Le Mâle Essence de Parfum (2016)

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Essence de Parfum is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 2016. The scent is sweet-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Puig.

Quentin Bisch

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Georgywood®, Cardamom
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeather, Osmanthus
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 19.11.2019.

6.0 8.0 8.0/10

JamesBlond
Barking leather jackets don't bite!
Essence de parfum was one of the first fragrances on my wish list. Disdained the primal painter, Essence promised a way out of the hype. A scent that doesn't provoke five times a day someone to tell you what you're wearing. You feel a little ashamed like you bought an ed hardy shirt.
I wanted leather, something male that scratches and gets on people's noses in the elevator, at the cash desk at Rewe and the colleagues at the Christmas party.
I bought a souk at an auction, although I was about to order the bottle blind.
Thank God I didn't.
The first time sprayed on, the full drone develops immediately. Nothing with top note but vanilla and....tobacco?
Who knows Moods cigarillos can imagine how Essence de parfum smells at the beginning. That's that "wow" moment where even non-smokers say the moods smell delicious. Problem is, after five minutes, that'll do. Unfortunately the vanilla doesn't and so she burns for 2 hours until she disappears almost unnoticed. Like a magician, just gone. Not quite but it finally smells like leather, very sweet and almost a bit shy, but clearly in front of the vanilla tobacco and the thing gets round.
So much that you can't smell the transition, no corners and edges. Nothing scratches and it looks unbelievably high-quality and light.
Unfortunately, in the end, that's also the hair in the soup. The fragrance lasts a long time, but nobody notices. I myself smell Him only very weakly, but my fellow men do not smell Him at all. After 3 days I liked it so much, but it didn't get stronger.
I can recommend the fragrance, unfortunately not the performance. At least not to me.
10.0 7.0 9.0 10.0/10

Le Grand Le Male
A superb perfume, probably the best "Le Male" that you can currently buy.

However, it's not the most suitable perfume for the habitual public of JPG fragrances (typically young people, avid for attention and compliments). It's less "playful" and that may cause confusion... ("Does this thing smell like... Leather? And... Sweet? OMG...")

Ok, just wear it and you've got a high quality scent with a truly modern olfactory proposal: It makes a young man more interesting and seductive, and a serious man, more charismatic and appealing.

Sounds good? Well, it smells fantastic.

So you don't need me to tell you its notes, because you can read them, right..? What you need to know, is that it's wonderfully composed and has a beautiful interplay between them.

Longevity: Easily 10h.

Sillage & Projection: 2h average, the rest moderate.

Lifestyle & Mood: This fragrance masterfully contrasts several concepts: manly but sweet,
adult but fun, urban but refined, polite but wild, modern but traditional...

You see it..? It is c.r.e.a.t.i.v.e.

"Le Male Essence de Parfum" is simply what a great "designer" perfume has to be.
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

ScentSlave
This one stands out from the rest of the Le Male line;
I don’t get any similarity to the original Le Male in this one. Ultra Male? Nope. Essence stands out with a darker, more masculine, leathery sweetness. It’s a very full scent, but it sits closer to the skin. The sillage trail is definitely there (people will know when you were in the room after you’ve left), but it’s not an exploding projector. It has about a 2ft radius of projection.

The scent itself is very nice; not being similar to the original Le Male or Ultra Male in how the sweetness flows. Those two bring more of a feminine, soft sweetness. The Essence IS indeed sweet; but with more of a leathery, dark, and confident vibe. Maybe the “bad boy” of the Le Male family? Don’t get me wrong; the leather note gives more of a “brown leather cowboy” feel. It’s definitely not a “black leather jacket biker”, if that makes any sense.

I get about 6-8 hours performance with the projection radius, and a great sillage trail for about 3-4.

It’s not a blind buy, but I’m happy I grabbed it.
5.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Le Male - finally reasonable
I think every one of us knows him - the original Le Male - who felt like he could be smelled on every street corner, in every café or even in every club.
Please don't get me wrong, I liked it and I think it's very good. Yes, I would have or would even wear it myself if it weren't so "carried to death".
And that was exactly the reason why I completely ignored him, also the numerous flankers from Le Male were simply uninteresting for me.

More by coincidence I came across this candidate here and thought to myself "hey, just have a look..." and let me carefully read the comments.
These are actually very good, and the fact that the Essence has the typical Le Male DNA, but still has its own way, made it interesting for me again.

The forum makes me brave when it comes to blindfold purchases :)
So ordered. And in case I don't like it there is the absolutely great possibility of the Souk here. :)

Immediately after spraying you notice what you are dealing with. That it's a Le Male. The typical Le Male DNA is relatively clearly perceptible, but it is so wonderfully different, much rounder, fresher and not as brutally intrusive as Le Male.

The notes I can definitely perceive are the leather, osmanthus and later on the tonka with the vanilla .
The leather is well shown to advantage and together with the osmanthus gives it a beautiful masculine character. With me then also quite fast the rest of the pyramid is added. Which I think is very nice, because it quickly becomes nice and round and mega pleasant.

For shelf life and Sillage:
It lasts a good 5-7 hours on my skin. But on clothes much longer.
The Sillage is very strong the first two hours. I can't really judge what it will be like later on, but I perceive it clearly all the time.
But I'm also a "sprayer" :)

My conclusion:
Despite the typical DNA a beautiful scent, which is at the same time "refreshing" different.
Except on really hot summer days, it can be worn almost all year round. Also in the office or at appointments it should not be a problem - well dosed.
Finally, I can say that I really like to wear it from time to time.

It is something for everyone who already liked the original Le Male and at the same time for those who find the original version too intrusive and sucked away.
This one is pleasantly different, but without completely losing its origin.
Like it! :)
8.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Le Male + spicy, dusty leather
From the moment I smelled the opening years ago, I liked it. In fact, the opening is just awesome - a drier and slightly spicier Le Male - still with plenty of sweetness - albeit with "more mature" slapped all over its chiseled torso. Unfortunately, the disappointment came in the drydown.

On my skin, the original Le Male backbone in Essence de Parfum loses its muster quite quickly - about an hour in, to be exact. The sweetness fades, to be replaced with a super dry cardamom, subtle leather and vanilla combo, all the way to the end. It's definitely a decent scent, but just a tad dry for my tastes.

For months, I was turned off by how the cardamom was being used in this composition - unlike the sweet, smooth and fully integrated nature of the spice in YSL's La Nuit de L'homme or CH Men Prive (both obvious competitors), the cardamom in Essence comes off a little brash and astringent when combined with the leather. There's simply not enough tonka and vanilla to balance it out. Perhaps the addition of a denser wood or amber would have been more appropriate?...

In either case, I've come back to it after a couple years of disillusionment and still enjoy wearing it sparingly on cool autumn nights and rainy spring days. Damp environments tend to bring out the sweetness a bit more. And compared to the overly sweet / fruity / ambroxan heavy men's releases in the past two years, Essence de Parfum is actually a breath of fresh and elegant air, dry cardamom 'n' all.

Spiff 42 days ago
Great re-interpretation of Le Male that takes it in a more mature direction. Excellent scent, great performance.+1
10.0
JoaoMartins 10 months ago
Not as bad as the original nor Ultra male. Still garbage+1
5.0
Carlitos01 17 months ago
Use your Levi's jeans, your smooth leather jacket and suede shoes, and ride your vintage Harley. Don't forget to spray with Le Mâle Essence.+9
10.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
The scent would be quite nice (pleasantly spicy, vaguely reminiscent of the original) if the woods in the base would not smell synthetically.+1
9.0

by OvidiuH
by Prophetfive
by Prophetfive

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Kokorico (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Jean Paul Gaultier Ma Dame (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Beau by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique X (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier