John Varvatos for Women 2008

John Varvatos for Women by John Varvatos
John Varvatos for Women is a perfume by John Varvatos for women and was released in 2008. The scent is floral-fruity. It was last marketed by Elizabeth Arden.

Top Notes Top NotesApricotApricot
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss
PatchouliPatchouli
Tonka beanTonka bean
Wild honeyWild honey

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.03.2021.

Mushy Fruit Cocktail (on my skin...)
I always try to guess the "official" category of fragrances which I plan to review on the basis of a sample vial (unlike FBs, which I usually wear many times before writing a review--since I have that luxury...), so upon initially spritzing JOHN VARVATOS, which I had been looking forward to with great anticipation, given the hype, my first reaction was: "Oriental Floral". A few seconds later: "Fruity floral". A couple of minutes later: "Floral Woody Musk". What I would never have guessed in a million years was the "correct" answer: "Chypre Floral"!

JOHN VARVATOS is truly all over the map, as they say, but not in a pleasant way. The problem for me is summed up well by another reviewer (at another site), who also demurs from the chypre categorization of JV. There's something somehow stale or old about the fruits and the flowers. Or maybe the canned fruit cocktail cubes and spheres, in their washed-out, almost pastel oranges and yellows, have sapped the flowers of their freshness. Don't know. Don't really care. Not on my wish list.

I should say that the patchouli drydown is okay, but the trajectory this fragrance follows in getting there is not a mellifluous journey--although honey is listed as a note. Rather than manna from heaven, JOHN VARVATOS is to me more like canned fruit cocktail, rather mushy and devoid of well-defined flavors.

All of that said, some of my best perfume pals love JOHN VARVATOS, so it's going to vary from person to person: try before you buy.

Memorable
In the summer, I sampled JV during one of those "hurry up and smell everything that's been opened" trips to TJ Maxx. I had some unscented skin available on my left forearm, so as an afterthought I planted John Varvatos there. I must have sampled 5-6 scents that day, but I only remember one - John Varvatos.

I can't tell you how JV develops, or whether JV is a chypre or not, or how long JV lasts. I can tell you that after 4 months of thinking about this fragrance -- and being unable to find an open box or tester so I could sample it again -- I finally bought it.

I'm not sure if the purchase is a mark of craziness or the wait is a mark of discipline. Regardless, I think my story reflects a mark of a truly superior fragrance: JV resonated with me somehow, so I remembered it & craved it, long after trying it.

The right brain reaction often trumps the left brain analysis. I am convinced that is the reason why JV is favored by so many here, regardless of the more thorough & analytic reviews that suggest JV shouldn't be held in such high esteem.

UPDATE: I have it now. OMG, it's a gorgeous, boozy beauty according to my right & left brains! Will compete for space in my top 10. Well-blended & long-lasting too. LUV IT.

PS - JV is especially luxurious and wonderful after bathing with the deep & dark Youth-Dew bath oil. I'd add that I don't usually like florals but I LOVE this.

PS #2 - I now have it in parfum ($13) & body silk ($8). Neither are stellar alone, imo. However, layered with the EdP they are outstanding -- 12 hours.

by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72
by Hermessenz
by Hermessenz

Popular John Varvatos

Artisan Pure by John Varvatos Dark Rebel by John Varvatos Oud by John Varvatos Dark Rebel Rider by John Varvatos John Varvatos by John Varvatos Artisan (Eau de Toilette) by John Varvatos Artisan Blu by John Varvatos Vintage by John Varvatos Artisan Acqua by John Varvatos Artisan Black by John Varvatos John Varvatos 10th Anniversary Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos Platinum Edition by John Varvatos John Varvatos XX Artisan by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (blue) by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (crimson) by John Varvatos Rock Volume One by John Varvatos JV x NJ - John Varvatos x Nick Jonas (silver) by John Varvatos John Varvatos XX by John Varvatos Star U.S.A. by John Varvatos John Varvatos XX Indigo by John Varvatos