Sander for Men 1998Eau de Toilette

Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesIvy, Mint, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Cardamom, Coriander, Nutmeg, Pepper
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanum, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cedar, Cypress

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 03.11.2020.

1.5

Rquill67
Move along.... nothing to see here...
There's nothing great about this fragrance. It's your typical mass-market DNA. It's soapy, cloying and powdery. There's no real character. It's linear for sure. I blind-bought this one based upon a few reviews here on-line. It was only $25 bucks, so you get what you pay for I guess. lol
Wupstaler
A great companion quietly says goodbye
The treasure hunter's beautiful commentary on Jil Sander for Men inspired me to express my feelings about this long-time companion here. The feeling prevailing in me is above all sadness or perhaps melancholy is more true. I met Jil Sander for Men at the end of the 90s in a turbulent period of my life, which brought many big changes in my life. I was pretty jumpy so far and tried out a lot. This related to life in general, and to my external image including the fragrance identity in particular. Sometimes it was Davidoff's Cool Water, sometimes the much too sweet Joop homme, and also Nightflight was used. So really convince or should I write could bind me none of the then current fragrances.

Jil Sander for Men was also a bit sceptical at first. I received a bottle as a tip from a grateful customer whom I was able to help. The man was a perfume salesman and his car didn't want to work as he imagined it would I carefully sniffed at a sample splash on the back of my hand, and didn't know whether I should like the scent or not at first.
On Friday evening after the shower I decided to try the fragrance out on the train through the nightlife, and what can I say, it hails compliments on my fragrance.
From then on Jil was my constant companion, probably the only woman in my life who was always close at hand, and no jealousy dramas but well-being with other ladies triggered. In the course of time I immersed myself deeper and deeper into Jil's world of fragrance, completing the Edt with shower gel, deodorant and aftershave. So equipped I got to know my later wife, who could not stop sniffing at me intensively even after many years!
A few years later we went as a quartet (my wife with Angel, and I with Jil) to the USA for some time, and I also received there many intensive symphony expressions for "my" fragrance, which seemed completely unknown especially in the south of the states. An unforgettable moment for me was, for example, entering an Eddie Bauer store in Florida, where I passed a very attractive saleswoman and she called after me, wow "Sweetheart, you smell great today. I need to know, what it is".

But nothing lasts forever, and after many years of Jil Sander for Men and me belonging together, the shocking news came. Jil Sander had sold your company, I believe Prada, and shortly afterwards the fragrance line "for Men" was to be discontinued. I gathered what I could get at my regular perfumery, had other stores in Germany send me what was still available, and was stocked for years afterwards. Unfortunately the supply did not last until the end of my life, and was used up sometime.
Today's purchases of the fragrance line, especially of deodorant, shower gel and aftershave, require a lot of research and sometimes cost a small fortune to get an original.
I also have the perhaps subjective impression that the fragrance has dramatically lost its identity and durability. But I also noticed this impression with another already mentioned confidante, namely with the then also popular ladies scent Angel, but that's another story.

It is written here that at least Edt would still be produced, but if that is the case, I assume that the qualities don't reach the level of before, maybe you can illustrate and compare it with Coke and Coke Classic. But maybe this almost egocentric fragrance in original quality will someday, somehow, somebody bring it back, and then I would have something of the retro hype.

Finally I would like to thank Jil Sander and Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud for a great companion through life.
SchatzSucher
How to get scents from time to time.
After the first spring-like days of this year, we all could hardly keep ourselves within our four walls. Out into the fresh air, shake off the winter muff and let the sun shine on us a little. Oh wonderful...
One could forget that it is only February and actually still unusually early in the year for such a spring breakout. But no year is like the other and nothing is as difficult to predict as the weather. 5 different forecasts and none of them is really true afterwards.

But there are also certain constants, which sometimes provide a certain balance and necessary grounding even over several years.
So I had the great need to wear the charming Sander for Men again.
I have known this fine and calm scent for a long time and I like to wear it when winter is slowly saying goodbye and the daytime temperatures gradually settle down again in the double-digit range or in autumn when it is not quite cold yet.
It comes into its own best in the transitional seasons.
I met Sander for Men about 20 years ago on the suburban train on my way to work. If you ride the same route at the same time every day, you'll meet the same people over and over again. You greet each other at some point, you get into conversation, you have a friendly chat about this and that.
And at some point I noticed this nice, pleasant scent. Of course I had to ask It had just been bought fresh a few days ago, after a sample had been so convincing, I was told, delighted with the compliment From Jil Sander, aha. The name was of course a household name to me, fashion designer, some outstanding fragrances in the ladies and gentlemen segment.
And this one was still new in the assortment.

I really liked this spicy fresh start with cool mint, cinnamon and this herb green ivy note. The coolness stands out especially Spicy it goes on, one has used some aromatic spices, but single components are difficult to smell. The whole, however, seems very harmonious and consistent. Although these spices otherwise provide warmth, the cool undertone remains present the whole time.
Even towards the base, when some woody aspects become apparent, it remains cool.
A light sweetness also floats along, but it is not too strong and does not kill anyone. The fragrance surrounds the wearer with an all around cultivated and pleasant aura.

The shelf life of about 5 hours is not the very best, but with the now extremely low prices you can spray on. And since I like the scent very much, I consider it forgivable.
The fragrance does not spread an immense veil around itself and is therefore ideally suited for the office. No one will take offence at the beautifully balanced combination Sander for Men is also a nice, unexcited leisure companion. Jeans or a suit fit equally well.

The spirits are divided over the bottle. I own the 125 ml size and it's barely manageable. But the somewhat clumsy block should not be bigger Basically I find the bevelled simple design however successful and fits the Jil-Sander understatement.

Because of the cool undertone I find the fragrance less suitable for winter, as it might get a little drowned. A little warmer weather definitely does him good.
Certainly, in the course of the reformulation mania, one has already made a mistake with Sander for Men, but he survived without major damage, you can still recognize the scent in any case. It may have lasted a little longer in the past. But apart from that I can't discover anything else that could be detrimental In any case, I am happy that I have made this discovery and that this beautiful fragrance has made it into the 21st century.
I don't know what happened to the friendly acquaintance. At some point I changed jobs and no longer needed a train.
Ivy cucumber
Even if the scent didn't make it for me, at least the Clickbait has made it here!
;-)
I'm sorry - but this smell doesn't work (at least for me) at all!
Although the basic DNA is really great: subtle sweetness and spice, full-bodied, not synthetic and quite long-lasting. E i g e n t l i c h a good fragrance.
But why the fuck is that ivy in there??
So at least I think it's the ivy...? Basically I think the idea with the ivy is super, because you don't read this ingredient sooo often.
But apparently ivy smells like cucumber!? And in such a way that it becomes unbearable at some point!!
Already with the first sprayer I smell the cucumber (i.e. the ivy) extremely out. Then I thought to myself: this will get better, this will get better. It's going to go away again. After all, it's only indicated in the top note.
Think I just can't get rid of the cucumber smell. Even after 5 hours only cucumber, cucumber, cucumber!
Only if I go very close to the back of my hand, I can sniff out the good base.
So you could say: base: good, head: cucumber - rather bad! Unfortunately, the "head" is not lost, i.e. it is up to the base in the foreground.
As I said: this is only my subjective opinion!
Of course I checked the pyramid right away - but: no cucumber available?
In my olfactory ignorance I conclude: it can only be about ivy...
If it is different, I would like to ask for correction!
But now I have been quick to wake up: there is an ivy cucumber in Southeast Asia. Maybe this one slipped in for cost reasons (Asia..., understand?)?
Basically I love the smell of well made cucumber salad! When I come home and my wonderful wife has prepared a cucumber salad again in our kitchen, I can already smell it at the entrance. And the smell is just ingeniously good, extremely strong and lets the water run in your mouth!
But cucumber in a perfume?
NEVER EVER!
Even if the price of the 125ml-EdT is more than favourable, it must leave me again...
Since the base comes across quite well as I said, I agree with myself on well-intentioned 40%...

I think I'm gonna go get myself a cucumber salad...
Hari
A wonderful all-rounder
Since I have had this fragrance for a long, long time, there must now be a comment. Especially since I just bought 125ml today for 16€, that's value for money! Sander for men has been with me for 20 years now, I keep coming back to him and I am glad that he still exists. SFM is an absolute all-rounder, it works just as well at work as in the evening. Initially there is a fresh and bitter note, hard to describe what is predominant, but mint and ivy are good, the cinnamon I smell only conditionally. A cool, modern fragrance, more suitable for autumn or winter. Long lasting Sillage, the scent hardly changes, perhaps becomes a little warmer with time. I still like him very much after all these years! Oh yes, the bottle is a bit unwieldy, but still chic. Clear line and appears somewhat cool. Fits like a fist auf´s Eye to content!
Twenty years together
I remember it like it was yesterday. Me, just about 20, looking for a new scent. Maybe it was even
THE first one in adulthood, after I - you won't believe it - had myself given ANTAEUS for Christmas once when I was perhaps 12 :-).

Since I wanted to be surprised, I sent my mother to the perfumery. "Bring me BOSS'. ...or something like that... ." When my mother came home with the bag, I couldn't wait to unpack the good stuff. But what was - at first, to my disappointment - NOT inside? BOSS Bottled from the commercial
I asked for clarification. "The lady at the perfumery said that the one from BOSS is more for older men, the one here from Jil Sander is much better!"

Well, it's my own fault, I thought, could have given clearer instructions. But then... wonderful! And so completely different from what I had smelled until then. I will spare myself detailed descriptions of fragrances here, others are much better at that. For me, the fragrance basically starts the way it ends. I can't really make out a significant development in different phases...well, in the end it is much gentler and creamier than in the beginning. You must have smelled it, this unusual freshness, spicy and yet light, going into the transparent, yet very distinctive and somehow...modern.

Yes, I find this fragrance modern, even though it has been around for 20 years. If I only had one attribute available, that would be it. Urban, another buzzword, would also be a good association, I think.

For me, Sander for Men is a fragrance that is still wearable today and probably will be in ten years' time. It's basically a fragrance for men from 18 to 88, and has earned me a number of compliments over the past few years, while I usually wonder where some people get the many compliments they always talk about in their YouTube videos. Anyway, it's probably me.

Besides, it is the only fragrance my wife - a declared perfume opponent - loves about me. And what could be a better compliment for a fragrance than this.
Klaerchen
Does this still go in a bottle?
In which task are your chances of success higher? Wearing a perfume in the office that doesn't bother any of your work colleagues, or balancing on a wire rope over a volcano while playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on a double bass?

I'd go with the second option. But it also depends on whether this is an active volcano.

Most people think, "What is this guy talking about? I have really nice colleagues. None of them have ever bothered about my scent choices." But is that really true? Of course, in Germany you rarely go up to a person and say " you stink" to their face, but did you still notice the subtle signs? Turning up your nose, spontaneous airing (even at sub-zero temperatures), suppressed gagging.

If your colleagues show these symptoms, it could indicate that they do not like your perfume, or that the last time you were in the shower was on leap year and you have an unhealthy affinity for garlic. Let's start with the former. Doing what? Give up perfume? No way!

We find the solution here: Sander for Men. Seldom has a fragrance screamed so much for "office fragrance". Maybe it's a bit simple, predictable and boring, but that suits us men. The top note is minty fresh and invigorating. I have never smelled a more mass-market opening. Later it becomes slightly peppery and cardamom joins in. Most likely you won't fall in love with the scent, but nevertheless it will be pleasantly noticed by almost everyone. At the same time it has a pleasantly subtle sillage and a nice durability. But the biggest plus point is probably the price. I paid about 25€ for 125ml. Maybe it would be worth a look or blind purchase.

But now for the biggest disadvantage: the bottle is unwieldy. And I mean really cumbersome. The thing is not only ugly as the night, but also a perversion for friends of ergonomics. Who the hell came up with that? The size at 125ml isn't exactly conducive either. You can't get a good grip at all and the spray head is also stupidly attached. The cap is as big as the bottle! I always hide it in the back of the bathroom so that nobody can question my great taste.

Conclusion:
- Great office scent, which should please almost everyone or nobody should notice it negatively
- Top price, pleasant durability, suitable Sillage
- What's that bottle?

Nondescript boredom
By far the dullest Jil Sander masculine scent ever for me. It smells literally like a couple of really basic and bland aromachemicals thrown and stirred in a bottle, the same kind of stuff you can find in any masculine sport-woody deodorant. Beyond generic, a true nowhere in a bottle. No direction, no inspiration, “nondescript” to say the least as other reviewers already stated. I am sorry to say that since I’ve always found Jil Sander scents much underrated, and I am usually quite a big fan of the brand, but there’s surely way better among their offerings – actually almost anything’s better than this in my opinion. As regards of the smell, notes speak for themselves and there’s not much to add for me, just imagine them in the most boring and unsubstantial rendition possible: a cheap woody-peppery-herbal scent with a bold, pungent synthetic feel and a sort of far background similarity with herbal-aquatic scents like Rochas Aquaman or Lanvin Oxygene – a distant echo tortured and buried under a drugstore mess of cheap woody aromachemicals. Meh...

4,5-5/10

Scentemental
Hard to Describe, But I Love it!
Sander for Men is a fragrance that makes me keep sniffing the back of my wrist whenever I apply it. I find it hard to describe the fragrance, and as such it is intriguing. There is a crisp green pepperiness which is rather subtle and augmented by aromatic spicy notes. I never really detected mint in this as is when I think of mint I imagine something like a Tic Tac. Then I thought of XS by Paco Rabanne. It has a crisp, cool refreshing aspect to it that I detect in Sander for Men. It makes a great anytime cologne and is well worth the small price it sells for.

ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Love at first sight needs no introduction but if I tell you about falling in love at first whiff, would you believe me? So leafy, fresh, wet
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
A fresh & spicy pleasing scent with some woody and forestry facets and a bit of sweetness. Very versatile for gym, office and daily wear.

by Joseph89
by KalliHannoi
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Jil Sander

Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (1989) / Feeling Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman III (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander Woman Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Woman Two by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Sport Water by Jil Sander Man Two / Men Two (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil (1997) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander