Man Pure 1981 Eau de Toilette

Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design Peter Schmidt
Top 45 in Men's Perfume
Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 1981. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Jacques Artarit

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Clary sage, Oregano, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Patchouli, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesCastoreum, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Nutmeg

Submitted by Megantic, last update on 11.04.2021.

Farneon
At the time, an olfactory bridge that would be en vogue again today!
In 1981 (when this fragrance came out) I was eleven years old. Especially the first half of this decade was certainly a transitional phase, also for me, as I naturally entered puberty and slowly but surely aspired to adulthood. Fashion and musical missteps abounded, but there was also always something new to discover, beyond Nena, mullets, cowboy boots, disco rollers and neon colors.

When I first came into contact with "Man Pure", I don't remember. I may have just been of age. At that time, I was probably also "too much man" in the fragrance, because he has quite a slightly soapy-leathery note, which, however, turned out much milder than in the decade before (transition phase just).

Anyway, the trends in the 80s came more from the bottom up, while today they are rather put into the world by big corporations and clever marketing strategists (in my opinion). "Man Pure" was one of the outstanding fragrances of that time, because it combined the old and the new in itself at that time. Had they known that the old would be resurrected in countless barbershops today, the fragrance would surely still be on the market. On the other hand, Jil Sander probably dared to do something, because aquatic freshness and earthy spiciness were already in there. Only with "male sweetness" one has probably not reckoned at the time.

The combination of ingredients was in any case suddenly no longer typical Chypre or Fougère, but contained a balsamic-herbaceous note, which built a bridge between different fragrance worlds. And since there's practically nothing that doesn't exist these days, I suspect that "Man Pure" would find its target audience today as well. Maybe more in the generation Ü45, but that's where all the money is! ;-)
The very first
My very first fragrance,which I bought as a teenager at the age of 16 or 17. The bottle, just great, the price was about 40 DM, the reactions were all identical....wow, you smell good. Well where is the time gone...that is now 35 years ago, but I would recognize him blindly.
Giant of fragrances
I haven't given a fragrance the full 10 for years - not even my all-time favourite Drakkar Noir. Always hoping that something will come along that will make me flash like never before. Now the 9.5 phase is finally history thanks to this milestone in men's fragrances. It's been a couple of months since I've picked up a few minis from the good Jil in a drawer, and they've been eking out a living in the back corner. It was Background and Man Pure. One of the Man Pure minis I had got rid of years ago because it wasn't quite kosher anymore. But I had a subliminal feeling that it was not unknown to me. And so time went by and then there was this little gem. I did not expect anything, because the other one was tilted as well, at least I felt that way at that time.

No, the eau didn't break, this one was okay. Applied - it was like seeing an old acquaintance again whom you had not seen for a quarter of a century, like a rebirth in the early eighties. Man, I'm so euphoric I don't even know where to start. Okay, so let's start over: application, rebirth in the eighties. Sweet basil meets sage and oregano. Sage is one of the few spices that can act as either Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hide. I have this stuff in my garden and it's a difference like day and night whether you use it dried or otherwise processed or use it fresh. In the first case it can give off its typical (sweet-)sour kick or in the second case it can let the dirty stuff hang out and show itself urine-like and rotten like flower stems that have been standing in the same water for a week. In MP he shows the gentleman's part and together with citrus, clove, geranium and the patchouli a wonderful scent is generated: a fresh green-herbal soap. You moan because of the soap? I usually do too, because it always reminds me so much of cheap shaving lotions and Toni's hairdressing salon. Here it looks a bit different. Even though the soapy vein is the supporting part in much of the late top note and early heart note, nothing looks cheap here. It doesn't exaggerate anything and nothing goes under here, the right balance was struck here. So it doesn't bother that the soapy vein makes itself comfortable in the heart of the fragrance for several hours before the hitherto bombastic fragrance rises to the divine in the base. Oak moss in pure culture - of course, at that time it was still allowed, the allergies were only spun out later - with the earthy patchouli, the beaver's horny plays with the labdanum, the nutmeg unmistakably tart. The cinnamon, which rounds off the whole thing perfectly, dominates, but is never obtrusive.

