Dark Rebel Rider 2016

Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos
Dark Rebel Rider is a popular perfume by John Varvatos for men and was released in 2016. The scent is leathery-spicy. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesBitter orangeBitter orange
VanillaVanilla
Atlas cedarAtlas cedar
PatchouliPatchouli
Woody notesWoody notes

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 30.06.2021.

Leprince069
If it suits you, it's really good. Otherwise not.
A very gloomy, dark, evil bully scent. If I had to give it away, then to a Hells Angel or Bandidos biker. Not a classic mainstream scent and not one that will appeal to the mainstream. It smells really strongly of leather - but not this leather jacket leather but more this leather couch, leather seat or bar stool leather, which has already been properly affected by tobacco and alcohol excesses. It just doesn't fit me. It would be wrong to say, just because I'm not the type, that he's bad or crappy. He's just not right for me. If you want to settle in that bad boy corner or weigh at least 100 kilos and and your arm is wider than the bouncer, then you can consider this fragrance.
N471v3
That's why I'm Back in Black...
Since my taste, but also my fragrance perception has changed, I now write a comment on my current impression of this perfume.
You can read the old version below, as I find it interesting to observe how a taste can change over time. :)

When I wrote the old Kommi, I was not yet very Oud-geeicht, it was then still a new scent for me.
Meanwhile, after I know oud well, and love, and have found my favorites with it (Versace Oud Noir, Oud Wood, M7, etc..) I can also differentiate it better.
And I must admit, Oud I smell out here now not at all.

Instead, I'd say "Rider" is actually a cleverly reworked version of Dark Rebel, relying more on leather and smoky accents. What struck me as oud at the time is probably the combination of saffron, leather, cocoa, the smoky notes (oud is partly smoky, after all) and all the spicy aspects like tolu balsam, etc.
Where Dark Rebel just already most revolves around the rum, here is now black, smooth leather in the center, - just like the jacket around the bottle! :D Theme thus perfectly met, thank you John Varvatos!
Really pleasant and great to smell, especially if you like DR but don't necessarily need the boozy note all the time.... (who wants to always smell like booze throttle...)

I find Rider now really succeeded, I "feel" the fragrance really. Unfortunately, the durability and silage is not as good as the normal Dark Rebel, but noticeably worse. Too bad, because just the leathery heart note has me so taken... fits as I said perfectly to the eingelederten flacon, and is just right strong dosed and embedded in the rest.

Despite the rather weak performance, I'll wear Rider more often now that I own a flakönchen of it, and spray on generously! B)

I can highly recommend the fragrance, even if the performance is rather poor. You can spray on yes more, and on hair / clothes etc., so you get safely through the day.

Keep it rockin' guys!
(Soundtrack: Back in Black, AC/DC)
~~~{ Original comment: "To dark to rebel" }~~

Preface
At the outset, I must note that I am a huge fan of the original "Dark Rebel". (See also my commentary on it if needed :) )

So now when voices were raised that this flanker might knock him off his throne, I naturally got suspicious. Since in Dark Rebel Rider no rum is listed, as it contains its big brother yes, I had of course the hope he still forms in addition a similar fragrance with yet other ingredients, thereby DR would be more portable for me (because you do not like to smell every day after rum ;P )

Now when I was in the Lila Duftbazar, I happened to catch sight of the little brother dressed in leather jacket. The bottle looks crazy cool, and also feels great, with the cute little leather jacket. I had to test him of course immediately on the skin - a leap of faith that not all fragrances get with me. :)

Two familiar things rose to my nose immediately after opening:

1. Dark Rebel
2. Oud.

Not having the fragrance pyramid in my head at the time, I said to the saleswoman keeping me company and co-testing, smells very much like oud; and she immediately agreed with me. The professionals among you can tell me right now if my nose just doesn't know what oud smells like yet, (I'm not offended), or if the ingredients in the pyramid are actually supposed to 'emulate' oud. (Real is supposedly quite rare)

Anyway, whether it's oud,- or yet just a mixture of smoke and leather accents that I don't like,- for me the composition represents nothing new and rebellious, but just a mustier version of the Dark Rebel I like, which I personally don't enjoy that much. For the notes breakdown, I therefore also refer to various reviews of "Dark Rebel".

I do not quite dare John Varvatos to insinuate that he would just ride on the oud-hypetrain, because for my finding his fragrances have such an independent line that they open up a whole niche of their own anyway.... However, I can't rule it out completely either.

Be that as it may, objectively speaking, I recommend everyone who has made it to here to test the fragrance in any case, because I think it's not badly done; if you like it very musty and wicked has at least... (The bats fly here really already very low.... (: )

However, rather no Blindbuy... you may dare to the normal Dark Rebel, which still stands like a monument in the surf.

The durability came to me well, a little weaker than the original, sillage as well.
NiceSmell
The smoking chamber for on the road
Surprisingly, I was given a bottling of the fragrance in a deal. John Varvatos I only knew from video reviews until then. Once I had the opportunity to test the Artisan pure, it was not really mine. Then the Dark Rebel (but I can't remember it anymore) and now the Rider.

The first time I "freed" him from the bottle, I thought to myself....uff but that is smoky. This impression remains. To me he seems like in a smokehouse, At the fisherman or butcher. Very masculine, very tart and very deep. Of course, this is not necessarily the first choice for someone who is more into fresh and sweeter scents.

So if you're looking for a very masculine scent that stands out and you're already brave enough to wear it, you'll find a scent for you with the Dark Rebel Rider. Unfortunately I have to say, the performance and durability could be better. Unfortunately this one doesn't convince me as much

Smoky and Leather.... poor performance
In my opinion this is the second best fragrance that John Varvatos created (second only to Dark Rebel). Both fragrances are similar, but take different directions and / or highlight different notes. This fragrance is sweet, smoky and delicious. The bottle is amazing, and the leather smells different from other leather fragrances I have in my collection. This has a solid rich opening and a delicious dry-down. What else can you ask for? This is an excellent buy from the house of Varvatos! Definitely fall and winter, or spring evenings. Perhaps evening events? Probably not for work, more of a casual fragrance. I highly recommend this fragrance. You cannot over spray. 10 / 10 for me!
Volker1964
Great flacon, good solid fragrance, shelf life too short
Some people like leather scents. Some Tom Ford Tuscan Leather. Some Rasasi Yugawam. Both highly recommended. How about Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos ?
Flacon:
The flacon is very elaborate and beautiful. Glass flacon in leather-look cover, right and left zipper. Lid partly metal with application (iris ?) on the lid. The sprayer distributes the fragrance very finely.
Such a flacon and such a great sprayer I would not have expected in this price range.
Top note:
Piquant spice and very subtle, fruity notes. Spice clearly dominates here.
Heart note:
Floral, partly strong / dark, notes clearly dominate here. Nice incense note skilfully supports the heart note. Some wood already suggests itself.
Base:
Russian leather complemented with vanilla chocolate and woody notes.
Russian leather in a more discreet version. Cocoa not too strong, no chocolate bomb. Wood skilfully completes the base and makes the fragrance more versatile.
Conclusion:
The flacon is really successful. A highlight in my collection. In the field of leather scents this scent makes a good and pleasant impression. But it doesn't quite come close to TF Tuscan Leather or Rasasi Yugawam. Why ? It is a bit too discreet and the durability could be better. With me it is over after 4 hours. Clearly too little for me. Rather for the evening/leisure time on cooler days. PLV good to very good. In the Internet ordered, 125ml EdT for nearly 40 euros. No highlight, good and solid for a smaller price.

Smell Like a Motorcycle Club Member
If you own a motorcycle or have been involved in motorcycle clubs, are a fan of the TV shows Sons of Anarchy or Mayans, lift weights regularly, and wear a beard, there is a high likelihood that you will like this fragrance. It's NOT for everyone, especially anyone who wears tight pants, shaves their chest, listens to top 40 pop music, or has a naturally high pitched voice.

For a masculine man made in the modern conception of someone who sometimes colors outside of the lines, it will ring true. You may not get compliments on it the way a typical, mass-appealing scent would get compliments, because women who are drawn to it will not like like it in the general androgynous sense, but in a spirit of attraction, and they may be shy to tell you so. If you scan YouTube and the web for reviews and comments by women, you will see that a certain kind of woman finds this fragrance and its connotations very appealing. I would say that this fragrance is a bit like the sword Excalibur, in that for most people it will not be correct, but in the right hands it can help you unleash your potential.
5.5
Dreamrunner
Direction according to screwdriver's gear and workshop
The smell always reminds me of a workshop and screwdriver's clothes. For motorcycle meetings and similar events (which is another hobby besides fragrances from me) OK. Why did I buy it? I liked the bottle and that I got it for less than 20€ :-) It's just something else. But it's definitely not a "pantyhose" :-D

Not Recommended
Really enjoyable when I first sprayed it on.

Sadly, the dry down is headache inducing and gave me a bad taste in my mouth. It's too bad because it was really promising at the get go.

I returned this to the store.

Not recommended
4/10

A Better Leather Scent
This is one of the longer lasting scent among John Varvatos' offerings. If you like Tom Ford for Men extreme, but are unwilling to shell out the big bucks, then this is the budget friendly alternative. Lasts 4 to 5 hours on skin, longer lasting if sprayed on clothes. ( 7 to 8 hours)

EinsteinvEinsteinv 7 months ago
Slightly sweet smoky dirty cocoa leather, low longevity.
BumpyumaBumpyuma 1 year ago
Okay smell - Average projection for 1.5 hours
AmberScentAmberScent 3 years ago
A true dark leather gem with magnific smoky and earthy facets! The best of Varvatos in my opinion. Spray at will on your leather jacket!
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
This is a perfume to use when you are wearing jeans and leather jacket. James Dean would have used it if he could. A recomended masterpiece!

by Carboytony
by Carboytony
by sebjar
by sebjar
Hot Leather!
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular John Varvatos

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos Dark Rebel by John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos John Varvatos XX Artisan by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (silver) by John Varvatos John Varvatos XX by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos Artisan (Aftershave Lotion) by John Varvatos