Sander for Men (1998) Eau de Toilette

Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design: Fabien Baron

Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesIvy, Mint, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Cardamom, Coriander, Nutmeg, Pepper
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cedar, Cypress

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.11.2019

Wupstaler
A great companion quietly says goodbye
The treasure hunter's beautiful commentary on Jil Sander for Men inspired me to express my feelings about this long-time companion here. The feeling prevailing in me is above all sadness or perhaps melancholy is more true. I met Jil Sander for Men at the end of the 90s in a turbulent period of my life, which brought many big changes in my life. I was pretty jumpy so far and tried out a lot. This related to life in general, and to my external image including the fragrance identity in particular. Sometimes it was Davidoff's Cool Water, sometimes the much too sweet Joop homme, and also Nightflight was used. So really convince or should I write could bind me none of the then current fragrances.

Jil Sander for Men was also a bit sceptical at first. I received a bottle as a tip from a grateful customer whom I was able to help. The man was a perfume salesman and his car didn't want to work as he imagined it would I carefully sniffed at a sample splash on the back of my hand, and didn't know whether I should like the scent or not at first.
On Friday evening after the shower I decided to try the fragrance out on the train through the nightlife, and what can I say, it hails compliments on my fragrance.
From then on Jil was my constant companion, probably the only woman in my life who was always close at hand, and no jealousy dramas but well-being with other ladies triggered. In the course of time I immersed myself deeper and deeper into Jil's world of fragrance, completing the Edt with shower gel, deodorant and aftershave. So equipped I got to know my later wife, who could not stop sniffing at me intensively even after many years!
A few years later we went as a quartet (my wife with Angel, and I with Jil) to the USA for some time, and I also received there many intensive symphony expressions for "my" fragrance, which seemed completely unknown especially in the south of the states. An unforgettable moment for me was, for example, entering an Eddie Bauer store in Florida, where I passed a very attractive saleswoman and she called after me, wow "Sweetheart, you smell great today. I need to know, what it is".

But nothing lasts forever, and after many years of Jil Sander for Men and me belonging together, the shocking news came. Jil Sander had sold your company, I believe Prada, and shortly afterwards the fragrance line "for Men" was to be discontinued. I gathered what I could get at my regular perfumery, had other stores in Germany send me what was still available, and was stocked for years afterwards. Unfortunately the supply did not last until the end of my life, and was used up sometime.
Today's purchases of the fragrance line, especially of deodorant, shower gel and aftershave, require a lot of research and sometimes cost a small fortune to get an original.
I also have the perhaps subjective impression that the fragrance has dramatically lost its identity and durability. But I also noticed this impression with another already mentioned confidante, namely with the then also popular ladies scent Angel, but that's another story.

It is written here that at least Edt would still be produced, but if that is the case, I assume that the qualities don't reach the level of before, maybe you can illustrate and compare it with Coke and Coke Classic. But maybe this almost egocentric fragrance in original quality will someday, somehow, somebody bring it back, and then I would have something of the retro hype.

Finally I would like to thank Jil Sander and Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud for a great companion through life.
5.0 7.0 7.0 4.0/10