But there was something else. Right, MP also has an animal vein and here Mr. Artatit did no less bad work, because it can't be 100% determined if it's just beaver horny. I say no, because at least there is still the sage hanging in there, which lets a little bit of the dirty pig hang out from under the spices here and thus also shows its other side. And I have a strong tendency to think that the labdanum has its fingers in the animalistic game, and here, too, the right measure was found to the thousandth part.

This fragrance, which had escaped my memories of the last 20 years, is one of THE fragrances of the 1980s! It shows a multi-faceted, clean freshness, herbaceous and spicy green, grounded and noble. It is beyond all doubt and at the same time it is damn sexy, not to say even a little bit wicked.
The fragrance is clearly perceptible in all its phases, the radiance is very high. This is one that you not only pull behind you, but also push in front of you, but always remains a gentleman due to its perfect composition. Whereas other fragrances from this era like to elicit a "Hey, you smell like daddy (or grandpa)" from the person opposite, a "Hey, you smell... You smell... Unfortunately cool!" come in.
MP could be heard well into the nineties, even omnipresent, in my opinion one of the few milestones of men's perfume and it's really a shame that it no longer exists. Yes, I know that allergenic and poisonous stuff or maybe it was just outdated - but hey, that was a fragrance that would have been really worth dying for. And it still fucking is, actually!

Unfortunately MP is not so easy to get today and it is already three times not cheap. If you want to have the DNA and are willing to do without a few percent of the finest details of MP, you should try Eclat 719. And if you enjoy the equally past Halston Catalyst for Men and don't mind an animal impact, you'll also get something you might like with MP or the 719.
One of a kind...
In search of a male vintage fragrance, I eventually came across Sanders "Man Pure". First of all I got to see it as Dupe and was irritated by the enormous difference. What is this interesting/unusual smell? And who were the people wearing the scent back then? The eighties were a decade which polarized in many ways. So was Man Pure, I thought to myself.
It was getting cold and now the right time had come to take a closer look at the Dupe.
When I wore it, I always had such a cozy and warm feeling, it fit
very much to the cosiness of the drawn-in autumn and the frostiness of winter.

So I had to know what the original smelled like and found another bottle, which thank God had not been tipped. With this scent you definitely attract attention, because I have never smelled anything like this on anyone before. At the beginning I take a mixture of herbs, but it comes across as being directly interwoven with the base.
In the next few minutes a tangy, slightly sparkling, woodsy soap is added, sprinkled with a small breeze of cinnamon. So the fragrance lasts at least 1,5h until the base gets more dominaz and the woody aspect comes to the fore. It is very dry and mossy, somewhat resinous with nutmeg.

This base is the hammer and remains perceptible for at least 16 hours after spraying. When I smell Man Pure, I immediately have a picture of autumnal forests
in my head, always paired with this 80s feeling, which is completely imaginary with me. Nowadays, a fragrance like Man Pure is one that couldn't be more extraordinary, which makes it interesting and desirable for me.

When walking through the city, often the same scents fly through my nose, which smell quite good, but I always wanted a scent that was a little different and not another carrier of the same thing. One can certainly polarize with Man Pure, as it stands in stark contrast to the current fragrance culture. For me, however, it is one of the most characteristic scents I have smelled so far and I am glad to have it around me for a while
Story time
Today I want to tell you how I felt the other day with the baby-
Sitten ergehen. Well - "baby" is not quite the word.
Max and Lottchen are four and five.
Not that you think I'm doing this for money - it's just that it's not ...for a purely ceremonial act of friendship. The parents are old
Friends and I was honestly a little honored;
that they turned to me. Especially since the two
are a little wild at times. (I mean of course Max
and Lottchen.)
After dinner (which, except for one torn out
Bonsai went smoothly) and a little bit of television ("Bauer
is looking for a wife") the two of them finally lay in their floor-
Crib.
"Tell us another story!" shouted Max from above "But a very long..." Lottchen agrees with him "All right..." I'll make myself comfortable on the edge of the bed "Once upon a time, there was a perfume..."
"What kind?"
"Easy, Lottchen. None from your mama. So - it was a
beautiful morning, the sun laughed and morning fresh and
...our Man Pure went out into the world.
That was his name. Lightly floral-powdery aromas
mixed with fine hesperides accompanied it, because the
were his own in his quite pretty, bauhaus-
inspired clothing.
"No armor at all.. "Not really, Maxie, but it's a great advantage adhesive robe. The sun rose higher in the sky...
"What company?"
"Quiet now! So - it became warmer and now they were moving
quite lively the elements and nature spirits of the green,
cheerful dwarf herb meadow. But behind - still good
hidden, a gentle but deep
Hum...
"Maybe my Zotti...?"
"No, Lottchen, no. It was a fine, mossy chypre-
Bass. Straight from the Enchanted Forest. Because in the gings now
lively forbass straight into it. And of course there are also >br /> some wild animals you can smell. But no
I'm afraid they're very nice. The deeper Man Pure into the forest
...the more you get. There's a goblin doing his
Little fires with wood and birch tar and all kinds of other things.
And some sweets are somewhere under mossy
Stones hidden, somewhere in the unfathomable depths
of the Sander Forest.
Of course, the good perfume also experiences a few
Adventure, but surely you are more interested in the
olfactory profile.
You don't have to think of the whole fragrance experience now as
imagine a big mess like in your room
before cleaning up. No, it's all in perfect harmony with itself-
understandable and easy with each other. The easy thing is, like you
you know, always the hardest. And there are angular transitions
it's not here at all. Everything is perfectly blended and
seems so effortless and natural. That something earthy,
of still real oakmoss and patchouli radiating
can our hero skillfully through almost bee-honey
Keep the labdanum in check. And this is typical for our
Man Pure - it keeps all the different traits
from fresh over spicy, floral, woody and earthy to almost
moulds in calm, well balanced.
Completely unsynthetic and sovereign. Typical sign of the zodiac
Scales, if you ask me. Interesting topic -
which sign of the zodiac have scents - don't you think?
But further in the woods - later it hits the evil fairy Ifra,
but I'll tell you about it some other time And as a result, it's... but let's not do that.
Nowadays perfume is only available for expensive money. To the
Example on ebay, with much, much luck in Mint Condition.
A strange ending for a fairy tale, but you know how it is also what Mr. Geiger says - overcome unbiased
the fairy tale the hurdles of our present consciousness
limitation of being, it knows for the eternal being of the
People, his entelechy, an "Once upon a time",
but leads him through a "here and now" into a
"Once upon a time" over. You should, by the way, more often
read fairy tales yourself. And in general - a lot, very
a lot of reading. It took me decades to learn things
that I could have read in 10 minutes.
So, next time maybe I'll tell you about the br /> Difference between the smell of molecular
Shapes and the perception of quantum-based
Vibration differences, kids. Kids...? Hello...
Maxie... Lotti..
Suddenly I realize how quiet it is. Just a
touchingly tender breathing and panting can be heard.
How easy it is to bring children to rest when
you just respond to them a little bit.
Very quietly and on tiptoe I sneak out
the room...

Heartbeat
Don't worry, it won't be a melancholy, transfigured or even unsparing review of the time of my growing up. No memories of the songs of that time, cars, motorcycles, motorbike parties, discos, concerts, no history, just so much - Man Pure was usually there. Everybody knew the scent and most liked it. 1983.

Today I feel my heartbeat when another package from Ebay is in front of me and I impatiently tear it open. Just the first splashes on my arm, this oily and resinous feeling that spreads on the skin and then -the first time smelling deeply...
Fantastic, not toppled over - not in spite of all the years, it's like 1983: Southern herbs and a clear freshness, the spices, the very, very light, clean soap smell, patchouli and cinnamon, this soft, unsweet, but extremely harmonious, almost oriental basis, which haunts you for days on end. 2020.

How many Dupes had I already tested and bought? All similar, but none even close. How many times I bought Scent 79, smelled sprayed, bunkered, the first version was still quite passable, the second one probably less, it's (only) homages, inspirations. Fine by me, also a 99% similar scent. Yes, with good will it will work.
Nevertheless- just beside it is also over! Always and with everything!

It's about feelings. It's about haptics, the aesthetics of this double-cube bottle, the removal of this cap and this broad, rich spray on the skin, the expectant heartbeat before inhalation and finally -and actually only- about...
..the scent!

