Le Mâle Essence de Parfum (2016)

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig.

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Georgywood®, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeather, Osmanthus
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 06.05.2019

Le Male - finally reasonable
I think every one of us knows him - the original Le Male - who felt like he could be smelled on every street corner, in every café or even in every club.
Please don't get me wrong, I liked it and I think it's very good. Yes, I would have or would even wear it myself if it weren't so "carried to death".
And that was exactly the reason why I completely ignored him, also the numerous flankers from Le Male were simply uninteresting for me.

More by coincidence I came across this candidate here and thought to myself "hey, just have a look..." and let me carefully read the comments.
These are actually very good, and the fact that the Essence has the typical Le Male DNA, but still has its own way, made it interesting for me again.

The forum makes me brave when it comes to blindfold purchases :)
So ordered. And in case I don't like it there is the absolutely great possibility of the Souk here. :)

Immediately after spraying you notice what you are dealing with. That it's a Le Male. The typical Le Male DNA is relatively clearly perceptible, but it is so wonderfully different, much rounder, fresher and not as brutally intrusive as Le Male.

The notes I can definitely perceive are the leather, osmanthus and later on the tonka with the vanilla .
The leather is well shown to advantage and together with the osmanthus gives it a beautiful masculine character. With me then also quite fast the rest of the pyramid is added. Which I think is very nice, because it quickly becomes nice and round and mega pleasant.

For shelf life and Sillage:
It lasts a good 5-7 hours on my skin. But on clothes much longer.
The Sillage is very strong the first two hours. I can't really judge what it will be like later on, but I perceive it clearly all the time.
But I'm also a "sprayer" :)

My conclusion:
Despite the typical DNA a beautiful scent, which is at the same time "refreshing" different.
Except on really hot summer days, it can be worn almost all year round. Also in the office or at appointments it should not be a problem - well dosed.
Finally, I can say that I really like to wear it from time to time.

It is something for everyone who already liked the original Le Male and at the same time for those who find the original version too intrusive and sucked away.
This one is pleasantly different, but without completely losing its origin.
Like it! :)
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Le Male + spicy, dusty leather
From the moment I smelled the opening years ago, I liked it. In fact, the opening is just awesome - a drier and slightly spicier Le Male - still with plenty of sweetness - albeit with "more mature" slapped all over its chiseled torso. Unfortunately, the disappointment came in the drydown.

On my skin, the original Le Male backbone in Essence de Parfum loses its muster quite quickly - about an hour in, to be exact. The sweetness fades, to be replaced with a super dry cardamom, subtle leather and vanilla combo, all the way to the end. It's definitely a decent scent, but just a tad dry for my tastes.

For months, I was turned off by how the cardamom was being used in this composition - unlike the sweet, smooth and fully integrated nature of the spice in YSL's La Nuit de L'homme or CH Men Prive (both obvious competitors), the cardamom in Essence comes off a little brash and astringent when combined with the leather. There's simply not enough tonka and vanilla to balance it out. Perhaps the addition of a denser wood or amber would have been more appropriate?...

In either case, I've come back to it after a couple years of disillusionment and still enjoy wearing it sparingly on cool autumn nights and rainy spring days. Damp environments tend to bring out the sweetness a bit more. And compared to the overly sweet / fruity / ambroxan heavy men's releases in the past two years, Essence de Parfum is actually a breath of fresh and elegant air, dry cardamom 'n' all.

JoaoMartins 132 days ago
Not as bad as the original nor Ultra male. Still garbage+1
5.0
Carlitos01 11 months ago
Use your Levi's jeans, your smooth leather jacket and suede shoes, and ride your vintage Harley. Don't forget to spray with Le Mâle Essence.+6
10.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
The scent would be quite nice (pleasantly spicy, vaguely reminiscent of the original) if the woods in the base would not smell synthetically.+1
9.0