Fancy Nights 2010

Fancy Nights by Jessica Simpson
Fancy Nights is a perfume by Jessica Simpson for women and was released in 2010. The scent is oriental-earthy. It was last marketed by Parlux.

Steve DeMercado

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Egyptian papyrus
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Indonesian patchouli, Night-blooming jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.11.2020.

Surprisingly good
Yes, it’s a celebrity perfume and yes, it’s by Jessica Simpson:) but I just love it! I’m into oriental style patchouli when it’s blended with vanilla/cocoa, sandalwood for a warm and mysterious feel (not too sweet or gourmand). It was a blindbuy based on a recommendation of a well-known perfume editor. Expectations were as low as it gets. The perfumer nailed it and the first sniff blew me away. Immediately ordered a backup bottle. Fancy Nights can play in the company of heavyweights such as Chanel Coromandel, LIDGE, LIDG or Jovoy Psychedelique. Don’t expect complexity of Coromandel. It’s rather linear but a great and captivating scent reminding of Psychedelique’s dry-down. It’s dirt cheap, easy to blindbuy. It will be awkward when asked what I’m wearing but well worth the embarrassment!

Old Books and Green Vanillas
Jessica Simpson defied expectation with her celebuscent, Fancy Nights. Not that I see her donning a lab coat and protective goggles while comparing methods of oakmoss extraction. Maybe this did, in fact, take place. I highly doubt it but one never knows. Oh, but to take a whiff of this beauty, one has to wonder if maybe she could hold a discussion about such things.

A reviewer below mentioned the smell of books. I love this because it smells like an old opened book. There’s a little dust, an underlying mustiness, and an unusual inky element. Above all, there is the smell of paper. I am no expert but I’ll venture to guess it is due to the papyrus note. The patchouli is a bit dirty but like those found in head shops. It is very verdant here, like reading books in a forest. Longevity is superb, and though I find it is linear it is surprisingly complex, too.

I must confess: I hated this the first few times I tried it. I was reminded of a pine-scented household cleanser. I think this initial reaction was due to the fact I’d grown accustomed to celebrity scents smelling of candy floss and sugar cubes. This defies any and all expectation of what a celebuscent is and could be. Yes, this is sweet but it isn’t gourmand. FN is a very green vanilla—my favorite genre of fragrance—and it is totally inedible. For what it is, FN is very daring and worthy of commendation. Perfume aficionados should try this once, then two more times before either completely dismissing it or falling hopelessly in love.

Anessa
Of yellow cats, leaves and big diamonds
An early blind purchase in my fragrance journey, the opening depending on conditions could feel very papery-screechy like a yellow angry cat shrieking and scratching in my face - loud and almost in a vulgar, sweaty-sour way, the 'papyrus' and bergamot with the patchouli apparently playing a wild mix to my unaccustomed nose.
While wondering why I had bought it, it would morph into a slightly floral, vanilla-flavoured amber patchouli with a vintage feeling, like eating a vanilla-flavoured dessert between dusted clothes and wilted books with a recently dried flower bouquet hanging above. The sweetness level of Fancy Nights measured by the original Fancy (not tried) might not be even worth mentioning for the die-hard gourmand fans; however, I find the vanilla still very distinct and often layer it to tone down the sweetness.

The keyword "goth/gothic" was mentioned 18 times by real reviewers on another review site, "hippie" 5 times, while two of the less real reviewers imagined "Halloween" might sound as good. I can't comment on the "hippies" but wonder if they smelt like an oriental perfume. As for the "goth" association, unless it is meant as in "gothic novels" suggested by the ad with Simpson set up as the typical heroine, I can't imagine a Gothic cathedral nor any Gothic architecture smelling like this. Considering the music of that period, the association feels even more unconvincing.

Someone as young as Piguet or Tabu once said, after smelling FN on me, that it smelt "outdated". While it certainly doesn't smell like the Middle Ages, it indeed feels so dustily old that it might shock the clean, soapy, safe and sensual-musk fraction. Personally, the bottle colour and oriental design with its Art Deco fonts do evoke a dark forest and midnight walks on crashing leaves and twigs, some magical elixir sold in the Old Curiosity Shop or placed on the lounge bar shelf of the Roaring Twenties - I would especially love the last image more than that of a "goth"!

Reformulated or not, FN's rep still holds true about its strength both in projection and longevity that requires a very light application.
Note: Jeanne Arthes Sumatra Patchouli smells like a sweetness-deducted dry down of FN, also affordable albeit with apparently dwindling availability.

Not a keeper
I like all of these accords, but I got nothin'. No patchouli, no rose. It smelled like citronella bug spray, followed closely by pencil shavings, flat-lining with milky Endust furniture spray. Disappointing. Thank goodness for return policies. (My review from another site)

Decent Blind Buy
This is a good oriental. Doesn't match the greats for me, but it's not bad, especially for the price. I like the papyrus note. It calms things down, which is needed because there's something a little acrid or brassy rather than mellow about the components. Still, it's better than the price implies. I may not wear it much since I have several truly great orientals, but Fancy Nights exceeds my expectations.

Omni
It all started with the big Bang
Bang for your buck, yes, this is so cheap you fear the contents. But that's not all, this is the 'Big Bang' fragrance. According to the theme song 'fourteen billion years ago expansion started' And now I know why, clearly Jessica Simpson employed Steve DeMarcado to create Fancy Nights. It's huge, like Giorgio Beverley Hills it starts expanding and enveloping, comets start flying, the air is dense and it's hard to breathe. With a hundred dollars between them the only Patchouli that equals its intensity, in my experience, is in Mon Parfum Cheri EDP. Well, that dries down to uber elegance, this continues to split the atom and burn your nostril hair. I thought the Patchouli was strong in Purplelips Sensual (Dali) It's like Alien on steroids. Riding instructions: Spray the small of your back. If you still like it fifteen minutes later try it somewhere away from your collarbone. Wait five hundred million years for its half-life before you leave the house! The shrivelled old lady who follows your sillage down the street will be me, it's gorgeous from a distance.

Surprise!
I got my "fancy nights" just today and I am really shocked with the quality of this perfumes. It is definitely 1st class, very aromatic, lovely bottle, long lasting ..... a lot +1 for this celebrity perfume. Try it is really worth it and for the price is a bargain. I am very very happy with my choice.

Hidden Treasure
Fancy Nights is one of the most beautiful oriental scents I have ever owned. On my skin, it is sensuous and rich, with just enough sillage and the notes harmonize perfectly. I bought this blind on the recommendation of some perfume friends and after testing, immediately purchased a back up bottle. I have no idea who Jessica Simpson is and and don't care. This scent costs under $20.00 and smells way better than some of the Guerlains that I own.

Unique celebrity fragrance
Just had a chance to try this out. What an incredible contradiction in styles! I cannot wear Ms. Simpson's few creations because they are too cloyingly sweet; though I wish I could simply because they smell awesome out of the bottle but bomb on my skin.

But this perfume... Whew! I almost dropped down on my knees when they made me smell the tester strip at the mall.

Very masculine, spicy, and avant garde. It has TREMENDOUS presence. Like a strong liquid poison in an exciting gothic story... I don't necessarily WANT to drink it. But I can't stop myself from picking up the toxic green bottle... Curious to see what's inside, I sniff this mysterious potion even if it could possibly kill me to do it.

Unconventional, peculiar, but SO enticing... Needs to be tested first or a direct full dose on your skin could kill you. Don't say you haven't been warned...

Not your typical celebuscent...
Jessica Simpson FANCY NIGHTS is very different from the first two members of this series, FANCY and FANCY LOVE. (I have not tried I FANCY YOU.) FANCY NIGHTS is much less sweet and smells quite synthetic and uninviting to me, turning stale on my skin over the course of minutes. It is actually possible for me to wear this perfume (FANCY NIGHTS), while FANCY is just an altogether unpleasant scrub-worthy experience. FANCY LOVE is a bit better than FANCY, but it's really not a perfume that I would ever choose to wear. It's not repulsive, but neither is it appealing. I have purse sprays of the trio and never wear any of them.

Unlike FANCY and FANCY LOVE, FANCY NIGHTS will not induce a diabetic coma in the wearer, nor does it serve as an effective emetic. It does not make me wonder whether I am willfully poisoning myself. No, the only reason why I do not wear FANCY NIGHTS, although I do believe that it considerably better than its predecessors, certainly in composition, but also in quality of components, is because of the dominant papyrus note. Something about it does not sit well with me. It smells a bit like the pages of old library books. Somewhat stale and uninviting. I realize that some people love the smell of the pages of old library books, and I recommend this fragrance for testing by them. It's a real bargain, so if you happen to like this distinctive "papyrus" note, you're in luck.

A much better papyrus-centric perfume is now being offered by the house of Atelier Cologne: ROSE ANONYME, which also has a strong patchouli presence, in addition to the rose.

HellenczHellencz 2 months ago
It feels exactly like it's bottle looks like: deep dark foresty green with gold amber. A little bit spicy, not sweet. Reminds of Coromandel.
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
Pretty good at the almost free price. The scent of an old bookstore, with chocolate-like patchouli, dense and dark vanilla.
GwdbeGwdbe 5 years ago
If you are in love with patchouli lodge in here. This speaks more about patchouli and amber.

by Klaramiamia
by DorianG
by Madkat
by Madkat

Popular Jessica Simpson

Fancy (Eau de Parfum) by Jessica Simpson Fancy Love (Eau de Parfum) by Jessica Simpson I Fancy You by Jessica Simpson Vintage Bloom by Jessica Simpson Fancy Girl (Eau de Parfum) by Jessica Simpson Signature (Eau de Parfum) by Jessica Simpson Dessert Treats - Cupcake by Jessica Simpson Dessert Beauty - Creamy by Jessica Simpson Dessert Treats - Candy by Jessica Simpson