Le Bain 1988Eau de Parfum

Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop!
Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Joop! for women and was released in 1988. The scent is sweet-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Symrise

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Orange blossom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily of the valley, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 22.02.2021.

Deve
Deve Takes A Luxurious Hot Bath (imaginary)
Le Bain paved the way for another vanilla scent for me. After Shafali, Classique and Sun, this was the one I liked right away. Got to know at the end of the 1990s, as a sample that one gets so with a purchase in addition (have collected many good and not so good samples over the years, which one gets so, Le Bain clearly belongs to the good samples).

Whether I bought the fragrance in a set or individually, I can unfortunately after so long time no longer say, it was in any case the smallest size I bought. In any case with a flower on the lid on it.

How do I describe this fragrance best ? I would most likely describe the scent as a relaxing hot oil bath with the finest vanilla essence. A plump (somewhat synthetic in the positive sense) vanilla with tobacco notes. Because the fragrance has something burnt at the beginning and then something herbaceous.

The hot water with this vanilla essence invites you to relax. Deep relaxation, hot water. If there were a color for Le Bain, it would be white-blue. White for calming, blue for relaxation.

White fluffy towels, by the radiator, giving off their gentle scent of powdery detergent, dimmed lights and Le Bain as a bath additive (even have the bath flakes of it that came in a set) in the hot water, including a tea and a good book and nothing will stand in the way of deep relaxation.
Le Bain is certainly not out of place on a freezing cold day. In summer it would crush me, because in summer we shower and therefore do not take a relaxing bath, this we prefer to winter, just like this fragrance.

Joop Le Bain
This is really lovely and honestly, I can't imagine someone not liking it. It's soft and gentle and literally hugs you with it's comforting essence. Blended to perfection, I can smell a slightly sweet, slightly spicy, slightly powdery concoction but nothing in here is "too much." It's tame and well behaved and is content with being simple and beautiful.

What I get from this is a smooth vanilla with a touch of woodiness, a touch of patchouli and a touch of warm amber. The citrus only exists in the beginning and I feel as though it helps to keep the overall effect of the fragrance fresh and bright. I can't detect the orange blossom, jasmine or Lily-of-the-Valley at all and that's fine with me!

I knew that this fragrance had favourable reviews and I can see why. Mass appealing due to it's inoffensive nature, making it a bonafide crowd-pleaser.

It's near impossible to over-spray this one. My skin holds fragrance very well and even I did 5 sprays, which I would never do with any other fragrance for fear of choking myself out or others around me.

I love this scent. Such a bargain too. Very moderately priced. One of the best blind-buys I've ever made! A true gem!
4ajbukoshka
If my grandma would just hug me one more time
...and I had one of those cheap little cherry lollipops in my mouth.. Then "Le Bain" would come alive, just like my grandma.

To the background:
My grandma died a few years ago. I can't ask her if she really wore that scent.
But I am currently wearing it on my wrist and can see and smell them clearly in front of me. Her, as she looked like in my early childhood, end of the nineties and beginning of the 2000s.
She, who always smelled like a flower meadow. Looked like a flower and whose embrace made me even happier than a sugary cherry lollipop could ever be She, whose smile was so sweet and pure and, in retrospect, always radiated childlike and innocent.

How I got this scent:
My statement perfume, sinfully expensive vanilla from Guerlain (Cuir Beluga), was coming to an end once again, BEAUTIFUL again. I, student, notoriously broke You'll have to find something cheaper for the transition.
I look in the classifieds for specimens. My nose is sensitive, which means I can't smell many things So I got about 30 perfume samples, some knocked down, some horrible, some... surprising.

