Black Vetyver Café (2003)

Black Vetyver Café by Jo Malone

Black Vetyver Café is a perfume by Jo Malone for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesRoasted coffee, Dark chocolate
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoriander
Base Notes Base NotesTemple incense, Vetiver

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 28.03.2020.

Where's my coffee?
I kept thinking where's my coffee?

It opened with Vetiver and Incense and didn't really evolve to anything else. Just vetiver and incense until it fades. I was really disappointed that I didn't get any coffee. It smells like it would be a great base to something but is un impressive on it's own.

Nov
2013

MemoryOScent
this one likes being a tease...
Black Vetyver Café is another star of this line although it rarely gets the praises it deserves. It has a somewhat harsh opening, reminds me of hairspray, but this lasts only for very little and is followed by a brief burst of vetiver. Very quickly the coffee notes enters the scene and this is the best coffee note I have come across in a fragrance. This is pure, plain coffee: no cappuccino, no frappuccino, no milk, no cream, no sugar added. Coffee notes very often seem to take a turn to the gourmand ending up smelling like those cheap flavoured coffee blends, a nondescript combination of coffee-chocolate-caramel-hazelnut concoction, straight out of the labs of food flavouring companies. This one however is surprisingly dry, dirty and herbal. It reminds me a lot of Greek/Turkish coffee, which is lightly roasted, preserving the herbal qualities of the bean. Coffee in this form reminds me of a light immortelle note. Throughout the development coffee is supported by the light green vetiver note and perhaps a little citrous, but it always stays the centre of attention. Many of the fans of BVC complain about its longevity. I have a different experience with this. On me it soon develops into a skin scent with incredible longevity. Just as I start forgetting I wear it I get a cloud of the rustic coffee note surrounding me again. I do not get a great deal of notes combining for this. Although Fragrantica lists vanilla in the blend I cannot detect a hint of it or of any other sweet smelling ingredient. I love BVC because it is dry, herbal and rustic and it becomes one with the skin. Sometimes it smells like I have spilled coffee on me and forgot to wash it off, which I find very charming and daring. Fortunately it has the right amount of vetiver to keep others from detecting it as such. I like the quiet storm feel, close to the skin quality, big longevity (at least on my skin) combination. I would have loved an eau de parfum version of this though. One of the best and most original of the line.
Notes from my nose: hairspary, vetiver, coffee, grapefruit, woods

Weak Coffee, Sweet Vetiver
As one who does not subscribe to the Jo Malone "the solution is dilution" aesthetic, I never approach the fragrances of this house with much hope. I really do prefer perfume to cologne and I find it absurd to pay perfume prices for a tiny bottle of weak cologne that would last me maybe a week.

That said, BLACK VETYVER CAFE certainly sounds like an excellent idea to this coffee lover. What I find, however, is that this is not really very black at all--again, a result of dilution. Take a black elixir and add a ton of solvent, and it will be a pale shade of dirty gray. This fragrance does not smell dirty, but it does smell like weak coffee sweetened with sugar and seasoned with vetiver.

Unfortunately, I have yet to acquire a taste for sweet vetiver (I'm also ambivalent toward Hermessence VETIVER TONKA...), so I'm afraid that BLACK VETYVER CAFE will not be the first Jo Malone to grace my collection... I would recommend this fragrance to people who think that Thierry Mugler A*MEN is way too thick and synthetic. This composition, while thin, is also natural smelling.

by HsChen
by HsChen
by Flavorite
by Flavorite

Popular Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Honey & Crocus by Jo Malone Orange Bitters by Jo Malone Oat & Cornflower by Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica by Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia (Cologne) by Jo Malone Jade Leaf Tea by Jo Malone Midnight Black Tea by Jo Malone