Dark Amber & Ginger Lily 2008

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone
7.8 / 10 239 Ratings
Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is a popular perfume by Jo Malone for women and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-woody. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Goes well with Lime Basil & Mandarin (Cologne)

Top Notes Top Notes GingerGinger Pink pepperPink pepper Black cardamomBlack cardamom
Heart Notes Heart Notes JasmineJasmine OrchidOrchid RoseRose Water lilyWater lily
Base Notes Base Notes FrankincenseFrankincense LeatherLeather PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood Black amberBlack amber

Submitted by Lampe, last update on 16.01.2023.

6 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Helpful Review 25
Of nostalgia and love...
My grandma has a very strong bond with Morocco. For years Agadir was her holiday destination. She and my grandpa were there very often, for years 2 times a year for several weeks.
They had their regular hotel and all the staff and other regulars already knew them, and were happy to see them again every time.
They built a particularly strong bond with one of the hotel staff. He showed them around town and even invited them to his home several times, until he even set up a guest room for them. For my grandma and grandpa, it became a sort of second home.

By the numerous holidays came naturally also enormous amounts of Mitbringseln to Germany. Moroccan robes, jewelry, bottles of argan oil, spices, even Moroccan cookies they brought with them when they came back after 3 weeks in mid-December. But what always interested me the most were the smells. So it came to pass that my grandma brought me a small tin with a piece of pressed dark amber. I loved that scent. So much so that as a young girl I rubbed that bit against my skin to wear as perfume. To this day, I still have those little jars scattered around many rooms so I can always get a whiff of it.

Why I tell all this:

As I stood in Douglas testing the beautiful Jo Malone bottle, I was immediately reminded. The spices, the sweet cookies, and of course, most importantly, the amber!
That's exactly what this scent reflects paired with soft woods and beautiful florals. I could also smell the ginger clearly in the beginning. It was as if all these memories had been packed into a bottle and mixed.
Of course, I couldn't help but take it straight to the checkout.
This scent is mysterious as it is, spicy, alluring, warming and a little sexy too. I can imagine him at any time of year!
Layered with Jasmine Sambac & Marigold it also makes a very great blend (and becomes even more durable) and I can't get enough of it.

Meanwhile, my grandparents no longer have the strength to make this journey. They are both doing well, yet they miss the vacations together very much. Let's see...maybe I can also awaken a touch of nostalgia with them with this fragrance.
Aleksandra95
Enchanting spicy-soft sensuality with depth
I never tire of smelling him. It shimmers spicy-floral and soft-woody all day long. It starts with a peppery note, later it becomes very soft and sensual, slightly sweet and creamy, but with an enchanting spicy depth. For me the most sensual and interesting fragrance I know - expressive, gentle and unobtrusive at the same time. No other fragrance is able to unite these contrasting facets so enchantingly in one bottle
Helpful Review 8
Flashback to the Emirates plane
I was only going to write a statement at first, and I knew after my second written word that the character count would never, ever be enough.

This fragrance is a love found again, which I had to leave behind me on the small toilet in the Emirates plane since 2016. Sounds very weird now? ;) - I clarify!
My last family holiday went with my parents and my brother to the Seychelles- a wonderful holiday, which I think back fondly.
Back we flew with Emirates via Dubai and then further home to Munich. In me at that time on the way home already the winter blues spread and I wanted to visit still the last time the much too small airplane toilet, before the airplane set to the landing. Outside it looked zapfen and gloomy, typical weather in Germany shortly after Christmas.
On the toilet at the time was a hand cream from "The White Company", which variety it was, I can unfortunately no longer say today. I only remember that I was so flashed by this fragrance that I quickly dashed to the airplane toilet when I got off the plane in Munich, to be able to take another pump of hand cream with me. - Crazy, right? But when I smelled Dark Amber & Ginger Lily a few weeks ago, I immediately felt transported back to that little airplane bathroom on the Emirates plane on the way home from one of the best vacations I've had so far. And it was an incredibly beautiful memory.
Definitely, I will forever carry Dark Amber & Ginger Lily in my heart and I can't wait to wear it more often this fall and winter.
An insanely beautiful, spicy fall/winter scent which definitely deserves more attention!
Laurali
Wellness in the middle of the forest
At first I was going to write a statement, but the few characters just wouldn't be able to do the fragrance justice.

The test of this fragrance was a pure coincidence and I must also confess that I did not like it at first. Normally spicy, resinous sweet scents are not so mine (Grand Soir, L'ambre des Merveilles, etc. were quite nice, but I do not like to smell on me. Maybe that changes yet).

The fragrance starts hot and peppery by ginger and pepper. Who likes spicy scents, comes here already directly at his expense. This start has put me off at the first testing.

But then (!!!), after a few minutes, opens a spa for my nose. So balsamic, creamy, warm and yet somehow fresh at the same time. Insanely beautiful.

When I spray on the fragrance today, the following thoughts come into my head: a long walk through the autumnal forest. The sun is already low and illuminates with their last rays the trees shining in magnificent red / orange. After a long walk you see a beautiful rustic wooden hut. In a small adjoining house the sauna is already preheated, in which an aroma infusion is waiting for me. After the relaxed sauna, quickly with a towel tied around through the cold air and main house, cream, cozy warm clothes on and sit with a good book and a cup of ginger tea in the big old leather chair by the fireplace, while it is already getting dark outside and the fog spreads between the trees.

Spicy, warm
My very first evaluation, I hope you are not too strict with me ;) I had (almost) the complete range of Jo Malone fragrances and few were bought again. Among others dark amber & ginger lily. I can clearly smell the pink pepper and have learned to love it with this fragrance. I like the spicy components and its warmth. I like to wear it in autumn, on wet and cold days. The shelf life is alright - I estimate 6 hours - but more would be too much for me personally, so it's perfectly alright and cozy once its spicy and light (but quite pleasant pungency has gone).
More reviews

1 short view on the fragrance
LillibetLillibet 5 years ago
A sophisticated ginger fragrance with a green-wood amber undertone. The green-ginger combo makes it airy enough to wear through the summer.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

8 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Scarlet Poppy by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica by Jo Malone Jasmine Sambac & Marigold by Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone Vetiver & Golden Vanilla by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Orange Bitters by Jo Malone Bronze Wood & Leather by Jo Malone Ginger Biscuit by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Honey & Crocus by Jo Malone