Man Absolute (2008)

Man Absolute by Jil Sander

Man Absolute is a popular perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 2008. The scent is sweet-woody. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot leaf, Grapefruit, Violet
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Vermouth
Base Notes Base NotesLeather, Oud, Cedar

Submitted by MartinGE, last update on 25.02.2019

8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Vanilla powder
The hobby with smells can be infinite. Sometimes you think you're through with everything, but then all of a sudden you feel like it again. That's what happened to me the other day. I was a little bored with my collection and many of my fragrances were simply unnoticed on the shelf. This I found nevertheless very pity and I was also already a little bit sad about it... But then an acquaintance came up to me, she had cleaned her apartment thoroughly and sorted out many of her no longer used fragrances. She then brought it to me and I didn't even know what to say, I was really happy about it! While sorting out many old and almost forgotten scents came back to me and then it happened to me. I knew what to do so that I could give my hobby some spice again and so it happened, I concentrated immediately on the old vintage fragrances which are no longer available in the perfumeries today. And lo and behold, there are really many wonderful classics where I just can't understand that they were set. So I roll up my collection again :)

This fine Jil Sander I had of course also envisaged in the eye. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get it on the internet anymore and if only at horror moon prices! But I was lucky here at Parfumo and could get an almost full bottle for a halfway good price, so of course I hit it. I didn't know what fragrance to expect, it was a blind purchase but it was worth it!

Hardly sprayed on, I have the feeling, I had always possessed the smell, it was so familiar! He reminds me of my childhood days. On the visits to my aunt, she was a big fan of vanilla and it somehow always smelled of her, where this came from I unfortunately do not know until today. But it's not an easy, sweet vanilla but this one is incredibly clean and powdery. But also a little warm and grown up. I think violets, lavender and leather play a great role here, they make the fragrance absolutely unisex and seductive at the same time. It is a very light leather, nothing musty. Oud I don't even notice rather a little cedar, slightly fresh. A great candidate for cooler days but also in spring (as it is at the moment + 15 degrees and a little more) he fits super!

Such a piece of jewellery, only 11 years ago when it was released and probably already reinstated in 2011. I feel like he's from the '90s. A really great durability, with me on the skin up to 10 hours, the Sillage is very pleasant. I am really very happy that I could get hold of another bottle of this beautiful fragrance and will keep it like my treasure :)
6.0 7.0 8.0 7.5/10

The Softest Touch
Scentrack: Sting - Russians

When temperatures are going down and first snowflakes are in the sky this is my go to hidden gem. One of the softest scents ever, made in pre-Guerlain Wasser's phase. The bottle is really special, like some anthology of DDR design.
Just a touch of bergamot, violet and herbal wormwood in the sea of soft powder with some floral aspects. The base is beautiful, vanilla, amber, touch of medicinal oud and soft leather. Russian oriental. Soft and warm like a Slavic soul.
A perfect scene of bobsled in the dark tajga forest of Puschkin's tales.

Rating: 7.5/10
10.0 5.0 7.5 6.0/10

Purism Goes Oriental
Everybody likes the design approach of Jil Sander. Classic modernism, puristic and reduced to the essential – if there is such a thing like a Bauhaus perfume, Jil Sander fragrances would fit in.

Going oriental and keeping up this approach might be something difficult. Man Absolute is the woody oriental in their line up. Such perfumes tend to be opulent, warm, romantic, cosy and maybe even moony. For Jil Sander, Thierry Wasser avoided this trap by taking purism into extremes.

What we have here is a single accord reminiscent of tonka and vanilla, with only a very slight and fainting citrus in the top. There is a kind of ethereal dryness or woodiness which adds a powdery impression to what I would recognize as tonka and vanilla. Except, according to the known pyramid, there shouldn't be any of that in it. I do not know the origin of the notes we have listed here at Parfumo but can be found elsewhere as well, it is just that I don't smell any of these ingredients as such. Did the perfumer use all this to create a woody, powdery tonka-vanilla illusion?

Be that as it may, Man Absolute can be regarded as a role model for the typical woody oriental, and as such it is being far from eccentric or unique. What I smell here is more or less the core of such Guerlain perfumes like Cologne du 68 or Arsène Lupin Voyou. And below this price level, the essence of Man Absolute can also be found in Arpège pour Homme or, even cheaper, J'S Exté.

Is Man Absolute a complete perfume at all? Some people might praise this purism, but others might simply call it boring. Let me put it like this: if you like what all of the perfumes mentioned have in common then Man Abolute might be your fragrance. In this case you get the essence of it without having to compromise with any perfumer's further ideas. But with the same right, you could blame this fragrance for simply being incomplete and boring. I'd vote for the latter.

by Pepper81
by Pepper81
by Gusteau
by Gusteau
Man Absolute von Jil Sander
by Chnokfir

Popular Jil Sander

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sensations by Jil Sander Eve by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Sensual Jil by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Pure by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Sport for Women by Jil Sander