Sun Men 2002Eau de Toilette

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design Fabien Baron
Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-sweet. It is being marketed by Coty. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Calone, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrangipani, Cardamom, Musk, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Cedarwood

Submitted by Sani, last update on 20.11.2020.

Here we go again?
That's the first question that came to my mind when I took this guy for a test. Yeah, the typical "summery" note when you spray it on. Squeaky freshness, here underlined with a slightly tart spice, which is consistent in itself. Nothing is bitten in the course, nutmeg and cedar push Sun Men in a rather harsh direction, in the middle even a slightly musty undertone comes out, but it subsides again. Is that good? Well, certainly - but then a sweetness comes into play, not too penetrating, but still present, so that I immediately have to think of the vanilla-tonka boredom. But there's no way that stuff - so what's playing that sweet trick? I am at a loss
But where I am not at a loss is the fact that this is another one of those scents that I have tasted umpteen times and which not only bore me to death but slowly but surely start to have a repulsive effect.
Sun Men fits seamlessly into fragrances like Fan di Fendi, Lee Cooper's RDLC, O Boticarios Men Only and Montblanc's Presence: one a tad sweeter, another a tad apple-fruity, another leathery (the order does not match the similarities mentioned). If you like them and you have an alternative to the similarities mentioned, you can also have a look here, although it doesn't make much sense. It doesn't come close to classics like Jil Sander's masterpiece Background
MaxPower79
This is the smell of summer...
...just a little short, I'm afraid. For me still the summer scent par excellence, I get holiday feelings immediately. In my opinion it smells a little like high-quality sun cream with a shot of orange. I also find the flacon very successful. Unfortunately the performance is rather poor, but with the lowest price it's easy to get over it.
The fleeing summer
I first smelled this fragrance back in the gym. I was blown away. Light scent that reminded me very much of summer, sun, sea Then of course I went straight to the drugstore of my choice and tried out all the scents. It was hard to smell anything after a while.
At about the very end, however, I finally found what I was looking for.
Then I tried 2 sprayers on my wrist and then back to the office I had a sniff of it every now and then and was really positively surprised. So after work I went back and got a bottle of this.
I like these light scents in summer, which are not too heavy on you and annoy the environment.
This is what this fragrance gives off for me. Unfortunately I have to say that the durability as well as the sillage are rather meagre. Applied in the morning you can hardly notice this midday. Which I think is a pity, because the smell is really nice.
Just the right mix for fans of fresh and sweet fragrances. For all the others, other fragrances that last longer are more likely to come into question.
But for an evening walk or a visit to the cafe in the evening just the right thing.
Uncreative entry
My entry into the circle of perfume owners, and accordingly my first comment on that very fragrance.

Even though Sun Men wasn't the first perfume to touch my skin, it was the first one I bought as a bottle.
This happened almost 5 years ago and it took almost 3 years until another bottle was added. Accordingly, Sun Men was my "signed fragrance" for a long time, which could have been due to the lack of alternatives on the shelf.

Why this one?
Well surely it was because I (from wherever) had a sample of it in my hands.
It could also be that my nose hair didn't die off immediately, like with the old 4711 bottle of my grandmother who was still flying around somewhere with my parents, that is to say I liked the smell.
And besides, as almost always in life, money played a role.

To the fragrance pyramid:
I can understand the prelude with the bergamot. Now it's getting trickier. Rosemary or cardamom and later nutmeg, I imagine to recognize. Maybe I'm just doing that because my brain says it has to be inside, so you smell that now too!
Since I don't have a garden, nor am I a botanist, I can't tell if you can see the Frangipani now or not.
A woody and sweetish base note, in my humble opinion can not be denied.
The fragrance process is relatively fluid, without my nose feeling surprised by the new fragrance components.

As already enough previous speakers remarked, and which they are also absolutely right: he never really gets off on it, wants you to feel comfortable, like on a beautiful day at the beach (according to Wikipedia Calone is also supposed to be the smell of fresh sea air).
Therefore, it is understandable and not reprehensible that some only call it a summer or holiday scent.

But now I can't get around finding out for myself: why not wear it in winter for this very reason? (Appropriately, it was already a rainy January day when I bought this perfume.)
One usseliger day in November, can already press times the mood. There help me then also times 2 sprayers from the transparent bottle.
Suddenly the mood improves, the cloudy thoughts clear up and a sunny disposition appears.

Otherwise, of course, also a real T-shirt scent for sunny weather, which I would not necessarily wear in a conservative law firm. But who am I to think that I am conservative lawyers.... Let's not do this!

How do I close the first comment?
I'm trying to bridge the gap to the title: certainly not the most creative, loudest, most sophisticated, artistic or popular thing the perfume world has produced. This was certainly not the intention either. The puristic bottle fits the content.

In retrospect I still think to myself: With the purchase everything done right, because you should start small but solid!
3lbows
Looking for the fresh, sweet.
A rainy one under the last days of my summer vacation gives me now the opportunity to let some thoughts pass to my this year's smell companion in review.

Sun Men, an admittedly obvious, perhaps even boring choice that probably makes some people roll their eyes immediately, has served me well.

Because he is now very well known, and my previous speakers I think he already sufficiently described, I want to give here only some key points, which make the ordinary nevertheless special.

I would describe Sun Men as sweet-fresh aquatics with creamy drydown. The aquatics are moderate, but give the sun milk freshness the necessary masculine corners and edges. I don't know of any other fragrance that carries a sweet theme into the warm season without it so skilfully and airily.
Invictus, First Instinct and now also Davidoff with Run Wild are swinging the melon leg, which is much more obtrusive.

Sun Men is wearable just by the sea on practically all occasions; Perceptible, albeit not for long, unobtrusive, creating a good mood. The fact that it does not last long in its current formulation, feels rather as an advantage on vacation; Thus it can be dosed arbitrarily, and one can put on also times something else.

But apart from holiday filds I find it less suitable precisely because of this, because it is playful, very casual, omitted. Even with long pants, I feel stupid about Sun Men. He wouldn't last an entire office day anyway.

Sun Men is for us lovers of sweet, creamy fragrances; we are looking forward to the colder season when we can dig up our treasures again, but in summer the choice is clearly limited, especially if, like me, you can't do anything with dominant citric fragrances or real aquatics.

Sun Men is part of my fragrance game for me and the search for similar alternatives.
It's not customary to love what you own. Anatole France
The Sun was a repeat purchase, as it already showed a remarkable performance a dozen years ago. This memory was older, but not much has changed with this new Sun.
It is still fruity, fresh and a suitable alternative in the warmer months of the year.
For spring and summer there are several not hundreds of colognes and light scents.
This one is probably one of the longest lasting in the heat and never intrusive.

This understatement is only found in a few products which are based on such a fruit base, either they are too stinging or they evaporate after four minutes. Therefore, this consistency is an argument why one can wear it again and again despite the longer publication date of 2002.

The Bergamot is nothing innovative or spectacular, but the cardamom makes it very unique and easily recognizable.
Dolce&Gabbana had a similar recognizability with the pour homme a few years earlier.
That was due to the cardamom. In contrast to Dolce, here are woody notes that show the quality of the fragrance.

Fragrances in this price segment which last long and never seem cheap are no longer available. Most drugstore fragrances don't have the freshness that turns into an ingenious woody chord.
If there are freshmen, they usually have a chemical approach, which is not recognizable here at any time. Synthetics is never an issue here.
Thus Coty has done very much well as a manufacturer.
That's why every year the fragrance gets a special edition or other jubilant packaging.
For some, cheap marketing in the department store segment, for others the opportunity to finally wear a good fragrance in summer.

I remember...
...I was 12 when I first got to know this scent. I found a little sample of sun in the bathroom closet. I sprayed it on my wrist (how professional) :) Back then, I was bewitched by this EdT. This sweet-summery creamy scent seemed very sexy to me...:D

It wasn't until I was 26 that I bought a bottle, and at least the scent is long-lasting, especially on clothes. Unfortunately, I don't know how this creamy one comes about, but the fragrance doesn't seem flowery to me in the sense that the pyramid above says. Jil Sander-Sun is actually a representation of sun-tan lotion, beach, the sea, and just everything that belongs to a holiday in the south.
I don't think this fragrance is a jewel anymore, but in its branch of holiday fragrances, this perfume is probably one of the best.
By the way, the bottle is handy and solid, at the same time also practical, fits in most bags etc...

Holiday and beach feeling
For me, Sun for Men is an evergreener in spring and summer. Whether to the work, spare time or also to go out.
I associate the scent with a few beautiful memories. My present wife had chosen him with me in the summer of 2004 at Douglas. According to her, she always reminds Sun for Men of the time we met in 2004. Hardly sprayed, I feel like on vacation.
The scent lasts a day with me. In the evening it is usually only a little, the Sillage is a little more subtle and you don't pull a big flag behind you:-).
Although there are better scents guaranteed. I like the fresh citric scent extremely much and would prefer it to any other perfume.
Great fragrance, there's nothing more for me to say:-)
Bliss of the sun
No other fragrance combines the light-heartedness and spirit of these wonderfully long summer days like Sun Men. The fragrance is not very masculine, it is sweet and soft and not intrusive at all. It's more like a relaxed laugh than a seductive wink. But that's exactly what summer embodies for me.
Bluestopy
This is what summer smells like
A ride in a cooled car, on a sunny, very warm day leading to an outdoor pool. a lot of women in squires swimsuits. Laughter and water gossip in the background.
That's how I'd describe Sun Men. For the price you get a very good fragrance experience that nobody will hate. The whole classroom smells like that stuff, wonderful.

StarA1StarA1 2 years ago
A traditional fragrance with nothing new ... too sweaty ... Not worth its price ... Not usable in hot days

by Flanker
by Bulentbc
by Bulentbc
by YKem
by YKem
unkomplizierte, einmalige Sommerfrische - Jil Sander Sun Men (2002)
by Parma
by Lars92
Sun Day Men und Sun Men von Jil Sander
by Chnokfir

Popular Jil Sander

Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman III (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (1989) / Feeling Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Woman Two by Jil Sander Woman Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Man Two / Men Two (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée) by Jil Sander Sport Water by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Jil (1997) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander