Simply (2014) Eau de Parfum

Simply (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander

Simply (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Jil Sander for women and was released in 2014. The scent is floral-woody. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin, Violet leaf
Heart Notes Heart NotesViolet, Musk, Nutmeg, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Leather, Vanilla

Submitted by Michael, last update on 11.05.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is German model Toni Garrn, photographed by Josh Olins.

10.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

Uber-class
Yes, it reminds of Farhneit - which I wore for years - but it's a super, uber-chic feminine version of it.
Anyone looking for leather as in the most prominent note will be disappointed. Here is all about balance and accords.
The leather is just suave in the combo with an idyllic violet - I don't perceive leaves, just the flower in a fresh state. It does not remind of 'lipstick' or 'grandma' leather bag. The 'gasoline' vibe is not there either, but the subtle musk and spices are adorable.
I love of Simply that all notes can be detected, some as a caress - mandarin orange, patchouli, cedar - and others as a gentle sidekick to the main combo violet/leather. Subtle and classy. And the drydown is to die for!

This is definitely a scent that grows on people the more tries one gives to it.
It is not linear, it is not loud, it is not powedery - not.one.bit - or a power house, but in its own right is detectable, unique and sophisticated.
It's an outstander, way removed from the overly sweet gourmands and powdery roses out there.

I am simply in love with Simply! I started with buying the EDT, which is slightly sharper and more flowery, though not so long lived. Then along came the brume for the body and the EDP. I know I will not stop until I have the lot of the layering flankers too. Gotta to!
(This is now my new signature scent after 27 years of devotion to Angel. Talking of opposites and discoveries!)

*NOTE* the EDP is enhanced in a marvellous, incredible way by the brume for the body. I believe the brume has notes which are not listed in the fragrance, and I cannot put my finger on. Something which makes the main combo softer and creamier. The layering it's simply AMAZING!

11 out 10 from me, worth a try if you haven't yet reached

ElJosho
"I'm not a woman, but..."
In the shop, I suddenly found myself in the perfume department for ladies. Then the first saleswoman spotted me: "A man - looking for, in front of a shelf filled with women's fragrances?" He needs help!
But no, I knew exactly what I was looking for: Jil Sander Simply, the defused 'Fahrenheit', the scent sample I confiscated from my girlfriend when she last went shopping.
The salesgirl: "Well, what about the girlfriend?"
I lied to her: "Yes."

One could philosophize now: Do I smell like a woman now? Or do thousands of women smell like men now? No and no. Both sexes must be brave in this fragrance. But if you don't dare, you don't win. However, you won't find anything comparable in the strongly prototyped men's range. Unfortunately horny.

Not so simple after all
My third favorite Jil Sander fragrance, and I love ALMOST all Jil Sander frags. They are so warm and creamy for most part, very feminine. Not in a loud, but very confident way. They always draw compliments by both genders. German born myself, I wonder if they are especially perfect for German DNA or something like that. Or maybe they are just so me. I don't know what it is, but I feel more like myself with Jil on my skin. It is romance in a bottle with a touch of flirt. Today at the dentist my oral hygienist asked me what the beautiful perfume was that I was wearing, and she wrote it down to get it for herself. I so understand, because this is a real beauty!
7.5 5.0 2.5 5.0/10

Beige
Should you be craving the old Jil-Sander-style from the 80's (chypre), you'll be disappointed by this new composition which is not as sophisticated as the great Jil Sander classics (Jil Sander Woman III or the very first Jil Sander Woman Pure from 1979).

Nevertheless, this pleasant new 2014 scent is very easy to wear, it is a modern floral-woody fragrance with a leather note. Okay, the leather note included in the base is very tame, but it is there. I guess they didn't want a stronger accent in order to make the fragrance more commercially acceptable.
Then there is some cedar in "Simply Jil Sander"; the cedar is quite dry and accentuates the violet accord. Synthetic musks have been added, and together with tiny bits of vanilla, they produce a soft base.
Apart from the fresh top note (mandarine, bergamot), which is the best part of the fragrance, "Simply Jil Sander" avoids harsh, mossy or herbaceous, let alone indolic overtones. Once the top notes are gone, the scent smells okay in its own quiet way, but I think it is a trifle diffusive. In spite of the leather and the inclusion of violet, the structure seems flat: a huge overdose of high-impact top notes followed by low-key aromachemicals.
"Simplicity is best" - Jil Sander's underlying fashion concept would make a perfect leitmotiv for "Simply Jil Sander" - but unfortunately, the raw materials used seem of average quality and the concentration itself i.e. longevity is poor.
"Simply Jil Sander" feels like a restricted minimalist work which recalls just one colour: BEIGE.

by Blödel
by Blödel
by Pluto
by Pluto
by Monparfum
by Monparfum

Popular Jil Sander

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sensations by Jil Sander Eve by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Sensual Jil by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Pure by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Sport for Women by Jil Sander