What I can say about this fragrance:
At the first test on my skin I was met with a powdery-sticky sweet touch.
"Oh, dear, what's it going to be when it's finished? Smells pretty fake."
After a few seconds I hear an artificial, chemical, seemingly flowery touch. Violets?
A look into the pyramid of scents: "Oh, surely the aldehydes? And orange blossom, yeah, that's right."
I'm cleaning up the pile of laundry from yesterday. My room is in chaos, as usual.
I leave the room, come back. And suddenly this strange sadness hits me, I think I get my (emotional) five minutes. I'm confused What are you doing?! I smell my "grandma." Every day I wear a gold bracelet on my wrist, which she gave me when I was about 15. I don't take it off, even though it's too big for me now, just like then. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my grandma But how did it get in my nose now, damn it?
Roseate I don't like the smell of roses in skin care products, I'm not too convinced in perfume either. In Bulgaria, for example, you get killed by it, in every souvenir shop and twenty meters in front of it. But real roses smell so pleasant.
More flowers. Violets? Maybe. I smell many things, but I can't always name them The smell of sandalwood, however, already, which is due to the incense sticks, which "grandma's" daughter used so gladly and (much too) often.
There are so many smells here that I have been fed up with, united, but in a dose that makes them not only bearable, but wonderfully pleasant.
I, procrastinating as ever, sit down, turn off the music, smell my wrist, in the air, let the smells come over me.
And I see in my mind's eye how my grandmother, who once again comes into the house with bloody knees, puts one of these sticky little cherry lollipops in my hand and gives me a kiss on the forehead.
(I smell cherry, even if it doesn't say anything about it anywhere, a lot of it!)
How she hugs me, but does not lift me up, because I am now too heavy for her. And she has "back".
Grandma had a bath. Maybe in Le Bain Or maybe my grandma really did take a bath and then rolled in a flower meadow, with the cherry lollipops she bought for me somehow stuck to her.
This is exactly what "Le Bain" smells like to me Comforting, cuddly, after a lot of security with a little bit of vanilla - or rather the vanillin in the sugar. Very light, chemical, but not unpleasant, but after Christmas baking.
That's a good thing, because it doesn't give me the idea of comparing this vanilla with Guerlain's and I can confidently say that I like it.
That's why this fragrance will be one for the cold days for me.
Maybe I'm too young for this fragrance, I have to listen to my friends' opinions about it.
After all, I don't want to smell like any old granny. If I do, I'll stay home with this perfume and enjoy it for me Whenever I miss my grandmother - and at least want to smell the security of her hugs.
Lilue
Melting with my skin as if made for each other
The experience that a perfume doesn't smell as good on your own skin and turns out less beautiful than on the paper strip or on your girlfriend yesterday is probably well known to all of us - and every time it's just sad.

Here I was allowed to experience exactly the opposite. Sprayed in this way it smelled too sweet, too heavy, too vanilla, at the same time like teenager and old grandma. But after spraying it on my skin, I was really enchanted. As if I had taken a milk bath with Cleopatra herself, enriched with the most beautiful flowers and golden oils. In one moment I felt my mother's embrace and at the same time the mother in me woke up, who prepares warm milk with honey for her children and not two seconds later I had the feeling that I had not been so pure and clean since my birth.

I must confess, even if it is more of a fragrance for cold days, I wore it even at 35 degrees in the summer holidays in Turkey, if it fits, it just fits and what can I say, I was in love. Meanwhile it is allowed to please me rather from autumn to cold spring and warm me from the outside to the inside and I can recommend it for all true perfume lovers, who also dress with fragrances when going to bed, after a warm shower a good hour before bedtime, no matter if you share the bed with the better half or your own whole.
Welcome to the spa!
I have to admit : For a long time I would not really have the old German "classics" on the screen. Joop, Chopard (comes from Switzerland, I know), Jil Sander... Fragrances like "Le Bain" are often available at ridiculous prices. So I decided to test myself, hoping to discover one or the other scent jewel.

First of all: I like "Le Bain" very much. In the prelude a herbal orange welcomes me, which is underlined by a tender vanilla sweetness. Especially in the top note, the fragrance immediately takes me into a spa. It smells like a fine herbal bath. With time the vanilla becomes more dominant. The herbaceous orange gives it more dimension and a wonderful spiciness. So the fragrance then remains on my skin and lasts there for a good 6/7 hours, on clothes all day long. Also the Sillage is good - you will be noticed. 2 sprays should be enough.

"Le Bain" is a true feel-good scent, especially for the colder days. It has a relaxing, warm effect - like the feeling after a bath on a rainy autumn day. I find it really beautiful and I am looking forward to wearing it more often in autumn and winter. For the following summer it will probably be a bit too warm for me
Joop No. 2-the vanilla scent
Joop was of course known to me since the ninzigers, who were my youth. I read Vogue when I was 15 and collected it for years. So it was impossible for me to escape the name Wolgang Joop. I never had a scent of Joop, though.
A few years ago my sweetheart gave me a 40 ml bottle of it. Of course, the scent was immediately familiar to me. I'm sure I've smelled it before, but not on myself.
I liked the scent right away, even though it is a bit more tame today than before.
I'll try to describe it sometime.

