Myrrh & Tonka (2017)

Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone

Myrrh & Tonka is a popular perfume by Jo Malone for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesLavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesNamibian myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Almond, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 20.07.2020.

mystical temptation
For a long time I didn't have Jo Malone on my screen, of course you have seen it at the airport or in London every now and then but never heard of it.
In Berlin in the KaDeWe I snooped through and got stuck on a scent. Myrrh and Tonka. It was my first experience with incense and I was and am really positively surprised. I like to associate scents with places or other memories and this dark, mystical scent made me think a little of the two Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. The "scent mood" simply made me think of the mood in the film. Secret societies, dark, narrow streets and something rough.

The interplay of incense, a subtle floral note and just on the tonka bean, coupled with a slight sweetness makes this fragrance really unique and fits wonderfully in the transition months or even in the winter. Fortunately it is not overly sweet or heavy, so you can wear it quite often when you want to get into its mystical Sillage wrappings. It has a good durability and can fill smaller rooms well, but more like lighting a big scented candle.

A great fragrance for those who are looking for something different, maybe even when you go out in the evening.

Myrrh & Tonka Jo Malone London
It's been a cold Spring here in Canada and over the last week we've had snow 5 out of 7 days. I thought that it would be perfect weather for a warm and cozy fragrance.

Enter Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka. I knew that I was going to love this before the first spritz even hit my skin. I was THAT confident! I certainly can't say that about every scent that I've ever sprayed on myself for the first time.

This is right up my alley. Vanilla and tonka bean add a moderate sweetness, the touch of lavender adds a delicate floral aspect, the almond gives it a kiss of nuttiness and the myrrh gives it that luxurious, resinous, expensive, mild incense-y feel. In an alternate universe, this could be an art house version of Dior Hypnotic Poison. I think it's the vanilla and almond essence that's putting me in that mindset but this is much simpler of course.

This does turn a tad powdery and soapy on my skin. In other fragrances that can be a deal breaker but it doesn't bother me here. It's so well blended that as a whole, it's completely self-endulgent and entirely enjoyable.

The lasting power is great for a Jo Malone. Many of her scents tend to fade out rather quickly but this sticks around for the long haul. I think this may replace my beloved Pomegranate Noir as my favourite Jo Malone offering!
Beautiful temptation
When I took a closer look at this scent of notes and descriptions from the internet, I was already blown away by the pyramid, or rather a few notes. Tonka bean, I love this note (it is one of my favorites). Then vanilla and almond. That looks great to me already. Then myrrh jumped into my eye, I find it very interesting in combination with the other notes that I like. Then lavender. Oh dear, that's a note in some perfumes that I don't like. There are some fragrances where lavender seems soft and supple. Then there are scents where lavender is herbaceous and masculine. Now I was a little insecure. Since the scent still appeals to me, it had to be tested.

Immediately after spraying I perceive lavender. But here, thank God, it appears soft and cuddly. Shortly after, I can also detect myrrh. I also find this note harmonious here (on my skin). Tonka bean is added in the first 10 minutes, oh how I love Tonka! Vanilla and almond are also added in the course of time. I find this fragrance generally so great, but once it has developed on my skin, it is a true beauty: Tonka bean and myrrh mix, refined with vanilla, lavender and almond underline this fragrance. I find it balsamic, aromatic, sweet, tonka-bean (I don't think the word exists :D ), vanilla and smoky. This little water is wonderful
As far as durability is concerned, I can't complain. Applied in the morning, it is still present in the afternoon.

I personally see this fragrance in winter. On cold autumn or spring days I also find it wearable. But on warm autumn or spring days and in summer I don't see it, it would be too much or too overwhelming.

The perfect one!
I found it! After years and years of searching for the perfect one, i belive I found it!
I can’t get enough of this amazing and simple creation.
This will aleays be in my collection.
Just amazing
Love at first sight!
As the headline says, I was blown away by this fragrance from the beginning. Sometimes nothing with flowers or fruits in the course, but so completely different. When I wear it, I just feel in a good mood and nothing can go wrong. The scenting process is now quite simple. Sometimes I smell the vanilla a bit more and then again the almond with the small Tonka bean pushes itself forward and wants to have its say. All the time, however, the myrrh clearly has the crown on and is knocking loudly and determinedly for its place in the front row.

The intensity of the fragrance is incredibly long for a cologne, even if Jo Malone calls it Cologne Intense. I can still get a good whiff of it after 6 to 7 hours and I think in spring and summer it really holds out until the evening
Whoever wants to try something extraordinary is in good hands with this fragrance.

Emorandeira
Balsámic and warm sweet scent
I am not a Big fan of jo Malone fragances because most of their Fragances are too simple, light and soft for me and because the performan is usually weak. But myrrh & tonka is special! This one is more complwx and mucho more intense and Deep than most JM perfumes. I dont know if this is an EDC,edt ir edp but on my skin It behaves better than many perfumes! The perfume lasts a lot, being like a balsámic vanilla smell, very confortable and versatile. This is for me a must!

Scent: 9.5
Longevity: 8
Sillage: 6
Quality/price: 6
Versatility: 8
Originality: 7
Global: 8.5

Myrrh and Tonka review
Hello, here is my video review for Myrrh and Tonka, and first one for the house of Jo Malone. As the name suggests, you should expect the eponymous ingredients, but is there anymore to it. I hope you find the review useful, thanks for watching.

Zimtschnecke
Holiday, relaxation, cream brulée of tonka bean and the consequences..
I was on vacation recently. For the sake of relaxation we went to the beautiful island in the North Sea again. The sun was shining, the relaxation level moved quickly to the best level and shared, among other things, what one does on holiday, with light to medium-heavy shopping balanced the two sides of the scales - in a few words: It was perfect! Until, yes until this one evening: mega delicious food in a cosy restaurant in the dunes, in addition a perfect view of the sunlight reflecting beautifully in the sea and to the dessert cream brulée of the Tonka bean. The treat was a poem and I'll rave about it for years to come as the best Brulée cream I've ever had the pleasure of plastering.

If this were not the only downside of the famous holiday: The senses sharpened by the culinary sensation, the desire for a great Tonka fragrance was not only revived, but had to be immediately transformed into a shopping experience. Since I had already tested Myrrh & Tonka extensively some time ago and found it great, the fragrance was immediately chosen as a wish. Alone, all perfumeries on site could not come up with the object of desire. So we had to be patient and - again at home - quickly invest the freshly refuelled holiday energy in a visit to the well-assorted oasis of fragrance of trust.

I was inquired about the wish, it was confirmed directly, but of course this fragrance was carried and before I knew it, I was magically given a freshly sprayed test fragrance carrier in my hand. Immediately my nose caressed the fresh-clean lavender note, also myrrh could be guessed already, I was again inspired. Soon a small bottle was carefully and lovingly packed by an expert hand to be transferred to his new home, where an immediate uncorking and spraying was inevitable.

Immediately I found myself in a field of lavender, clean and soapy, fresh, standing there marvelling at the purple opening of this wonderful fragrance. This overture could be a bit more enduring, but the following combination of lavender and myrrh is also very attractive. Softly and gently I am carried by it, waved around by a flattering, comforting warmth. While I've been feeling quite comfortably wrapped up for quite a while, the Tonka bean, bringing a My from Waldmeister, sneaks up to me on comfortable paths. Later it is accompanied by a fine powdery almond and a hint of vanilla.

Myrrh & Tonka is a wonderful companion throughout the day. From the fresh lavendery prelude to the powdery vanilla enveloping finish, I feel in good hands. The aftershave attitude often mentioned here doesn't show itself to me, it stays warm, soft and enveloping from beginning to end - even if the start - presumably due to the lavender - actually looks a little more masculine than the further course of the fragrance, the fragrance is definitely unisex according to my nose. The shelf life is with approx. 8 to 10 hours good, on clothing Myrrh & Tonka is still well perceptible on the next day. The Sillage should not be underestimated under any circumstances. If the scent veil appears harmless at first, it turns up significantly after a short time before it changes back into the skin towards the end.

Now that we've found each other, I'm looking forward to meeting you in the future and I'm still curious to see what inspiration the next holiday will bring me
Kanel
High heels want and get myrrh...
After a frustrating shopping trip (shoes and so on), finally some more test sniffing to maybe get something positive out of the day, into the turquoise giant....
And now just don't make eye contact with a saleswoman... do you know this feeling of playing Mikado in perfumeries, because the nice staff members still press the necessary test strips into your hand? I'm not a big fan of that.
Well, somehow and at some point everything was too late again and the young salesgirl put all her energy into finding a fresh scent for my work, which doesn't come too flowery and not too fruity-citric. We somehow striped Armani Code and finally ended up at Jo Malone - who already has a very pretty, exclusive pharmacy corner! After I was allowed to try my way through one of the two white scents, from the good side of power, which are quite workable according to my strict requirement profile (!!!)... i held a test strip of Myrrh & Tonka in my hand at some point... one from the dark side of the Force and yeah, the lady had unfortunately run out of memory cards. By the way, I find them very practical, because of the anti-mikado effect and you know what you smell and at all.

I've been sniffing this test strip for days The scent just didn't fade!
He cast a spell over me and had something reassuring.
In the end I bought this fragrance - then a real happening was made out of it, which I won't go into any further now.

Myrrh is - as Myrrh & Tonka already says - absolute program and I don't notice too much of the Tonka, you could only say: harmonic-seicht in the finish.
I find it a bit difficult to wear this fragrance in everyday life, as I don't think it is particularly feminine. Also not necessarily male, rather neutral or... in rem.
But when I feel nervously bad, which has been the case lately especially in the evening, I wear it to comfort the soul, only for me and that helps me immensely. As I said, the fragrance has something very soothing.
In fact, the fragrance can also be combined well with other fragrances and, according to my personal nose, it makes very good together with the H-100 anniversary, or in short with honey! That's certainly a combination that I'll dare to leave. But also with other tasty-sweet things he certainly makes himself good.
Apropos good, the durability I find quite good, on clothes it is even extremely good and long existent.
The only drawback is at the end of the bottle, as it is not completely opaque and I want to protect it from the sun's rays, it lies or stands in its very large box, into which a second fragrance of its kind would probably fit, which takes up unbelievable space. Not optimal, there will probably have to be some other solution.
Jo! I'm glad you exist.
I'm not doing too well right now. Parting You know the...
My stomach and also my nerves are scratched, even my favourite fragrances do not reach me properly at the moment. Are not the accustomed balm of my soul.

Yesterday then the way to the perfumery... just a look, maybe there is a substance with a healing effect after all. I don't know.

So I walked the corridors, bored and frustrated. Nothing smelled good, a uniform mush, cheap, mainstream - horrible....

Then I stood in front of the display, the shop in the shop...
uh, Jo Malone, I don't like. The smell I have is tasty at first but doesn't last... Expensive, but short pleasure, motz, motz, motz.
But as it simply is, however, times briefly about it sniffed, jo... quite nice does not tear me from the stool, quite nice, yes yes... and THEN - wummmmmmmms. WAAAAAAA IS THAT??????

At the beginning there is the soothing lavender that surrounds me, flatters me and lies around me in a fine mist. A little later the mysterious myrrh, which invites you to play and gives you more friendly thoughts. The Tonka powdery, sweet and warm complements the composition together with the vanilla perfectly. I drive home, exhilarated and sniffing at the back of my hand...

More than eight hours later, brushing your teeth... what's that smell? Whoo-hoo, is that you? Still? So determined and self-confident, despite toothpaste to perceive well? Wow.
It's now 14 hours. I'm sitting in the office. I washed my hands 5 times, and when I sniff the back of my hand, I still hear warm powdery vanilla that makes me smile and radiates warmth
A new love, is like a new life.... he will be my new one, this Jo! Right after work today I will pick him up and free him from the much too small box. Together we are free

SpicyDiceSpicyDice 128 days ago
Toller, leicht mystischer Duft für alle Jahreszeiten.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 7 months ago
BEST perfume by jo Malone. Balsámic and warm vanilla with very good longevity and noticeable projection. One of my favourite sweet perfumes
Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
A very nice winter fragrance: myrrh and tonka bean are noticeable, while I don't smell the lavender notes, at least on my skin. Recommended.
ScentedSalonScentedSalon 4 years ago
Sample before you commit: can be overwhelming and too sticky sweet. All about Tonka, nothing else.

by Phantomvamp
by Volja
by SpicyDice
by SpicyDice

Popular Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Oat & Cornflower by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Honey & Crocus by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone Orange Bitters by Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia (Cologne) by Jo Malone Jade Leaf Tea by Jo Malone Sorrel & Lemon Thyme by Jo Malone Midnight Black Tea by Jo Malone Tobacco & Mandarin by Jo Malone