Le Mâle 1995Eau de Toilette

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Jean Paul Gaultier
Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 1995. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Viride

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Cardamom, Lavender, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesCaraway, Neroli, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 13.04.2021.

Classic Scent
An all-time classic and one of my first real fragrances. I think it was the bottle that drew me to this initially, but the scent is why I continue to rebuy. I smell a powdery floral lavender and vanilla, with an aire of spice and mint. It has great longevity and projection.
First great love
So, I write my first comment here at Profumo. And what fragrance would be more appropriate than my first great love?
Fragrances have always fascinated me somehow. As a teenager, I have tried me through half the drugstore assortment of fragrances, had fragrances from s.Oliver to Playboy to James Bond. Here and there were quite nice things in it, but so one hundred percent had convinced me yet none.
2014, with 17 years, it was then so far. I bought me the first "good". It was the last day of my very last summer vacation. I was out with my parents, shopping and afterwards again eat nice. I was drawn to the store with the big D, and there it was. I had always liked the bottle, hardly any of them catches the eye so much. Again quickly tested, found good and bought. Before dinner, I sprayed the fragrance directly in the car. That was love. A love that lasts until today.
I have always perceived Le Male as pleasantly (but not too) sweet, spicy and slightly tart. At the time, it was a good way to wean myself off the all-encompassing 1 Million (which has since snuck into my small collection after all).
I have subsequently worn him for just under half a year every day, have smelled me almost dead on him. Meanwhile, I wear him therefore only rarely. I just recently re-purchased it and put it on for this comment.
What can I say It is and remains my first great love, the first "good one", the first one that fully convinced me at the time. Quasi my final entry into the world of fragrances. It MUST always be there, whether I wear it or not. I just love him.
My old racehorse
This fragrance has served me for several years and I was completely satisfied.however, this fragrance was for me the all-rounder instead of classically a clubbing or date fragrance. In these years, he has brought me many very positive compliments. At the first spray, a freshness permeates through which, however, evaporates within the first half hour. Then all that's left is.... the sweet vanilla.... and that lasts very long and in a pleasant way. Absolutely worth the money, but for me too long in possession and worn too often and too many people recognize it directly. I have nevertheless remained faithful to the house. The fragrance has now been replaced by the Ultra Male, which has everything the regular JPG has + that unique strong pear note.

The Scent of Me
Oh, Le Male... One of the most recognizable bottles and unique scents ever created. I've been wearing this fragrance for upwards of a decade and don't see myself quitting any time soon.

My journey to Le Male is quite complicated. Before I wore this, I went through a short stint during middle school of Calvin Klein Eternity and Obsession. I liked both, but I preferred Obsession's balsamic cinnamon edge. I loved Obsession, and most everyone else loved it, except for one girl who said it smelled like old man. That did it for me; once my bottle of Obsession was used up, I started searching for a fragrance that I liked near as much that wouldn't give off any 'old man' vibe. As luck would have it, Le Male would be the first fragrance I picked up. I've always known about Le Male--mainly by its polarizing bottle and provocative ad campaigns, but had no idea what it smelled like. I was very impressed by the scent. For once, it wasn't some banal aquatic. It was fresh, yet spicy and youthful. I finally found a workable Obsession replacement.

I would describe this scent as a vanilla candle seasoned with mint, lavender, white florals, and Indian spices. Some powdery woody notes round the fragrance out. Out of all the fragrances I've smelled, this is the only fragrances that I can smell specific things specified in the scent pyramid. Although, the thing I would say Le Male smells like the most, would be Moroccan oil; my mom would use that oil, and while I always thought it it had a soft scent, I didn't think it was particularly feminine-smelling. Interestingly enough, a men's fragrance that exists that smells just like the aforementioned oil--Le Male.

There has been lots of talk on the forums about reformulations, and changes in projection. While I haven't smelled versions prior to 2010, I have tried two of the most recent ones--BPI and Puig. I had two BPI bottles and a Puig. The first two BPI bottles were about the same--smelled great, very spicy and decent longevity. I wouldn't say my BPI bottles were nuclear bombs of scent, and sillage was soft. My newer Puig bottle *may* be slightly less spicy and more on the fresh side, but still uniquely Le Male. Longevity is fantastic and I can still smell it wafting around me even 12 hours after application. It lasts eternity on fabric. I put a medium spray below each ear, and a small spray on each wrist, crook of the arm, and a nice big blast on the chest.

All the feedback that I have received on this fragrance has been overwhelmingly positive. I've had guys casually asking me what I'm wearing, girls saying I smell like devilishly sexy talc, and the like.

Le Male is my signiature scent during the more mild days of the cooler seasons and at night during the warmer seasons. Because it ventures cool and fresh, and woody and spicy, I believe it fits the following times in which I choose to apply this fragrance.
Due to Le Male's seductive, fresh, and carefree nature, I think anyone under 40 could pull this off; any older than 40, you'd have to be clean-cut and fine-featured like Tom Cruise, Mario Lopez, Jensen Ackles, or Brad Pitt when clean-shaven to pull this one off. This is not a scent that your bald father with a beer belly, that wears Tommy Bahama button-up shirts, cargo shrots and crocs, could pull off.

Le Male is one fragrance I highly suggest trying out if you're into really polarizing and iconic scents. It might not being everyone's cup of tea in the fragrance community, but it sure is a pleasant one to throw on before going out.

Jannik200999
The success proves him right...
Even if actually everything about this fragrance was already written and philosophized what there is to write and philosophize, I still want to give my two cents
I have no personal relationship/memory with this fragrance and am completely neutral in my approach. In fact, I recently smelled this fragrance for the first time (consciously).

First, the most obvious: the bottle. The blue, masculine torso is now cult and has a lot of appeal because of it. He simply has legend status, there is nothing more to say.

The fragrance itself has surprised me. Here he was yes often "called that sweetest ever". Of course, he has a continuous sweetness, but this I do not feel as unpleasant or exaggerated.
Immediately after application, a gentle, calm lavender spreads quite clearly. It is massively different from other lavender notes that I have smelled so far.
In Tom Ford's Beau de Jour, it's more pungent, warmer, greener.
Possibly more synthetic ingredients were used in Le Male, but that doesn't have to be worse in my eyes - as long as it's done well.
Other strong players in the top note are the mint and cardamom.
The transition to the heart and base notes runs smoothly, here then the tonka bean, vanilla and sandalwood push forward and mix with the aromas of the top note. Thus, despite the heavy notes, a certain freshness remains.

The durability is in the upper range. With a few sprays one comes well over the day, on textiles he is perceptible several days.
The sillage is also very satisfactory, only after 4-5 hours, he is slowly close to the skin with me.

You might not be an outlier when wearing this fragrance, but the DNA is just heavenly and performs beautifully. It is versatile, not very expensive and goes down well with the community.

Le Male was, is and remains a safe bank.
4ajbukoshka
"Out of the Dark - Into the Light" - or: The problem is the wearer, not the scent!
So my third comment will now become a matter of the heart.
Everybody knows what Jean Paul Gaultier's definition of masculinity smells like, so I'm not going to try to unravel the pyramid in my amateurish manner.
No. My heart bleeds after reading the comments here, several of them saying you can smell the "penetrating petrochemistry" (Ashton) of the "asshole brother" with the beautiful sister (Dutchi) mainly in the "village disco" (MartinGE).
There. You can argue about tastes. As you can see very clearly here: It leads nowhere.
Some hate him, some love him. Others have a kind of love-hate relationship.
I'm joining the latter group.
What I hate about that smell:
The carriers who think there is no tomorrow and therefore they have to empty their full bottle today - the one with 200ml capacity.
The wearers who wear the scent, hoping to drop any panties with it, whether it suits them or not.
What I love about the smell:
Him!
(My comment, by the way, refers to the or a 2016 version, which won't run out of ink so quickly, because I use it sparingly and have a dupe at home in addition to it)

He must have met me for the first time when I was a child, because when I heard him a few years ago on a man around 25 and was blown away, I also had to think of a somewhat older relative.
Well. So I smelled this perfume on a man, bald, with a well-groomed, short beard, strong, with broad shoulders, freckles and blue-grey eyes.
He, the man, would never have caught my attention if I hadn't noticed this scent in the crowd I came very close to him, had bumped into him by mistake or was pushed in his direction. Nevertheless, the man remained very polite and showed me with a gesture of his hand that my stammered apology was not really necessary. This man there, who smelled so outrageously good, had no distinctive male or rough voice, he looked like over 30 already in his mid-twenties, but his voice sounds to this day (yes: we are friends to this day) as if you had a boy in front of you.
The contrast is for me what the perfume the man was wearing also represents: "Le Mâle" is strong - spicy - and soft - gentle and creamy - at the same time, sweet but also fresh, it is different from a not to be despised part of its wearers not chubby, although it has a very high self-confidence.
"I am ready because it is time for our pact of eternity." (Falco - no, not a perfume user, THE Falco, for me as much a genius as the one to whom "Le Mâle" is owed)
For me, a life without "Le Mâle" was, is and remains possible, but not desirable. I don't want to be without him and I won't let anything or anyone spoil the joy I get from him
I love the sailor, not necessarily the way he looks (here we are back to the proll) and if I had never bought him or even tested him, I would have noticed him through the advertising, but I love, appreciate and adore him - so much so that I not only use him for me at home as a pillow and room scent, but also wear him myself, much to the delight of my girlfriends. I use one sprayer, two at the most. This is enough to get me through the day.
The sailor may stand for masculinity, but in times of emancipation and blurring gender boundaries, I take the liberty of claiming this treasure for myself
KevinGrey
To feel good at home all right
The much praised, much admired and often overrated Le Male.
Many have the hottest memories of it. Others can't stand it anymore, or never have.

I don't associate anything with it. But after so many personal stories I heard about it, I wanted to dare to make my own impression on you My first test was a bit behind already. I must have caught a bad batch or a tipped tester. It only smelled like toilet cleanser to me! I know the Polish Dupe Scotish from La Rive and I like it a lot. So I could not really believe the result.

Now here a new test:

It opens fresh and fruity, unexpectedly little oriental and with relatively weak silage.

After 1.5 hours it has become fruity and oriental and a little bit gourmand. But there are also some synthetic-looking woody notes. Very versatile, then.
The silage is now good.

Compared to the Scotish it is softer, more discreet and also rounder. But it still shows me that La Rive hit it quite well.

I like it a lot, but I still wouldn't wear it to a party. It has a synthetic sweetness that's not good for my taste. There are other party scents that have this note as well, but it suits them better.....
It also doesn't convey the character I want to project. He's too Oriental for that. A little smoke and leather, it'd make a difference.
Nevertheless the scent itself is absolutely cool! For at home to make comfortable it is also for me very well suitable, like the Scotish, which I use long ago for it. With the Scotish I feel the same way. I would prefer this one from the scent, but the Scotish also does it when money is tight.
Alltime Classic
I believe a fragrance that everyone likes or loves in some way. Has been around for a few years but is still an amazing part. I own the Ultra Male myself but le Male is just a board. Day or night, sports or office, pizza or cocktail. Shower, the male on it and off you go. Worth every penny, even after all these years
A fragrance for eternity
Le Male, I can still remember it well, I wore in the vocational school.
A schoolmate said to me, someone here smells like my father :-)

And I must say, that perfume is an evergreen. Should be in every collection. I love the bottle. It's extravagant and it looks good
The scent, yes, we know it. Even if I haven't smelled Le Male for years and someone wears it, you know it. DMA is unique and really often copied
If you don't know him yet... try him out
Grandiose opening, later disappointing
Probably almost everyone knows this scent. It was also for me a beginner for my interest in perfumes.

In the opening he is simply great. The individual nuances are coordinated in a grandiose collaboration. The light sweetness in combination with the floral note of lavender and the minty and spicy notes are simply dreamlike.

But as the top notes fade, the fragrance develops in a different direction. Some people like it, but unfortunately in this case I don't. The sweetness of the scent is suddenly gone. The vanilla and tonka bean are only limitedly perceptible, as the caraway note stands out a bit too much, at least for me. The fragrance takes on a very spicy, woody character, which I definitely don't like.

In a nutshell: Great opening, later on too mealy.

Still, I think the smell is pretty good. Just for the opening lıhnt it is for me alone to acquire this scent.

The Sillage, as well as the durability are also great

JayNayJayNay 26 days ago
When this frag came on the market is went off like a rocket. I liked it then, in my younger days. My 2nd bottle I gave away. Shouter stuff.
EstbienlaEstbienla 3 months ago
Before the 2005s, it was an exceptional perfume, but after it became more synthetic, less deep, bad when drying before 2010 (10/10) after...
IondeIonde 8 months ago
(Early 2000's batch) Remains a timeless choice for a young man out for the evening/club, not so common as Eros nowadays.
Amine1989Amine1989 8 months ago
I'm in love with it , the vanilla is so nice they did a excellent job that why its so famous
JohnnieShoreJohnnieShore 12 months ago
Took me a while to enjoy this one. For outdoor wear. Bitter and sweet at the same time. Masculine but not macho.
HubertGHubertG 1 year ago
masterpiece, recognize it in 2", trendsetter for many years, love the lavender with mint and vanilla together, a must have in the late 90s
AithanAithan 1 year ago
Floral, powdery opening with slight hints of citrus.
Mainly got dry powdery scent at dry-down. Girls' makeup?
Performance is good.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
A true classic that smells good, exciting and new. I still love it. Lavender blast with mint in a base of vanilla and Woods. Masterpiece
AmberScentAmberScent 1 year ago
Even with the risk of other men using it as well, it does mark a personal position, almost an individual stand point. A timeless jewal!
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
I disagree with the snobbish score, which is currently rated at 7.3. Le Male is actually a great perfume and it's already one history.

Discussions about Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette)

by Scottie
by GreenC
by DeVitoHH
by DeVitoHH
by Miaw2
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon aus 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte
by Pepper81
by Pepper81
by Linusmart
by Linusmart

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier