Joop! Homme 1989Eau de Toilette

Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop!
Bottle Design Peter Schmidt, Lutz Herrmann
Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Joop! for men and was released in 1989. The scent is sweet-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Coty.

Michel Almairac

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Mandarin orange, Orange blossom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 18.09.2020.

ApiciusApicius 9 years ago

„The Classic Red”

Every decade has its own perfumes that reflect lifestyle and zeitgeist. If this really is the case with a fragrance, then it is beyond fashion. Joop! Homme was released...
SherapopSherapop 8 years ago

„Good longevity is good. Nuclear longevity?”

Every few months I make the same mistake. While on a trip to either Whole Foods or Trader Joe's, I stop by TJMaxx and take a gander at the perfume...
The pink "fog" - the oriental hamam in European form
The old vintage Joop Homme, I've known since the year it was released. So since 1989.
Even then it was widely advertised, each bottle had a leaflet with information about the fragrance, body line etc.
Also the lid seemed to me to be of a higher quality in the past. The bottle had this "blossom" on it, the so-called cornflower.
An expensive fragrance for those times but also one where you could fill everything with just a few sprayers. Because the Sillage was enormous. Joop Homme was the Red Door of the 90's when it comes to "brutally strong Sillage"
Joop Homme reminded me of a spicy SPA, a hamam so to speak. Where body and soul are in harmony. To let oneself fall, to indulge the sweet, tart, oriental notes and let oneself wander into other worlds.

I have some bottles of the older edition and even one, from the year 1989.
One notices this special note, which actually all the fragrances of the 90's at that time had in them.
Joop Homme begins like a black raspberry liqueur, sweet and fruity, with a floral note. It becomes sweeter, but a woody note is also well perceived, as is a honey note. Joop Homme holds in the double digits. Good for long winter walks.
The version we have is reasonable for the price: Less high quality, the instruction leaflet hasn't been around for years. Also the fruity, floral note has been "lighter" instead of "darker". Overall the fragrance composition is almost without a gradient. You still notice which scent you have in front of you, but the endurance the scent had and also the charisma are not the same anymore.
1990 X 2020
It all started about 2 years ago Joop Homme passed me by when I was a teenager, because he just wasn't popular anymore, at least not that strong.
I knew the scent, of course, when one strolled through the perfumeries or department stores, it was hard to miss. And above all it was always on sale...
2 years ago I thought, IF, then right, and bought a vintage bottle here from the souk A version from the 90s with the cornflower on the bottle, which disappeared around 2000 When the package arrived I was very curious. I knew what it smelled like, at least in the current version.
Sprayed on and bang... Joop Homme. But wait. He's different.
The vintage smells deeper, darker, more berry. Yeah, denser, higher, definitely Joop Homme is also like Cool Water or other old scents. The Vintages simply smell more full-bodied. You notice immediately that the content was more valuable then and you got more for your money.
But there was a catch: Joop Homme, like most other fragrances of the time, was full of questionable ingredients. Lyral, for example, was a substance that was in the bottle in high doses at the time. It is said to have accounted for 10% of the fragrance. Lyral is completely forbidden today. Not even 0.1% concentration, as for example with oak moss, may be used.
For me personally, the Vintage Joop Homme caused itching and reddened skin. Especially on the neck, where the skin is thinner and more sensitive than elsewhere. The Vintage Joop Homme is still the ONLY (!!!) fragrance that has triggered such a reaction in me, out of at least 300-400 fragrances tested.

The good news first: My current Joop Homme does not trigger this reaction.
Today's Joop Homme smells like a Light or Aqua version of the vintage. The DNA is the same and he is immediately recognizable as Joop Homme, but he smells fresher and "lighter". Not so oriental and heavy, less "cherryy". Yes, he doesn't smell like he used to and has lost about 60-70% of his performance. But it still lasts for 8 hours and on my t-shirt it is still so strongly perceptible from yesterday's wearing as if I had just sprayed. Okay, it doesn't last 2 days like it used to, but do you really need it? It is still stronger than most designer fragrances. Especially considering the ridiculous price you get a lot of fragrance for your money
For me a wonderful scent, if you leave it at 2-4 sprayers and do not overdose, otherwise it will be exhausting. Another thing I noticed: Joop Homme smells almost like wild cherry iced tea (e.g. from Pfanner) tastes. Reminds me at least strongly of it. Wild cherry iced tea to spray on.

Whether you like him or not, one thing you have to admit to yourself.
Joop Homme is a legendary fragrance, a piece of German perfume history. A worldwide bestseller, which is rare for a German company. The fragrance is also very well known in the USA. According to my uncle (early 50s) Joop Homme was definitely one of the most popular fragrances in the clubs at that time. In the smaller, privately run perfumeries that were often in existence at that time, it is said to have been sold out even more often.
I can only imagine what a scandal it was back then to launch such a fragrance and even call it "Homme". In a time when most men's fragrances were tart, animal or soapy
Chapeau!
Unexpectedly sweet
In our mirror cabinet a few specimens have accumulated lately, which often receive far too little attention. Such as a pink shining ampoule of Joop Homme. The colour of the liquid already suggests that it is not a 0815 men's fragrance and surprises shortly after application with a veritable wave of sweetish sticky aromas. I didn't expect that. It is difficult at first to identify individual scents. This changes with time as soon as the first gummy bear wave has gone and the fragrance takes on a pleasantly warm-smelling form. Vanilla is clearly visible, besides the fruity aromas in a healthy measure. The cinnamon note provides a slight spiciness, a slightly woody note gives the whole the seriousness that was initially missed. Only after hours does the fragrance unfold some notes that are slightly reminiscent of freshly washed laundry. The durability is very good, but the fragrance only unfolds its full potential with time, which is a pity. The synthetic sweetness can certainly be counteracted with the right dosage. The fragrance is an interesting unisex scent, but it should not be bought blind. However, it deserves a chance as a stimulant in the coming autumn days

Rquill67
Reformulated but still a love for me...
I owned this one in 1989 and just picked up a new bottle in 2020. As we all know this has definitely been reformulated and while it is still has great projection and performance it’s lighter and airier than it once was. If I can recall in 1989 it was definitely sweet, spicy and floral but deeper and darker. I didn’t know anything about fragrances in 1989 and wish I kept, what would have been a vintage bottle, by now. I’m super happy I picked up a bottle of Joop! Homme in 2020; and will definitely purchase again when this bottle runs out. I still love this fragrance. This fragrance has a ton of reviews on Fragrantica. I’m not sure what some of the hate is about for this fragrance. I get a cinnamon, vanilla and floral bomb with a hint of cherry. Super nice and a 9 / 10 for me!
A biting legend
What more can one say about this scent? It was in the early 90's a fragrance that everyone knew. And to be honest, everyone loved to smell it. If you wore it you could be followed for tens of meters. Today there are tracking devices and navigation systems. A sweet woody scent with an unbeatable durability and sillage. Surely it is getting on in years. But is it really as bad as it is being made here in a big way?
If it is no longer produced after more than 20 years, we will miss it. A sweet smell that almost kills you But he is still a legend in the world of perfume, like Davidoff Cool Water or Chanel Egoiste, to name but a few.
I'm not gonna buy it anymore either. But as far as durability and silage are concerned, many top perfumes of today can take an example. Joop Homme you Red Gun, you'll always be a legend! One way or another.
Sunnyiland
It flew at that time for whatever reason under my radar and was only now discovered by me.
The scent is really insanely beautiful to me. I perceive it as a beautiful sweet, powdery gourmand scent, which somehow magically attracts me. Anyway, I can hardly get my nose off my wrist and not this one, because it is so sweet and sticks to it ;o)
The shelf life is over 8 hours for me.

I love a lot of scents from the 80s anyway and I just wonder where I was in that time?
Why didn't I run into him in the '89 or '90s?
OK, a men's fragrance and my husband was not a fan of perfume then or now. And I was probably blind and fogged in with moments and co.

A manufacturer's sample of Flac... seduced me into a buying frenzy last weekend. The bunker-busters will make my cabinets explode. I can't believe how unreasonable I was again And in the process, I have so decimated my wish list, because I have enough scents anyway. But it has to come in, no matter what, and who knows how long it'll be around.
The scent is apparently everywhere cheaply knocked out. Price reduction of 20 to 60% no matter where you look
I have struck mercilessly and I am glad and happy to have got hold of such a beautiful fragrance now at such a good price. Exactly my prey scheme ;o)

Even if according to the pre-commentaries the vintage is supposed to be much better. I also like this one,
and I hope only the specimens I ordered are identical to the sample I had, if they were even stronger it would be OK too, but please nothing less of the radiance ;o))

Cngz95
Striking like a pink sheep
Joop Homme was one of the first fragrances that I was allowed to call my own. At that time I was still young and naive and I sprayed just what was there on my body.

This fragrance thus became my summer - all-rounder and unconsciously it was a hit at the time. However, I simply cannot imagine this fragrance on a grown, grown man. It comes along cheeky, warm, sweet and playful.

I would also confirm that this fragrance is apparently well received by the female world, but as I said, only at a young age. I also think it's important to mention that you should wear this fragrance more as a masculine person, because it creates a nice contrast and that's what catches the eye.

Joop Homme is conspicuous, but nothing new, since you notice him at least once when you walk through the city. I would rate the scent as good, the sillage is wide and polarized.

All in all a perfect gift for people up to ~20 years, everything above that would be inappropriate in my opinion.
The contaminated riding hall
I first got my first taste of Joop Homme at the tender age of 16. And I thought he was really good at first. He was cute, okay, but in a reasonable dose he could be really pleasant with his vanilla-woody tones. An equally young guy wore this fragrance, very discreetly dosed and of course only for going out in the evening. I liked it (the scent, the intimidated boy sometime no longer). Sweet, cuddly, cuddly. A good fragrance from the house of Joop, just like Nuit d'Eté and Berlin, which I had on my wish list at the time.

For many years, I consciously did not come across a wearer of this scent, until - it must have been 2003 or 2004 - I had to move into a new stable with my then riding participation horse. There was a riding instructor there who bathed in Joop Homme. Such olfactory combatants, which were revealed to me there during my sporting leisure activities, were unknown to me until then. And that of a student with five semesters of chemistry on her back. And believe me, not everything smells of violets - not to mention the strong silage of some cooking experiments in the laboratory.

But nothing else could compete with these olfactory grenades. The man, an elderly gentleman who had already passed the age of 60, entered the riding hall and within seconds it was contaminated. Normally I was used to riding instructors who always managed to get their eleves on horseback to concentrate with a Bundeswehr-like loud organ. With Mr. P., on the other hand, there were olfactory drones. And we are talking about an indoor riding hall, 20 x 40 meters. There p
* and k
* horses in it, it actually smells like a stable, like a horse, and on top of that they smoked in riding halls at that time, and not too close. All these smells had no chance against Joop Homme of Mr. P. Even when he gave lessons on the outdoor riding arena, we still felt the need to air out. Beaten to death with a heliotrope slingshot. Shouted at by jasmine and cinnamon, who constantly fought each other and especially the vanilla was not the best friend in this always exhausting environment of the farm. Tonka couldn't save anything and Patchouli sank into the olfactory stable-all.

I never processed that! When I smell this smell today, I want to run away. Far, far away. Preferably at a striding gallop. Giddyup!
Neon Hubba Bubba chewing gum
18:36 is when I start writing this comment. I sprayed Joop Homme last night and it still smells good where it was sprayed 20 hours ago.

So this purple bottle with the strong chemical mixture just makes me think again.

Joop Homme is almost 30 years old and still a hip fragrance in the German-speaking world.
When spraying on, this very strong artificial sweetness of citrus, cherry, cinnamon and orange chords unfolds immediately, somehow too sweet and yet coherent.

The fragrance is pure chemical laboratory not only because of its pink/purple color, but also because of the synthetic scent DNA.

BUT somehow it is coherent and despite its sweetness it adapts to the man who wears it.
The shelf life and silage is brutally good for an eau de toilette and the fragrance lasts for almost 1 full day 24 hours, as already mentioned above, and is also 6-8 hours good smelling for the environment.

Although it is getting on in years, it still fits with its pushy, chemical and oriental sweetness to occasions like parties, nightlife and even disco quite well.

I can't imagine this dominant teenager pushing in front of people in the office, but I can imagine it on many informal occasions.

For 20-30€ the prospective customer gets a chemical club with brutal durability, 80's charm, Saturday Night Feelings and a fragrance that tells everyone HEY hier bin ICH.
Nutella Band
... Is the name of a Ludenring (also called Puffpapiparty).

That's what Joop Homme is to me
Flowery overkill served with a Sillage that tramples everything into the ground + durability until the third shower, or at least 12+ hours with good performance. You need self-confidence for this, unnoticed and without "What is it?" You can't get a look anywhere like that anymore
In the beginning a little lighter and more acidic, but most of the time a lot of heliotrope mixed with certainly synthetic but not biting jasmine and other floral chords+something oriental.

Towards the end (i.e. after a good night's drinking and sobering up) a little more subtle, almost modern but still noticeable
Certainly the strongest and most distinctive fragrance still available in drugstores. I would be interested to know how strong it was before
The price is for something special really a catch and at least in my age group (boy 20) I am the only carrier of this masterpiece.

If you like fragrances that push everything to the top and can also be labeled negative or boastful, you should try Joop Homme as a flower bomb.

TeleraTelera 5 days ago
Teniendo en cuenta que es EDT tiene bastante potencia, luego el sillage disminuye convirtiendose en una estela de medio metro o menos.
NGL7NGL7 20 days ago
Nostalgia in a bottle. To me it's like last day of summer "Bye bye, Hollywood Hills[...]
I'm gonna come back to walk these streets again"
Aquarius1Aquarius1 75 days ago
3.5
Comments vary from 'you smell great' to 'you reek of withering flowers'. Rude, but inclined to agree, I get a similar vibe from it.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 14 months ago
A floral scent tagged for men is always a Risk but this one has had a good ending: It is hip after 30 years! Synthetic? A lot, but nice...
Hoban27Hoban27 15 months ago
The patchouli note here is just OMG!! rich vibe great scent even if performance after reformulation lighter but still kinda okay.
Jazzy76Jazzy76 18 months ago
fruity-flowery and a little bit alcoholic opening and warm -sweet base. It's a pleasant scent wearable by a woman too. Quite good sillage.
ElqwertyElqwerty 21 months ago
This scent is for the one who really likes sweet perfumes. The performance is frightening, I still smell this on my clothes after 3 days (!)
Mike1337Mike1337 23 months ago
Very sweet floral scent morphing into slightly musky
KLewisKLewis 2 years ago
It's a love or hate fragrance. To me, the floral notes come across as very synthetic and the overall scent is overly sweet.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
The sweet scent for the metrosexual yuppie. I don't mean it in a bad way. I own it and I use it although I am not metrosexual or a yuppie.

by Graybeard
by Graybeard
by Zora
by Zora
by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
by Mustang69
Auch für die Damenwelt ;)
by Piepmatz
by LucyLou
by LucyLou
by Brz
by Brz
Vintage: Joop! - Homme 125ml EDT (1.Version)
by Ninina
by Ninina
by Hndrk
by Hndrk
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa
by YKem
by YKem
Vintage: Joop! - Homme 75ml EDT Splash,erste Version (silberne Kornblume)
by Keppy
by Keppy
by Elqwerty
by Elqwerty
Vintage: Joop! - Homme 75ml EDT (1. Version)
by Sunnyiland
by Citrusman
by Citrusman
by KleinerPrinz
by KleinerPrinz
Vintage: Joop! Homme 30ml EDT (1. Reformulierung)
by SweetApricot
by SweetApricot
by Pharaoh
by Pharaoh
by XDiable
by XDiable

Popular Joop!

Nuit d'été (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! What About Adam (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Absolute by Joop! Berlin (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Nuit d'été (Parfum) by Joop! Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Joop! Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Go by Joop! Joop! Jump (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Rococo for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Man by Joop! Le Bain Soft Moments by Joop! Joop! Homme Wild by Joop! All About Eve (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Ice by Joop! Wow! for Women (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Muse by Joop!