Artisan Pure 2017

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos
Artisan Pure is a popular limited perfume by John Varvatos for men and was released in 2017. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by Revlon. Limited Edition

Petitgrain, Woods, Iris, Citrus notes

Submitted by Michael, last update on 24.09.2020.

My 1st Artisan Fragrance
I must admit that I expected more. It smells pretty good but a little synthetic too. Fresh, floral, citrusy and a bit woody as well. I now get the "miami" feeling that hyped this fragrance. It really smells very clean, sharp and invigorating. Good enough to cheer you up. I also get a bit of bitterness that I really like.
Longevity is decent. 6-8 hours range and subtle projection. Not too far not too strong but present enough to make yourself known when people are coming closer. It's that type of fragrance that I really enjoy for the warmer days. Being not that strong, you can wear it whenever you want. Casual, special occasions, office , dates and so on. Price is also good for it.
Even If I expected more I am still recommending it.
Overall rating : 8/10
Time will tell
Finally, I hold the fragrance in my hand with the bottle that looks like pure summer, and I'm looking forward to the first spray in the direction of Miami Beach.

After the first contact with my skin, I was really disappointed... ...citric citric citric citric. A world fell apart for me. But then the woody one slowly fought its way through and in this combination it was by far the BEST and UNIQUE summer smell I have ever smelled.

Simply only GEIL !
I can only recommend it !!

Citrous with soapy notes
If I needed to summarise it in short, I would say Citrous with soapy notes. This is what I'm getting. The good thing is that there is the addition of musk, making it spicier less grandma soapy. Because of that musk spiciness, I would say, yes, it is perfect for summer, but not for a very hot summer, perhaps summer evenings because it is a bit on a heavy side.
Blickwerk
donkeys, bad waiters and other side dishes
if you don't want my novel, just read the short version below.

about the history:

1. he is one I never want to miss, without whom it is unbearable at the sea or at 40 degrees on the terrace.

well, except on the same terrace, a donkey is grazing, which defecates tom Ford's mandarino d'amalfi.

students don't have that. not the terrace, not the donkey and also not the great mandarino - which by the way is really similar to this one, only younger and more urban, less rustic and less flowery.

2. but he's also one of those people who can't even put a tired smile on your lips. bright eyes or a "wooow, that's fragrance art" is clearly missing. but it can't go away either, no.

3. you have to give him credit for the fact that the opening (phew, believe bergamot, tangerine, iris, petitgrain) is insanely natural but also harmonious.
...almost like a high-priced - and with love homemade - fruit sorbet it comes along. you want to eat or drink it - but only in the first minutes - in any case. i at least
a good half hour later comes the "like the waiters in venice" part of the fragrance - the part where tipping is more painful...

no question: neatly dressed, polite, sober, clean and mainstream but not artificially, he comes to the table - but only after three waves and then only briefly.

he brings without words a solid cedar garnished with "clean musk" and iris of good quality and disappears directly. no biscuit no extras. and above all no limonchello for the bill.

what's left on the table at the end?

the cedar is like bread: a nice, high-quality side dish. but it doesn't taste good on its own! - but after 3 hours she is alone for miles and miles in this fragrance, at least if you don't reorder. äh sprays.

to finish the description: yes, amber's coming, but not much, I think.

in short:

head: citrus
heart: iris, petitgrain, clean musk
basis: cedar cedar cedar cedar little amber

altogether round, perennial and friendly, but no art.
Ntasprstr717
Why your first impressions are often wrong...
I am a big fan of John Varvatos' work, and Artisan Pure is a major reason for that.

At the first approach Artisan Pure actually doesn't smell very good to me - it opens with unbalanced and much too strong notes of marjoram and iris root. Fortunately the roughness disappears quickly and Artisan Pure reveals its aromas of citrus fruits, thyme and ginger. After just a few minutes, the fragrance opens completely and becomes a perfect powdery summer scent!

After the short opening phase and during most of the drying phase, one is able to smell strong chords of lemon, thyme and tangerine with a hint of musk. Unlike similar summery scents, Artisan Pure is quite complex.

And although Artisan Pure was launched as a men's fragrance, I can well imagine that it can also be worn as a feminine fragrance - the powdery dry period allows the fragrance to remain present even in hot, humid weather, while the thyme and citrus notes give it new life.

Sillage: Here Artisan Pure shines - you can immediately perceive a hint of lemon without being overwhelmed. After a moment, the lingering ginger and musk lend this non-intrusive EdT a more subdued but pleasant presence.

Shelf life: I was really surprised how long Artisan Pure lasted on my skin - I could still feel it 6+ hours later!

Versatility: Given the presence of musk and ambergris underground, I can see how the citrus and aroma chords work from the beginning of spring to the end of autumn.

Originality: I have found few summer perfumes as complex as Artisan Pure. Especially in an EdT - it works, lasts and leaves a great impression!
OmegApo
High praise from good old Jeremy, there must be something to it, I thought and tested him.
Thanks to Jeremy, I was very hot and curious about this fragrance and so I bought it. A top candidate, for the high summer and warmer days.

Fragrance: 9/10 citric, fresh, woody has a unique touch and super for over 30 degrees, plus a pleasant feel-good factor for the summer.

Shelf life: 7/10 for that it is a fresh scent, it is completely acceptable.

Sillage: 6/10 Something above skin level is already well perceived.

There is absolutely nothing you can say against the bottle, it is simply magnificent and fits perfectly for that summer feeling
A little tip on the side: In summer I would put it in the fridge for 1-2 hours and then put it on top ;D
The summer bathroom fragrance
Ok, the title is a bit exaggerated, but the journey definitely goes into this direction.

The flacon is an eye-catcher - at least from a distance. When you hold it in your hand, the stylish Gelfecht looks rather cheap. The bottle also shows small scratches and scrapes. Nothing bad, but more appearance than reality. Nevertheless a nice idea with the net pattern and it shows that a reasonable design can be created at a reasonable price.

What is annoying, though, is the atomizer. It is definitely weak and not fine enough. For comparison with TF products I spray e.g. 2 x breast + 1 x crook of the arm each = 4x. With Artisan Pure I had to spray approx. 8x, because simply too little comes out or the fog does not appear fine enough.

To the fragrance

The top note starts very citric and I can understand the comparison of some reviews with bath and WC products. Also here it should be noted that this is only a similarity/nuance. So it doesn't smell directly like WC cleaner - fortunately :) Despite the intensive citrus, which is synthetic, the scent is pleasantly refreshing. Surely perfect for hot days.

I must confess that I perceive only a fraction of the fragrances indicated. Of the citric ones, it is rather the lemon and some orange and that very concentrated. Afterwards the scent becomes more and more soapy. Again it is a nuance that reminds of soap without one could say that it now smells 1:1 like that. Fresh and clean, almost like on a department store toilet but only almost.

The basic scent consists mainly of this light soap smell. Otherwise I don't really care much about - heart notes, nil to me. In any case you smell fresh for several hours - perfect for warm weather. But also noticeably synthetic. That goes with the price point however okay.

The silage is ok, i.e. a miniradius can be filled but a space filler is not available here. The shelf life is ok for a summer scent. I guess the citrus scent lasted for about 1-2h and then gradually settled. The soap freshness lasts the next 2-3h. So from 4-5h the whole thing was just a skin scent with me. But it lasted for a few more hours, but only very weakly. In hot weather I can imagine that especially with the silage something is still going on. I had tested on warm spring days and the scent didn't get further than it should aka ~arm length ;)

Overall, I would say an OK scent. Value for money is good. From the fragrance point of view one or the other designer could be even more pleasant with a worse performance. As a showcase eye-catcher (at a distance) the bottle is definitely usable. Personally, I wouldn't buy it, because it is too concentrated and too synthetic. It was definitely worth a test and should I get the other artisans between the figner I will certainly stick my nose into it
Mr. Floral
Condorpilot1
Summer may come! Spring is already here
Being outside in the fresh air during the last days was an absolute must. Enjoying the sun, recharging your batteries with vitamin D3, walking alone in the park or lying in the garden and thinking about a holiday that won't happen for a while. Wear John Varvato's Artisan Pure perfume and you'll feel that summer is within reach.

Artisan Pure embodies everything an all-round all-rounder for the summer: a white one with a bottle decorated with light wood, the cloudy white colour like a frozen magarita, lemon, petitgrain. You feel like lying in the sun under a parasol. Yes - the Frozen Margarita fits perfectly into the staging. It doesn't take much, then already in a simple knitted fragrance everything is there to create a summery atmosphere. Also: If a man were to appear in the Raffaello advertisement, on this dream beach with palm trees in the background, and blue water - that would be the fragrance he would wear. But that's not to say that the scent is missing coconut, that would certainly make it exciting, but no, it doesn't need that here.

This simplicity makes Artisan Pure a linear fragrance that hardly changes at all. The same from start to finish - lemon, petitgrain, a little wood and a little soap. This soapy touch is reminiscent of iris, but it looks very artificial. However, at this price I cannot expect expensive natural iris oil. Petitgrain, incidentally, is obtained from bitter oranges, more specifically from unripe fruit or leaves. This gives a very tangy and sour impression at the beginning, but it is by no means penetrating. With time in the drydown, white floral notes emerge and give the fragrance a lightness and a little creaminess. But that's not the kind of creaminess I find in Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blance, it's much weaker. I find it a little difficult to compare the two fragrances. Both are citric but different in their own way. The citrus notes in Artisan Pure are much more synthetic but in no way pejorative than "chlorine cleaner". With Edition Blance, the lemon appears to be of a higher quality and overall there is more of a fragrance progression there than with Artisan Pure.

Still, this John Varvatos creation confuses me. I bought the fragrance about a year and a half ago and was pleased to find that the fragrance had a reasonable shelf life. With fresh scents this is certainly not a matter of course. But these days I am negatively surprised. Either I perceived the scent completely wrong or I sprayed too little. Meanwhile it hardly comes over 4.5 hours on the skin, the Sillage is unfortunately very pale. Actually, the scent is quite safe on warm days. But if it would shine a little more, it would not do him any harm. I think most people around you would like it. So he's too shy, although he doesn't need to be.

Whatever. Artisan Pure remains a solid addition to my spring/summer fragrances in my collection - so far at least. But wait and see if I buy it new when the bottle is empty. I'm honestly indifferent to that. Nevertheless: It makes me want to go far away, no matter where I take it and it feels good!
SvenScent
Refreshing towel in a bottle

The first impression of the opening: refreshing towel! Everybody knows the smell when you have torn open the bag and unfolded the cloth. This very strong, artificial-looking citric dominates the beginning. To me it's almost 'too much' the whole thing; and above all, it's not very innovative. On the other hand, however, extremely fresh and not unwelcome in summer
But the almost pungent citrus notes soon leave room for more. It becomes softer, a little flowery, a little spicy and a strong hint of ginger over the petitgrain. The citrusiness remains, but the fragrance then becomes woody-powdery, based on the iris and cedar, which is clearly visible under the woods. At this point, however, the perfume is already close to the skin and slowly fades away in a pleasantly smoky amber-musk mix
This of course already after a very short time, because the durability of this perfume is unfortunately not the best one. Which in my eyes is a big shortcoming. The described, but actually quite appealing fragrance is limited to a very short period of time
All in all a good summer scent - but nothing more. I can't quite understand the hype that sometimes broke out around this perfume. In my opinion it doesn't represent something special...
Summer is coming!
For me a very nice scent for the summer. It is citric-fresh, fruity and light, therefore perfect for leisure time, holidays or the office routine on warm days. The bottle is also very beautiful, as I think, because it is very different from the many others.

The only disadvantage is that it does not last very long and the overall durability and sillage are not really good

Finerthings8Finerthings8 8 hours ago
It is a joke of a parfum! Just a skin scent after a few hours. It has been hyped by few youtubers. There are better options in this categor.
BertolucciKBertolucciK 22 days ago
Strong opening with the petitgrain and the citrus. Then, it gets smoother, fresh and floral with a nice non-powdery iris and some woods.
Dan81Dan81 115 days ago
Sharp Iris with piercing Citrus. I agree with Jeremy that this fits spring/summer parties with white linen clothing/party. Crisp
KimJongKimJong 7 months ago
John Varvatos's best fragrance. It's not a very great thing, but it's rare to make a better choice when it comes to neatness.
LemonadiLemonadi 8 months ago
Ibiza in a bottle. Wear a white linen shirt, play some deep house, enjoy nature, wear this fragrance. What you see is what you get.
BumpyumaBumpyuma 8 months ago
Strong opening - less than okay smell - Projects below average for 1.5 hours - wanting it to end.
KingPinKingPin 20 months ago
A very fresh take on the classic summer citrus. There is a tropical note backdrop that I’m not very fond of, but it probably works for some.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
This refreshing creamy citrus cologne is just magnific. In the Varvatos line is second only to Dark Rebel Rider. Truly recomended!
AdityoAdityo 2 years ago
This perfume easily outlasts all other flankers of this house. Hands down one the best from the house of John Varvatos.

by Felix2109
by Yakoradio
by Mathias86
by Mathias86

Popular John Varvatos

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (silver) by John Varvatos