Sander for Men 1998 Eau de Toilette

Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
7.4 / 10 265 Ratings
Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 1998. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still available to purchase.
Top Notes Top Notes IvyIvy MintMint CinnamonCinnamon
Heart Notes Heart Notes CloveClove CardamomCardamom CorianderCoriander NutmegNutmeg PepperPepper
Base Notes Base Notes LabdanumLabdanum SandalwoodSandalwood TobaccoTobacco CedarCedar CypressCypress
Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.11.2022.

3 in-depth fragrance descriptions
1.5

Less helpful Review 0
Move along.... nothing to see here...
There's nothing great about this fragrance. It's your typical mass-market DNA. It's soapy, cloying and powdery. There's no real character. It's linear for sure. I blind-bought this one based upon a few reviews here on-line. It was only $25 bucks, so you get what you pay for I guess. lol
Very helpful Review 15
A great companion quietly says goodbye
The treasure hunter's beautiful commentary on Jil Sander for Men inspired me to express my feelings about this long-time companion here. The feeling prevailing in me is above all sadness or perhaps melancholy is more true. I met Jil Sander for Men at the end of the 90s in a turbulent period of my life, which brought many big changes in my life. I was pretty jumpy so far and tried out a lot. This related to life in general, and to my external image including the fragrance identity in particular. Sometimes it was Davidoff's Cool Water, sometimes the much too sweet Joop homme, and also Nightflight was used. So really convince or should I write could bind me none of the then current fragrances.

Jil Sander for Men was also a bit sceptical at first. I received a bottle as a tip from a grateful customer whom I was able to help. The man was a perfume salesman and his car didn't want to work as he imagined it would I carefully sniffed at a sample splash on the back of my hand, and didn't know whether I should like the scent or not at first.
On Friday evening after the shower I decided to try the fragrance out on the train through the nightlife, and what can I say, it hails compliments on my fragrance.
From then on Jil was my constant companion, probably the only woman in my life who was always close at hand, and no jealousy dramas but well-being with other ladies triggered. In the course of time I immersed myself deeper and deeper into Jil's world of fragrance, completing the Edt with shower gel, deodorant and aftershave. So equipped I got to know my later wife, who could not stop sniffing at me intensively even after many years!
A few years later we went as a quartet (my wife with Angel, and I with Jil) to the USA for some time, and I also received there many intensive symphony expressions for "my" fragrance, which seemed completely unknown especially in the south of the states. An unforgettable moment for me was, for example, entering an Eddie Bauer store in Florida, where I passed a very attractive saleswoman and she called after me, wow "Sweetheart, you smell great today. I need to know, what it is".

But nothing lasts forever, and after many years of Jil Sander for Men and me belonging together, the shocking news came. Jil Sander had sold your company, I believe Prada, and shortly afterwards the fragrance line "for Men" was to be discontinued. I gathered what I could get at my regular perfumery, had other stores in Germany send me what was still available, and was stocked for years afterwards. Unfortunately the supply did not last until the end of my life, and was used up sometime.
Today's purchases of the fragrance line, especially of deodorant, shower gel and aftershave, require a lot of research and sometimes cost a small fortune to get an original.
I also have the perhaps subjective impression that the fragrance has dramatically lost its identity and durability. But I also noticed this impression with another already mentioned confidante, namely with the then also popular ladies scent Angel, but that's another story.

It is written here that at least Edt would still be produced, but if that is the case, I assume that the qualities don't reach the level of before, maybe you can illustrate and compare it with Coke and Coke Classic. But maybe this almost egocentric fragrance in original quality will someday, somehow, somebody bring it back, and then I would have something of the retro hype.

Finally I would like to thank Jil Sander and Jacques Cavallier-Belletrud for a great companion through life.
Top Review 24
How to get scents from time to time.
After the first spring-like days of this year, we all could hardly keep ourselves within our four walls. Out into the fresh air, shake off the winter muff and let the sun shine on us a little. Oh wonderful...
One could forget that it is only February and actually still unusually early in the year for such a spring breakout. But no year is like the other and nothing is as difficult to predict as the weather. 5 different forecasts and none of them is really true afterwards.

But there are also certain constants, which sometimes provide a certain balance and necessary grounding even over several years.
So I had the great need to wear the charming Sander for Men again.
I have known this fine and calm scent for a long time and I like to wear it when winter is slowly saying goodbye and the daytime temperatures gradually settle down again in the double-digit range or in autumn when it is not quite cold yet.
It comes into its own best in the transitional seasons.
I met Sander for Men about 20 years ago on the suburban train on my way to work. If you ride the same route at the same time every day, you'll meet the same people over and over again. You greet each other at some point, you get into conversation, you have a friendly chat about this and that.
And at some point I noticed this nice, pleasant scent. Of course I had to ask It had just been bought fresh a few days ago, after a sample had been so convincing, I was told, delighted with the compliment From Jil Sander, aha. The name was of course a household name to me, fashion designer, some outstanding fragrances in the ladies and gentlemen segment.
And this one was still new in the assortment.

I really liked this spicy fresh start with cool mint, cinnamon and this herb green ivy note. The coolness stands out especially Spicy it goes on, one has used some aromatic spices, but single components are difficult to smell. The whole, however, seems very harmonious and consistent. Although these spices otherwise provide warmth, the cool undertone remains present the whole time.
Even towards the base, when some woody aspects become apparent, it remains cool.
A light sweetness also floats along, but it is not too strong and does not kill anyone. The fragrance surrounds the wearer with an all around cultivated and pleasant aura.

The shelf life of about 5 hours is not the very best, but with the now extremely low prices you can spray on. And since I like the scent very much, I consider it forgivable.
The fragrance does not spread an immense veil around itself and is therefore ideally suited for the office. No one will take offence at the beautifully balanced combination Sander for Men is also a nice, unexcited leisure companion. Jeans or a suit fit equally well.

The spirits are divided over the bottle. I own the 125 ml size and it's barely manageable. But the somewhat clumsy block should not be bigger Basically I find the bevelled simple design however successful and fits the Jil-Sander understatement.

Because of the cool undertone I find the fragrance less suitable for winter, as it might get a little drowned. A little warmer weather definitely does him good.
Certainly, in the course of the reformulation mania, one has already made a mistake with Sander for Men, but he survived without major damage, you can still recognize the scent in any case. It may have lasted a little longer in the past. But apart from that I can't discover anything else that could be detrimental In any case, I am happy that I have made this discovery and that this beautiful fragrance has made it into the 21st century.
I don't know what happened to the friendly acquaintance. At some point I changed jobs and no longer needed a train.
Ivy cucumber
Even if the scent didn't make it for me, at least the Clickbait has made it here!
;-)
I'm sorry - but this smell doesn't work (at least for me) at all!
Although the basic DNA is really great: subtle sweetness and spice, full-bodied, not synthetic and quite long-lasting. E i g e n t l i c h a good fragrance.
But why the fuck is that ivy in there??
So at least I think it's the ivy...? Basically I think the idea with the ivy is super, because you don't read this ingredient sooo often.
But apparently ivy smells like cucumber!? And in such a way that it becomes unbearable at some point!!
Already with the first sprayer I smell the cucumber (i.e. the ivy) extremely out. Then I thought to myself: this will get better, this will get better. It's going to go away again. After all, it's only indicated in the top note.
Think I just can't get rid of the cucumber smell. Even after 5 hours only cucumber, cucumber, cucumber!
Only if I go very close to the back of my hand, I can sniff out the good base.
So you could say: base: good, head: cucumber - rather bad! Unfortunately, the "head" is not lost, i.e. it is up to the base in the foreground.
As I said: this is only my subjective opinion!
Of course I checked the pyramid right away - but: no cucumber available?
In my olfactory ignorance I conclude: it can only be about ivy...
If it is different, I would like to ask for correction!
But now I have been quick to wake up: there is an ivy cucumber in Southeast Asia. Maybe this one slipped in for cost reasons (Asia..., understand?)?
Basically I love the smell of well made cucumber salad! When I come home and my wonderful wife has prepared a cucumber salad again in our kitchen, I can already smell it at the entrance. And the smell is just ingeniously good, extremely strong and lets the water run in your mouth!
But cucumber in a perfume?
NEVER EVER!
Even if the price of the 125ml-EdT is more than favourable, it must leave me again...
Since the base comes across quite well as I said, I agree with myself on well-intentioned 40%...

I think I'm gonna go get myself a cucumber salad...
Hari
Very helpful Review 8
A wonderful all-rounder
Since I have had this fragrance for a long, long time, there must now be a comment. Especially since I just bought 125ml today for 16€, that's value for money! Sander for men has been with me for 20 years now, I keep coming back to him and I am glad that he still exists. SFM is an absolute all-rounder, it works just as well at work as in the evening. Initially there is a fresh and bitter note, hard to describe what is predominant, but mint and ivy are good, the cinnamon I smell only conditionally. A cool, modern fragrance, more suitable for autumn or winter. Long lasting Sillage, the scent hardly changes, perhaps becomes a little warmer with time. I still like him very much after all these years! Oh yes, the bottle is a bit unwieldy, but still chic. Clear line and appears somewhat cool. Fits like a fist auf´s Eye to content!

2 short views on the fragrance
ElysiumElysium 4 years ago
Love at first sight needs no introduction but if I tell you about falling in love at first whiff, would you believe me? So leafy, fresh, wet
Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
A fresh & spicy pleasing scent with some woody and forestry facets and a bit of sweetness. Very versatile for gym, office and daily wear.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

14 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Jil Sander

Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (1989) / Feeling Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman III (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée Intense) by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Woman Two by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée) by Jil Sander Sport Water by Jil Sander Woman Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Man Two / Men Two (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Jil (1997) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander