Le Mâle 1995Eau de Toilette

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design Jean Paul Gaultier
Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 1995. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Puig. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Cardamom, Lavender, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesCaraway, Neroli, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.10.2020.

Alltime Classic
I believe a fragrance that everyone likes or loves in some way. Has been around for a few years but is still an amazing part. I own the Ultra Male myself but le Male is just a board. Day or night, sports or office, pizza or cocktail. Shower, the male on it and off you go. Worth every penny, even after all these years
A fragrance for eternity
Le Male, I can still remember it well, I wore in the vocational school.
A schoolmate said to me, someone here smells like my father :-)

And I must say, that perfume is an evergreen. Should be in every collection. I love the bottle. It's extravagant and it looks good
The scent, yes, we know it. Even if I haven't smelled Le Male for years and someone wears it, you know it. DMA is unique and really often copied
If you don't know him yet... try him out
Grandiose opening, later disappointing
Probably almost everyone knows this scent. It was also for me a beginner for my interest in perfumes.

In the opening he is simply great. The individual nuances are coordinated in a grandiose collaboration. The light sweetness in combination with the floral note of lavender and the minty and spicy notes are simply dreamlike.

But as the top notes fade, the fragrance develops in a different direction. Some people like it, but unfortunately in this case I don't. The sweetness of the scent is suddenly gone. The vanilla and tonka bean are only limitedly perceptible, as the caraway note stands out a bit too much, at least for me. The fragrance takes on a very spicy, woody character, which I definitely don't like.

In a nutshell: Great opening, later on too mealy.

Still, I think the smell is pretty good. Just for the opening lıhnt it is for me alone to acquire this scent.

The Sillage, as well as the durability are also great
A special encounter
2001 was exactly the year I first met Le Male. At that time I was still a young savage and infected by the techno scene at that time. Schranz, Techno with 140bpm was the motto and I was out and about every weekend at some party. Dj Rush, Sven Väth and Chris Liebing were my heroes of the night. Armed with a neoprene jacket, bell-bottoms by Freeman T Porter and platform shoes by Swear, I danced through the nights until I was absolutely exhausted. Driven by the machine monotony and tens of liters of Red Bull and Storm caffeine water, it was always like a journey into another world. I can still remember the night it happened. It was back then in a club near here called Beatklink. It had two floors of house and techno. At that time I was there with my whole clique and we had a great evening. After a few hours, sweaty and tired from dancing, we decided to go to the Chillout Area to get some new energy. We all went out of the floor one after the other and in front of me a guy was walking. There it happened! A sweet slightly fresh cloud came towards me like I had never smelled it before. Totally confused, I let the scent sink in amidst the honeycombed bass and black light... Never before had I had such a strong and memorable impression of a perfume, except perhaps Fahrenheit of my stepfather... This encounter there, however, was many times stronger and more sensual than I was used to. When the guy in front of me had disappeared, the impression of Le Male remained for quite a while, and I wondered what it was that smelled so horny there. So I had internalized this scent and always kept it in mind. It must have been about a year or so later when I had a second encounter with the scent. A good friend of mine had Le Male on it at that time and then it had happened again around me. Through him I learned the name of the fragrance and it didn't take long until I had it. Since then Le Male accompanied me until the day I discovered Acqua Di Giò, which replaced Le Male. Nevertheless, since then I had him every now and then when I was up for him. Since then, I always associate Le Male with my wild time and have experienced many wonderful moments with him. Le Male is simply a work of art. This scent simply polarizes, so that one recognizes him blindly among hundreds of scents. I assume that everyone here knows how the piece smells and spare me a detailed description of the scent process. I can imagine that there are many people out there and also here on Parfumo who, like me, associate a lot with this scent?! How was that with you? Where did you first encounter the fragrance and what kind of experiences do you associate with it? You are welcome to write under my comment, I would be happy to read from you
The safe haven
My absolute favourite scent to which I always return when everything else is annoying!
In recent years, although it has become unbelievably cheap, this fragrance impresses me again and again!
I have hardly been able to perceive such a sophisticated scent in any other perfume.
The top note starts incredibly masculine Spicy, even fresh with lavender and mint. For me the highlight of the sailor!
In the heart note the fragrance becomes even "warmer". It gets heavier until it has a base of almost gourmand tonka and vanilla sweetness.
Even though Le Male is already 25 years old, he has a DNA that is still very modern, even for today!
Meanwhile, everyone associates this scent with someone or something, so it can also be a handle to the toilet, because if you smell of her EX on the date, the chances are not necessarily high.
Durability is above average despite reformulation.
The sprayers tend to work poorly at times
One of many
I really like JPG's Le Mâle I personally like the scent very much and the price-quality ratio is not bad at all, but there is a problem with the scent.
Every woman has smelled it and every man has worn it and I personally don't like that. I just don't like to be one of many.
The lonely hull
Tight and unbending he stands there. Nevertheless, the men's torso in our bathroom ekes out a dreary and unnoticed existence, and has been doing so for years! Now and then it gets dusted. But one day I got the urge to smell like a real guy! Gently I took hold of the torso and sprayed myself, not too close. A sweet cloud of scent spread out. I do not feel this scent as oriental at all. For me it smells very medicinal, like cough syrup, which is not even meant to be derogatory. However, there are some scents here that disturb me. I like tarragon on fish, but not in one fragrance! Caraway is okay in sauerkraut, but I can do without it in a perfume. Cardamom and cinnamon are supposed to give the fragrance the oriental direction, but fail miserably. They are mercilessly trumped by a rather musty-smelling duo (lavender and mint). On several occasions I have already noticed that mint can smell not always so fresh but also unpleasantly like cardboard. The base with vanilla and tonka bean makes it sweet, but not necessarily better, cedar makes it even worse.

