Sun Men (2002) Eau de Toilette

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design: Fabien Baron

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jil Sander for men and was released in 2002. The scent is fresh-sweet. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Calone, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesFrangipani, Cardamom, Musk, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Cedarwood

Submitted by Sani, last update on 28.09.2019

4.0 6.0 4.0 8.0/10

3lbows
Looking for the fresh, sweet.
A rainy one under the last days of my summer vacation gives me now the opportunity to let some thoughts pass to my this year's smell companion in review.

Sun Men, an admittedly obvious, perhaps even boring choice that probably makes some people roll their eyes immediately, has served me well.

Because he is now very well known, and my previous speakers I think he already sufficiently described, I want to give here only some key points, which make the ordinary nevertheless special.

I would describe Sun Men as sweet-fresh aquatics with creamy drydown. The aquatics are moderate, but give the sun milk freshness the necessary masculine corners and edges. I don't know of any other fragrance that carries a sweet theme into the warm season without it so skilfully and airily.
Invictus, First Instinct and now also Davidoff with Run Wild are swinging the melon leg, which is much more obtrusive.

Sun Men is wearable just by the sea on practically all occasions; Perceptible, albeit not for long, unobtrusive, creating a good mood. The fact that it does not last long in its current formulation, feels rather as an advantage on vacation; Thus it can be dosed arbitrarily, and one can put on also times something else.

But apart from holiday filds I find it less suitable precisely because of this, because it is playful, very casual, omitted. Even with long pants, I feel stupid about Sun Men. He wouldn't last an entire office day anyway.

Sun Men is for us lovers of sweet, creamy fragrances; we are looking forward to the colder season when we can dig up our treasures again, but in summer the choice is clearly limited, especially if, like me, you can't do anything with dominant citric fragrances or real aquatics.

Sun Men is part of my fragrance game for me and the search for similar alternatives.
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

It's not customary to love what you own. Anatole France
The Sun was a repeat purchase, as it already showed a remarkable performance a dozen years ago. This memory was older, but not much has changed with this new Sun.
It is still fruity, fresh and a suitable alternative in the warmer months of the year.
For spring and summer there are several not hundreds of colognes and light scents.
This one is probably one of the longest lasting in the heat and never intrusive.

This understatement is only found in a few products which are based on such a fruit base, either they are too stinging or they evaporate after four minutes. Therefore, this consistency is an argument why one can wear it again and again despite the longer publication date of 2002.

The Bergamot is nothing innovative or spectacular, but the cardamom makes it very unique and easily recognizable.
Dolce&Gabbana had a similar recognizability with the pour homme a few years earlier.
That was due to the cardamom. In contrast to Dolce, here are woody notes that show the quality of the fragrance.

Fragrances in this price segment which last long and never seem cheap are no longer available. Most drugstore fragrances don't have the freshness that turns into an ingenious woody chord.
If there are freshmen, they usually have a chemical approach, which is not recognizable here at any time. Synthetics is never an issue here.
Thus Coty has done very much well as a manufacturer.
That's why every year the fragrance gets a special edition or other jubilant packaging.
For some, cheap marketing in the department store segment, for others the opportunity to finally wear a good fragrance in summer.
7.0 8.0 8.5/10

I remember...
...I was 12 when I first got to know this scent. I found a little sample of sun in the bathroom closet. I sprayed it on my wrist (how professional) :) Back then, I was bewitched by this EdT. This sweet-summery creamy scent seemed very sexy to me...:D

It wasn't until I was 26 that I bought a bottle, and at least the scent is long-lasting, especially on clothes. Unfortunately, I don't know how this creamy one comes about, but the fragrance doesn't seem flowery to me in the sense that the pyramid above says. Jil Sander-Sun is actually a representation of sun-tan lotion, beach, the sea, and just everything that belongs to a holiday in the south.
I don't think this fragrance is a jewel anymore, but in its branch of holiday fragrances, this perfume is probably one of the best.
By the way, the bottle is handy and solid, at the same time also practical, fits in most bags etc...

6.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Holiday and beach feeling
For me, Sun for Men is an evergreener in spring and summer. Whether to the work, spare time or also to go out.
I associate the scent with a few beautiful memories. My present wife had chosen him with me in the summer of 2004 at Douglas. According to her, she always reminds Sun for Men of the time we met in 2004. Hardly sprayed, I feel like on vacation.
The scent lasts a day with me. In the evening it is usually only a little, the Sillage is a little more subtle and you don't pull a big flag behind you:-).
Although there are better scents guaranteed. I like the fresh citric scent extremely much and would prefer it to any other perfume.
Great fragrance, there's nothing more for me to say:-)

Bliss of the sun
No other fragrance combines the light-heartedness and spirit of these wonderfully long summer days like Sun Men. The fragrance is not very masculine, it is sweet and soft and not intrusive at all. It's more like a relaxed laugh than a seductive wink. But that's exactly what summer embodies for me.
6.0 8.0 5.0 8.0/10

Bluestopy
This is what summer smells like
A ride in a cooled car, on a sunny, very warm day leading to an outdoor pool. a lot of women in squires swimsuits. Laughter and water gossip in the background.
That's how I'd describe Sun Men. For the price you get a very good fragrance experience that nobody will hate. The whole classroom smells like that stuff, wonderful.
8.0 7.0 7.0 6.0/10

"Sun milk deluxe"
I owned this fragrance shortly after it was released, when my nose sniffed much fewer EDTs and the selection of men's fragrances was much more limited. I remember a flattering perpetual desire with which one(s) could not do anything wrong from this point of view. My mates and I wore Relax, Hugo, Bogner Man, Photo, CK One and more besides this fragrance. Now, about 15 years later, my impression of Sun Men is confirmed. Some things never change! ;-)

As the name suggests, Sun Men is designed for the summer. However, unlike most mainstream competitors in the (then) mid-price segment, the freshness factor here is only modestly pronounced. A pleasant sweetness blends into the action, whereby I can't smell out any ingredient particularly. In addition, there is a subtle herbaceous-spicy note, which could be a little more pronounced in my opinion. Then maybe Sun Men would have done his summer escort job for me! ;-)

Sun Men is a very independent fragrance, but in my opinion it lacks a special kick. If I had to make an association, it would be the one mentioned in the subject line with suntan lotion or cream. From this point of view, the subject of "sun" would have been hit, but I just can't get this comparison out of my nose or my cerebral convolutions. Of course there are good-smelling creams with sun protection factor, but my EDT shouldn't remind me too much.

So Sun Men gets stuck somewhere in no man's land between skin care and fragrance experience for me. Hardly anyone will tell me that I smell strange or take getting used to, but I don't expect compliments either. It will probably take several summers until I have used up my 100 ml, and there will probably be no special occasions.

StarA1 14 months ago
A traditional fragrance with nothing new ... too sweaty ... Not worth its price ... Not usable in hot days+2
3.0

by Bulentbc
by Bulentbc
by YKem
by YKem
unkomplizierte, einmalige Sommerfrische - Jil Sander Sun Men (2002)
by Parma
by Lars92
Sun Day Men und Sun Men von Jil Sander
by Chnokfir

Popular Jil Sander

Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Eve by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sander for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Sensual Jil by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sport for Women by Jil Sander Pure by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander