Ultra Mâle 2015

Ultra Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier
Ultra Mâle is a popular perfume by Jean Paul Gaultier for men and was released in 2015. The scent is sweet-fruity. Projection and longevity are above-average. It was last marketed by Puig. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Aventus (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pear, Lavender, Mint
Heart Notes Heart NotesCumin, Cinnamon, Clary sage
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Amber, Woods

8.1965 Ratings

Submitted by Michael, last update on 11.06.2021.

The face of the advertising campaign is model Jarrod Scott.

Ultra Mâle's Ratings are Artificially Suppressed
Tl;dr: There are haters who are giving this fragrance an unfairly low rating, but if you set aside your preconceived notions, you just might find you really like Ultra Mâle.

After more than a decade of not wearing any fragrance, I got the urge to curate a small collection of fragrances for my personal use. I set out to examine fragrances independently, without regard to brand renown or general popularity -- in other words, to do like Toucan Sam and "follow my nose." Because when you're out and about giving meaning to the existence of your fragrance, allowing yourself and others to experience and enjoy it, they neither know nor care what shape bottle it came from or even which brand it is. All they care about is what their nose is telling them about the scent you exude. That's the simple fact of wearing and enjoying fragrances.

My methodology was to sample each fragrance at the opening, put each tester strip in a separate Ziploc bag, and sample it again after the dry-down. And so it went with approximately 300 samplings over the course of a couple months. As the samplings went on and my confidence in my favorites grew stronger, I began forming my collection. Special thanks to big sales before and after Mother's Day and Father's Day 2021 in the U.S., such as 30% off sales from Lancôme, YSL, and Mugler, as well as a couple 40%-50% discounts on other individual fragrances. Which as a side-note serves as a reminder that patience and strategic/opportunistic buying can save you a lot of money while curating your collection, especially if you buy from retailers.

Back to my review of Jean Paul Gaultier's Ultra Mâle. I loved it. Before I even sampled it, I immediately hated the bottle. I mean, the dick bulge is just too much -- what heterosexual male wants to hold that bottle and have his fingers brush up against a dude's crotch? But again, I didn't allow myself to care about the bottle because that was only for the eyes. And in this olfactory journey, the nose was to be judge, jury, and executioner. The judgment: an overall 9/10 on the scent. Both during the opening and dry-down, it was sweet and inviting with no trace of questionable or off-putting smells.

So, why is this not rated more highly in the Parfumo community? My theory is that there are two reasons. First, many people don't like the bottle, so they exact revenge on the fragrance for a marketing issue. Not fair. And second, people overreact to hype in a negative way. Maybe if you never heard of the fragrance, you would have given it an 8/10, but because everyone else said "OMG 10/10 MUST BUY!!!", you feel the need to take it down a peg so you rate it 6/10. Again, not fair to the fragrance itself.

In case you want to re-examine whether you have fairly rated Ultra Mâle, maybe you can take a look at the nose behind the fragrance. Did you ever think about who created this? Hm... it's Francis Kurkdjian. Of Baccarat Rouge 540 fame. And like 540 and dozens of Kurkdjian's other fragrances, Ultra Mâle is a high-quality work of art. Maybe you can perform the mental exercise of disassociating the fragrance itself from its bottle, from its alias ("The Clubbing King"), and from its hype, and simply let your nose decide. I guarantee the reviewers who gave this fragrance an unbelievably low 0.5 rating for the scent would realize they were just "taking it down a peg" and would admit their rating is artificially suppressed. And hey, maybe overly-sweet isn't your thing and it's only a 6/10, but you are doing others an injustice by fraudulently manipulating the ratings by giving it a 0.5/10. Because as a statement of objective fact, a rating of 0.5/10 would apply categorically to the worst smells you can possibly imagine -- literally raw sewage or worse -- and I cannot conceive of a human who would ever rank this fragrance as being anywhere near the worst smells on earth.

In summary, it is my opinion that the ratings should be higher, and each individual should try this fragrance for oneself. Forget about the bottle, forget about anyone else's opinion (unless you're wearing it primarily for your "special someone"), and just let your nose decide. Beyond that, you might already be aware that the sillage and longevity are considered to be on the higher end of the performance spectrum, so you merely need to determine whether the price/value proposition is right for you. Already have five other sweet frags? Maybe skip this. But for me, starting from zero, I happily added this to my collection.
Schorschle
Everything else no longer takes place
Yesterday I'm at the friendly fragrance dealer in the city center after a long Corona break thanks to Luca app finally come back to sniff. Whereby, so much sniffing was not in it at all, because I made a crucial mistake: I began my fragrance journey with JPG UltraMale.

Already when spraying on the paper strip I noticed what was coming. An incredibly dominant sweetness that puts everything else in the background. Except for this extreme sweetness, I could not perceive anything, neither other fragrance notes, nor the very well known DNA of the original le Male.
And also all other fragrances fell behind this perfume on this day, because I was probably a little inaccurate when spraying on and hit my arm. Bad mistake. Everything smelled like John Paul's sweet tooth drawer.

All other fragrance composition could not penetrate the sweetness of the UltrMale, which is why I then also broke off my sniffing after about 15 minutes, with the thought to come home quickly to wash this extreme fragrance from my skin.
I absolutely did not understand what everyone finds in this fragrance.

However, on the way home, I noticed that after about half an hour, there was something hiding behind the sugar bomb after all. The amber and woods peaked through the mist and made the scent increasingly interesting. Again and again I had to smell my arm. Again and again, I found something new. Again and again, it was interesting.

So I would say in retrospect: nothing for me. Good to stand out in the club as a delicious sweet. Only at second glance more than the opening suggests and then yet a very interesting experience

Pauljaeger
By far my most complimented scent
Yes, ultra male is a sweet fragrance, too sweet to some people’s noses. Some might consider the name Ultra Male not fitting with how sweet this fragrance is, because I feel like a lot of sweetness is considered feminine. I don’t know if I would agree with that, but I know for sure that a lot of ladies love sweet fragrances on a man. With this being the sweetest scent I have tried, it was also the most complimented by ladies.

For me it has become the best club/party/social gathering scent there is. Some of the reactions to this fragrance I got were pretty intense, with ladies literally grabbing me to smell me. Without going into detail, let’s just say it has been a successful compliment getter.

I see this fragrances often compared with Versace Eros or Paco Rabanne One Million. I personally dislike those. They smell very nice, but where I live you should only buy those if you want to smell like everyone else. I have smelled Ultra Male on a handful of other people, but Eros and One Million, those scents are everywhere, especially in younger crowds. Don’t let this discourage you though, they are very nice fragrances and there is a chance you will love them, if you havent tried them yet.
Sylar
Huge sweetie in the club
I was looking for a good club fragrance and became aware of Ultra Male.
Important for me to a club fragrance is probably like for everyone that it smells good and lasts a long time. Because just in the club where you dance and sweat you want yes not the smell of sweat the
first is what a woman of one perceives.
I bought the 200ml bottle and was impressed by the packaging, because the bottle is in a
small with red velvet covered foot what looks very classy. Then it came to the first sprayer and I thought ouh... that is
but very sweet. It smelled not bad but for a fragrance that is intended for men, already very unusual.
I was unsure how well the fragrance arrives at the ladies world at a man but the same day I was for dinner at my girlfriend and as you
passed me she said, wow what smells so good here? is that a new perfume? "On it I have asked other girlfriends still and all were united
the fragrance smells great. In addition, the fragrance is one of the best in my small manageable collection and holds loose 8 - 12 std Price is the fragrance also unbeatable for what you get and can only recommend it to anyone who has a hang to sweet fragrances.
Goes also to Corona times
As a disco / clubbing / party fragrance, it is often described.
I can agree with that.
But he is more.
Here it depends more than many other fragrances on the dosage. That is also the reason why the Ultra Male comes away with me so well, although I'm actually not a fan of sweet fragrances..
Spray you "normal" and you can go in the evening with your friends abzappeln, spray a little less than usual and he can also be used in everyday life.
Again to the sweetness... I find it not soo extreme as it is often described, otherwise he would be nix for me. I find rather the pear is constantly present.
After a certain time joins some cinnamon, the mint I can not really strongly smell out.
In the conclusion then still the vanilla...yes, all sweet things but in a beautiful interplay and more than bearable if one is not just eindieselt.
The price / performance ratio is good, which is why you can also take the partly somewhat synthetic part in purchase.
In addition, one is rewarded with a super durability and sillage ... but think of the dosage ;)
The I also speak again because it is really often said that it is a fragrance for younger people... you can also regulate with the dosage.
One must take back just in the age sometimes something ;P
Finally, something about the bottle... the from the Le Male series I never found beautiful, after all, I like the colors better here and it looks a little bit classier. The Abziehring is however cheap goods.
0.5

Chemical pear ?
Chemical pear ?
Too sweet, too chemical, too poor scent, too overrated.
For school kids.
Don’t spend your money.
I sold my Ultra Male for €10, because girls don’t like it

Eros and flankers of one million are better for clubs
Women love him
I have ordered a bottling of the fragrance, once worn in winter and my girlfriend directly "you smell way too good, I do not want you to smell so good when other women can smell that too". I myself love the fragrance also very much. Is pleasantly sweet and you can smell the pear really mega strong out. Unfortunately, this is somewhat artificial, but otherwise top! Have then directly bought a 125ml bottle and will definitely recommend it. The sillage is top, you have a real fragrance bubble around. The durability is also above average.
I can recommend the fragrance to anyone who is between 15 and 40 years. Is in my opinion almost a must have in the designer world, but also for those who focus more on niches a good investment.

Perfect for the colder months or cozy evenings.

Final Score: 9.5/10
Woman magnet 10/10
Felixwinds
Unnaturally seductive. . . . !
I was standing in front of a perfume shelf in Müller. It was not long ago, since the interest for perfume had grabbed me. At that time I was in my free year after high school. My attention turned at the moment almost only around women. Accordingly, I was out in clubs a lot and I was looking for a fragrance to go out in. So when I was in a Müller in the city centre, which was well stocked with perfume, and I was standing in front of the shelf, a sales lady approached me from the side, dressed like a drag queen. She, but I think it was a man, was very nice and asked me what I was looking for. I told her I was looking for a perfume for the club and was just undecided. I pointed to Eros and Ultra Male, both of which I had each on a perfume strip in my hand. The drag queen said that she liked the Ultra Male more. I took another sniff of the strip myself and agreed with her.
So I went to the checkout with Ultra Male and bought one of my first perfumes, which I wanted to use for the club. I was really proud and full of anticipation. I couldn't wait until I got home and unwrapped the perfume while still in town. It was packed in a beautiful aluminium tin. Very original, I thought to myself. The dark blue Adonis body stood in a purple base that was part of the bottom of the tin.
Now Ultra Male has been around for two years. It is one of the few perfumes that have survived this long in my collection. One reason is certainly that it rarely came to use, namely mainly in the club. And since I bought then like crazy one fragrance after another, which I then also wore in the club, Ultra Male came even quite rarely to use.
Nevertheless, I just love him and I think you will also be able to read out in my review. But before that I must say...

...please lower your standards, dear niche enthusiasts! Ultra Male is not an olfactory painting, which you examine neatly and think about it in the quiet chamber with a serious face. No, it is a perfume in the most normal sense, because it is made for use and for the masses. The opening is very heavy, it rushes right at you with a pear of all sorts of fresh synthetic stuff. But thankfully that soon subsides and the pear is enveloped by a warm note. Wow, really appealing. A spicy vanilla wind takes you by storm, which is musky smooth at the same time. It gets almost gourmand, with a delicious bubblegum note emerging. When sniffed directly on the skin, the perfume is quite overwhelming to the nose. Ultra Male is just equipped with an ultra strong projection, which unfortunately has no regard for careless noses sniffing directly at the sprayed on area. Even more so, the synthetics of the top note can be somewhat disturbing in the first hour.

Ultra Male is loud and seductive. Like a drag queen. That's why I mentioned that it was a drag queen who sold me on the fragrance. The scent comes off with that exact confidence and extroversion that I've experienced from drag queens in the club. I like it! That unnaturally extraordinary outfit, with the outwardly radiant demeanor. Once when I was in the club, I took a photo with two drag queens. I felt very comfortable doing that, because I felt very welcome around them.
In this way, the perfume Ultra Male also has an effect on me. It is indeed a strongly projecting perfume with a smell that seems unnatural to some noses, but at the same time it is incredibly seductive and makes you feel comfortable ( or at least I feel comfortable).
Ultra Male is therefore special to me because it has a meaning to me. It reflects the free, freed from any constraints and expressive behavior of drag queens again or just ourselves, if we allow or want this:

Although I myself am rather the quiet listener in conversations, I can go mega off with music in the club , which I like...Music: The First Time, Bontan.
In those moments when I'm all to myself, in a huge crowd, I couldn't care less how I appear or what others think of me. I am so full of joy that pushes away any negative feelings and thoughts.
Ultra Male is an ideal companion for me in these moments, or rather a beautiful expression of my mood.

The name Ultra Male does not suggest an ultra masculine fragrance, but rather a male fragrance that floats outside the concept of a classic masculine fragrance.
The perfume is certainly also wearable by women, however, it is not so important with this one who wears it. Surely it is preferred because of the marketing rather by young men.
For me, however, the fragrance is not unisex in the sense that this is exactly between typical male and typical female fragrances, but by simply going to the extremes. It is a very sweet fragrance, so basically a feminine fragrance. Then, however, not floral, but spicy-woody, which is again rather masculine and finally the pear throws everything over the top and makes the fragrance, together with the other notes, simply seductive, in which case the gender is completely irrelevant.
I think that's why it was also at 2 compliments that I got in the club: "What smells so good here?" and not "Who smells so good here?"
Pappenheimer's
Mr. and Mrs. Pappenheimer go shopping.
To a well-known drugstore chain.
Mrs. Pappenheimer is having her good day, that's why today.
Otherwise she wouldn't do this to herself.
She knows exactly what to expect.
How could it be otherwise,
barely through the door,
her husband storms towards the counter,
his gaze magically drawn
by a provocatively masculine-looking bottle,
tight-fitting bodysuit in dark blue stripes.
Of course, Mrs. Pappenheimer has known the scent for a long time.
She is often enough here,
to sniff through everything.
Now goes an attractive saleswoman,
black, tight-fitting trousers, neat white blouse
walks towards her husband.
Spellbound, his gaze hangs on her lips,
as she tries to make him like the scent....
As if that were necessary,
he was going to buy it anyway...
the bottle alone....
Mrs. Pappenheimer smiles to herself,
she knows her Pappenheimer,
they've been married for almost 30 years now.
She strolls around the shop,
tests here, sniffs there....
Then comes Mr. Pappenheimer
comes rushing up to her, beaming with pride rushes up to them:
"Smell this. I've discovered a great scent. What do you say?"
(The fragrance has long since been paid for and purchased!)
A cloud of fragrance assaults Mrs. Pappenheimer,
and she takes a step back with a gasp...
clears throat....
the saleswoman had sprayed him from top to bottom.
An overwhelming fruit sweetness invaded her.
After all, she had long since tested the fragrance herself,
knows that when the exaggerated sweetness subsides after hours,
the actual ingredients are not sooo bad.
But in this lushness it must inevitably
think of the so very sweet and cinnamony fruit compote
from Grandma Heidi,
which she couldn't get out of her mouth even as a child,
and which gradually piled up in her cheeks.

Mr. Pappenheimer's enthusiasm gradually collapsed,
because the reaction was so long in coming...
actually, he knew that SHE
such scents do not like,
mumbled something about exchange....
SHE had regained her composure by now...
"Leave it, you can wear it to work,
a scent for home, then maybe I can choose...",
she smiled at him, and gave him a big smack on the cheek...
The jelly baby
As a child of the 90s I can still remember very well how we have sprayed us at that time before the disco still fast Le Male. Of course, at least 3-4 sprayers too much of it. But the main thing later against all the others anstinken can. :)
No seriously, without in young years so really interested in the so-called fragrance DNA etc., one hoped of course on the feedback of the girls. A "Wow, or cool, ... you wear yes ..." one wanted to hear with pleasure. And you were at least 2 centimeters taller and with a broad chest suddenly in the front.

For a long time I had actually almost always a Le Male in my closet, perhaps to be able to sniff at least now and then the fragrance of youth again briefly, or because he just still goes! Unfortunately, I have then traded away my last copy here in the souk at the end.