It starts with orange notes that don't go into the citric. Vanilla is also soft to the palate from the very beginning. This is the time when it also smells slightly of plastic and has this Barbie doll note. But in a pleasant way. I don't know if Barbies smell like that anymore. Flowers join in, but cannot be smelled out individually. Rather they infer the vanilla only.
In no case does the scent go in the flowery direction. Le bain becomes increasingly ambrier, warmer, musk and patchouli strengthen this effect even more. The vanilla increasingly takes over the rudder but never becomes too sweet and always remains pleasant. It is also accompanied by a spicy note that makes me think a little of Mon Guerlain EdP. I suppose it's the cedar that makes the scent appear that way.

Also in this version (approx. 4 years old from 2015- can't judge if I didn't put it back on again in the meantime) I like it very much and it's durable for a long time. In the meantime I got hold of a very old bottle, which smells even more intense and lasts even longer. The bottle can also be recognised by the dark cornflower it has embossed on the cap, while the new version has it in white. At the front of the bottle the inscription Joop is printed a little bit more delicate and smaller than on the new one and the "J" is drawn further down. The inscription "Le bain" was missing earlier. It's only been added over the years. When exactly she came in is unfortunately not known to me. So if you ever see a bottle like that, it's vintage, and it's a fast grab.

Especially now in December at Christmas time I like to wear it very much. The time is currently ideal for vanilla fragrances. Le bain will surely stay in my collection and I hope that it will last for a few more years.

Lovely embraces
This is an interesting fragrance, out of the ordinary!

For some reason, it strongly reminds me of the first Dolce & Gabbana - must be because much of the notes are identical.

Much softer, not so suffocating as that one - here it's a soothing, caressing, creamy/buttery scent which seals onto the skin.

Super longevity, great great sillage. Worth a try!

*note: best to walk into a cloud of it then to spray directly. It is very strong and takes time to settle, so the cloud helps to stick gently the fragrance*
Nostalgia beats antipathy
Oh yes, Joop le bain...I have to dig deep into the nostalgia box.
I was 16 and went to the local perfumery with my first self earned money as a tutor and around Christmas time I bought this for me at that time terribly expensive bottle. I've dosed it so sparingly, I still have some today. I'm not into vanilla at all, except for the vanilla coke, which nobody likes but me. However as fragrance, room fragrance, shower gel, body lotion, no no no.
But I like this fragrance, even though it's totally out of my fragrance line. And I think it's not just nostalgia, it's just really well done and has stayed good over the years. Some perfumers or manufacturers tend to take really good fragrances from the market or to compose new ones and spoil them with them, but nothing like that happened here. I recently sprayed it on again in the perfumery and was immediately 16 again. For this reason alone I will soon treat myself to a new bottle. If you like your fellow men, one spray is enough, because this is not a volatile scent.
I use it practically only in the cool season, because it becomes too much for me otherwise.
As much as I loathe vanilla, this scent may remain.
Aolani
Why we have become nothing
When you came into the world, I lived in a grey-green skyscraper in a desolate boardroom on the fourth floor. I smelled you and I was all over you. Just save a little bit and you'd be mine. Every working day I took the elevator down, rushed to the bus and drove to the big city, to my apprenticeship. Every day I was late and had to wait for the elevator where your scent was floating. The neighbor below me had sprayed herself with you. And she was always punctual at the bus stop. At work the same thing - I took the elevator up - surrounded by your scent - one colleague carried you, the next and another. After two weeks I had had enough, so to speak. I've been wrestling with your mix of sultry sweetness that first captivated me. Sometimes you still meet me today. My heart becomes heavy and a soft sigh rises from my throat, a melancholic regret that we became nothing and I am again alone in the desolate grey elevator cabin

Fanny
Get up, get up, get up !!
To me "Le Bain" is that invisible full metal jacket which is always there for me.
Uplifting, re-assuring, fresh and velvety: time to re-assemble yourself for a nice change of scenery, clothing and company!

KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
Very strong balsamic vanilla bomb. Honey and lemon cake, cherry flavored snus tobacco, really delicious scent!
DPArtistDPArtist 2 years ago
This is a lovely deep, boozy and balsamic vanilla & tonka unisex scent, later on white floral notes appear adding a little more femininity.

by Blödel
by Blödel
Liebsten Dank für all die tollen Kommentare und generell fürs Vorbeischauen, ;-)
by PureNeugier
by Minea
Sieht ohne Deckel einfach besser aus.
by Tribu
by Stardust
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Joop!

Nuit d'été (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! What About Adam (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Absolute by Joop! Nuit d'été (Parfum) by Joop! Berlin (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Joop! Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Go by Joop! Joop! Jump (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Women (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Man by Joop! Rococo for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Wild by Joop! Le Bain Soft Moments by Joop! All About Eve (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Ice by Joop! Wow! for Women (Eau de Toilette) by Joop!