Oud by John Varvatos

Oud is a popular perfume by John Varvatos for men and was released in 2014. The scent is woody-spicy. It is being marketed by Revlon.

Top Notes Top NotesTobacco, Levantine cypress, Hyssop, Clary sage, Juniper berry
Heart Notes Heart NotesPersian saffron, Laotian cinnamon, Malabar pepper, Sri Lankan cardamom, Zanzibar clove, Osmanthus absolute, Turkish rose absolute, Egyptian jasmine absolute
Base Notes Base NotesOud, Lebanon cedar, Andalusian labdanum, Myrrh, Opoponax, Frankincense, Black leather, Amber

Submitted by Michael, last update on 12.01.2020.

8.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

Oud by John Varvatos

From beginning to end the oud and the incense run through the aroma, with one exception, while the oud remains firm and notorious, the incense is ethereal and vaporous, allowing certain smoky nuances in a soft and mild way. In the beginning, it highlights the freshness of the cypress, the berries, the sage and a slight smoky let, a rough woody beginning, but fresh, balsamic and sweet. Then, the freshness is lost and the spices make their appearance, creating a very spicy and somewhat smoky oud aroma, with a slight touch of exquisite sweet tobacco, in which you can see an ethereal rose vapor that floats in the air and gives the floral counterpoint to so much spice, perfectly balanced. Gradually and coming to an end, the perfume is filled with nuances of resins, sweet, smoked, warm, on which rests an oud accustomed to a very elegant fineness.

The oud of this perfume is not the typical dirty and medicated oud, it is very well executed and it is an intense, spicy and balsamic woody aroma, very of the western taste, so it is a very good option to start to know this wood of East.

The duration has been a shame, having a spectacular aroma, perfectly passable by a niche, its performance is regular high, lasting about 6 or 7 hours in skin, with a moderate wake from the beginning, although somewhat more noticeable at the start. Nor should we be so hard on him, since, although the aroma seems niche, its price is not excessive, so you should not ask the elm pears. It is a night perfume of fresh or temperate climates, which has left me with a very good taste, I do not rule out acquiring a full bottle. I recommend your test.This perfume did not stop recommending me a good friend, and I never paid attention, I do not know, maybe the brand did not attract me enough, but big mistake ... at the end of so much tell me, I bought a 10ml decant on eBay, and here I am today to recommend it to you, lovers of woody orientals, because it is a surprising oriental, in the style of Amouage, but more bearable and westernized, beautiful.

The duration has been a shame, having a spectacular aroma, perfectly passable by a niche, its performance is regular high, lasting about 6 or 7 hours in skin, with a moderate wake from the beginning, although somewhat more noticeable at the start. Nor should we be so hard on him, since, although the aroma seems niche, its price is not excessive. It is a night perfume of fresh or temperate climates, which has left me with a very good taste, I do not rule out acquiring a full bottle. I recommend your test.
8.0 6.0 6.0 10.0/10

Helpful Review
Prince Charming
True to the style of John Varvatos, this unique oud scent appears. It is very appealing, perfectly balanced and wonderfully velvety. Nothing's bothering you. The extensive ingredients are so striking that every single one of them would make a great perfume. In this fragrance creation they are happily united and exude a charismatic aura that gives the perfume wearer an unmistakable sense of style.

Here John Varvatos shows his Rock 'n' Roll face. Rock 'n' Roll was once very modern, but today it's no longer loud and shrill, but rather discreet and stays beautiful in the background. Exact - discreet! This oud perfume is discreetly masculine, like the fashionable fashion designs of its creator.

I love these beautiful oud sounds! In the first moment already the smooth aromatic fragrance harmony shows itself and conjures a happy smile on the face. It smells softly spicy with a fine almost caramel sweetness. Immediately afterwards, there are light powdery-leathery nuances paired with woody softness.

For me, this oud scent is the most beautiful and gentle of all I have ever tried.

But he is and remains a Prince Charming who can never become king because he doesn't have enough stamina. Not enough energy. I have eau de parfum. The development is constant, but with time it becomes quieter and quieter. He stays as charming all the time as he was at the beginning, which I like very much! Only the Sillage is very weak... I can recognize the scent itself even after hours, but only very close to me. I'll have to help you out more often. But hey, that bottle's big enough!

I like this unique creamy-soft fragrance with a discreet masculine face. I can wear it every day because it always fits. He is unobtrusive and always stays very close. Only I would have wished for more expressiveness..
9.0 6.0 7.0 9.0/10

Carlitos01
An western heavenly oud scent
The combinations of main notes I love the best in any OUD fragrance are:
Top - Tobacco
Middle - Rose
Bottom - Oud + Incense
Those notes are perfectly blended in John Varvatos Oud fragrance. I just love it. Great scent and great value for money, but its street price is rising every monyh.
It's not a powerhouse but the up to 7~8 hours of practical longevity and 4~5 feet top sillage may be enough. It's a very appealing and alluring oud scent!!!

My rates for John Varvatos Oud::
Uniqueness:................9.0
Compliments:.............8.5
Quality:........................9.5
Presentation:..............9.5
Price:............................9.0 (currently its price peaks at more than 50 Euros the 125ml flask. My 125 ml John Varvatos Oud costed me 32 Euros)

Average:....................8.31 / 10,00
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on "John Varvato's Oud":
In terms of global scent it's one of the best ouds I tried. Probably due to its magnific scent, it's becoming dearer every month. I may complain about the under average performance for an oriental woody fragrance. However a bigger performance could also mean a cloying perfume.
Blind buy worthy? No! Test it on your skin before any buying decision as in any oud fragrance. For me it's a must buy!

Music: Maurice Jarre's "Lawrence of Arabia" movie theme

Carlitos01 7 months ago
The notes are perfectly blended in John Varvatos Oud. I just love it. Great scent and great value for money, but the performance is low.+3
6.0
AmberScent 17 months ago
This is a superb complex oud fragrance. I pity its near poor performance typical of Varvatos perfumes. Otherwise it would be a smashing hit.+3
6.0

Allen Parfumos einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr und bleibt alle gesund. Und natürlich vielen Dank für Eure Kommentare.
by ChopIsland
by IrisNobile
by IrisNobile
Mein abgelenkter Schutzengel
by TomLavender
by YKem
by YKem

Popular John Varvatos

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos Dark Rebel by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (silver) by John Varvatos Artisan (Aftershave Lotion) by John Varvatos