Ivy cucumber
Even if the scent didn't make it for me, at least the Clickbait has made it here!
;-)
I'm sorry - but this smell doesn't work (at least for me) at all!
Although the basic DNA is really great: subtle sweetness and spice, full-bodied, not synthetic and quite long-lasting. E i g e n t l i c h a good fragrance.
But why the fuck is that ivy in there??
So at least I think it's the ivy...? Basically I think the idea with the ivy is super, because you don't read this ingredient sooo often.
But apparently ivy smells like cucumber!? And in such a way that it becomes unbearable at some point!!
Already with the first sprayer I smell the cucumber (i.e. the ivy) extremely out. Then I thought to myself: this will get better, this will get better. It's going to go away again. After all, it's only indicated in the top note.
Think I just can't get rid of the cucumber smell. Even after 5 hours only cucumber, cucumber, cucumber!
Only if I go very close to the back of my hand, I can sniff out the good base.
So you could say: base: good, head: cucumber - rather bad! Unfortunately, the "head" is not lost, i.e. it is up to the base in the foreground.
As I said: this is only my subjective opinion!
Of course I checked the pyramid right away - but: no cucumber available?
In my olfactory ignorance I conclude: it can only be about ivy...
If it is different, I would like to ask for correction!
But now I have been quick to wake up: there is an ivy cucumber in Southeast Asia. Maybe this one slipped in for cost reasons (Asia..., understand?)?
Basically I love the smell of well made cucumber salad! When I come home and my wonderful wife has prepared a cucumber salad again in our kitchen, I can already smell it at the entrance. And the smell is just ingeniously good, extremely strong and lets the water run in your mouth!
But cucumber in a perfume?
NEVER EVER!
Even if the price of the 125ml-EdT is more than favourable, it must leave me again...
Since the base comes across quite well as I said, I agree with myself on well-intentioned 40%...

I think I'm gonna go get myself a cucumber salad...
Hari
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

A wonderful all-rounder
Since I have had this fragrance for a long, long time, there must now be a comment. Especially since I just bought 125ml today for 16€, that's value for money! Sander for men has been with me for 20 years now, I keep coming back to him and I am glad that he still exists. SFM is an absolute all-rounder, it works just as well at work as in the evening. Initially there is a fresh and bitter note, hard to describe what is predominant, but mint and ivy are good, the cinnamon I smell only conditionally. A cool, modern fragrance, more suitable for autumn or winter. Long lasting Sillage, the scent hardly changes, perhaps becomes a little warmer with time. I still like him very much after all these years! Oh yes, the bottle is a bit unwieldy, but still chic. Clear line and appears somewhat cool. Fits like a fist auf´s Eye to content!

Nondescript boredom
By far the dullest Jil Sander masculine scent ever for me. It smells literally like a couple of really basic and bland aromachemicals thrown and stirred in a bottle, the same kind of stuff you can find in any masculine sport-woody deodorant. Beyond generic, a true nowhere in a bottle. No direction, no inspiration, “nondescript” to say the least as other reviewers already stated. I am sorry to say that since I’ve always found Jil Sander scents much underrated, and I am usually quite a big fan of the brand, but there’s surely way better among their offerings – actually almost anything’s better than this in my opinion. As regards of the smell, notes speak for themselves and there’s not much to add for me, just imagine them in the most boring and unsubstantial rendition possible: a cheap woody-peppery-herbal scent with a bold, pungent synthetic feel and a sort of far background similarity with herbal-aquatic scents like Rochas Aquaman or Lanvin Oxygene – a distant echo tortured and buried under a drugstore mess of cheap woody aromachemicals. Meh...

4,5-5/10
8.0/10

Scentemental
Hard to Describe, But I Love it!
Sander for Men is a fragrance that makes me keep sniffing the back of my wrist whenever I apply it. I find it hard to describe the fragrance, and as such it is intriguing. There is a crisp green pepperiness which is rather subtle and augmented by aromatic spicy notes. I never really detected mint in this as is when I think of mint I imagine something like a Tic Tac. Then I thought of XS by Paco Rabanne. It has a crisp, cool refreshing aspect to it that I detect in Sander for Men. It makes a great anytime cologne and is well worth the small price it sells for.

Elysium 6 months ago
Love at first sight needs no introduction but if I tell you about falling in love at first whiff, would you believe me? So leafy, fresh, wet+1
Carlitos01 6 months ago
A fresh & spicy pleasing scent with some woody and forestry facets and a bit of sweetness. Very versatile for gym, office and daily wear.+2
6.0

by Michael
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Jil Sander

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Eve by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Sensual Jil by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sport for Women by Jil Sander Pure by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander