Myrrh & Tonka (2017)

Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone

Myrrh & Tonka is a popular perfume by Jo Malone for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesLavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesNamibian myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesTonka bean, Almond, Vanilla

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 07.10.2019

8.0 8.0 10.0 9.5/10

Azucena
Now only autumn is missing ;-)
Yes, I am a fan of the darker and gloomier season. And now I have finally found a sweetheart that gives me the aura I need for the autumn season. I would like to report briefly on this.

But one thing at a time.

How did I decide to try the scent?
It's simple. I love tonka bean. And even more when combined in an interesting way. The title alone sounded very promising. I became aware of him here at parfumo by searching for tonka beans.

What do you get from Myrrh&Tonka?
In perfumery I was first irritated by the fact that it was not an eau de parfum, but an eau de Cologne Intense. The saleswoman said: a bit like an eau de toilette, only higher doses. If that's true, you can read below.

How does it smell or work?
The tonka bean is of course very present. You should like them. Otherwise, thanks to him, I mean knowing what myrrh smells like. In combination with Tonka: absolutely fantastic.
Yes, the fragrance goes in a sweetish direction, but it doesn't become a sugar bomb, but a rather spicy statement. I would never have thought that almond was in it - instead I would have suspected something like tobacco. But perhaps this is also the effect of myrrh in combination with Tonka.
Vanilla is also perceptible for me, but very discreet. Due to the presence of vanilla it is definitely unisex. It fits women, but it's not too cute for men either. There's not that much vanilla in it. :-)
By the way, I like lavender very much - but I can't make it out here with the best will in the world.

What are shelf life and Sillage like?
Great! That's quality. Sprayed on early, it is still well perceptible (on the skin) in the evening.
The Sillage is also good, you can make a statement here and attract attention - but with only 1-2 sprayers the whole remains suitable for everyday use and office.
In the evening it can be dosed higher, I can imagine that it also fits to the winter evening dress.

If you like these scents, you might like Myrrh&Tonka:
>the others from the Jo Malone series - because you can layer them all together. Cool idea, but not yet tried out.
# Replica Lipstick On, Maison Margiela # >woody-sweety-spicy - but NOT gourmandig, because I don't think he is!

For whom is it particularly suitable?
For me! D joke.
I see him in more dark-haired women (winter type, like me) and of course in men who can handle being "cute". It's also definitely not for younger people, so it's not a teen scent, but requires some maturity.

What shouldn't you expect?
Aftershave, as many here write. I don't think he's got anything from aftershave. It's really interesting how different it can work.

When can you wear it?
Economically dosed also during the day in autumn and winter. To cuddle in front of the fireplace. For going out in higher doses.

Should he be bought blind?
No! Because it seems to work so differently (aftershave), I strongly advise you to try it out before buying.

Would I buy it again?
The great packaging alone will bring me back. All in all, it looks very high-quality, both packaging and bottle - and the fragrance itself is definitely something special
8.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Zimtschnecke
Holiday, relaxation, cream brulée of tonka bean and the consequences..
I was on vacation recently. For the sake of relaxation we went to the beautiful island in the North Sea again. The sun was shining, the relaxation level moved quickly to the best level and shared, among other things, what one does on holiday, with light to medium-heavy shopping balanced the two sides of the scales - in a few words: It was perfect! Until, yes until this one evening: mega delicious food in a cosy restaurant in the dunes, in addition a perfect view of the sunlight reflecting beautifully in the sea and to the dessert cream brulée of the Tonka bean. The treat was a poem and I'll rave about it for years to come as the best Brulée cream I've ever had the pleasure of plastering.

If this were not the only downside of the famous holiday: The senses sharpened by the culinary sensation, the desire for a great Tonka fragrance was not only revived, but had to be immediately transformed into a shopping experience. Since I had already tested Myrrh & Tonka extensively some time ago and found it great, the fragrance was immediately chosen as a wish. Alone, all perfumeries on site could not come up with the object of desire. So we had to be patient and - again at home - quickly invest the freshly refuelled holiday energy in a visit to the well-assorted oasis of fragrance of trust.

I was inquired about the wish, it was confirmed directly, but of course this fragrance was carried and before I knew it, I was magically given a freshly sprayed test fragrance carrier in my hand. Immediately my nose caressed the fresh-clean lavender note, also myrrh could be guessed already, I was again inspired. Soon a small bottle was carefully and lovingly packed by an expert hand to be transferred to his new home, where an immediate uncorking and spraying was inevitable.

Immediately I found myself in a field of lavender, clean and soapy, fresh, standing there marvelling at the purple opening of this wonderful fragrance. This overture could be a bit more enduring, but the following combination of lavender and myrrh is also very attractive. Softly and gently I am carried by it, waved around by a flattering, comforting warmth. While I've been feeling quite comfortably wrapped up for quite a while, the Tonka bean, bringing a My from Waldmeister, sneaks up to me on comfortable paths. Later it is accompanied by a fine powdery almond and a hint of vanilla.

Myrrh & Tonka is a wonderful companion throughout the day. From the fresh lavendery prelude to the powdery vanilla enveloping finish, I feel in good hands. The aftershave attitude often mentioned here doesn't show itself to me, it stays warm, soft and enveloping from beginning to end - even if the start - presumably due to the lavender - actually looks a little more masculine than the further course of the fragrance, the fragrance is definitely unisex according to my nose. The shelf life is with approx. 8 to 10 hours good, on clothing Myrrh & Tonka is still well perceptible on the next day. The Sillage should not be underestimated under any circumstances. If the scent veil appears harmless at first, it turns up significantly after a short time before it changes back into the skin towards the end.

Now that we've found each other, I'm looking forward to meeting you in the future and I'm still curious to see what inspiration the next holiday will bring me

Kanel
High heels want and get myrrh...
After a frustrating shopping trip (shoes and so on), finally some more test sniffing to maybe get something positive out of the day, into the turquoise giant....
And now just don't make eye contact with a saleswoman... do you know this feeling of playing Mikado in perfumeries, because the nice staff members still press the necessary test strips into your hand? I'm not a big fan of that.
Well, somehow and at some point everything was too late again and the young salesgirl put all her energy into finding a fresh scent for my work, which doesn't come too flowery and not too fruity-citric. We somehow striped Armani Code and finally ended up at Jo Malone - who already has a very pretty, exclusive pharmacy corner! After I was allowed to try my way through one of the two white scents, from the good side of power, which are quite workable according to my strict requirement profile (!!!)... i held a test strip of Myrrh & Tonka in my hand at some point... one from the dark side of the Force and yeah, the lady had unfortunately run out of memory cards. By the way, I find them very practical, because of the anti-mikado effect and you know what you smell and at all.

I've been sniffing this test strip for days The scent just didn't fade!
He cast a spell over me and had something reassuring.
In the end I bought this fragrance - then a real happening was made out of it, which I won't go into any further now.

Myrrh is - as Myrrh & Tonka already says - absolute program and I don't notice too much of the Tonka, you could only say: harmonic-seicht in the finish.
I find it a bit difficult to wear this fragrance in everyday life, as I don't think it is particularly feminine. Also not necessarily male, rather neutral or... in rem.
But when I feel nervously bad, which has been the case lately especially in the evening, I wear it to comfort the soul, only for me and that helps me immensely. As I said, the fragrance has something very soothing.
In fact, the fragrance can also be combined well with other fragrances and, according to my personal nose, it makes very good together with the H-100 anniversary, or in short with honey! That's certainly a combination that I'll dare to leave. But also with other tasty-sweet things he certainly makes himself good.
Apropos good, the durability I find quite good, on clothes it is even extremely good and long existent.
The only drawback is at the end of the bottle, as it is not completely opaque and I want to protect it from the sun's rays, it lies or stands in its very large box, into which a second fragrance of its kind would probably fit, which takes up unbelievable space. Not optimal, there will probably have to be some other solution.
6.0 8.0 10.0 9.0/10

Jo! I'm glad you exist.
I'm not doing too well right now. Parting You know the...
My stomach and also my nerves are scratched, even my favourite fragrances do not reach me properly at the moment. Are not the accustomed balm of my soul.

Yesterday then the way to the perfumery... just a look, maybe there is a substance with a healing effect after all. I don't know.

So I walked the corridors, bored and frustrated. Nothing smelled good, a uniform mush, cheap, mainstream - horrible....

Then I stood in front of the display, the shop in the shop...
uh, Jo Malone, I don't like. The smell I have is tasty at first but doesn't last... Expensive, but short pleasure, motz, motz, motz.
But as it simply is, however, times briefly about it sniffed, jo... quite nice does not tear me from the stool, quite nice, yes yes... and THEN - wummmmmmmms. WAAAAAAA IS THAT??????

At the beginning there is the soothing lavender that surrounds me, flatters me and lies around me in a fine mist. A little later the mysterious myrrh, which invites you to play and gives you more friendly thoughts. The Tonka powdery, sweet and warm complements the composition together with the vanilla perfectly. I drive home, exhilarated and sniffing at the back of my hand...

More than eight hours later, brushing your teeth... what's that smell? Whoo-hoo, is that you? Still? So determined and self-confident, despite toothpaste to perceive well? Wow.
It's now 14 hours. I'm sitting in the office. I washed my hands 5 times, and when I sniff the back of my hand, I still hear warm powdery vanilla that makes me smile and radiates warmth
A new love, is like a new life.... he will be my new one, this Jo! Right after work today I will pick him up and free him from the much too small box. Together we are free
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

...bold game...
I spent well over an hour in my favorite perfumery that day.
The saleswoman, meanwhile acquaintance, did not really want to find something for me on this day. I've always been able to stay away from the Jo Malone bar, it's actually a shop in the shop. I didn't like highlighting a particular brand so much. Especially as Jo Malone is still relatively young in contrast to Creed, Penhaligons, Guerlain, Lubin and whatever they are called. On the way out, my friend shouted: " I may still have something for you! Come on, spray it on!" I rolled my eyes and let him persuade me.
A minute later and relieved by a few smells, I already found him quite good. After half an hour it's even better and after another hour it's just awesome. I came back and bought it. Only now did I realize the concept.
The brand's fragrances are not multi-faceted toilets or perfumes containing a hundred different fragrance components. Everyone is actually very simple in the composition. Only a few components, often only three, four.
The concept here is the same as with Etro. Allegedly all harmonize with each other and you can combine them skilfully. I rightly say "allegedly", because this is true for most of the representatives but not for all.
I would say the same for Etro.
After my acquaintance had explained all this to me, I also showed a little clemency regarding the big stand. Here the hottest mixes are presented.
What is very important is that most of the Jo Malones are also available in 30ml. I am not the friend of the 100ml ern.
Furthermore, the price/performance ratio is right.

The fragrance starts citric in the first few seconds, although it does not occur here in the fragrance pyramid. I don't see lavender or my nose isn't mature enough. Myrrh gets through just behind it easily and becomes more and more present over the course. Just like the tonka bean, it seems and becomes really metallic to me, which I - for whatever reason - attribute to the myrrh or my skin type. After about 1-1/2 hours the vanilla is added and rounds it off very softly. The metallic is replaced piece by piece. In the end it could even be that I catch some lavender or not?

Tip: If it is too sweet, I recommend to refresh the whole thing with Basil &Neroli by Jo Malone or Pimpen, especially in the warmer months. Comes very good. First I spray Myrrh & Tonka and then Basil & Neroli.
Well bekomms.
7.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Dark sweetness
When I tested on the mouillette and on my skin too this unisex scent it was love at first smell. It's a delight for the senses: deep, aromatic, sweet and warm but not intoxicating or sweeetish. A perfect acchord which seems played on the ebony Keys of a grand piano.
The classical Jo Malone 's bottle in the black version is a very luxuous object and it justifies part of the very high price of this perfume.
Maybe, in comparison to the abovementioned price, the sillage might be a little stronger, but this scent remains a masterpiece.
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

The resting traveller
Today the sultriness is pushing me down.

The sky is colourless, the birds are silent, there is no breeze.

I don't even like to pull up an eyebrow in amazement - too exhausting.
Even the interesting book I put aside.

Which fragrance fits into this stuffy atmosphere?
None ?
Yes - Myrrh & Tonka.

A Cologne Intense that moves the air again, and also the thoughts.

The cover betrays :
The song of a traveller about the dunes wrapped in twilight.
Matching the unreal twilight outside.
But the fragrance implies a soft dynamic through the tart fresh lavender.
The myrrh has a deep and somewhat mysterious effect - exudes calm, but no stagnation.
The traveller rests on his way.

Tonka lets him rest sweetly and softly - but he will open again - towards his goal.

Jazzy76 19 months ago
A very nice winter fragrance: myrrh and tonka bean are noticeable, while I don't smell the lavender notes, at least on my skin. Recommended.+1
ScentedSalon 3 years ago
Sample before you commit: can be overwhelming and too sticky sweet. All about Tonka, nothing else.+5
9.0

by Flossgunde
by Volja
by Volja

Popular Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin (Cologne) by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia (Cologne) by Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir (Cologne) by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Grapefruit by Jo Malone Nectarine Blossom & Honey (Cologne) by Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Orange Blossom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Earl Grey & Cucumber by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone Vanilla & Anise by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli by Jo Malone