Red Roses (1996)

Red Roses by Jo Malone

Red Roses is a perfume by Jo Malone for women and was released in 1996. The scent is floral-fresh. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies.

Mint, Rose, Violet leaf, Lemon, Honeycomb

Submitted by Chemist, last update on 30.04.2020.

CoutureguruCoutureguru 7 years ago

„Fraîche Rose”

DaisyDukesDaisyDukes 7 years ago

„Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”

Who rests - rusts ...
... not necessarily.

I'm still suffering from my feet - but I still felt like shopping.
Shopping on the net brings me nothing.
Bloodless, dietetic head cinema - without the full enjoyment.

I also order a coke "fat" loud and clear - and a sandwich should not have a diet of margarine.

So let's get into the turmoil - with the necessary rest breaks.
A resting phase leads me to the Malone Bar - where I like to return.

Oh - Red Roses !

I hadn't even led the sample paper to my nose yet - and I'm already standing in the middle of a rose garden.
Well, that's a word !
I, as Rosenresli, am in my world.

Although lush and intense, the fragrance is not pompous or even oppressive, but is cushioned transparently by the mint and lemon.
The creamy honeycomb reminds me of my rose " Peace ", which shines softly yellow, which does not harm my joy at the successful smell however.

Dietetically this rose fragrance is not at all, because here you get a wasteful bouquet of roses - even if it is not necessarily red in my imagination.

Fresh rose
As the name goes, Red Roses is quite all about rose, played in a way I really enjoy here. It’s fresh, green and breezy, probably one of the most bracing and crisp rose-based scents I’ve ever tried. It avoids any soapy-camphorous effect, far from any classic rose inspiration; rather enhancing the natural fruity-leafy side of rose (also thanks to some citrus notes). Truly a basket of freshly-cut wet roses with no frills. I am not aware whether they used some particular variety of rose here (or if they used real rose oils in the first place), all I know is that this fragrance smells fresh, pleasant and refined – that sort of relaxed, playful, understated “weekend” kind of elegance. Obviously perfect for any formal situation as well. A simple, maybe a tad boring after a while but really effective and highly enjoyable all-rounder.

7-7,5/10
2.5

Nothing particularly interesting
This opens up as a fresh garden rose bouquet. No green, no powder, no sweetness, just basic garden rose. It conjures up memories of the rose scented Barbie Doll accessories from my childhood back in the 80s. It's a basic rose Solifleur without much depth. It's fairly short lived. I got about 2-3 hours out of it.

Jun
2014

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Today I was given a sample of Red Roses with my Jo Malone purchases. I didn't expect to like it much after reading reviews, but I was curious. I have a friend who smells wonderful in Tea Rose. It's her signature scent and was also worn by her beloved grandmother. I've secretly always wanted a grandmother and I wanted to smell of roses.

Red Roses opened better than I expected. It's strong and fresh yet not sneezy. The lemon is clearly a back up singer. It nicely supports the crispness of the rose. My nose didn't detect even a hint of musk or powder.

Sadly, Red Roses gradually turns more and more "barnyard" on my skin. An hour or so after application I found my self wondering "what is that horrible odor?". I realized that it was emanating from my skin.

Without too much graphic detail I can tell you that underneath the "rose" and after the lemon fades- I am taken back to my days as a pony clubber. I've smelled this very scent as I mucked out my pony Anastasia's stall. I adored my pony and spend my childhood summers smelling of her- horse hair, grass, and sometimes manure. Her name was Shannon when I got her. I thought she was a princess among ponies so I changed her name.

As an adult woman, I'm more than a little horrified to smell of this cologne. It really smells disgusting on me for whatever reason.

I've also left it on for almost 8 hours.... On purpose. It's made me feel both a little repulsed and nostalgic. I'm missing those carefree days of summer when Stacia and I spent our youth together. I grew too tall for her and ended up on a part thoroughbred gelding. I loved him too, but it wasn't the same.

Stacia died when I was in my 20's. I don't think of her often, but when I do I cry. I feel silly about it, but the tears still form.

I don't know why this "turns" on me but I do not recommend buying this unless you can try it first. The top was pretty but it morphed into one of the worst perfumes I've ever worn.

Tomorrow I will wear Orange Blossom which stays fresh and pretty on me. Tonight I'm sleeping in it and hoping I dream of my childhood.

Fraîche Rose
It took me quite a while to get my head around this one ... I generally don't like the Jo Malone fragrances but I've persisted here and to my delight have come to recognize a fair bit of uniqueness about this creation.

I guess my newfound appreciation for Violet Leaf is tickling this particular fancy! I have a number of compositions in my collection containing this note ... Boucheron's Jaipur Bracelet, Gucci's Gracious Tuberose and Dior's Fahrenheit to name a few ... but not until Red Roses have I appreciated it fully. The crisp, almost metallic greenness my nose is presented with is most satisfying!
Strangely enough, I'm not one with a fondness for the sweet powdery, woody-floral scent of actual violets, which is due to the ionones in the flowers. The scent of violet leaves is different ... they give off an intensely green aroma which resembles mown grass with a hint of cucumber ... tout à fait merveilleux!!
The freshness of Red Roses is further exacerbated by the addition of Mint, which to some has lent this fragrance a 'toothpaste' mien. I don't get that feeling here ... rather just a slightly 'sparkling' idea, and a tartness provided no doubt by the Lemon.
When all is said and done, however, Red Roses is all about just that ... big, red, velvety Roses ... speckled with dew and the vibrance of a summer morning. I can't be sure what the origin of this Rose is, but it definitely is big and blousy, with none of the earthiness contained for example in Damascus or Taif Rose. Hazarding a guess I would be more inclined to steer in the direction of Bulgarian roses ... and yes, I know that most roses come from this strain but where they grow vastly affects the scent. Roses grown in drier climes are woodier in fragrance ... at least to my nose! I could also be completely wrong and simply be experiencing a well crafted aroma chemical :). I'm glad that I stuck it out on this one, and while I haven't become a Jo Malone convert I am a Rose freak and this one is sufficiently different to have a place in my collection.

The price Red Roses retails for is tragic (I have the bath oil too) and there are many 'less expensive but just as good' Rose frags out there.

Unfortunately I am just a glutton for a well crafted Rose!!

Jazzy76Jazzy76 2 years ago
It's the classic, old rose I usually don't like. It seems a vintage scent for mature ladies

by Baloma
by Baloma

Popular Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone Velvet Rose & Oud by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Oat & Cornflower by Jo Malone Honey & Crocus by Jo Malone Orange Bitters by Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica by Jo Malone Jade Leaf Tea by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia (Cologne) by Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone Midnight Black Tea by Jo Malone