Pomegranate Noir 2005Cologne

Pomegranate Noir (Cologne) by Jo Malone
Pomegranate Noir (Cologne) is a perfume by Jo Malone for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is spicy-fruity. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Top Notes Top NotesPomegranate, Raspberry, Plum, Rhubarb, Watermelon
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Gaiac wood, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Opoponax, Pink pepper, Rose, Frankincense
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Cedarwood

Submitted by TVC15, last update on 02.12.2020.

In 2015 the scent was additionally re-released in the collection "Rock the Ages".

PolinaSh
I stand beside a castle in winter
Pale skin, black coat, long boots, black turtleneck sweater, tightly bound highwaist pants, a necklace of pearls. Czech Republic...a mountain, on which a castle stands and gives me a view over the bohemian world.

I smell like a grenade. An expensive mixture, noble and special mixture...
It looks like a twilight in a luxurious company
The scent is very special and smells very expensive. In my opinion it does not suit every occasion and not every woman. You have to imagine something of yourself to be able to wear this fragrance.
The scent also lasts quite long It is worth buying it once, but you have to know exactly what you are getting the fragrance for and what you want to do with it...
No "everyday scent"
oh pom grenade noir. I love that smell. There were years when I wore it in every season - I didn't care if it was minus degrees or + 35°c ... now I only wear it in the evening, on cold, dark days. For me it radiates extravagance, eroticism and self-confidence. Absolutely no blind-buy, because it is special, mystical, dark, autumnal wet grey, a little berry, tart, spicy and woody. He was allowed to move in with me two or three times already and will probably always have a place in my collection (& perfume hearts). Durability is good for a Malone, lasts for 7-8 hours

Complex, sweet, addictive...
This is such a deep and complex one. It's polarising too, as not everyone will like this I think. I personally received a bad compliment from it, but I don't really care, I like it too much!

The overwhelming notes here are cloves and fruits, mainly plum and pomegranate. I would describe this as a "dry" fragrance. It's not juicy fruit you are dealing with but dried berries. Like the smell of goji berries, if you have ever tried them. The smell reminds me of that.

So I get berries and dark fruits, mixed with incense and clove smoke. Like the smell of menthol or clove cigarettes actually. It is very mysterious. I like it.

I wouldn't recommend wearing it in any high heat, as it's very medicinal in some aspects and can come across as a little harsh and/or "weird". But again, I believe that every fragrance has a time and a place so... I will continue to wear it.

To me this is a love or hate. I love it, but try before you buy. This has a very "unique" smell so if you are looking for a smell which no one else will have, go for this. I would also say that pomegranate is a note I rarely see used in perfumery, and for Jo Malone to pair it up with cloves and incense offers a delicious, interesting twist on it all. I really like it, and the longevity is so good, at least six or seven hours. For an eau de cologne concentration (supposedly) this is quite a feat. Try it if you are looking for something different.

LicoriceRain
A unique, intoxicating aroma!
Pomegranate Noir has an awesome medicinal berry opening. I think the raspberry, plum, pink pepper, and pomegranate blend very well together. Some say it smells like Vicks Vaporub, and I don’t want to disagree because I have always liked Vicks! But Pomegranate Noir reminds me of Plum Japonais by Tom Ford, minus the cinnamon, and with a better foundation (base notes). I’m sure the patchouli helps to keep it from fading too soon, but I’m not sure what frankincense smells like. (For some reason, the drydown actually reminds me of Spicebomb, although I don’t think they share any notes.) Overall, Pomegranate Noir smells good! A unique, intoxicating aroma.

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir
This has become my favourite fragrance by Jo Malone. I put off trying it for so long because I was scared I was going to hate it. I had read reviews on it months ago and they didn't shed the greatest light on it. When Autumn finally came around I decided it would be a good time to finally test it out. Let me first say that Jo Malone fragrances have really good lasting power on my skin and this one is no exception. Two sprays on my chest does me all day long and when it's time to go to bed, I can still smell it. The pomegranate, clove and wood is what stands out on my skin. It combines into something dark, mysterious and sexy with a slight edge to it. Love at first sniff! It just feels "special." I know this is considered unisex but to me this seems more masculine and better suited to a man. I will happily wear this throughout the long, cold, Canadian winter!

MemoryOScent
I know some people will envy me for this, but this one lasts forever on my skin...
This ones opens with a very mysterious accord. It combines the cold, bitter camphor with warm, sweet clove. Although it is clearly medicinal it feels very familiar and comforting. Perfectly balanced. These top notes are angular and feel like polar opposites. Ice and fire. I have an intense vision of a red ball floating in the air, covered in a thick layer of resin. Moving to he heart there is a fruity sweetness. But the use of fruit is almost ironic here. It is not sweet or cheerful. It serves to give substance to angular, volatile top notes. The base has nuances of patchouli and incense. Overall if I had to use one word to explain this it would be "ceremonial". Not something for everyday use but extremely comforting. It has body and substance. Very tactile.

What is truly remarkable about Pomegranate Noir is that it is the right perfume in the wrong line. Jo Malone colognes are light, simple, bright, even thin maybe. Definitely not ground-breaking. Pleasant but not remarkable. They are made explicitly to encourage layering with each other so they have to be simple. Longevity and sillage are not their strong suit. Pomegranate Noir is a masterpiece. Unique and memorable in every way. Adult, brash, moody, dark, mysterious but at the same time familiar, comforting and introverted. People who frequent the Jo Malone displays are probably shocked by this one and potential lovers will never go near the Jo Malone stands. If you read the official note listing you would think that this is another “everything but the kitchen sink” fragrance but nothing can prepare you for the unbelievable balance and depth of this composition. All I want to say here is “close your eyes and smell”! Everything smells better when labels are out of the way. Both literally and mentally. I was given the opportunity to experience this blind for a fellow bloggers blind sniffing annual post (La Gardenia nell'Occhiello) so this is my chinese portrait of this (as per the blind sniffing rules):
if it would be a colour? Red with depth and variation, like a glazed ornament.
if it'd be an animal? A cat: it moves slowly but powerfully. It imposes with its presence even when it is outside your view field!
if it'd be music? Dave Brubeck - Take Five: playfull but you know where it's going from the start.
if it'd be a place? It would be a jazz club: it is warm, but not quite comforting, you need to be on your toes.
if it'd be a cloth? A velvet coat: feels comfortable and soft but it is strictly "dress to impress".
if it'd be a movie/book? A Single Man: introspective but victorious.
if it'd be a personality (storical, pubblic,...)? It would be Charlotte Rampling: tiptoeing on the thin line between intellectuality and sinicism.

Notes from my nose: camphor, clove, pomegranate, patchouli, incense, cedar

Libation to Hades
Ah, the pomegranate, the mythical fruit of the gardens of the Underground, which was used by its King to tempt the innocent and vernal Persephone...she ate no less than 7 of the blood-drop-like seeds, bounding herself with this action to the Otherworld... Hoping to catch a glimpse of the Underground (in a strictly mythical sense) i sniff this black pomegranate.

Pomegranate Noir starts certainly with a splash of tart, crisp pomegranate and rhubarb. The fragance immediately feels intense and rich and the sour, almost acerbic higher fruity notes are just the highlights of an almost black ruby. I smell a patchouly that feels stoical and earthy in the company of the tannins of pomegranate. Clove gives a cooling effect, and I also get a note of unlit cigar. Gaiac wood adds savoriness and a smoked touch, not smoky. Dark wine and cedar. Flowers are there, but there are mere fecund shadows from the earth above, just like Persephone herself.

Pomegranate is beautiful in an unconventional way: it is violent, is truly dark, is mesmerizing... shame it doesnt endure as much as i wished. The drydown is a soft average woody patchouli. Nothing is perfect, this fits of passion never last too long...

The incense pops!
Pomegranate Noir does suffer from a lack of longevity. But despite that, I like this one quite a bit, and I don't mind reapplying after three or four hours.

The opening is fruity, and I definitely get a whiff of pomegranate and a faint note of raspberry. But this fruitiness is full-bodied and tart, like wine. It makes you want to turn it over in your mouth and savor it. (But don't. I am pretty sure it would taste terrible.)

When I wear Pomegranate Noir, the incense wafts up almost right away, and weaves in and out of a cedary, woody, patchouli-laced background. The patchouli is a very interesting note here, because it's not head-shop thick and oily, but light and airy. Well-done.

Overall, the experience is like sipping a dark red wine in a wine-cellar full of wooden barrels, with incense burning nearby.

I keep a bottle in my wardrobe because it is a distinct and unique incensy pleasure.

Syzygy73Syzygy73 3 years ago
Sweets, strawberry jelly and cloves, lots of cloves. This one is odd, a bit like Christmas in the Twilight Zone, with cloves, lots of them.

by Elena00
by MissBiscuits
by AmyAmy
by AmyAmy

Popular Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Honey & Crocus by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone Bronze Wood & Leather by Jo Malone Jade Leaf Tea by Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica by Jo Malone Orange Bitters by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia (Cologne) by Jo Malone Earl Grey & Cucumber by Jo Malone