance in ladies. Even some women used the fragrance for themselves, despite the male bottle. Le Male wasn't just a scent, it was relaxation, this relaxed what made this Dfut so special and seductive.

While Joop Homme (also vintage) at first fruity deep dark like cherry, turned into a heliotropic Sillagemonster and ended with (smoky) tobacco, Le Male at the end smelled powdery, vanilla, heliotropically slightly sweaty and clearly more beautiful in the fragrance than the red Joop.

Some time ago, I sprayed Le Male on myself and was a little mad: Clearly fresher (especially the mint and the lavender stand out) than my ancient version. Although the current Le Male also goes in the direction of the Vintage´s but much more diluted, not expressive enough. While Le Male was then declared as winter and autumn scent, it can also be worn on a summer day, as it no longer projects with the "sultry" and "heavy". My vintage will last for days with only a few sprayers on the garment, even the sprayed hand will be noticeable for many hours despite hand washing, which speaks for quality for me. Sillage is monstrous if you're not careful!

The women's version was even worse hit in the torso: The Classique is only a shadow of itself. From the once sweet flowery oriental fragrance, a "flushed" orange blossom combination with a little amber, the once mighty heavy women's fragrance gives way to what you can also tell from the light liquid. Vintage Classique´s are deep red in the liquid. The current pale pink, very bright.

One can argue about whether reformulations are good or bad. I remain of the opinion that reformulations, perfume masterpieces change a lot, distort and are therefore hardly recognizable for the user
8.0 5.0 5.0 7.5/10

Old school still great
But where did the longevity go? Don’t get me wrong; the drydown is the BEST PART of this fragrance, it just seems like it doesn’t project very well after 2-3 hours.

Still an epic scent, just needs some spinach for the sailor man.
10.0 9.0 9.0 8.0/10

Galahad
A piece of childhood that I can now bear myself
I associate the scent immensely with childhood memories ...
The father of my best friend at that time wore the fragrance already in the mid 90s, when the fragrance was still a novelty. Whenever I spent the night with my friend, the whole bathroom smelled like JPG LM in the morning and even then I liked the smell, it smelled so incredibly mature, masculine and ripe. When I started to get excited about fragrances I was not yet at the Le Male stand myself, although I sprayed it on every now and then when I was on a foray through the perfumeries.
On Black Friday the time had come - the always torn classic was so cheap, that I just hit it without thinking much. And I haven't regretted it since. It may be reformulated and weaker, but for me it still smells just like it did in childhood, with the only difference that I now feel mature enough to carry out the scent myself.
In my opinion it takes a lot of charisma and self-confidence to wear Le Male, otherwise the wearer and the fragrance are very different. The striped torso remains a super faithful companion throughout the day, as I have hardly experienced it with any scent before. More than 10h durability with a strong but not exaggerated silage is possible, especially in cold weather. And exactly in this season the sailor also belongs - I would not apply him over 10-15 degrees, then he becomes too pompous. But if it's autumnal or wintery, Le Male illuminates the surroundings with a fresh spice, which in my opinion is truly unique in the fragrance DNA.
To sum up, Le Male has absolutely rightly acquired legendary status, as the fragrance is still omnipresent on the shoulders despite having been there for 23 years. And I don't mean that in a pejorative way. The reason for his success story lies beside the ingenious marketing, whose biggest Clou probably is the bottle, also in the unique composition of the smell from the hands of a master of the guild.
Meanwhile also the Essence and the youthful brother, the Ultra Male, have moved into the showcase. For more official occasions with noble threads I would choose Essence, if you want to remain discreet, if you seek attention, then the founding father. To jeans, speaker and T-shirt gladly the Ultra-Male. All three fragrances are recommended between the end of September and mid-April, as they are too pompous, heavy and too spicy or sweet for the summer months.
A milestone in perfume history!

Well, I've READ all 122 comments now(!),
and the only ones that are really helpful where are the lion's heart and the positron's. My opinion.

And because of that there is something more to add, that the Malle is as similar as Joop Homme in its style and appearance. So much should be clear to everyone, but I get already again into the chat...

Whew! Many of the users have Le Male, but do they use it too? That's the question here.
Almost a thousand people, but 12 want to sell too, that says a lot, doesn't it? But everybody has to make his own picture, there man can't determine anything (pun, me again...)

A lot of people say women, my ass. But women, who are really into it, are usually not that good at all, and some of them just say, uhh, you smell good, and actually just want to talk and then talk to one quite simply to come in conversation, nothing more and nothing less.

Le Male, with a hat on top. Ha HA!

HELLO! EVERYONE, J E - D E R knows how Le Male smells!

Topic can be closed.
9.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

AmberScent
The absolute fragrance for an adult man
It is not easy for me to decide whether or not to make a review on "Le Male".
I think that this is a fragrance that every perfume lover or collector knows and owns at least 1 bottle in a lifetime. There must be hundreds of stated opinions about this fragrance. What more can I discover and add as a useful opinion?
Le Male is an oriental and sweet fougère having, as predominant scent, one of the following notes or combinations of them: moss, lavender, bergamot, geranium and coumarin. Bergamot, oakmoss and lavender are virtually essential for a good fougère. The fragrance oriental side of "Le Male" demands notes such as amber, vanilla, cinnamon, sandalwood and sometimes oud (not in this case). This is a masculine and intense perfume and there is no other way to understand it.
Although not a novelty any longer, it's a modern fragrance. On top of it, it's sexy, alluring and makes you feel comfortable if you are a mature male over 25. This perfume does not really fit well to male teenagers, and most of them don't feel at ease either wearing or smelling it. It's scent also does not appeal to young girls. It's really a fragrance to be used by adult men and to please adult women (or other adult men).

Its environment is any night event, being it either a club, a fancy dinner, a group gathering, a romantic date or intimacy. Even with the risk of other men using it as well, it does mark a personal position, almost an individual stand point.
As with any night fragrance, just forget about using it in warm days or hot weather due to its sweetness and persistance. You may incur in the risk of becoming annoying with a cloying radius around you.

As strong accords I would like to mention the opening lavender and mint, the heart neroli and cinnamon and the bottom tonka, vanilla and woods. The quite long drydown mainly reveals the bottom notes in an ambery frame. It is notably persistent on skin ensuring a longevity of at least 10 to 12 hours. The sillage is also respectable with a peak at six feet and almost three hours of strong projection.
Of course that such a quality fragrance has many followers (the gentle name for clones). There are some similar fragrances on the market, namely Cuba Gold (nice and cheap), 212 Sexy Men (very nice and with a similar price), Jacomo Rouge (nice and cheap), Prada Luna Rossa Sport (very nice and with a similar price), Perry Elis 360º White for Men (nice and cheap), and many others. Nevertheless "Le Male" sustains its uniqueness in quality, blending and performance, besides its very good looking and still innovative bottle, identifying its wearer on his skin and on his shelf.
I do have an almost unused Cuba Gold cigar bottle - with a cheap price that became expensive as I don't use it - and already tried all the clones I mentioned.
However I do own three bottles of "Le Male" (200ml, 125 ml and 40 ml), besides three of its flankers. If you still have not tried it, just skip the test and buy a flask!

Keep your scent high!

hrrrr...
...i love this fragrance...or was it perhaps the man who wore it.no matter...for me one of the most beautiful fragrances ever.a subtle mixture of clean and super sexy.also the sillage is remarkable.you can still perceive it the next day.unfortunately it has been used by many gentlemen in recent years and unfortunately it also does not suit everyone...
10.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

Brightstar
Signature Sweet Musky Fragrance for Men (9.375/10)
Sweet musky scent. The combination is quite strong on the top notes. When it come to middle notes, the scent is more relaxing and project the masculinity to the wearer until the base notes.

The hold of the scent is superb.
For non 4-seasons countries, it is suitable for anytime. The longevity can hold more than 8 hours.
For the 4-seasons countries, the longevity is better and longer which may can long-last to 9-10 hours.

Performance
The performance is superb. When spray the fragrance, the scent project immediately. From the top notes until the base notes, the performance is awesome.

No doubt on JPG Le Male sillage. Many people will give a compliment on it.

Uniqueness
The other factor that the JPG Le Male has its own advantage. The uniqueness of this fragrance is a perfect blend of sweet and musky plus the well-known bottle.

Bottle Design
The bottle has its own identity. There are over than 40 collection of the bottles of the JPG Le Male to be collect as a personal collection. The signature bottle design of JPG Le Male is the one and only.
6.0 9.0 9.0 7.5/10

Retro-Futuristic Late 20th Century Fougere
Scentrack: Skee-Lo – I Wish

Le Male opens with a short shot of bergamot and mint, followed by synthetic lavender reminiscent of classic fougere fragrances. The lavender is complemented by strong cinnamon note and almost dirty white flowers of orange blossom and jasmine. I like this dirty and strong powdery aspect of Le Male reminding me steamed bathrooms and present musky old school barbershop vibe. This clean / dirty combo is ingenious. To its base Le Male becomes sweeter by enhanced artificial vanilla, Tonka bean and sandalwood notes. The whole composition is very synthetic, but in a good way. Like some late 20th century retro vision of the future.

Rating: 7.5/10

More on Scentimentalwords
7.0 8.0 9.0 7.5/10

True love
No wonder this one is a CLASSIC!!!

Outstanding performance, and marvelous scent.
Lasts from 8am to 5pm on my skin. Sillage is great.

I don't know a girl or guy who dislike this smell, it's really good, and even a nice blind buy if you're thinking about it.

Give it a shot!
It will become one of your favorites, like everyone else! : )
10.0/10

Grehn
one of the best fragrances ever made!
this is an Amazing fragrance!, it has a very nice projection and longevity.
if you like sweet fragrances this is "a must have". very nice combination of vanilla,mint.
i cant give this fragrance any other than a 100%!, this fragrance never gets old, its 18 years since it was introduced on the market, so i guess you can call this a Classic and an oldie but a Goldie!
10.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Classic
There's nothing left to say about this wonderful scent.

Classic and timeless, definetely a must have for any fragrance lover.

A wonderful mix of lavender, vanilla and tonka bean (mainly) that lingers for a long time in your skin. Thumbs up!

Updated January 2014
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Sweet in a masculine and totally acceptable way
I can't say the word wonderful enough when it comes to describing this amazing Jean Paul Gaultier creation.

I don't know where these so-called 'homosexual' and 'metrosexual' terminologies come from. I'm not one for throwing a fragrance into a particular category, Le Male can be either masculine or sweet with a feministic touch, it all depends on how you interpret the scent.

Because vanilla and musk are dominant notes in this fragrance, I can see why some men might think that this lacks masculinity. Let me assure you that when worn by the right man this has all the potential to make me swoon.

Le Male is sweet yet refreshing at the same time. Some have noted an almost soapy and powdery quality, which is certainly there, however I quite like it. I particularly love that for a fragrance which is so popular, it is so unique, one of a kind.

The lasting strength, is honestly, out of this world. It has the ability to last and last. I must add that I rather like the bottle. I like its bold and straight-forward design. It's beyond me to understand why someone would be ashamed of displaying it.

JoaoMartins 162 days ago
Cheap, synthetic bro fragrance. Outdated.+2
3.0
Elqwerty 8 months ago
After all the comments I decides to give this perfume a try... I did not get why this is so popular. I get a really soapy-sweet smell.+2
5.5
Brightstar 19 months ago
signature.
must have fragrance.
nice smell.
nice bottle.+2
Elysium 2 years ago
Oh yeah, one of the best "gay" declaration! So flowery, powdery, spicy, sweet and strong, Le Mâle was more audacious than most men’s scents!+4
PMRP12 2 years ago
A minty-fresh, powdery punch in the face that turns into a warm, vanilla amber hug lasting all day long.+2
Hermesh 3 years ago
There is a possibility for every scent, even if it’s interesting and fancy, to be “ridden to death” (or, to be more precise: “smelled to death”).
10.0

Discussions about Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette)

by Thizhy
by Stardust
by GreenC
by GreenC
by Miaw2
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon aus 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002