The aesthetics of nothingness
The perfect cut. Silhouettes. Sharp and soft at the same time. The art of minimalism. The perfection of simplicity in perfection. No one ruled it like Jil Sander. She made a lot out of little. The fashion she created was for women and men with self-confidence and character strength who filled her creations with their own self. Clean, pure and simple. Although her fashion was very similar to minimalism, her perfumes weren't always the same. Her perfumes were not meant to underline her fashion, but the wearer himself or herself. In the cosmos of the Sander women and men have always been equally in
Self-confidence, strength of character and style equal. What she did for women, she did for men as well. So she created Jil Sander Man Pure in 1981. So she measured the man and created him an aura of perfect molecules. The molecules of pure masculinity, sovereignty and elegance. Jil Sander Man Pure

The fragrance
As apparently cool and distant as Jil Sander's fashion, the fragrance also begins. Cool and almost static Mediterranean herbs open the top note. Slightly citric underlay and metallic-herb. Comparable to a precise, sharp silhouette through fabric. Floral and spicy notes are added. Significantly carnation and rose geranium. The most manly flowers I've ever seen. They run through the heart note like a fine and stylish seam. The seasoning and the herbaceous-herbal course gradually become deeper and warmer through nutmeg and fine chords of cinnamon. All transitions to the individual notes are perfectly coordinated and as flowing as the pinstripes on a perfect tailor-made suit. As far as the base is concerned, Jil Sander Man Pure is pure perfection. She sews together, so to speak, the individual notes or almost cut pieces. A deeply warm and leathery castoreum releases the deepest animal warmth and fuses with a smoky, soft and protective oak moss.

Conclusion
With Jil Sander Man Pure, Jil Sander has given the man a silhouette of sharp and at the same time soft contours. You could be naked with this scent and still be perfectly dressed as a man. This perfume may look cool, fresh and sterile at first contact with the skin, but it's a big mistake. After a short time Jil Sander Man Pure spreads a deep, sensual and sovereign aura of warmth and infinite serenity. And this for many hours. This perfume is minimalism in its most exorbitant form. The olfactory formal language of male aesthetics.
The modern man does not need to know much about fashion, but have the sensitivity to feel a good cut.
-Jil Sander-

In my opinion this also applies to perfume in another form!

MemoryOScent
too good to be forgotten
Jil Sander Man Pure is a dear old favourite. If my memory serves me well it was the second perfume I ever bought and I have a vague recollection of buying it in an airport in the mid 80?s. Not to be confused with the woody aquatic Jil Sander Pure for Men which I also have but prefer not to talk about…. In the 00?s the house of Jil Sander was in a bad place…. No matter what you expect from a masculine scent released in 1981 don’t forget that we are talking about the high priestess of minimalism. It opens with the smell of dry herbs and grey suede. The herbs are dry and subtle, like opening a jar of oregano leaves, and the leather is clean and pale, like Jil Sander’s clothes. There isn’t the slightest hint of sweetness in this composition. As it warms on skin it becomes soapy, like the scent left after bathing with expensive soap and incense adds some warmth to the almost marble-like effect of coldness.

Man Pure, as the name implies is a ritualistic scent. The more it develops the cleaner it smells in an almost obsessive way. It sheds the layers of delicate herbs and soft, slightly smoky leather and reveals a skin white as porcelain, flawless, clean, statuesque. Soap, incense and a texture that reminds me of rice paper stay on the skin and create an effect of relaxation and calmness. There is a dark side to it though. All this obsessive pursuit of purity from a perfume created in 1981 and the combination of soap and incense seem more like a statement than a perfume. Purity and cleanliness become ideas that point the finger and demand devotion. In the end Man Pure smells like political propaganda. It makes me wonder what drew me to this scent so much when at the same time I was interested in much stronger and expressive scents that were widely available in the market. The chill and austerity that Jil Sander Man Pure is has marked a side of my perfume persona that still exists alongside a more flamboyant one that seeks weird, bold perfumes, like the two faces of Janus. In a more concrete way Man Pure left me with an obsession for Jil Sander perfumes and I have enjoyed all of them until Sander for Man in 1998 , the last perfume of the line that had some spark of genius.

by DasguteLeben
by DasguteLeben
by Chanelle
by Chanelle
Sanders finest - Jil Sander Man (1981)
by Parma
by Sirchelios
by Sirchelios
noch eingeschweisste 125ml, wahnsinn!

Popular Jil Sander

Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (1989) / Feeling Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman III (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Woman Two by Jil Sander Woman Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Sport Water by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée) by Jil Sander Man Two / Men Two (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Jil (1997) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Bath & Beauty (1981) by Jil Sander