An amazing thing happened for me, because my wife immediately noticed that it was suddenly no longer in its place in my closet. I told her, "Yes, I swapped it for another one." Somewhat grumpily she replied, "Aha,..., had to be as" Now you have to know that I have exchanged, or given away, one or two things like that before. Their interest in these changes was however so far nevertheless more than restrained to describe.

Well, so now a few months passed (without a Le Male) and my interest much through the usual online platforms sometime on the "ULTRA MALE". I find the blue bottle just super chic. Sounds stupid now, but that was actually a reason why this version of Le Male suddenly slipped into focus for me. Unfortunately, the countless videos and fragrance descriptions were somehow so not what I like today. The reviews about it would even rather want to attribute it to my youth at the time and so it remained on my part to continue watching.

The coincidence wanted it then but and I discovered a very nice offer here in the Souk.
When the package now arrived, I was immediately thrilled by the bottle and sprayed me the fragrance right away times on. And yesaaaa,... i like him. He is really very sweet and starts for my nose actually with a gummy bear, or better said with a pleasant bubble gum smell.
Who still knows it, ... the scent reminds me somehow of the old gumball machines with coin insertion. At somewhat warmer temperatures, you got in passing, often already the smell of the gum slumbering in the machine in the nose and you were immediately forced to throw something in.

The fragrance actually maintains its strong sweetness all the time and becomes increasingly interesting as it progresses, however. A slight Le Male DNA I would claim is also recognizable after the first sweetness start. Finally, there is a nice balanced vanilla note and something woody.
I'm really thrilled again by a fragrance and love him already. The gummy bear chewing gum note takes me back to my childhood and the fragrance is just very pleasant to wear. Parties or clubbing times are passe' for me, but for leisure he certainly fits very well.

The best experience for me with this fragrance I will not withhold you but also.
I run with this fragrance today past my wife and after 1-2 meters you suddenly calls me: "What are you wearing today? ... That smells so nice of vacation and Mallorca!" I answered her with a smile:" This is my new Le Male". And she smiled back.

While you now complete your night duty in the hospital, I type these lines and wish her a quiet night. Well, holidays by the sea are probably more of a longing and hope for normality at the moment.

Nice if it is now of all perfumes today briefly times has managed to give you the feeling.

Blako11Blako11 10 days ago
Great perfume that doesn't last at all, if you spray about 20 sprays it might last three or four hours, at least on my skin.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 1 month ago
One of the best openings. Sweet pear with seductive vanilla. Its not for no reason king of the club
JFP26JFP26 2 months ago
It's a sweet pear galore with a touch of spices. Very seductive, playful with a nice scent trail. People around you will love it. Good.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 7 months ago
Arguably the best flanker of Le Mâle. Pear and vanilla done right. Sexy and long lasting. 3/5
GreMuserGreMuser 9 months ago
Very loud and sweet, also very very hyped, for my taste it's nothing special. 6 out of 10
HugoderricaHugoderrica 9 months ago
The perfect sweet party scent
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 11 months ago
A heavy oriental fruity-sweet Mid season fragrance, intensified by its solid spicy-resinous base. Nice pear-amber combo.Awesome performance!
Dan81Dan81 1 year ago
Playful pear and seductive amber/vanilla. I just want to keep sniffing it; girls share same sentiments!
Arman038Arman038 1 year ago
Sweet and fruity. An adictive scent with great performance. A compliment getter. It's a must have fragrance
Amazon1975Amazon1975 1 year ago
Garbage....no longevity at all. Smells ok for the hour it lasts. Reformulation has ruined it....it's a watered down disaster

Winterwonderland
by Prophetfive
by Fragrantico6
by Fragrantico6

Popular Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Mâle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Essence de Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle Le Parfum by Jean Paul Gaultier La Belle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique (2017) (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Eau Fraîche Popeye Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Gaultier² Eau d'Amour by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Intense by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Parfum) by Jean Paul Gaultier Fragile (Eau de Toilette) by Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier Classique Eau Fraîche Betty Boop Edition by Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle Terrible by Jean Paul Gaultier Scandal by Night by Jean Paul Gaultier