Velvet Rose & Oud 2012 Cologne Intense

Velvet Rose & Oud (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone
Velvet Rose & Oud (Cologne Intense) is a popular perfume by Jo Malone for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is floral-spicy. It is being marketed by Estēe Lauder Companies. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Dark Amber & Ginger Lily

Damask roseDamask rose
CloveClove
OudOud
PralinéPraliné

Submitted by PontNeuf, last update on 18.11.2021.

Night Black & Rose Red
Jo Malone's "VelvetRose & Oud" has been part of my collection for some time now.
I bought the first bottle in 2017 from my first "real" salary - and since then the fragrance accompanies me in many beautiful and special moments.

It is not an (all) day fragrance - but something for the evening, the night, a dinner with candles, a classic sneak movie night...

For me, it perfectly embodies what I would call stylish sensuality.
Attractive, but not in a loud screaming "look at me!" way, but quietly - like a long look or a whispered promise.

Maybe it's because you never forget first love - but I have yet to find an oud/rose combination that I find so balanced and intriguing.
And that, although I once had a brief flirtation with a higher-priced and - admittedly - longer-lasting candidate from the house of MFK, which comes up with very similar components.

Possibly it's just the clove missing from "Satin Mood" that keeps drawing me back to my beloved Velvet Rose & Oud. In combination with the just-right amount of oud, the dark-red-fast-black rose and the praline notes, this spice component in VRO ensures that the fragrance doesn't slip into the bulky-opulent (which, in my eyes or nose) never mixes well with sensuality.

Velvet Rose is exactly what the name promises - velvety. And that from the very beginning.
For the first 3 hours, it surrounds me with a gentle yet noticeable sillage, before clinging close to the skin for another 4 hours or so.

The perfect fragrance for an evening with candlelight!

A magical rose
This perfume is all about the rose, a deeply colored rose I imagine blooming in the night air. It’s almost a mystical experience when I wear this particular perfume. It’s as if time transcends and I go back in time, walking in a fragrant garden. It’s absolutely mesmerizing. I love it so much after having bought a sample. I now own a small bottle and the shower gel. I don’t wear the perfume every day, but on the full moon. It just seems the right thing to do.
Jo Malone's Rose Garden
How I came to this cologne Intense, I still know exactly. Nachedem me a Tinder date has given the recommendation fragrances from
the house of Jo Malone to test I ran a few days later by chance over the Hackescher market. There you can find in the
Rosenthaler Street a concept store of the perfumer. I grabbed a tester and walked further in the direction of Neue Schönhauser.
Constantly I had to smell this tester. I was immediately under the spell and ran or floated as if on - fragrance clouds.

The scent is quite simple. A rich damask rose that immediately conquers the nose with its full, rich aroma and does not let go.
Another rose fragrance?
What cannot be overstated is how classy this rose is. I have never smelled such a quality!
On me it has a touching effect, cools me down and conjures
a gentle smile on my face. The strong, lovely rose dominates the experience from the opening to the end. Where the end is not reached before 6 hours
is. Also, the fragrance wants to be discreetly applied, otherwise it takes up too much space. 1,2, maximum 3 sprays are already enough, although you actually want to bathe in it.

Shortly after the strong opening, the oud begins to play with the rose. Bright, sweet and fine. After a few hours leaves with me the rose
decreases and the oud comes out more clearly. The play of the two notes changes, but continues.

The praline certainly adds to the sweet gourmandness of the rose. The clove announces itself only here and there, I take
they do not consciously perceive.

I love this fragrance for being so full, clear and classy. Its directness and simplicity is what makes it stand out. Have added it to my small collection, but wear it only
very rarely. It is fragrance that I love to smell, but not necessarily on me. He is clearly too feminine for me.
In my opinion, however, he can also not wear every woman. Such a simple,
but refined fragrance fits a multi-layered woman. Nothing for my Tinder date.
My First Malone Love
I promised to finally start reviewing my own fragrances. But as Felixwinds so aptly said in his review of Versace Dylan Blue: You have an emotional attachment to them. And yes it is like that. They're there, they've been with you for so long, and they touch you on another level.
Well then, Velvet Rose & Oud shall now be my first fragrance to review from the long-standing collection.
Fittingly, this was also the first Jo Malone fragrance I fell in love with. It must have been around 2016 when I was wandering around Centro after work and got stuck at the Jo Malone counter. Attracted by the pretty chandelier. I curiously find myself sniffing through the range. At Jo Malone, the fragrances are sprayed in the morning onto a ceramic plate that hangs in small containers with a pretty (Jo Malone-like) bow (figuratively explained so that even people who have never been to a counter can imagine it). This has the advantage that the alcohol has already evaporated on it and you can wonderfully sniff through the whole range.
I found many of the fragrances special and new to my nose because of their simplicity. Few fragrance notes, which you can fish out all for it. But one had it particularly done to me: Velvet Rose & Oud.
Why? I just love rose scents. I think that stands out a little bit in my collection, too.
So what did I feel when I smelled it?
I found it incredibly deep dark red and sexy. Just as I imagined a seductive fragrance. I also really like oud in fragrances. So it was a done deal for me. I picked it up.
To take the wind out of the sails of all those who compare it to OSM by MFK: for me, they are not to be compared. I already wrote a review on OSM and it just triggers something completely different in me and is much more complex sweet plus that great violet what's in it.
Back to VRO:
I always smell something citrusy for a moment when spraying it on, even if it's not listed in the pyramid. Then the Damascene rose performs as it's best! Deep dark petals with a depth that is unparalleled. For a rose lover simply a dream! It then very quickly becomes much spicier and warmer through the oud as it progresses. Oud also always develops a slightly leathery aspect on my skin, which I love, it coats the rose here and gives it that wild, slightly animalic appearance. This scent is made to seduce! Sweetness I personally hardly perceive, yet the fragrance is round for me.
Grab sexy lingerie and seduce your partner with VRO!
Meanwhile, I love layering the scent with Earl Grey & Cucumber. You get with it a unique tea rose oud fragrance. Can I definitely only recommend to test times.
The durability is bombastic with me.
When I wear the fragrance I feel sexy, which is why he is sprayed only for certain dates or when I want to seduce myself again ;)
Enjoy the Rose!
Dark purple Rose covered in Velvet
There are these dark-colored roses that hold all the secrets.
As "young things" they are not very different from their many beautiful sisters; but as they "mature" they gain a depth of form and fragrance that never fails to delight.
The petals seem to have lost their youthful enamel, but instead they are covered with velvet and carry all the almost mystical knowledge that this queen of flowers and women have in common.

"Velvet Rose & Oud" by Jo Malone is a new discovery for me; do I know and prefer the clear fragrances, as I first met and also still own and appreciate.
Often I have me here already about their beauty and the interesting combination of fragrances praising and enthusiastic ausgelassen.
According to the heavy, sensual rose scent, I actually expected a dark purple liquid; but it is only light beige. For this, however, rich in promise!
These roses have reached their full degree of ripeness, their flowering splendour; yes, in part certainly already exceeded.
Are they not then especially beautiful, when the velvety petals bend outwards and so - step by step - the golden "heart", consisting of delicate fine stamens, of the roses becomes visible?

This fragrance contains no youthful fire, no summery exuberance: it develops like a no longer quite young, no longer quite slender woman: knowing, sensual and enticing!
The heavy rose scents are spicy intensified by the added cloves; a little "prickly" this fragrance mixture when it settles comfortably and warmly on the skin.
Just as mature women are no longer without rough edges, but go their own way without losing their charm.
Over time (the longevity is surprisingly long-lasting for a fragrance from this brand), this rich velvety companion changes; it becomes a bit overripe, decaying, almost a bit ashy. Oud announces itself, almost making this spicy ripe rose concoction seem a little "dirty."
The future of the flower majesty knocks and this is called: past and memory!

I find this sophisticated, sensual rose scent to be exceptional, even though my "time of roses" has been over for several years.
As quickly as once I am no longer enthusiastic about these fragrances; therefore, the effect of "Velvet Rose & Oud" surprised me yet very much.
Is it Jo Malone here yet again managed to lure me into the net: Surprise!

This rose goddess in the typical JM flacon seems to have almost magical powers.
So I close this comment with Thomas Moore:
"And may the vase shatter into a thousand pieces; yet the fragrance of roses remains."
Is the rose boring?
For a very long time I have been looking for a rose fragrance that is not too pushy. Is that it? Anyway with the first sprayer: oh again a standard rose smell. With time you notice it is actually quite okay But nothing special
The rose is very strong, oud something in the background. Durability is very good! In my opinion 8h+, I apply it in the morning and in the evening it still smells good. Spicy rose mixed with light oud, but also smells a bit like old cupboard from the grandma ...
Spleen
Fragrance test, the first:
Flattering oud, overwhelming rose, extremely spicy clove (too spicy). I smell everything simultaneously and alternately. But I was also handed a cloth with a chemical, clearly smelling substance beforehand. Must have been doping his nose Scent test, the second:
Just on the nice Jo's test card. Still strong. Smells half a meter from the closed breast pockets. People's eyes say: "What kind of person is he and why does he smell like roses". ????
I thought it was a little too extreme. In the evening at home I want to smell the leaf again and notice that it is in the working jacket of the Spindt. All right, it's not long before you have to go back to work, I said to myself and looked forward to... work??? The purchase decision of my subconscious crept through creepingly?????.
Scent test, the third:

Wood Mystique Revisited??
I sampled this today on a bit of a whim ... and nearly dropped the tester bottle when I realized that yet another abhorrence has been committed by the Estee Lauder group of companies!!

'Velvet Rose and Oud' is simply another version of Wood Mystique and Perfume Calligraphy, stuck in a Jo Malone bottle and slapped with a hefty price tag (nearly $200 in this country). There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to own this when one has one of the others. The mortal sin here is that the longevity is not even close to the other two ... which are also slightly less expensive? WTF??? "Why?" ... was my first question ... followed rapidly with an eye blinking "how much??". Now ... I'm really not saying that this is a rubbish fragrance ... it's not ... but imho it's a completely pointless release. I already own Wood Mystique (which is why I didn't buy Perfume Calligraphy) and testing this one today has simply compounded my view that the same virus that infected Guerlain, Chanel, YSL et al has infected Lauder ... the place is run by bloody accountants! Gone is the creativity of the 'old' days ... replaced instead by catalogue supplied sameness. Aerin Lauder and the rest of the brood 'running' the place deserve to be turned over Grandma's knee and spanked really hard!! It's quite distressing :( ...

I wonder what Ms. Malone thinks of this one? As far as I can gather, she doesn't even create fragrances for her eponymous brand anymore, since her buy out by the Lauder Group.

ScentwitchScentwitch 3 months ago
A perfect rose perfume.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
When the masculin and oriental oud marries the Queen Rose the result is very good: flowery-fresh and mysterious at the same time.

by Entenradio
by Inadquate
by Lusiel
by Lusiel

Popular Jo Malone

Wood Sage & Sea Salt (Cologne) by Jo Malone Myrrh & Tonka by Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay (Cologne) by Jo Malone Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom (Cologne) by Jo Malone Oud & Bergamot by Jo Malone Blue Agava & Cacao by Jo Malone Saffron by Jo Malone Tuberose Angelica by Jo Malone Orange Bitters by Jo Malone Orris & Sandalwood by Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut by Jo Malone Ginger Biscuit by Jo Malone Amber & Patchouli (Cologne Intense) by Jo Malone Bronze Wood & Leather by Jo Malone Jasmine Sambac & Marigold by Jo Malone Honey & Crocus by Jo Malone Midnight Black Tea by Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede (Cologne) by Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia (Cologne) by Jo Malone