Artisan Pure (2017)

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos

Artisan Pure is a popular limited perfume by John Varvatos for men and was released in 2017. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is being marketed by Revlon. Limited Edition

Petitgrain, Woods, Iris, Citric notes

Submitted by Michael, last update on 18.10.2019

8.0 4.0 6.0 6.5/10

Soap and soap but weak
The Artisan Pure starts right in the beginning with a gentle soapy scent. The best comparison for me is with the green hand soaps you can get at the discount store. For the summer it is really ideal but the shelf life and the sillage are not so great (classic with fresh scents)

I can't personally detect a distinctive scent. It is perceptible on my skin and shirt up to 3h. The Sillage, can also be recognized by direct spraying by none of my interviewed test sniffers.

It seems that the Artisan Pure is more for you than for the environment.
My tip no blind buy!! It is pleasing, but the H/S slows my rating.
9.0 5.0 6.0 7.5/10

Leimbacher
No fear of global warming
The Artisans of John Varvatos - who would have thought that this series gets so many offshoots and so many fans?! I also own some of them and for the summer or even holidays in southern climes they are always a reliable choice. Whether as a refreshment after a shower or as a wake-up call on a warm spring morning, Varvatos has really hit the casual tooth of time. What can the latest scion, the white and pure variant?

It is unmistakably an Artisan, approximately the original mixed with Chanel's "Allure Edition Blanche". Creamy, with a slightly greenish wood base on which several citrus variations with petitgrain dresses dance in the sun. A slightly synthetic bitterness cannot be wiped off the fragrance, but this takes little away from its wearability or sympathy. It almost always works. It's sexy, stylish and casual. No matter how sweaty, no matter how hot, no matter how helpless you are. The perfect fragrance from April to August. Light orange blossom splashes even let it appear unisex and universal. More European this time than Caribbean and exotic. A reliable companion to the white shirt, whether on the beach or in the office. A good thing. Like a 4711 for the YouTube generation.

Flacon: as always with this range - unbelievably pretty and cool, high quality and attention to detail! The best flacons in the designer market?!
Sillage: Summertime means restraint
Durability: a little above the mauen Artisan cut - 5 hours is fine for his kind.

Conclusion: citric, creamy, woody, a little green, a little artificial - "Artisan Pure" is a must buy for fans of the series and a pure summer refreshment!
6.0 8.0 7.0 10.0/10

Liebesengel
A quick-change artist - very refined
Yes, he's very clever! For me more unisex and I love to wear it. My second from John Varvatos. First I got Artisan and Dark Rebel as rehearsals. I have taken the nobleman Artisan directly to my heart, but I haven't bought him yet ;-) Fortunately I got Dark Rebel as a present, he is my favorite for every day. It was clear I wanted more of Varvatos. So I blindly ordered this impressive charmer and didn't regret!

It is extraordinary, as well as great and combines all the properties that stand for a special fragrance. Eau de Toilette, in my case 125 ml. Because the EdT is, it fits, in my opinion, very nicely in spring and summer.

This fragrance develops differently than I know from men's perfumes. I'd say "reverse." At first it is beautifully soft and elegant, carried by citrus-orange notes (Calabrian bergamot, Spanish lemon, Valencian orange). He does not scream for masculinity, he hints at freshness and greets almost too sweetly. "Yummy" would be an absolutely wrong expression here, because it's much more than just yummy. It is a little tingling and very aromatic, no ordinary citrus notes, but directly a beautiful sound of several expressive components that make you want more.

This pleasure develops in an instant into a unique floral-fresh bouquet. Now it smells a little dark, refined and simply delicious! This interplay of coffee tree flower, jasmine, coriander seed, cardamom, orange blossom is very impressive. I don't smell single components out, but perceive it as a wonderful whole.

And then comes the surprise that was already felt at the beginning. When I first thought it was almost too "flowery" for a men's fragrance, the fine bitter note slowly comes to light. This note is masculine and gives off an excellent fragrance colour. There are fine woods paired with sensual tonka beans. Spicy fresh Angelica root and flowery sweet musk grains give the Artisan Pure its unmistakable character.

This exciting fragrance makes this Artisan Pure the quick-change artist! At the beginning "tender" and at the end really smart!

The bottle is not as stylish as the Dark Rebel. Too bad, it doesn't match this sophistication. Also the durability is not so tingling, after 4-5 hours it becomes very easy, but for me no problem, then I spray more often. With the size of 125 ml and a reasonable price I like to do it ;-)
9.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Vrabec
Sympathetic- solid summer scent.
Boa. Solid fragrance for the summer. The scents work well and complement each other perfectly. Fresh, citric it looks, even after hours and then gets something of cool fresh earth.
Unbelievable with what a short bravura this fragrance slips past the unisex. This fragrance has a lightness, which brakes sharply shortly before feminine and then opens its cool beer pleasurably. And in the end he stands for exactly that: shift back a gear and put it in the shade. Cause it's summer, damn it, and it's way too hot anyway.
So... i have my problem with summery perfumes, they will never be my darling, but this one pleases. This fragrance does not take any risks, so it doesn't catch on and smells pleasant for the environment. But that's exactly why he doesn't get beyond "rock solid" for me. But among the solid scents, it's clearly one of the better ones
6.0 3.0 4.0 4.0/10

Drakecito
Bright in the first ten minutes. Later, boring, cheap...
It starts well, with citrus fruits quite well achieved and bright, but this effect fades in less than 10 minutes.

The drying is more sweet and soapy, like the shampoo of these large Carrefour, quite synthetic and what is often called "generic". It ends up smelling pretty cheap.

The wake is always poor, with a merely decent longevity.

In short, there are worse, but it has been another disappointment.
9.0 7.0 7.0 9.0/10

Basti87
Beautiful alternative for summer temperatures
I've been keen on this scent for a long time. Highly praised, hyped, often mentioned and also here he gets away with 7.9 very well. Especially since john Varvatos is also a brand that I like and is usually not represented in the big perfumeries and department stores. For me a great brand with fair prices. I definitely wanted to test this one. Hypes are not always justified for every taste, but I like to test such fragrances anyway. I find the concept very interesting for midsummer and warmer days. In the end, curiosity won and I bought this one blind. With more than 40 Euro a 75ml it is not cheap, but affordable and not a scent you can do a lot wrong with.

The bottle is a real eye-catcher for the first time and fits perfectly to this summer feeling. The entire Artisan range has pretty flacons and the other JV fragrances are also really stylish. For bottle freaks definitely an eye-catcher and nice gimmick.
To the fragrance: This pyramid is of course so completely incomplete. The pyramid you find on other pages seems to make more sense. Especially at the base. But from the beginning: There's a lot of petitgrain to start with. For those who don't know them: This note is obtained from leaves of citrus plants, especially bitter orange. This note comes very close to the Neroli note. One notices quite clearly, as I immediately get a slight resemblance to 4711 and Neroli Portofino freshly after spraying on. Fortunately, after a few minutes this lies down. I don't feel bad about the freshly sprayed top note, but this 4711 Vibe is more of a bore. Here rather in a penetrating version, which fortunately lies down fast. The petitgrain is accompanied by some bitter citrus fruits. Fresh, tangy and summery pleasant. Also slightly herbaceous but fresh notes blend in. The other pyramid contains marjoram and thyme. That's quite possible. The rather pungent top note quickly turns into a wonderfully soft mix of petitgrain citrus and a white flower note is also added. Not too feminine, just fresh. Even a soft iris note mixes in and creates a soft fresh mix perfect for warm days. Also the drydown is splendid with light woods and musk. After an initial disappointment, I really like him later and he is a great companion to feel good. The very big wow doesn't come with me like in many other fragrances, but for some days this is exactly the right choice. It can keep up with many expensive fresh scents and in the blind test one could have bet on Tom Ford, MFK or Acqua di Parma. Qualitatively I find it to be quite high-quality. Even if it's not a real twin: For me a great replacement for the slightly overpriced Mandarino di Amalfi by Tom Ford. Citrus fruits and later soft, a similar DNA. Who does not want to spend quite so much, is well served with this. I do not find the specified twin HM applicable.

Performance is completely ok for a fresh fragrance and it lasts a few hours with pleasant sillage. It also lasts quite long on clothing, which makes for a pleasant fresh touch with this fragrance. Otherwise the Sillage is something about very closely and top for hot temperatures and pleasant summer feeling.
Above all a scent for everyday life and leisure for the warmer season. Due to the gentle and slightly creamy nuances, it is actually also unisex suitable.
I can recommend this fragrance even if it doesn't completely rob me of my mind. The offer of such DNA's is simply too large for it. But: Definitely a feel-good scent!

A Fresh-Classic Citrus Bomb

SOTD: John Varvatos Artisan Pure EDT: As of 02/04/19

Purchased it blind buy @ my TJ Maxx where I live, it was a good buy getting a 125ml with a traveler decant to go along with it, I don't regret my purchased, and from reviewers on YouTube gave positive inputs about the fragrance, and my only knock and even as other people have said that all John Varvatos fragrances have poor longevity/performance. This is my 1st John Varvatos fragrance, and so far I like Artisan Pure, is a Citrus bomb, my nose detects all citrus notes from the bergamot, lemon, mandarin orange, petitgrain, and clementine and with the hint of musk, ginger, amber. It will be a rotation for me for the summer, and to me is a must have in any collection.

Rating

Scent: 7.5/10
Design/Presentation: 8/10
Value: 5/10
Longevity/Performance: 7/10: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around between 6-8+ hrs
Overall: 7.5/10

My 2nd wearing of this fragrance as my office SOTD as of 03/11/19, to my nose still is just a pleasing fresh citruses scent that is well blended, my noses detects the petitgrain, and various citruses notes. A fresh scent both Jeremy from Jeremy fragrance and Timmy from Imagine Scent give highly praise to this fragrance as a spring/summer scent that can be worn with a white sleeveless t-shirt. My only knock off on this fragrance is the longevity/performance it lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 6+ hrs even though I oversprayed between 9-12 sprays. Overall is still the same a 7.5 out of 10, still a great and superb scent for the spring and summer. It will be part of my spring/summer rotation. The scent to my nose is like walking in a orange/citrus grove giving that orange/citrus vibe.

Great Opening
This one gave me hope that John Varvatos was going to not let me down again. I love many John Varvatos fragrances but they tend to suffer from bad performance. This one did not disappoint, but is that a bad thing?

9.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Without frippery
So after the excitement times something quite simple and simple. You don't always have to write something ironic, which some people don't understand. You can also just write something nice.

I can also be objective, completely without irony and limit myself to the essential.
Lemon
then Iris
then wood
Ready!

I'll come around the corner with a description. But without frippery, or as the Frenchman would say...Firlefooons.
I've now gone through some Varvatos this year and they weren't all bad. The one that was best for me and therefore came into my collection was the Artisan Blu, because it was completely different again. Slightly aquatic with herbs and citric freshness, as the name should suggest, but the aqua was rather boring and not aquatic at all.

Objective or?

For a long time I looked at the Pure and was afraid to test it properly. The first time I smelled it on paper the Pure reminded me of my Chanel Allure Edition Blanche.
Yes, I have to use the comparison again, because it was like that and because the Chanel is one of my favorite scents.

Nice not true?

So I put it on the long bench, as they say, but I found the lemon interesting in the beginning and I sprayed it on myself from time to time while passing by. I'm also into citric, so it wasn't surprising.

Limited or?

To the fragrance.
At the beginning very citric caused by an artificial lemon, supported by a little neroli for me, but also the petitgrain may be, then it quickly gets a little powdery in the background by the iris. That's very nice of you.
While the lemon falls into a basin full of vanilla with my Chanel, this one makes the jump into the powder box here. So two different scents.

I'll say. I was there. Honestly now.All factual.

Then there's a lot of wood. Light light wood. About as imaginable as balsa wood, or how it smells when wood is sawn. This way. That's it... everything without frills.

That is in the sum very nice and could be taken with small price also times. But I do not have to have now compellingly immediately particularly since the durability was with me also rather mau.

Maybe someday and if it wasn't nice and without frills.
10.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

John Varvatos for the summer
I love this lemon because it is fresh, light and intense but never intrusive. It's a fragrance that doesn't annoy people in the office, for example. This makes it, in my opinion, the perfect business center. Somehow I'm imagining myself smelling a coffee-like base. In any case, Artisan Pure is a very beautiful lemon / wood combination with a soft, warm and pleasant finish. I also think that Artisan Pure smells anything but artificial compared to other current releases.
What Dark Rebel is for winter, Artisan Pure is for summer. In addition, both Varvatos - at least on my skin - have an above-average durability for Varvatos fragrances.
Artisan Pure is able to push my all-time summer favorite Tous Man Sport from the throne.
In the 125 ml version, this first-class fragrance also has an unbeatable price/performance ratio.
7.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

The Scent DNA that leaves you craving for more
It was a dark and gloomy day, the clouds were immensely gray (that rhymed & didn't plan it) right out the door I put on my jean jacket and my all stars were on point. Went out for a drive and walked around the mall to do some shopping this is when I started to get the hints of the powerful citrus coming from the new release from the house of John Varvatos 'Artisan Pure'. After getting together with some friends and sushi a few hours into it I was still getting a nice sillage from it. Still not direct compliments as of yet but ladies reactions are fairly positive. The notes of Lemon and Bergamot are the ones that I notice the most. I got to say this scent dna reminds me somewhat of the all time classic & affordable 'ck. one'. If anyone else feels the same let me know. This is perfect for spring/summer day or night but it has this sense of romanticism in a very nostalgic route, let me explain. Imagine you're with a significant other by the water slowly kissing her and enjoying her presence while she continuously compliments how good you smell because of how much the scent lingers in the air. I say nostalgic because you're not dating this girl any more and when you put on "Artisan Pure" thoughts automatically take you back to that romantic date.

My overall assessment:
Great spring/summer wear could be even your signature scent. I have an issue with it in the performance category but it's not the type of fragrance that's going to be loud. This is more of the pleasant scent with decent projection. A great citrus scent but top notes die down quickly after 30-45 min. Versatility is king with this one.
Wonderful scent would totally recommend to add to your collection.

-performance: not great / just average
-presentation: 8.5

Sprays: 5-7
I always spray in the back of my hand because I like to constantly smell the fragrance transition in my skin.
I don't spray any perfume in my clothes — enough with the dna to automatically blend in from the skin with the clothes you're wearing.

My rating for John Varvatos Artisan Pure
Average: 7.0 / 10.00
9.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Best Fragrance Release from John Varvatos
Due to various reviews and the relatively good rating here, I recently took the opportunity to test it in Vienna. First of all I would like to point out that I can understand the rather worse evaluations here well. The beginning can indeed be compared with WC cleaners or various citric cleaning agents - but if this is overcome, you are rewarded with a creamy wooden lemon. Towards the end he develops more and more in the woody direction and reminds - as already mentioned here - of ISO-E-Super. Of course it fits perfectly to the current season and weather conditions and also in summer I will gladly fall back on it. It lasts about 10 hours with me, whereby at the beginning the citric impact dominates and at the end only woody nuances can be seen.

Since I didn't have a citric scent in my collection so far and this one has a good P/L ratio (40 € for 75 ml incl. JV cufflinks), I decided to go for it.
9.0 6.0 6.0 9.0/10

AsulynS
Pure Happiness in White Bottle.
Imagine a coffee shop, a cup of coffee, sunglasses, sun, and a pleasant breeze.
Perfect Composition and Good Notes.
I Prefer to wear this in summer days.
Score: 8.5

Varvatos Back to Front Again!
9.0 8.0 7.0 10.0/10

Sunshine in a bottle
I just purchased this fragrance and the citrus opening really dries down into a musky woody scent. Very nice for work and play. Awesome presentation and worth the money. I cannot express how versatile this fragrance is and will garner compliments.

KingPin 8 months ago
A very fresh take on the classic summer citrus. There is a tropical note backdrop that I’m not very fond of, but it probably works for some.+1
AmberScent 14 months ago
This refreshing creamy citrus cologne is just magnific. In the Varvatos line is second only to Dark Rebel Rider. Truly recomended!+3
Adityo 18 months ago
This perfume easily outlasts all other flankers of this house. Hands down one the best from the house of John Varvatos.+3

by Profumosam
by Yakoradio
by Mathias86
by Mathias86

Popular John Varvatos

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos Dark Rebel by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (silver) by John Varvatos Artisan (Aftershave Lotion) by John Varvatos