John Galliano (2008) Eau de Parfum

John Galliano (Eau de Parfum) by John Galliano
Bottle Design: Centdegrés

John Galliano (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by John Galliano for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-powdery. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Angelica, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Lavender, Peony, Rose, Violet
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Frankincense, Cedar

Submitted by Sani, last update on 01.07.2019

10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Oh, Johnny...
Four years ago I first heard about the JG edp. The girl told me how seductive he should be and already I clicked through the internet, he landed in my shopping cart and I ordered him blind. He was thrown after you at the time. 40 ml for under 20€, I could hardly do anything wrong. A few days passed and I could hardly wait to let him move in and test him. And then it was finally time... the carton not really appealing, the bottle for it even more. For that alone it was worth the money, but of course the content should be right. At least I wanted to smell seductive. So take him in the arm...

The prelude stings a little in my nose, but it quickly fades away. Then a cherry comes through a cloud of incense. This will stay that way for a while. Towards the end, the fragrance becomes a little more powdery, but still nicely smoky. Wow! In my nose pure seduction, attractive and mysterious.
Cherry was never anything that knocked me out before (and I am always surprised that I smell it so clearly, although it is not in it at all) and incense was not really known to me at that time. I was crazy and still am today when I spray it on.

It lasts very long on my skin and is very well perceptible. However, it should be dosed discreetly, otherwise it quickly becomes too intrusive and heavy.

Shortly afterwards I bought the 60ml bottle, although I wasn't interested in bunkering at that time. And then at some point I heard that production was discontinued.

Why are the best fragrances almost always adjusted or reformulated? A question I don't think anyone can ever answer.

So I was really lucky that I had stashed it.
And what happened to me today? I sprayed it up again for the first time after last winter. How much I missed him.
Out of pure curiosity I looked for how much Euro he meanwhile goes over the "counter". Over 140€ for a small bottle. Not bad. And then my eye suddenly discovered a supplier who offered a new bottle for 35€...only one bottle in stock. I couldn't believe my luck! Go to the shopping cart and now no second hesitate and buy. Don't blink, or someone else might be faster and Zack... bought... now I sit here smiling happily in front of me and can hear the glitter in my eyes! Happy me :)
8.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

Floristic Incense
Deep violet of iris and violet next to dark rose red and green accents, arranged as first-class floral greeting and enclosed exotic, balsamic incense for use in leisure hours. Short, short, clear, ready?
Not by a long shot! This is how it smells the first time the fragrance is sprayed on. But deep inside the heart of the perfume there are mysterious worlds waiting.
When roses and violets combine with incense, I find myself in a cool, stone hall, through stained glass windows in red and violet the sunlight shines and casts calming colored areas on walls and floor.
Wooden benches invite you to linger. Simple but beautiful flower arrangements are draped on a round stone table. Next to it bowls with glowing incense resin.
A benevolent "spirit" seems to live here, which has a calming effect on the mind.
A quiet rustling of the trees outside penetrates the ear. And the scents of fresh wood and good earth that penetrate through the tilted colorful windows mix with those inside. An atmosphere that holds soothing secrets is created. And their echo is the fragrance of John Galliano....powdery, smoky and "floristic"...
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.5/10

The Black Widow
John Galliano was once again a daring blind purchase from me about four years ago. But I have not regretted this purchase, because I liked this fragrance right away.

Yesterday I wore the bottle to take a photo of it at the central cemetery. I love this morbid melancholic beauty of old cemeteries and could walk there for hours. The old graves already radiate something special. But a cemetery is also a place where you can enjoy peace and quiet and let your thoughts flow.

John Galliano is not a discreet scent, but an intense powdery scent with an erotic radiance. Angelica and bergamot make the prelude. A heavy velvet dress of powdery iris, dark roses and violet violets soon follows. Something slightly buried, I think, too. The fragrance shows a powdery, light sweetness that makes me think distantly of dextrose. But it is not so sweet, the powdery scent character dominates. The fragrance is bedded on a base of soft amber, dark patchouli and some incense.
This fragrance should be dosed rather discreetly, otherwise you stand out with John Galliano. The Sillage isn't from bad parents either. I am also very satisfied with the durability and the bottle has been designed to match the opullent fragrance. But you only need to look at Mr Galliano's fashion, especially the haute couture creations from the nineties for Dior. Discreet is something else.
This fragrance envelops like a black deep purple velvet fabric.
Soft, tender, but dark and erotic.

John Galliano already has it in him and is the scent of a femme fatale. An erotic, feminine fragrance that reminds me of the seductive widow in black lace and silk from the film "DellaMorte DellAmore". A beautiful young woman, freshly widowed by her husband of old age, who then seduces the handsome young gravedigger. Unfortunately the cemetery is cursed and the dead come out of their graves at night and do their zombie-like mischief. The beautiful widow is finally bitten, dies and returns as an undead being..
I like pitch-black humor.
10.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Philosophic
I expected something different...but I got burned up garden
This was a good blind buy. After reading some rewievs on net I expected something sweet and gourmand, but I get oriental smoke with some roses and other flowers. It remins me a Rosarium by Angela Ciampagna. I really love the scent and even it´s longevity, but I am not pleased by bottle. It´s nice, but can be easilly scratched, and atomizer seems like a cheap quality one for me. PS: I hate, that it has been discontinued, I want more of it in years to come.

For the Hot People
I bought this perfume because the colouring and style of the picture on the box reminded me of the Biba makeup I used to buy from their store in the old Derry and Toms building on Kensington High Street. No matter the colour, matching lipstick and nail polish; perfect.

I sprayed myself with this perfume yesterday, in the late afternoon and was greated with a sherbert like fresh fruity sweetness and sharp musk; and there it stayed until I went to sleep. It had little strength but was tantilising, popular amongst my relatives, and hinted that the original must have been rather special.

It really didn't come into its own until early morning by which time the heat from my electric blanket had warmed it (and me) sufficiently to get it moving. This phase was dry woody, soft unburnt incense, sweet fruity, vaguely floral, musky, all over a base that smells to me of vanilla and benzoin (a bit like the cola bottle sweet smell that I find in modern Tabu). It doesn't evolve into a powder like or dusty perfume on me.

Post a jolly good wash, my skin smells woody with some vanilla, benzoin, and the mearest hint of succulent fruit and pinks; really pleasant.

I sprayed this perfum on my forearms which turned out to be too cool for this perfume to work. I am going to try it again but this time on my lower back to see whether or not that warmer area will improve its performance so that I can enjoy it whilst awake.

I bought this eau de parfum version, new, a couple of years ago in the 60ml size. Altogether a good buy and I am pleased I picked it up before the prices started to climb into silly money.

ColinM
A masterpiece and a sudden fall
Original EDP (90 ml format)

The original, early version of John Galliano (EDP, 90 ml bottle) is a fantastic, complex, incredibly well-crafted green-powdery floral scent exuding all the composition talent of Christine Nagel (which I recognized here even before knowing she was actually the nose behind this scent). Since the very first sniff, the original Galliano EDP is a harmony played around powder and balsamic notes, with a fresh, tart aromatic hint of citrus and bergamot, then green notes, soapy rose-white flowers permeated with a gorgeous sort of crystalline brightness all over, a hint of vanilla, amber, cumin, a sweet-woody note on the base, white musks, discreet chalky aldehydes. What surprises me the most here is the peculiar texture, which is really thin, transparent, somehow “grey-ish”, incredibly clean yet complex and “vertical”, with a stunning richness and deepness of notes; it is decidedly all on the “fresh-spicy-floral” side, so all rather silky, fresh and dusty (no creaminess, no “juicy” wet flowers)... at the same time, all incredibly sharp, crisp, luminous and invigorating. Apart from other Nagel’s masterworks, I also thought of L’eau de Givenchy and that kind of “fresh” green-floral scents. Violet and iris compose the powdery accord, and while the reformulated version contains more (synthetic) iris, here I actually get more violet. The drydown is impeccable, always slightly grey-ish (I guess because of aldehydes too) but at the same time crisp, balsamic, talc, halfway foggy and celestial, with a musky-powdery breeze melting with herbal-green notes. It constantly changes,yet remaining perfectly consistent. The persistence is long and close to skin. Far more discreet and refined than the subsequent version, and also more elegant, much better composed and with higher quality materials – if you want my advice, seek for this early version only (pretty easy to spot, they made it only in 90ml format, while the subsequent one was marketed in 40/60 ml bottles). Incredibly pleasant. Mandatory for all floral scents lovers (and for niche enthusiasts which snub designer scents... well, I still have to find niche floral scents which are able to stand close to this good!).

8,5-9/10
______

Reformulated EDP (40/60 ml format)

Now, the subsequent reformulated version - which I’ve been told was produced elsewhere, this leading to a new formula & new materials that affected the quality (boy, they did...). The opening, for instance: far bolder, more pungent, more sour than in the original version, and also at the same time more fruity and sweet. Basically: more tacky, or better say more “flashy”. By this I mean all smells richer, but an artificial, saturated, harsh and “on-steroid” kind of rich. All notes smell like if they’ve been inflated with some weird kind of gas. No trace of the discreet, complex, naturally-evolving refinement of the 90 ml EDP with its balsamic and crystalline sharpness; here's all more loud, more spicy, with a bolder and more pungent synthetic feel all over. I get quite a lot less vanilla, less flowers (and surely, far less “silky” than there). The structure is roughly the same, just all here is heavier, tackier, more synthetic and camphoraceous. Plus (but that’s not a defect), I also get a whiff of carnation here – something I didn’t get in the early version. On the drydown it’s all even more dry, artificial and synthetic, more heavy and above all terribly linear, pretty much identical to itself for hours - while the evolution of the first EDP is mutating, complex, “evolving” in its true meaning, reaching a peak of foggy-talc powdery refinement which you won’t really experience with this more recent version (that on the contrary, after three hours is still the exact same synthetic floral polaroid). Now I don’t want to overestimate the differences, the reformulated version is still decently nice... as much decent as just incomparable to the original EDP to pretty much any extent.

6-6,5/10
7.5 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Gothic unique perfume
This is indeed a gothic perfume well blended and very long lasting. It is very unusual yet dark and sweet all together. I like the bottle even if some mention that is kind of grotesque. For me along with VW Boudoir are the most gothic perfumes and all collectors must buy one soon. Thanks a lot Mr J Galliano for your master piece.
9.0 3.0 5.0 9.0/10

Magical
Traditional Turkish delight.
Candied violets.
Lavender honey.
Pink musk sticks.
All bonbons worthy of Antoinette's Versailles, yet taken together, far too sugary to bear!
After balancing the sweetness with incense and remarkably modest patchouli, book-pressed iris is added and then all is dusted in powdery aldehydes. Presented in an ultra-feminine flacon, this is the mysterious, mythical John Galliano Eau de Parfum - but take care, are there has been a reformulation: the original is by Selective Beauty, available in 60ml and 90ml. If your bottle is by Perfume Holding, it is the newer version and your mileage may vary.
7.5 7.5 7.5 9.0/10

50 Shades of Violet
From pale Lavender to the darkest Aubergine, John Galliano Created a scent In homage to the
Complexities of the Color Purple in it's many forms, I love how Mr Galliano has taken and
Layered 3 of the different shades of purple fauna, and let them Interplay with each other
Pale Lavender Caressing with Dark blue Iris Or Crushed dark Purple Violets mingles with Iris, It Conjours A dance of the Seven Veils with each veil slowly Revealing different
Shade of Purple ranging to Pale Lavender to the Darkest Aubergine The Incense adds a bit of
Exotica and Mystery A wisp of smoke slowly rises like a Serpent and dances among the Purple
Veils Adds Sex in John Galliano,

Almost all Aldehydes have this Sharp cold and Hardness in their Scent, But not in this one
It's Smooth and Devoid of the Coldness of that note It just Blends in and turns almost Elusive in a Few Minutes, Angelica adds a Bit of Herbal Freshness into J.G, As the drydown
Begins J.G Turns more Flowery due to the Presence of Airy Peony with it's sweetness,

As J.G Finishes Patchouli adds an Earthy primalistic uninhibited Touch, amber brings a bit of warmth Patches of Musk Gives An Animalistic side of J.G, Ceder Finishes with Dry Woods.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Gothic aldehydes
Aldehydes are usually associated with classic, more mature scents, but when blended in such a way like John Galliano has done, it takes on a whole new approach. These aldehydes are dark, gothic and sensual.

John Galliano loves anything couture, historical and theatrical. As he has stated, "my role is to seduce". I can see all of this reflected in his fragrance.

The scent opens strongly with a sharp burst of powdery aldehydes and something that resembles plum jam. Eventually the scent settles into a soft, warm floral with powdery rose, peony and violet taking centre stage.

The floral heart is what tends to carry this composition through to the drydown, where patchouli and incense provide a slightly darker, earthier component. Surprisingly the opening notes are the strongest, whereas the drydown is smooth and delicate.

The lasting power is beyond wonderful, I could still smell this on me and my clothes days on. It's a wonderful gothic fragrance that thankfully isn't too intimidating to the people around you. It's inviting and intriguing to say the least.

by Habanita
by Echtdufte
by Silverrain
by Silverrain

Popular John Galliano

John Galliano (Eau de Parfum) by John Galliano Parlez-moi d'Amour (Eau de Toilette) by John Galliano John Galliano (Eau de Toilette) by John Galliano Parlez-moi d'Amour (Eau de Parfum) by John Galliano Parlez-moi d'Amour Eau Fraîche by John Galliano Parlez-moi d'Amour Encore by John Galliano Before Midnight (Eau de Toilette) by John Galliano Parlez-moi d'Amour Gold Edition by John Galliano Parlez-moi d'Amour by Night by John Galliano Before Midnight (After Shave Lotion) by John Galliano Parlez-Moi d'Amour Charming Edition by John Galliano