Man III 1987 Eau de Toilette

Man III (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Man III (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 1987. The scent is spicy-fresh. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesMugwortMugwort BergamotBergamot CorianderCoriander LavenderLavender RosemaryRosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesFruitsFruits CarnationCarnation RoseRose ThymeThyme JuniperJuniper
Base Notes Base NotesMossMoss MuskMusk PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood FrankincenseFrankincense CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by DirkDS, last update on 23.06.2022.

BadDancer
Last night I dreamt I was back in the '80s...
Anyone who is familiar with this phrase stolen from Daphne du Murier may remember, as the protagonist of the Hitchcock classic Rebecca remarks, how wonderful it would be if beautiful moments, like perfumes, could be bottled to bring them out occasionally and relive those moments. And yes, you can! Jil Sanders Man 3, my favourite fragrance of all time, immediately transports me back to this carefree, light-hearted decade, in front of mobile phones and YouTube, where everything still seemed possible! Like no other fragrance, neither artificial nor natural, Man 3 represents my teenage years! Not that I wanted to be that age again, but this unrivaled, never covered fragrance represents everything that was good and exciting in this period of my life.

After Sanders Man Pure it was the second EdT I ever owned. An absolutely unique fragrance that I have worn for years, that was always two steps ahead of me and that everyone who knew me associated with me. I definitely don't belong to that sniffing nose that can still smell out the perfumer's favourite chewing gum brand. For me, only the result counts, that is, do I like or dislike it, as well as the fact that you can't smell the respective scent on every second Stefan Schneckenschiss, like Cool water, for example. In itself not a fundamentally bad scent, which was, however, already completely over-stimulated 20 years ago!
The green herb water never was! While Cool water was as present for decades as toilet stones in the 70s, I hardly know a handful of people who ever used Man 3. Such an extraordinary scent that I could never put into words. Or could I? Cool, superficial, not too deep and yet promising and mysterious. Nowadays at least 50% of all men's fragrances smell like mediocre imitations of French originals. It is not easy to find something special. Even in the price range from 100 Euros on, originality is not necessarily the order of the day - I've already tried a lot. And yet I still lament this unique eau de toilette, which like no other embodies the cool, all-possible atmosphere of the decade of Grace Jones, Frankie goes to Hollywood, UFO jeans and polo shirts.

Fortunately, this chemical bomb is remarkably time-resistant, so every now and then I take my last remaining sample out of the fridge, drip some on my arm and take a little trip into the 80s! Wild boys always shine... ;-) Thanks for the memories, Mrs. Sander.
Distinctive carefree flair
First of all, one can perceive an intense aromatic, slightly sweet juniper-like note, which gives the top note a fine masculine aura and is due to the mugwort.

At the same time, the mugwort combines with a Mediterranean, slightly herbaceous note to form a whole, which brings with it a fine soapy, cleanly creamy aspect and comes from lavender.

These two notes are accompanied by a different aromatic nuance, which has a deep spicy tone and gives the top note a certain distinctive character and stems from the coriander.

In the background, a very subtle citric, slightly herbaceous shade rounds off the top note wonderfully, which in my opinion is responsible for the fact that the top note gets a nice freshness and is due to the bergamot.

In the entire top note an ethereal, slightly sweetish herbaceous nuance is perceptible, whereby I must say that I feel more fitting and the top note gives a nice casualness and I have typed on sage instead of rosemary.

This constellation is perceptible on my skin for 20 minutes before the heart note unfolds.

In the heart note, a fine, but dark, sweet, fruity plum and cherry-like note can be perceived, which brings a deep, distinctive spice and comes from the fruits and the carnation.

These two notes are accompanied by another fruity nuance, more aromatic, softer and more berry, with a nice accent and a juniper note.

In the background there is a light, almost transparent, light pink hint, which gives the fragrance a pleasant lightness and I suspect the Bulgarian rose here.

The entire heart note is enveloped in a powerful, herbal-looking note, which gives the heart note a wonderful carefree flair and is due to the thyme.

The heart note is perceptible on my skin for 4 hours before the base asserts itself.

Now an enlightening, almost shimmering floating mossy note can be perceived, which has a strong resinous touch and comes from the moss in combination with incense.

These two notes are accompanied by a delicate creamy note, which gives the base a nice soft, cuddly aura and comes from sandalwood.

In the background, the discreet earthy and slightly sweet note of the patchouli and the soft wooden nuance of the cedar wood ensure a pleasant finish.

The whole base is surrounded by a beautiful clear and pure note, without reminding of freshly washed laundry, rather I am of the opinion that the musk has been used to make the base appear pleasantly greasy bright.

In total, the fragrance lasts 7.5 hours on my skin.

The Sillage is designed from the outset to be perceived well on a whole arm's length and this is also maintained for 3 hours before it is reduced in quiet steps until the fragrance finally completely fades away.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our perfume "Zirkeltanz" for the vintage miniature.
Back in...
...when I was little, 1987, I was created by perfumers on behalf of my mother, a fashion designer from Hamburg and was allowed to dress some men olfactory. Many loved me, even worshipped me, some liked me quite well, others rather less. Whatever, you can't please everyone.

Until the late 90's, even into the 2000's, the gentlemen carried me with good taste, there are said to have been women who liked me, not only when man put on the scent of the daily shave, but also on the skin of the ladies I was carried. What's the matter with you? Because I was good, because I smelled like a flowering meadow, with viiiel green, oh yes, and citric of course. I didn't lack spices either. My top note held a felt eternity and even the rest of me you could sniff out for a long time!

We now write the year 2018.
What has become of me now? And how is my grandfather and father, Man Pure and Man II? Meanwhile, they're all grieving, just like me. I was as down-to-earth as my ancestors were.

Also my children, Feeling man and Background were very popular, many talked so good about them, for some they were too sweet, understandable for the education of their ancestors... they were just so cute!
The following years were turbulent, the 90s, everything in upheaval. End of the 90s then the birth of my grandchildren, Sander for men and early 2000 Sun Men. It all started with them, it slowly went downhill, you could feel that. Busy, spoiled brats, no more reasonable education and no longer know where they want to go, whom they want to please.
Just there, they're gone again... later on their descendants, Servus i bims, Strictly and Ultrasense,
yes exactly, SENSE, I thought so too.

Even the cries for help of my uncle (2008), Scent 79 and the brother of my uncle Scent 79 (2012) were of no use, they were made mouth-dead. The young rascals now have that to say and that makes me sad. Well, welcome to the New Age, I'm just saying
From time to time I meet my best buddies Caesars men cologne and Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green and we have a drink to the good old days.

And if they haven't died, they live on ebay for 5 times the price to fall into lover hands willing to pay.

Late 1980's oddities
Jil Sander Man III opens with a bold, mouthwash-like pine & leaves accord, rather astringent and minty but mossy too, with pungent spices (cloves and juniper) on a smoky, woody, dark base made denser and almost “oily” by a peculiar accord of soapy notes (rose), amber, resins, something sweetish-dusty halfway sandalwood and candied fruits, something salty-camphorous smelling like ambergris. Musky nuances and earthy patchouli blend with the leafy-pine notes. This is a really complex and peculiar scent: it’s green, but a unique kind of green – medicinal, dark, spicy, brownish, kind of decadent, with a smoky-dirty darkness that provides a musky-leathery feel. Plus, if that wasn’t enough, there’s a sweet-fruity-resinous warm breeze coming and going. A rich scent for sure, quite creative too, trying to put together a lot of inspirations: leathery fougères, musky chypres, woody-soapy barbershop aftershaves, fruity-resinous Orientals, with a sprinkle of classic low-cost “piney” colognes... all mixed together, with a hint of warm, sweet, candied floral exoticism. A bit tacky perhaps, but interesting. The evolution is pleasant and makes Man III smell more and more woody, dark, leaving behind the piney green “mouthwash” freshness and tending more towards mellow, velvety notes of wood, patchouli and soapy “barbershop” notes. It gets somehow less confused and more focused on a classic green-rose woody fougère, which is good. The fil rouge with the initial stages is basically cloves, resins, oak moss and juniper. Now, this is quite challenging to “judge”: it’s undoubtedly a bit outdated, and perhaps a bit confused and flashy (it’s German, it was the 1990s....), and finally it may seem just a sort of clumsy German clone of some Pino Silvestre; but it’s not (only) that. There’s something more mysterious and intriguing lying in this nearly-messy concoction. Despite I wouldn’t wear this that much, I find its complexity fascinating, unusual and highly modern – Bourdon made this, after all. Not memorable, but worthy a try if you can find it!

7/10

Einfach cool:) nach wie vor ein klasse Duft! Davon hab ich vor 20 Jahren einige Flakons geleert:-)
by Lilienfeld
eigenwillig herbe Grüne - Jil Sander Man III (1987)
by Parma
by Taurus1967
by Taurus1967

Popular by Jil Sander

Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman III (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (1989) / Feeling Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander Woman Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman Two by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée Intense) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Jil (1997) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Sport Water by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander