Dark Rebel (2015)

Dark Rebel by John Varvatos

Dark Rebel is a popular perfume by John Varvatos for men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-leathery. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesDavana, Jamaican rum, Cardamom absolute, Cuban sugar cane, Clary sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesSnapdragon, Nutmeg, Black pepper, Black leather, Styrax absolute, Fir balsam
Base Notes Base NotesAkigalawood®, Balsa wood, Castoreum, Mexican vanilla, Tobacco leaf, Canary Islands juniper

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 28.07.2020.

Rquill67
Tobacco, sugar, and love in a bottle!
Tobacco, sugar, leather and pepper are the notes that I smell most in the dry-down for this fragrance from the house of Varvatos; and is my favourite of this house. I love wearing this fragrance and it doesn't smell designer. More niche. I highly recommend. It's sweet, woody, and spicy; well blended and different from other men's fragrances that have the same accords. Varvatos has done it again. This is a 10 / 10 for me! I highly recommend!
Blondi
Leather jacket type "nice son-in-law"
Anyone who associates this scent with a biker's bar covered with smoke clouds has probably never been in such a bar before.
This leather jacket is probably only worn by a well-behaved polo shirt - business student, who would rather eat a glass of still water and an egg sandwich in the Tupperware in the ICE, instead of loudly bawling at the bar and ordering a rum without everything! This guy is not a rebel.
Sure, Dark Rebel smells a little bit like leather, but I was a little disappointed by the brave lightness. He smells fresh and light-hearted, but he is nothing special, unfortunately. Not smoky, not dark, but rather everybody's darling. The shelf life is not very long either, but that was not surprising. I find this fragrance unobtrusive like a deodorant. Okay, but that's it. This leather jacket has never been in a bar or sat around a campfire..
Chizza
The robe wearer in a dream
They called him Tough Joe. Everywhere in perfume country he was known as the dark rebel with the leather robe. He was known as a raw-boned journeyman, with a mouthful of rum. Here he behaved like a pig and so he stained his robe every time he "drank" so that the leather and the rum always merged. That was his style, he was a bit proud of it when he got the partly disgusted, partly appreciative looks of his biker colleagues.
When he started with his biker gang, the grandmother quickly went off the road and the bourgeois with their fancy sledges watched that they slowly turned right. Nobody wanted to risk trouble. There he enjoyed the wind, the lifestyle, the fluttering fringes of his leather jacket. When he wasn't in his robe. That was his thing. No one could touch him. Every once in a while, he'd just hang out. He liked to spend his time with tobacco, either self-made, because all the brands, nobody could do anything about it. Just Roth Deal or Harvest23, they went. Joe was a guy, one brand!

"Yo-hoo! Food's on the table!" it echoed through the house. "I'm coming, Erna." Jörg pulled himself up and shook off his thoughts. He played a little bit with the Harley miniature, put it away with a sigh and looked at the Sons of Anarchy poster again. The miniature had been given to him by his troop of riflemen for his anniversary a few years ago at the Bolles Klause. He smiled, let his eyes wander over Edeka's rum and quickly put in his e-cigarette with blueberry liquid.
About the fragrance: Dark Rebel is a beautiful fragrance but by no means as much leather and as fierce as they like to portray. The leather smells very good in combination with the rum, but rather charming, pleasing; rather after a club visit in the evening and you want to attract attention. The others wear sweet-spicy or a sugar water, you wear sweet leather yourself. I don't mean all this in a disrespectful way but I would like to classify the scent in a reasonable way. Dark Rebel is a dazzler somewhere, he is not a tough guy, but he would like to be one. The rum is getting weaker and weaker; it can't stand much. The tobacco is mild, the leather standard imitation leather; not a noble piece of seating furniture in a bar, more the furniture store stool.
As I said, a pleasant and beautiful fragrance. One should take it as it is. And this is not a leather bathass scent but a pleasing sweet-spicy scent with leather in it.
From Macho to Softie
I'm a motorcyclist, but I would never think of riding a Harley. I like the smell of leather because it reminds me of rides. And so after many positive reviews I bought myself a blind buy.

The first spray is like special effects, a whole firework of scents. Rum, campfire smoke, leather, wood, spices... Dark Rebel shows what it can do. It's impressive That's where the picture of the Harley rider comes from, although I never imagined that they were actually interested in scents The rum lies quite fast on my skin and remains only recognizable when sniffing directly. The main tone is now a clean smoke of a cosy campfire, leather and a resinous-balsamic sweetness as undertone. The special effects fade.

As the fragrance progresses, the entire construct becomes softer. Like a guy roasting some more marshmallows on a smoldering campfire in his girlfriend's forest.

The fragrance awakens many images and emotions in me and I love to smell it. Again and again I sniff my wrist when I sprayed it on myself. The durability and silage could be better for such a masculine scent, but are still ok. 5-6 hours on my skin. The bottle fits perfectly to the theme and is ingeniously designed (just the black cap with silver fleur-de-lys).

And unlike many here, I think the scent is easily wearable. The rum evaporates quickly, the projection is not excessive and the heart and base are more versatile than you might think. Only to the suit Dark Rebel does not fit at all in my opinion.
LeGourmetNRW
The Batmobil with E motor and 40 KM remaining range...
First of all, I love that smell.

John Varvatos Dark Rebel is for me definitely a buying tip from the fragrance DNA and the price/performance ratio.
The perfume is NOT for everyone but has its own target group and DNA.
It is not for nothing that many people call it the "black leather jackets" perfume because it smells like everything we associate with leather jackets, bikes and bars when sprayed on the jacket, as if on the skin.
A strong but for me very pleasant alcohol flag (rum) mixed with tobacco, leather and pepper makes you think directly of a Harley Davidson with leather jacket, rebellion and a smoky and Jack Daniels pregnant pub. Definitely not for everyone but just as well imaginable for me in a discussion in heavy old leather furniture in a salon or casino among whisky lovers.
The scent starts very strong and ge (or miss) falls immediately. It polarizes.
Unfortunately, this fragrance has its problems in the durability. On my skin it lasts for 3-5 hours and after 2-3 hours it can only be smelled by people who come very close to me (there are not really many). Here I must really say DAMAGE. If there would be a longer durability and effect I would really want to declare this scent a must for every head or hobby leather jacket wearer.
Careful, he's wild!
When a friend told me about this candidate for the first time, he tried to paint a picture of the mysterious smoker's bar, where the haze of heavy Monte Christo combines with the sweet steams of the willing port ladies to end in a hitherto unknown melange. Oh man!

I booted of course immediately to the fragrance dealer of my choice, dared a first nose and... was disappointed. The spice was too chummy, the whiskey note too tangible.

But I should be deceived, because after a few minutes on the skin the dark rebel built up, penetrated only reservedly into the nose, filled me with temptation, lust, resistance, unconventionality.

I took immediate action, paid, hastily left the perfumery, tore down the foil, and pressed the spray button at least eight times. It was like intoxication.

I felt wilder than ever, I didn't need headphones or an iPod to hear Iggy Pop, and I started to feel the scent of life.

Even after hours I felt the rebel on my skin.
If you want to dance through the city like Tobey Maguire in Spider-Man 3, you should hang up the Dark Rebel
Onkel2000
Better to wear than to test
I have had this fragrance in my collection for over 1 year, but never dared to wear it. Thought the colleagues in the office would ventilate directly when I came in. I liked him directly, but he's very special. Has an extremely strong charisma - boosy, "dirty" and somehow unbearable I thought. Had sprayed him to date only on the wrist and not dared me any further. This morning I picked it up by chance and as it is cool and dirty I thought it was too bad to spray it only on my hand. In my opinion, it develops much more beautifully and "cleanly" on the body. I'm positively surprised. Really a beautiful fragrance. Compliments are less to be expected because it's really not mainstream but you don't feel like you stink or that the environment has to open the window to ventilate. According to this clear buying tip, but in the summer better keep your hands off it, it is too "heavy".
The sheep in wolf fur
While browsing in the perfumery I noticed several beautifully made flacons. All with the same design, but with different color schemes and materials of the exterior decoration.
I was particularly taken with a raven black bottle, which was also wrapped in black leather straps. I became curious and sprayed the noble stuff onto a test strip.
What I then got up to my nose did the name of the perfume credit: a dark rebel, with an intense tobacco smell and a rich leather aroma, which was also seasoned with a little black pepper. The whole thing was garnished with a good shot of rum.
I was thrilled and added the perfume to my wish list.
Thanks to Scentence I was able to buy a bottle of Dark Rebel at a very decent price from his souk and now had the opportunity to test the brew on my skin The fragrance started just like the first time, with the fragrance components on my skin developing even more beautifully than the first test. Bull's-eye ? Unfortunately not quite ...
The top note is soon accompanied by a woody undertone with restrained black pepper. This spice is perfectly woven into the other tones of the opening and the early dry-down, which unfortunately starts much too fast.
In the base at Dark Rebel unfortunately not much happens anymore and compared to the top note I would like to call the base note rather boring. It sounds relatively unspectacular to me with a strong synthetic tobacco note after 4 hours.
Too bad, here surely more would have been possible.
In spite of the weak base and the unfortunately only very mediocre durability and Sillage, I like this smell very much. I see this perfume, because of its limited shelf life, as a discreet night scent for the cooler evenings in autumn/winter.

ScentSlave
Oh how i love my leathery darkness...
... if only this one could last me a few more hours... it kills me, these gorgeous leathery tones that fade away after a few hours... this guy has a signature to his style, he just runs and hides after parading around so loudly in the beginning... I absolutely LOVE the scent, but just like so many other dark And leathery scents, it vanishes a tad too early...
Feuerfuchs
Nuances of a pub visit...
This fragrance is my first choice if I have the feeling I would have to wear a black leather jacket in autumn!
I noticed the fragrances of John Varvatos in the Kaufhof because the bottles have a nice shape. This one here especially with the tightly wrapping black leather straps and the black glass bottle the dark look is well done. Great job...
A kind of bad boy touch and this is supposed to reproduce the scent with something dirty and rude.
Dark Rebel is a very intoxicating, smoky and lively fragrance that contains notes of leather, resin, burnt sugar, rum, wood and tobacco.
When spraying on a power cloud of rum comes towards you. Then directly strong leather.
For me, however, the Dark Rebel only has the expected performance at the beginning. He starts very strict that you have to watch him not to overspray him otherwise a suffocation death threatens. He would certainly be one of my favorites if he could hold out a little longer. In football I always say "he was tired fast... fast"!!!
After 4 hours only light to feel on the skin. Unfortunately
The fragrance goes well with autumn and winter, but less well with spring and summer due to its heaviness and hardness.

Carlitos01Carlitos01 13 months ago
This fragrance promises to be a scent hurricane, but the wind never blows strong enough. Fantastic perfume and flask, performance sucks!

by Achilles
Dark Rocker Rebel on the Road again
by Toreter
by Toreter

Popular John Varvatos

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (silver) by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos