Dark Rebel (2015)

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

Dark Rebel is a popular perfume by John Varvatos for men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-leathery. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesDavana, Jamaican rum, Cardamom absolute, Cuban sugar cane, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesSnapdragon, Nutmeg, Black pepper, Black leather, Styrax absolute, Fir balsam
Base Notes Base NotesAkigalawood®, Balsa wood, Castoreum, Mexican vanilla, Tobacco leaf, Prickly cedar

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 19.08.2019

10.0 7.0 6.0 10.0/10

The Jack Daniel's bar at the Bikertreffen
That's exactly how I feel this scent, and no different. Since I already own and have tested several fragrances of John Varvatos (and I love them all without exception!), I had to get a sample of this so interesting described out. Many thanks to Liebesengel for the generous sample! This is my first comment and I try to express my impression of this fragrance as best I can. Be indulgent! ;D

I'm coming home. It's 13:17 and (about!). There's the scented mail outside my door. I'm aware of the contents. It's tingling in your finger. This anticipation you feel. Almost like Christmas at the age of 9!
I storm into the apartment and go straight over the package, the shoes still on my feet and the university backpack on my back. And there it is: the rehearsal, the scent that I was so excited about as I had never been before! I MUST like him!
Without batting an eye, the glittering cloud from the small bottle flies purposefully through the air and resolutely encloses my forearm. I inhale:

WHISKY!!! Yeah, I know, there's rum in the pyramid. It's whisky to me!
Wow, I've never smelled such a scent before. I'm not gonna stop sniffing my arm. It is such a familiar, slightly bold scent that conjures up associations in my head. I suddenly stand with my father on a crazy meadow, we drove there with his Chevrolet Blazer. Around us white pavilion tents, under which bearded guys with sunglasses and leather cowls sit on wooden benches. We're standing at a black bar with his best friend. They order next to us. I smell the drink from the black cup my father is holding in his hand. Jack Cola. I get to sip once, a highlight at 14. And yes, that's why I smell Coke in the top note!!!!
Later a few bikers with their Harleys drive slowly past the parking cars of the visitors. We're watching. Shovel heads and fat boys. The smell of tobacco smoke rises up my nose. Not disturbing at this moment.

It begins to dawn: the lawn is flattened, a few drinks have sloshed over it and cigarettes have been kicked out. We're going to the car.
Sitting on the blue leather suite of the Chevy, I smell my jacket. I see the motorcycles in my head passing us again. I'm comfortable. That was a great day!

I love this fragrance and will definitely buy it, because it brings me back to this day and apart from that - I like it very much because of the composition of the fragrance. In fact, he only stops from early afternoon until evening (+-6 hours) , then he gets on his bikes. A little skin cream smeared underneath, and it'll last another 2 hours longer with me! So that's not a problem
9.0 6.0 6.0 8.5/10

The sheep in wolf fur
While browsing in the perfumery I noticed several beautifully made flacons. All with the same design, but with different color schemes and materials of the exterior decoration.
I was particularly taken with a raven black bottle, which was also wrapped in black leather straps. I became curious and sprayed the noble stuff onto a test strip.
What I then got up to my nose did the name of the perfume credit: a dark rebel, with an intense tobacco smell and a rich leather aroma, which was also seasoned with a little black pepper. The whole thing was garnished with a good shot of rum.
I was thrilled and added the perfume to my wish list.
Thanks to Scentence I was able to buy a bottle of Dark Rebel at a very decent price from his souk and now had the opportunity to test the brew on my skin The fragrance started just like the first time, with the fragrance components on my skin developing even more beautifully than the first test. Bull's-eye ? Unfortunately not quite ...
The top note is soon accompanied by a woody undertone with restrained black pepper. This spice is perfectly woven into the other tones of the opening and the early dry-down, which unfortunately starts much too fast.
In the base at Dark Rebel unfortunately not much happens anymore and compared to the top note I would like to call the base note rather boring. It sounds relatively unspectacular to me with a strong synthetic tobacco note after 4 hours.
Too bad, here surely more would have been possible.
In spite of the weak base and the unfortunately only very mediocre durability and Sillage, I like this smell very much. I see this perfume, because of its limited shelf life, as a discreet night scent for the cooler evenings in autumn/winter.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

This rebel is mine!
Honda Deauville in champagne color. Serpentine roads, winding and fast! Tight biker clothes. Black leather. Curious looks when I take off the helmet and let the blond hair fall over my shoulder. Those were exciting times! Sometimes I miss her...

One spray from the cool bottle and I can have my fun again! Oh, my God, this scent is driving me crazy... I would have liked to use a different expression here, but I don't want to heat up the minds of some readers ;-)

This smell is uncanny... uncanny beautiful! There's something wild about him, and I can see why he's called Dark Rebel. The first thing that emerges is a pronounced masculine note that sets the tone. Clearly leather, but fine, clean, accompanied by the noblest tobacco aroma and embraced by the bubbling champagne, which is supposed to be rum.

Ironic smile, the wink. My Dark Rebel ain't no macho, I don't go for them. He has a sense for beautiful things and loves my skin. The course of the fragrance promises the tension, it does not take long to come. At first very idiosyncratic, rebellious and dominant, he shows his dark, unexpected side after a few hours. Still masculine, but strong shoulder offering, protective and even compassionate. Only you can't be misled by it. He's in charge and wants to be in control.

After a while, about 5 hours, the true face comes - simply tasty, marked by an irresistible tobacco accord with a hint of vanilla, caressed by Akigalawood, which I like very much. The leather jacket is undressed, the champagne is drunk and what remains is the unforgettable mild dominance that I like to have on my skin.

No, he's not a seducer! He's no gentleman either. He's a free spirit, a rebel with a strong-willed character. But I can always rely on him, he stays true to himself!

And in December, when the Motor Show starts again in Essen, my Dark Rebel will accompany me there and keep the cheeky guys away from me. There we will have a look at a lot of Ford Mustangs and have a lot of fun ;-)

PS: Honestly, I have rarely experienced such an excellent tobacco aroma with perfumes! That makes me really addicted! And the bottle is a feast for the eyes, even in my feminine perfume cupboard. Price performance ratio for the size (125ml) and this quality is more than fair.
8.0 7.0 7.0 6.5/10

ScentSlave
Oh how i love my leathery darkness...
... if only this one could last me a few more hours... it kills me, these gorgeous leathery tones that fade away after a few hours... this guy has a signature to his style, he just runs and hides after parading around so loudly in the beginning... I absolutely LOVE the scent, but just like so many other dark And leathery scents, it vanishes a tad too early...
7.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Feuerfuchs
Nuances of a pub visit...
This fragrance is my first choice if I have the feeling I would have to wear a black leather jacket in autumn!
I noticed the fragrances of John Varvatos in the Kaufhof because the bottles have a nice shape. This one here especially with the tightly wrapping black leather straps and the black glass bottle the dark look is well done. Great job...
A kind of bad boy touch and this is supposed to reproduce the scent with something dirty and rude.
Dark Rebel is a very intoxicating, smoky and lively fragrance that contains notes of leather, resin, burnt sugar, rum, wood and tobacco.
When spraying on a power cloud of rum comes towards you. Then directly strong leather.
For me, however, the Dark Rebel only has the expected performance at the beginning. He starts very strict that you have to watch him not to overspray him otherwise a suffocation death threatens. He would certainly be one of my favorites if he could hold out a little longer. In football I always say "he was tired fast... fast"!!!
After 4 hours only light to feel on the skin. Unfortunately
The fragrance goes well with autumn and winter, but less well with spring and summer due to its heaviness and hardness.
8.0 6.0 5.0 7.5/10

Loudmouth
Today the Dark Rebel tested and also here I would like to let you participate in it
I have a bottling about Gekko sent to me, which I here again once cordially greet.

What can I say...got up this morning, got ready for the office and used the perfume with 3 sprayers.
Something came up in the morning. A complete Rumtopf with sweet fruits poured itself over me and I had thought first, everyone in the office would think I had drunk yesterday.

I was awake here at the latest, because you can't escape this top note, it demands your full attention and it's also really good.

That was worthy of a rebel who opens his face properly and clearly says what's going on.

What followed relatively fast was leather and everything else, I have no plan like lion mouth, or Akigalawood smells, but all in all it was quite original, but flattened with me unfortunately quite fast.

There's supposedly a lot of ingredients in it, I don't think I've seen such a long list before and since I'm not a full professional now, I simply took the whole picture as an opportunity to rate.

Leather and rum were the only constant in the fragrance in my nose and since I have an air-conditioned office, it wasn't too warm for the fragrance even today. Unfortunately the whole thing didn't last long with me altogether. After about 4h the perfume was only easy to perceive and either you have to take more, or it is so on my skin.
But I'll try it out and take more sprayers next time.

So the Rebel seemed to me then more like a big mouth, which then when it comes quickly fucks.

That's a pity, the scent knows how to please otherwise, nothing that changed the world, but I still liked it quite well.
10.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

Carlitos01
Dark, dirty, smoky, boozy, wet tobacco, black leather, burnt rubber
This is a case of loving or hatting a scent at the first sniff.
Dark, dirty, smoky, boozy, wet tobacco, black leather, burnt rubber.......very manly.

This fragrance promises to be the Katrina hurricane of fragrances, but the wind never blows stronger than 30 miles per hour. You just get a thunderstorm premature climax. It's a pity because I REALLY LOVE DARK REBEL.
Performance kind of sucks. After two and an half hours you barely get more than a skin scent with 2~4 inches sillage. It does not get much better if applied on clothes.

Yesterday I saw the movie "Run Away Bride"for the 10th time and my disappointment with the Dark Rebel performance has been similar to what Ike / Richard Gere felt like in his weeding. IT also took me only 3 minutes to fall in love with this EDT.

Let's see the math for John Varvatos Dark Rebel:
- Scent: 10.0 (my judgement - the scent is just GREAT - over manly)
- Longevity: 7.0 (under average for the existing notes - less than 6~7 hours, 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 6.5 (4 feet at its peak with 3 sprays; projects for less than 2 hours)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (preetty unique, considering the existing fragrances that I am aware of)
- Wearability: 8.0 (all year round day or night, except hot temperatures)
- Versatility: 7.5 (yes to clubbing, socializing, events, restaurants, bars, dates, romancing, sex, office, picnics, weddings, movies, birthday gift to your best friend, work out.... as long as you stay less than 2 hours in any of those situations; Otherwise you will become scentless. Avoid summer activities)
- Quality: 9.0 (my judgement; It should be a 10.0 with decent performance)
- Presentation: 10.0 (simple but very bautifull and effective)
- Price: 8.0 (100 ml tester for 27 Euros + VAT + shipping)

Overall rating: 8.47/10.00
Will I buy it again?... yes - because the scent is out of this world.... (it's dark, dirty, smoky, boozy!!!!)

Turnarounds:
1st trick - This fragrance is the child that resulted from the marriage between A*Men Pure Malt and Encre Noir. I tried to layer it with Carven's Vetiver and it turned a little more darker and doubled the performance. :-)
2nd trick - Apply a bit of almond oil on your skin and then apply 3~4 sprays. No scent change and you almost double the performance.
10.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

The Dark Knight
“What is that smell?” “Ah, 'tis the smell of the beast that is London,” he said. “Best prepare yourself, my lady. On a warm day such as this, the odor does not improve.” His words were unfortunately prophetic. Still, the smell was not as overwhelming as she had feared it might become and not all of the elements that made up ... - The Dark Knight, Elisabeth Elliot.

Luckily, John Varvatos Dark Rebel is anything but a bad smell, packaged In a very bold, elegant, and unique way. The cap has the exclusive JV mark embossed, an awesome silver Fleur de Lis, and the bright black bottle is wrapped by a twisted rubber thread. From the moment I smelled the cologne, I knew that I liked it. What makes this fragrance a good one? I am not sure, but it was only when I started wearing the scent a few times that I notice it has that very mysterious appeal. I’ll be sharing my personal opinion about it.

JVDR opens up with a blast of boozy sugarcane rum, it has a bit of a kinship to a daiquiri, and then you get undertone of the spicy cardamom, and the aromatic sage, the latter a bit more dominant. There are no zesty notes in there, yet the opening is fresh, a kind of medicinal, warm and balsamic.

More spices continue this direction as black pepper and a beautiful nutmeg provide the transition to the leather accord at the heart. Every black leather jacket I have owned has had the same smell; animalic with a bit of oiliness. The presence of the snapdragon adds a darker kind of jasmine smell to it, and a little bit of dangerous feeling to it. This is the aspect that reminds me the Dark Knight because that is the smell I get if I think of that.
The leather is really black and dark, thanks to the fir and styrax providing the enhancement to the excellent accord.

The base opens on a lovely golden tobacco which is roughened up with some woods, and the new Akigalawood, a softer version of patchouli whit less earthiness and more herbal and spicy facets. Both vanilla and cedar add that creamy and buttery facets, making the drydown so warm and wrapping.

The aromatic fragrance that blends boozy, woodsy, and smoky notes of various ingredients makes JVDR a masculine scent, giving a little bit of mystery and excitement, highly provocative, bold but not too overbearing.

Its longevity Is excellent and will last for several hours, yet the sillage is strong. it is a scent that is perfect for nighttime and for special occasions like when you are going on a date or you are attending a business meeting. All of the notes makes me think that this scent if for cold weather, so start wearing it from late autumn up to early spring.

-Elysium
8.0 7.0 8.5/10

Surprised me
I received a sample of this not knowing what it was, and ended up liking so much that I ordered a full bottle. Dirty boozy opening that settles down into a mix of tobacco and a campfire. This is nice for summer nights, and though I haven't yet owned it during a fall season, I imagine it will be perfect once that comes around. I'll have to give it a few more wears before coming back to rate its longevity.
8.0 8.0 9.0/10

Damn good
Man, where to begin? There's darkness that comes from the black leather, booze and castoreum notes but what I think draws the younger crowd and women is the vanilla, clary sage and sugar cane.

If you've been collecting scents for a while you know the big negative mark with Varvatos scents is the lack of projection and short longevity. Dark Rebel may not be the boldest and longest lasting male fragrance but compared to its predecessors from this house this release is pretty good.

In the world of perfumery it seems that oud is the big note right now, quite often it seems to pop up where you least expect it, though there is none here this Varvatos scent's dark start on my skin has me thinking of that note.

Such a great concoction of many notes, what I think bridges the dark and sweet/greenish notes is the tobacco, definitely evening wear and for cooler temps. Impressive and not ridiculously expensive. This and Platinum from this house really stand out.

Carlitos01 49 days ago
This fragrance promises to be a hurricane, but the wind never blows stronger than 30 miles per hour. Fantastic perfume, performance sucks.+4
10.0

Dark Rocker Rebel on the Road again
by Toreter
by Toreter

Popular John Varvatos

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Dark Rebel by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos Artisan (Aftershave Lotion) by John Varvatos