Le Mâle Terrible (2010)

Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier
Bottle Design: Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Terrible is a perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 2010. The scent is sweet-spicy. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Vetiver
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 15.08.2019

8.0 6.0 7.0 8.5/10

Le Male updated
Le Male was a milestone in the fragrance world, a staple that is relevant today however, it has become a victim of its own success and reformulations. It's been copied by everyone and overplayed.
Le Male Terrible keeps the DNA but changes just enough to make the fragrance new and exciting. The note breakdown is far simpler and replaces the bergamot in the opening with a very noticable grapefruit that shines.

Longevity is average, projection is good but the scent is what brings me back to Le Male Terrible. Just as the bottle, this fragrances is an edgier version of Le Male
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

The name says it all!
" Terrible ", French for:

Bad, terrible, terrible, terrible, fantastic, great, sensational, great, terrible, terrifying, terrifying, murderous, grim - violent, devastating.

I think you can blame the fragrance for a lot of things that some people do: To swim through the sweetness in the mainstream of the time, to be quite similar to the original, to be somewhat weaker than the original (vintage)...

But there's one thing you can't blame him for: And that he doesn't live up to his name. And that's not what I'm talking about, negative
I have had this fragrance for a surprisingly long time (on the scale of my Parfumo time...). I have to admit, I haven't worn it for some time now, but I always knew that I wouldn't give it up, that it has a fixed place in my collection.
When I tested it "hardcore" at that time, I wore it high, up to overdosed during sports (alone, not in the fitness center or where you can torture people with it...), which I sometimes do with scents to find out where their soul lies.
It works great with sports, because the heat and sweat brings the scent to another working area, perfumes go out, I really find on and out of myself, as if you would disassemble them.

And from this experience I can tell you, you CAN overdose this fragrance. I think it's even easier than the Ur-Le Male.

Let's get back to the name and the scent. The name and outfit of the bottle (more transparent blue with worn stripes) and the box (in black) already tell its story, this is supposed to be a dirtier "Bad Boy" version of Le Male. Like ripped jeans or something. RogerWilco said that beautifully, I think: "Leather jacket and cigarette butt in the corner of the mouth". And that's exactly what the scent does for me.

He has this vanilla-lavender-amber triad which somehow makes him pretty and beautiful in the heart, but here it has been provided with grapefruit, pepper and vetiver, which makes it somehow rougher, edgier and more unpleasant than Le Male. Nice "edgy"... To me Le Male, on the other hand, seems really smooth and lovely! And I don't know if that was the reason to reduce the performance (resp. adjust it to the weak reformulated Le Male performance), but for me this smell would be too intense if it were stronger... The way it is now, you can distribute it a little better with several sprays over the body, and thus achieve a more even distribution.

I just rediscovered it for myself after a long time, and I think it's real, really cool. He is somehow different because of this olfactory plot twist, and because of his casual way to smell full of interest. I fully understand this "terrible" term; if you put on a bit too much of it, you still want to smell all the time because the notes are somehow addictive - but it's too much and somehow intrusive at the same time. Because then such a citric spiciness cuts through the vanilla, which can be somewhat cloying. I really believe that this is a fragrance that could draw a lot of attention to you through the Sillage, because even more than with "Le Male" you have the feeling "WHAT WAS THAT FOR A Smell? WHO WAS THAT? I MUST RICHE IT NOCHMAL".

Please don't put my words on a gold scale... but find it really underrated and timeless. Due to his somewhat fresher appearance I could also imagine that he is very useful especially in summer. And now that "Dior Sauvage" has made pepper suitable for the masses again anyway, it's twice as good as before in terms of people's reputation. You don't care or don't care, but it's just the fashion phenomenon.

I think if Le Male Terrible was allowed to express his opinion, it would say "I don't really care if anyone else likes me... I don't even want everyone to like me." *Grins, lights a cigarette and leans cool against the Shelby Mustang GT500* ;)
8.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Darkbeat
Nothing terrible, fresh and very good flanker of the original.
That is, what should be all fragrance flankers, an interpretation of the original. No, bring to the market flanker that have nothing to do with their mother fragrances, just to take advantage to sell the name or the prestige created by the origin fragrance.

"Le Male Terrible" is the original aroma with a few touches that are fresher, lighter, a less complex fragrance, but of an olfactory quality comparable to the original "Le Male". From the beginning you can see the DNA "Le Male", that characteristic vanilla lavender with warm touches of precious amber, but at the start it is fresher for the grapefruit, even fleetingly fruity and pungent for the pink pepper, then the aroma melts with a touch of vetiver, but nothing remarkable, being at all times the protagonists of the aroma lavender, vanilla and amber. The truth is that, not to be a lover of the original aroma, I liked it, it seemed simply more versatile and fresh.

The performance is very good, being quite durable on my skin, with a duration of about 8 hours or so, and a moderate wake from the beginning, although a little more noticeable in the first hour of application.

For me, it is much more versatile than the original, being able to use it at any station and time of day, in this aspect I do not see any noticeable glitch.

One curious thing is his name, "Terrible", and that's why I expected it to be more intense than the original, but it has not been like that, it's much cooler, so I do not understand what "Terrible" is, anyway, it's a very recommended perfume. Very good Flanker of "Le Male", but the best.

Sorry for my bad english.

Golcher 63 days ago