All in all, a very sweet and confusing fragrance, combining the opposing ingredients in a way I wouldn't necessarily consider very successful at this point. But of course it's all a matter of taste, I'm rather from the conservative camp ;) However, Sillage and durability are really top, as always with fragrances with which one does not get so warm

In any case, my ladies' chypre smells more masculine than " le mâle ". Am I a masculine woman now?

I will probably be content in the future to take the torso in my hand from time to time and dust it off now and then
5.5
Reformulated...
... ...and, unfortunately, completely robbed of his soul. In the 2020 version he is only a shadow of his former self. What was once a gourmand sounding Fougère with a great recognition value is now just a mild breeze of lowest concentration.

The current version acts as a seasonal flanker, just like the former Summer series. Much too diluted, rather EDC concentration, more citric and the performance has become absolutely underground.

But now it comes in a higher quality packaging! Wow! Well, the mainstream customer will fall for it.

That was the last "bottle" I bought from Le Male.

First Fleur du Male gets mashed up and then this! I guess the Gaultier days are over too. Pity...

You can clearly see how the label is spinning on savings. I can no longer recommend it.

Who is looking for a good alternative: RD Scandal , AM Reflection, Ph. Wolff Château Phillip or Alexandria 2
No longer the same
Yesterday I got my 125ml bottle delivered and unfortunately had to find out when spraying on that the perfume unfortunately seems very diluted and no longer has the same bang as a few years ago The scent won't last much longer on my skin either. I guess around 2H, then it's only partially noticeable.
A great pity, I must say.
Cngz95
Date in the autumnal city park
For me, this fragrance has two souls in it. On the one hand the fresh, invigorating mint and on the other hand the spicy, warm cinnamon.

In my opinion, however, the dark, warm side of the cinnamon is much stronger, so that the mint is rather discreetly in the background.

If you are looking for a strong, masculine scent that specializes in pleasing the female world, you will definitely find a good match with Le Male
I see the fragrance in the group of people: Male, between 20 - 40 years, self-confident and charming.

IondeIonde 58 days ago
(Early 2000's batch) Remains a timeless choice for a young man out for the evening/club, not so common as Eros nowadays.
Amine1989Amine1989 76 days ago
I'm in love with it , the vanilla is so nice they did a excellent job that why its so famous
JohnnieShoreJohnnieShore 6 months ago
Took me a while to enjoy this one. For outdoor wear. Bitter and sweet at the same time. Masculine but not macho.
HubertGHubertG 8 months ago
masterpiece, recognize it in 2", trendsetter for many years, love the lavender with mint and vanilla together, a must have in the late 90s
AithanAithan 9 months ago
Floral, powdery opening with slight hints of citrus.
Mainly got dry powdery scent at dry-down. Girls' makeup?
Performance is good.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 9 months ago
A true classic that smells good, exciting and new. I still love it. Lavender blast with mint in a base of vanilla and Woods. Masterpiece
AmberScentAmberScent 9 months ago
Even with the risk of other men using it as well, it does mark a personal position, almost an individual stand point. A timeless jewal!
KimJongKimJong 10 months ago
I disagree with the snobbish score, which is currently rated at 7.3. Le Male is actually a great perfume and it's already one history.
KingPinKingPin 12 months ago
3.5
Sweet, soapy, girly, gourmandy. Not for me (or any man imo, which is ironic given the name).
GolcherGolcher 13 months ago
Awesome frag but 8.4 longevity? not a chance, perhaps the old formulation!

Discussions about Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette)

by Scottie
by MisterStench
by GreenC
by GreenC
by Miaw2
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon aus 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
Jean Paul Gaultier - Le Male 75ml: links Flakon 2011, rechts Flakon aus 2002
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte
by Pepper81
by Pepper81
by Linusmart
by Linusmart

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Superman Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier