Softly by Jil Sander

Softly is a popular perfume by Jil Sander for women and was released in 2017. The scent is fresh-powdery. It is being marketed by Coty.

Nathalie Lorson

Top Notes Top NotesGinger, Mountain magnolia, Cotton
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Orange blossom, Heliotrope
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Vanilla, Sandalwood

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 15.10.2019

The face of the advertising campaign is model Anna Selezneva.

3.0 5.0 8.5/10

FvSpee
This isn't what it looks like now!
It is a truism that is repeatedly mentioned in this forum that a fragrance - at least when we approach it in the form of blind samples under laboratory conditions - is defined not only by its bland smell (this applies not only to the evaluation, but even already to the perception), but also by its accidentals: the colour of the liquid, the shape of the bottle, the face of the advertising campaign, the declaration as "male" or "female", the name of the product and the image of the company. For those who want to take a closer look, the perfumer, the pyramid of scents (which often enough lays the wrong tracks!) and perhaps the comments of the pre-reviewers will be added.

For me "Softly" by Jil Sander is a case where you can study this wonderfully: 107 owners (among them many who have given themselves cute nicknames like flakes and pink clouds, which I don't have anything against, by the way, "flakes" I even like very much) are here and one (1) owner. You can understand that: The fragrance is declared as "women's fragrance", the pyramid with magnolia, jasmine, orange blossom and vanilla could not come along more fluffy and what is still held in suspension by colour and shape (after all no pink and no plush) then tips over by the name of the little water: "Softly"! What kind of guy wants to wear "Softly"! Unless he's a self-confessed softie. But even then he would probably only use the corresponding handkerchiefs.

But I'd like to bet that this fragrance from Nathalie Lorson's extraordinarily productive 200 creations (a full-grown Boucheron series, an Amouage, three Cool-Water Flankers, two Le Labos, a whole bunch of other Jil Sanders and, certainly, her most famous creation: Encre Noir) would reach a completely different clientele with a different name and marketing as "unisex".

"Softly" is what I perceive today, after several days of use in a row (from a bottling purchased in the souk), just as it was about 2 years ago, when I first tested it and wrote a statement about it: Neither particularly soft nor extremely feminine. First of all, any sweetness or sweetness is completely lacking in him, as is any exaggerated fluffness or fluffiness; the cashmeran warning lights all remain completely dark. Despite vanilla, orange blossom, jasmine and musk, this is definitely not a candyfloss smell.

This fragrance starts with a very likeable citrus freshness note (with an emphasis on orange) that is as far removed from colognic crystalline clarity as it is from fabric softener flattery. In addition, there is a slightly soapy note which may well remind you of (a very good) detergent. This is not a cuddly soft, but a scent like orange-fresh (even a little bit towards Petitgrain or even Neroli breathed on) cotton; like a shirt or T-shirt that someone once walked past with a high-quality Cologne sprayer. After only half an hour, "Softly" has already connected itself to the skin and is actually no longer a "perfume" (which is why I am not surprised that 108 owners do not have a "signature fragrance"), but a skin odour enhancer, an emanation booster: it lends an aura of freshness, friendliness and cleanliness, perhaps also of balance and tranquility - but not a papery sluggishness, but the kind of tranquility in which the strength lies. In this mode, where our fellow human beings will perceive us as "smelling good" without being sure whether we have applied anything at all, "Softly" will still last a few hours.

I'm pretty sure there's some work involved in creating a fragrance that's so effortless, unobtrusive and effortless. Certainly not a milestone in the history of perfumery, but more than just a solid one: a perfectly balanced, discreet and elegant fragrance brightener that is just as suitable for firefighters and tilers as for feathers and flakes.
8.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Aolani
The sky looks like freshly washed
The sentence was in Otfried Preußler's book "The Little Witch" - so I thought. It occurs to me when I leave the house early in the morning, the sky blue from the sky blue and small sheep clouds graze on the sky meadow. Then I am calm inside and full of silent anticipation for the day. In front of me there is the Little Witch with her raven and the girl with the paper flowers who made the Little Witch smell.
Every time the washing machine runs, the sentence comes to mind. The sound of the washing or dishwashing washing machine has always given me a feeling of home, of security. I sit in the nursery again and play while the washing machine is running. Softly reminds me of this sentence and of the sound of the washing machine with the quiet gurgling and chuckling and this being lifted up in the world.

The first test disappointed me. Immediately after spraying, Softly was too sharp for me and the top note too soapy.
I like the scent now. After several tests we have become friends. And there's something in Softly that might make me addicted.
First I notice the ginger - its refreshing spiciness goes well with the cotton note. It smells like dried laundry, which you take from the clothes horse and put together. I smell magnolia very softly.
Orange blossoms and jasmine immediately take over the direction. The heliotrope is very faintly visible to me. Over time, the fragrance becomes a little powdery and creamy and, above all, softer. And slightly sweet - but really only hinted at. Musk and sandalwood support the flowers and give it more depth. Strangely enough, even after several attempts, I can't spot the vanilla in the base note, although I love vanilla. Or can't I just smell it and it's the vanilla scent that could make me addicted?

Softly is an unusual fragrance. Something different. However, nothing for love at first spray.
With Softly I feel fresh and well-groomed even on sultry, hot summer days. Softly feels like a clean, white bed sheet. After this feeling, when you get out of the shower dripping wet and the water rolls off. After clean, but not unsexy. I'd like to take a bath in it. Unfortunately, the fragrance doesn't last as long as I wish.
The bottle is beautiful. It lies well and pleasantly heavy in the hand. The shape is balanced, almost perfect. Although the liquid in the bottle has the same colour as the cap, the light blue is not heavenly enough for me. Which brings us back to heaven. Oh yes - the sentence. I've been looking through the book. I didn't find that sentence. Maybe he's not in it like that. I don't need him anymore either. I got Softly now.

by MarieTheres
by Neroline
by SunEternity
by SunEternity

Popular Jil Sander

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Eve by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Sensual Jil by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sport for Women by Jil Sander Pure by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander