Sun (1989)Eau de Toilette

Sun (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander
Bottle Design Peter Schmidt

Sun (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Jil Sander for women and was released in 1989. The scent is sweet-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Coty.

Pierre Bourdon

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Fruits, Orange blossom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Heliotrope, Orris root, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Musk, Sandalwood, Styrax, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.06.2020.

Pollita
SUN - another olfactory atomic bomb
If we talk about olfactory crackers, humming, grenades, then of course Sun from Mrs Sander should not be missing. Sun, how long have I known him? It was on my study trip to Berlin, I must have been in the 9th or 10th grade, when my classmates discovered Sun. My classmates were a bit strange. They all wore the same jeans brand, the same shoes (either Camel Boots or Chucks) and of course the same scent. And this one was Sun. I was new to the class and had the misfortune on the study trip that two of my friends from the parallel class were accommodated in a different quarter in another part of the capital. So, without being asked beforehand, I was put in a room with four or five girls, who of course were best friends with each other. Since one was of course not allowed to travel alone by public transport, I had to go out with this horde of girls in the evening. The owner of the bottle sprayed a dash of Sun on their necks and off they went.

Shortly afterwards I bought a small bottle of Sun myself. I liked the scent, even if I wore it sporadically. I liked this fine, then very innovative combination of fresh, citrus notes with heliotrope, a power orange blossom, lots of ylang-ylang and a pleasant vanilla woodiness in the base. But he was already very sweet. No wonder, because the vanilla in Sun was really something. My later boyfriend always said that I would smell like candy if I wore it, which I would say yes to today. Sun is a real gourmand. Funnily enough, I never had the classic sunscreen association with Sun. To me, it always seemed a bit like a fragrance related to Joop's Nuit d'eté, which I would have loved to have had, but which a good friend of mine wore at the time. I thought it was kind of stupid to take part in that game and therefore didn't buy it (today I'm naturally annoyed when I look around on Ebay...).

But with Sun and me it was quickly over after the one bottle. Some years later I got Sun again as a present. But I kept giving this bottle as a present, because I was not really enthusiastic about it anymore. The lucky one was my riding instructor at that time, who also managed to fill almost a whole riding hall with Sun. Fortunately, the 30 ml were used up very quickly
For many years there was no further contact with the fragrance. But then it came one after the other. One of my former superiors wore Sun She also used to spray the office. By then, Sun was already starting to get on my nerves. Plus, my former tenant was also a Sun fan. When she put on the scent, you could still smell it for at least four hours in our stairwell. Yeah, it's really annoying. It's a pity, because the fragrance is beautiful per se and I had a small bottle of it myself once.

Conclusion: One sprayer - perfect. More of the same. Nope, you better not. The durability of the vintage version was almost infinite. And I have the impression that despite reformulation, it still smells very similar today to how it did back then. But I don't find it defused.
Contemporary Witnesses
Eyewitness is a very nice term, I think. It means so much. Once that, when something has passed, more and more people know it only from stories. We also know that reports can be falsified, not only from a subjective perspective, but that some things are perhaps forgotten, embellished or dramatised when they are told. And finally, there is such a thing as legend building. Only those who were there, i.e. contemporary witnesses, may be able to take corrective action. And the older we get, the fewer people remember the same things as we do. At some point, there will be no one left who has experienced the event himself, then it will only be passed on. It is also possible that, in retrospect, completely different things suddenly appear to be essential, things that nobody remembered at the time and certainly did not write them down because they seemed to be unimportant.
One is called a contemporary witness especially when it is a matter of long-term significance, such as the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989, and at the moment when one experiences something like this, one may not even notice that one is attending an event of historical significance and will later be named by others as a contemporary witness.
Speaking of 1989...

Sun by Jil Sander exists since 1989, and 1989 is now a year that I have experienced very consciously. I'm practically an eyewitness When Sun by Jil Sander came on the market at that time, it quickly became incredibly popular, even beyond Germany, and that is why it was and remained on everyone's lips. Everyone knew Sun, very many wore it. I tried it of course, it was different from the fragrances that were popular at that time, but I didn't like it. From memory I can say that there was something pungent in it (probably again jasmine and orange blossom) and I found the musk too plain and boring. At that time I was attracted to the also new Roma, which then became my signature for a while.
Now 31 years have passed since then and I have tried Sun again in the meantime. I still didn't like it, still snappy and with too much of the wrong musk it seemed to me to be horribly artificial.

I can't recapitulate when I tested which version, because Sun was reformulated very clearly at least twice, but I suspect a number of other reformulations.
It is therefore virtually impossible to write a commentary that will be useful even for those who don't know which version of Sun they have at home.

There is only one thing I can do, I can tell you which variation I have learned to love. It's the one with linalool in fifth place, limonene in sixth, and coumarin in tenth. Furthermore, the indication 75ml on the outer packaging is on the side of the S of Sun. The current samples of Sun with the shade of the bottles behind an orange parasol have the same contents and smell the same. However, if you want to buy a current bottle in common shops, Linalool and Limonene are the last on the list and on the outer packaging 75ml is written on the side of the N of Sun.

What does it smell like, the Sun, which could win me over after 31 years of being a Sun-moufflon after all, because I happened to receive one of the samples described above?

In the top note fresh with a short hint of toilet stone, lemon fragrance, he becomes spicy fresh after seconds with tangy zest of lemons and oranges, but without acidity, and underlaid by beginning delicate vanilla.

In the heart note it becomes more vanilla, the zest remains, but moves further into the background. Now it also becomes floral, even slightly Indo-Aryan, but not pungent, but only a little wild and Animalian. I really like this somehow calm and powdery eroticism! The flowers are sweet, but they are so well interwoven with vanilla and the remains of the citric that without knowing the pyramid I would not have recognized any of the flowers directly, but only smelled a white flower and a beguilingly sweet powder blossom. Surely it is heliotrope and iris that contribute the powder factor here and the sweet flower that most characterizes the floral character is YlangYlang.

In the base, wood and a little musk are added, whereby the musk is not pungent or stuffy, but only makes the wood appear softer and warmer. I do not recognize it as sandalwood, though. Now first the zests begin to retreat, then the animalistic and finally the sweet flowers. The fragrance continues to soften and soften for a few more hours, with a subtle woody touch of vanilla, a rest of flower powder and very little musk
I find this Sun incredibly soothing, calming, friendly and harmonizing. It lets me come to myself, reflect on myself and at the same time it opens the view into the vastness. In the silence lies the power
Eyewitness is a nice term, I think. It contains so much richness, so much life.
Eaumygosh
The thing about evaluations..
and a realization. I have to admit- when I created my first account "eaumeingott," I was quite young. Not older than 18. At that time, the ratings of individual fragrances had a strong influence on me. Medium rated fragrances were not even tested: I'm still young, 4.5 years later. However, I have learned one thing in the meantime: If a technical device has a rating of 4/10 at 300 ratings, this indicates that the quality is poor. With fragrances it's different - there the quality evaluation is more based on the categories "durability" or "sillage". Of course, a very pungent synthetic scent often gets bad scent ratings - but in most cases bad ratings are only given because the scent does not match the personal taste.
I saw things differently then. I tested very well rated fragrances and tried to convince myself that I liked them. Even when it was absolutely not the case, I tried to appreciate the creation. On the other hand, when testing badly rated fragrances, I always expected to be disappointed. I didn't even want to like them. Also "Sun" was one of the fragrances I had never been interested in, because 3/4 years ago it had a much lower rating than now. Not much more than 5.5/10. Nevertheless, one day the scent landed in my collection, albeit not entirely voluntarily. A 30ml bottle was included in my advent calendar. Well well, if it's already there, then you can give it a fair chance and test it. A spray in the air and then hold your wrist under the fog. This is now my personal standard when I test fragrances that are known to be very heavy and long lasting. I too have had the wonderful experience of being followed by a real cloud of scent after a test. For hours. Even soap is useless there. If you find the scent to run away, it is very unpleasant. So I prefer a delicate touch on the skin.

My first thought when "Sun" reaches my olfactory receptors : MY COUSINE. She is 15 years older than me and since she lives in another state, we don't see each other that often. Only at family parties, maybe 1-2 times a year. Whenever I hug her to welcome and say goodbye, I always perceive one and the same scent. Ever since I was a child. At that time she still lived in the vicinity, so I smelled the scent even more often. I never asked her name. I never asked her name, so it was always hers. Funnily enough, I always thought that it must be a rather unknown perfume - I never smelled it on the street. So it's all the more amusing that her signature scent turned out to be "Sun" in the end.

Now let's get to the fragrance itself, it's time: this little fragrance is one of those creations where I find it very difficult to recognize individual notes. It's the overall impression that counts, the creation. Even the top note is something special. "Sun" has power - surprisingly spicy, resinous and balsamic. Paired with a pompous sweetness. After half an hour the fragrance becomes softer - the initial resinousness fades into the background, but remains present. In return, powdery floral notes join the warm vanilla and also a little freshness. Now I also understand the "sun cream" association that I keep hearing in connection with the name "Sun". The light spiciness, the warmth, the sweetness, the powdery. The light freshness that contrasts with the pompous sweetness. Yes, it reflects the summer. The warm creamed skin over which a gentle breeze blows. And yes, "Sun" also reflects the time in which it appeared. It is relatively loud, maybe a little bit too much of everything - but at the same time very attractive. One has the urge to sniff his wrist again and again. The scent is unique, there is no question about that. Maybe that's what makes it so interesting. I understand it when people flee from it, but I also understand those who love it. I personally like him. I don't know if I'll wear it often - if it's something for me, but I like to spray it on my wrist from time to time - because it fascinates me and I associate it with my cousin. It triggers positive feelings in me. Since the durability is also really good (6/7 hours one takes it clearly), one has also always long his joy in him
DieHerznote
Hot town, summer in the city!
For me this fragrance smells like a wonderful mix of sun cream and the original Nivea cream. If you don't know the scent yet, it is best to spray it on your wrist and then try to ignore it for about two hours. Under no circumstances should you sniff it directly! The top note has absolutely nothing to do with what you can expect after a short "unfolding time". It smells like vanilla ice cream in an outdoor pool and lukewarm summer nights.

It is a really very nice fragrance that everyone who likes warmer scents should have in their collection.
SUN, went under
When Jiliane, a native of Dithmarschen, introduced this fragrance to the market in 1989, I was thrilled. I wore the colours white and orange too. But for me it was white T-shirts with carrot baby porridge on them and the simple designer fashion, where I like the style, for the time being far away. But you could dream.

Back then, the fragrance was a dream. Perfect and harmonious. He accompanied me on several summer holidays in North Frisia. But as is the case with fragrances, all of a sudden you try something different, because you didn't want to commit yourself permanently.

Recently then I remembered SUN and tested him on a city stroll. But as with so many fragrances, a lot has been changed and modernized. The beginning is citric with a somewhat bitter impact. Then a killing mixture of scents followed across the garden. The flower scents fought for victory and sometimes I smelled rose, then jasmine, then heliotrope and ylang ylang. Head to head race then with Ylang Ylang as the winner, heliotrope discreetly in the background and far fallen off the other flowers. The freshly bitter beginning was only to be guessed. The exit was one of those things. Amber, musk and sandalwood fought again against Ylang Ylang. Unfortunately in vain. Ylang Ylang stayed in power and vanilla couldn't dampen it either.

Unfortunately Ylang Ylang was provided with a scratchy, peculiarly stabbing, artificial note. Something I don't like at all. This extreme ylang ylang scent neither weakened nor disappeared. I can't describe the scent as flowery sweet. Rather flowery synthetic. Shelf life about 7 hours.

No we don't become friends anymore, because the fragrance only has fragments of resemblance to the old SUN. Fortunately I was able to get hold of a niche scent in the Netherlands that comes very close to the old SUN
Jil Sander Sun or Whom the past catches up with
If the past catches up with you...your banner has the colours white, orange and a plain lettering. When they catch up, they love "rounded corners" and sleek edges, smooth surfaces with statement, high gloss and glare colour. Anyone she catches up with can be loud. Loud music, loud colors, loud scents. Mark, don't flower! Not slippers, but high heels that leave their traces in the ground. Screaming instead of whispering, veto instead of subjugating nodding. Heat instead of heat and ... Eighty instead of here and now! And of course Jil Sander Sun!
When my past catches up with me, I see myself in the birth year of this fragrance shortly after my training and in my first permanent job. Blouses with shoulder pads, often unfavourably cut or worn leg dresses and hairstyles beyond good and evil. The radio station brings crazy music with retracting choruses, which echo through the alleys and brain-washing in all boutiques. I see myself with my first perfume in my hand, Joop le Bain, and how blessed I am to admire this golden nectar and the aromas it gives of itself. But there's more. From the same lands comes the opposite. Opaquely veiled, there is a nitro juice slumbering in its housing, which you can only dare to see if you hold it against the light. Nothing leaves room for speculation or even preparation for what lives in it. This juice pretends what Davidoff Cool Water Woman will do to him a few years later: He fills the skies, streets, shops and all transport companies with his breath. Inescapably, it breathes its breath regularly into every corner of every place at spring and summer time. Yellow-white-orange swaths wind energetically and therefore decisively and take possession of everything and everyone. Bergamot and citrus fruits rob everyone of their senses, heavy flower steamships steam through the nose directly into the brain and amber, wood, tonka and lots of vanilla lever the last remnant of reason out of its rational structure. Jil Sander Sun is not just sunshine, it is the direct sun! Right in front of me, hot as a hatter, screaming with energy, devouring like a lava mouth. Helplessly I have to watch my own downfall, seemingly infinite moments where I see myself melting and how my liquids fizz into steam in the bright stove of lights. But if I could hold a mirror in front of my face at this very moment. Just in time, before this also dissolves and says goodbye to the universe with me as nothing of an unimportant existence. What would I see?
I would see a blissfully radiant face. And gratitude. Gratitude for a great fragrance, a fragrance with insufficiently ridiculous copies. Gratitude for sun, summer feeling and bathing fun at the push of a button, good mood and almost kitschy carelessness. And gratitude to be able to relive those very moments whenever I need them, again and again. And they last almost as long as the time!
That's what happens to who the past catches up with! Or Jil Sander Sun...!
Let the Sun shine...
Antidepressant for spraying!
Your heart opens immediately and you just feel safe and happy.
I can't wear such scents in summer heat, so I prefer something fresh, citric-aquatic.
The durability is also bomb, actually with all Jil Sanders, although it is only an EdT, even after showering you can still see it clearly on the skin.
For me no everyday scent but rather for in between as a mood brightener!
Helena1411
Like ice in the sunshine
... who doesn't remember, being part of the opening credits of every movie - the Langnese-Spot! The nuns on the beach, breathing their habit, the slip finger on the style in noses, back or other body parts, the cheeky Pippi Longstocking girl stretching her middle finger, the dog licking on the ice of his mistress dreaming in front of her, the successful experiment of sunlight through a spectacle lens as a bundle of energy, very much to the annoyance of the man affected with his chest hair set on fire, who conjures up water buckets emptied over the head of a sunbathing bikini beauty, ice packs from every imaginable bikini corner, women and men who suck lustfully on their ice cream, surfers, sunscreen and sunglasses! For all children of the 80s the ice cream commercial par excellence! And the epitome of summer moodiness, carefree, frivolous, sweet!
And that's exactly what Jil Sander Sun reminds me of, in the style of the 80s: opulent, powerful and fragrant. This is not about the individual fragrance components, but about the entire fragrance, which captures exactly this summer mood like no other summer fragrance, even 30 years later. If my nose perceives this scent, I will be catapulted into the summer of Langnese advertising, no matter what the actual season, between bath sheets and people scented with sun creams. The summer lightness, paradoxically the sweetish heaviness of the perfume, begins immediately and warms from the inside.
Of course meanwhile an often richly smelled scent, overdosed and mutated to a mass scent of a whole generation, and yet:
Jil Sander Sun remains THE summer fragrance par excellence!
Just as the Langnese advertising remains THE ice-cream advertising par excellence.
Like ice in the sunshine...
The cult summer scent
Summer is just around the corner and I am looking for THE summer scent again. I have tried many now and like to present a small series of them. The beginning is Sun:

I became aware of Sun last summer. When I watched several times how people of both sexes enthusiastically got a bottle of Sun and went to the cash register with it in childlike joy, the reason was enough for me to take a closer look at the scent.

Sun is celebrating its 30th birthday this year and in the meantime has become a success. Hardly anyone who hasn't smelled him before. The fragrance starts with a cloud of sweet flowers and spices spicy warm and heavy. Citrus notes I can't smell, more resinous and Ylang Ylang. This heavy spice loses itself and it then becomes creamy sweet and also milder. So after one hour it is then very soft and reminiscent of warm skin in the sun. The scent doesn't change anymore, but it lasts an enormous 10 hours on the skin - great!

With Sun, Jil Sander has succeeded in making the big litter. With innumerable flanks one tried unsuccessfully to tie up to Sun-Sun remains unrivaled.

You can like Sun, of course you don't have to, but you make a statement with it. He's as cult as Mickey Mouse, Sunny Crocket and the Ray Ban sunglasses. It has been part of summer for 30 years like tomato mozzarella, hugo and grilled sausage. Can you like it or not? But it is also cult and somehow belongs to the summer. So to speak stored in the collective summer memory.
Unfortunately, it belongs to the fragrances that are often brutally overdosed. With it its beautiful charisma is destroyed and it threatens nausea...

This is the first time I've bought a bottle of Sun. I also like tomato mozzarella and hugo. There is better but what the heck, somehow belongs to the summer feeling. For me, the heavy sweet scent is more for the evening. During the day in the office he would be too luxuriant for me and a little bit too sensual. But privately, for going out and at the beach bar he is also suitable for a small budget and simply makes mood- Don't let the Sun go down...

Tuzzifruzzi
After so many years still top!
Douglas' aunt "turned" the smell on me back then. "Is brand new on the market"
I was a complete fan of it, even though I'm not really a vanilla fan. I use it mostly in the summer, that kind of fits. I think it's so fresh but also quite sweet, quite intrusive. I have already been addressed several times, I smell like freshly washed laundry. People want to cuddle up to me. I'll take that as a compliment.
I have often brought this fragrance as a gift. Birthday in the garden, the classic.
Whenever I get it in the offer I take it with me, shower gel and body lotion is of course a must ;-)

Dankeschön :-) es war Abendsonne/Laternenschein & Bearbeitung - Jenseits der Donnerkuppeldingens :-D
by Seejungfrau
Fotorätsel: wer es am schnellsten errät gewinnt eine Abfuellung aus meiner Sammlung. Piepmatz-alias Adlerauge war am schnellsten-Herzliche Gratulation!! Und an Alle: vielen Dank fuers Mitmachen!:-))
by LaVioletta
by ChatonNoir
Farbige Smileys für Fresh :)
by Minea
by GilGitter
by Nici1993
by Nici1993

Popular Jil Sander

Background (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Man Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Woman III (1986) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man (1989) / Feeling Man (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Jil Sander Man Absolute by Jil Sander Scent 79 Man (2012) by Jil Sander Woman Pure (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Stylessence by Jil Sander Nº 4 (Eau de Parfum) by Jil Sander Sun Men (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Softly by Jil Sander Style by Jil Sander Bath & Beauty (1981) by Jil Sander Sport Water by Jil Sander Jil (1997) (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Sun Delight by Jil Sander Sensations (Eau de Toilette) by Jil Sander Strictly by Jil Sander Simply (Eau de Parfum Poudrée) by Jil Sander Jil (2009) by Jil Sander