Le Bain (1988) Eau de Parfum

Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop!
Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) (Joop!)

Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) is a perfume by Joop! for women and was released in 1988. The scent is sweet-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Symrise

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Orange blossom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 04.01.2019

Nostalgia beats antipathy
Oh yes, Joop le bain...I have to dig deep into the nostalgia box.
I was 16 and went to the local perfumery with my first self earned money as a tutor and around Christmas time I bought this for me at that time terribly expensive bottle. I've dosed it so sparingly, I still have some today. I'm not into vanilla at all, except for the vanilla coke, which nobody likes but me. However as fragrance, room fragrance, shower gel, body lotion, no no no.
But I like this fragrance, even though it's totally out of my fragrance line. And I think it's not just nostalgia, it's just really well done and has stayed good over the years. Some perfumers or manufacturers tend to take really good fragrances from the market or to compose new ones and spoil them with them, but nothing like that happened here. I recently sprayed it on again in the perfumery and was immediately 16 again. For this reason alone I will soon treat myself to a new bottle. If you like your fellow men, one spray is enough, because this is not a volatile scent.
I use it practically only in the cool season, because it becomes too much for me otherwise.
As much as I loathe vanilla, this scent may remain.
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Why we have become nothing
When you came into the world, I lived in a grey-green skyscraper in a desolate boardroom on the fourth floor. I smelled you and I was all over you. Just save a little bit and you'd be mine. Every working day I took the elevator down, rushed to the bus and drove to the big city, to my apprenticeship. Every day I was late and had to wait for the elevator where your scent was floating. The neighbor below me had sprayed herself with you. And she was always punctual at the bus stop. At work the same thing - I took the elevator up - surrounded by your scent - one colleague carried you, the next and another. After two weeks I had had enough, so to speak. I've been wrestling with your mix of sultry sweetness that first captivated me. Sometimes you still meet me today. My heart becomes heavy and a soft sigh rises from my throat, a melancholic regret that we became nothing and I am again alone in the desolate grey elevator cabin
Scent 8.0/10
Get up, get up, get up !!
To me "Le Bain" is that invisible full metal jacket which is always there for me.
Uplifting, re-assuring, fresh and velvety: time to re-assemble yourself for a nice change of scenery, clothing and company!
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
Not Le Bain...but La Pâtisserie...
In previous reviews, other people stated that this perfume smelled like vanilla and bitter almond... and that is true. I can not notice the aldehydes, the flowers...only a very strong, ambery scent with hints of tonka, patchouli and precious wood. This perfume can not deny its belonging to the 80's. It is strong, bold, confident and unashamed. Like a sister of fragances like Jean-Paul Gaultier Classique (minus the spices), Estée Lauder's Beautiful and YSL Yvresse.

The name is misleading and not wisely chosen. This should have been called La Pâtisserie instead of Le Bain. That does not smell like a bath, or an expensive spa. This smells like some sort of expensive dessert, but miles ahead of modern gourmand fragances. No candyfloss, no praliné. The sweetness of Le Bain is dense, adult and even boozy, like some sort of pancakes flambed with Cointreau. Only for uninhibited lovers of oriental fragances.

I think this is a perfume better for winter time and nights out.
Boozy smoothness of the finest grade
Another incredible fragrance from the house of Joop and it was instant love for me. It surely is boozy, smooth with just the perfect balance between the balsamic aspect and the vanilla. I always loved Joop Femme, but I think I like this even better. LOVELY!

Jul
2017
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Le Bain d'Amandes Invisibles
I am starting to wonder if the pyramid of notes released by some perfume houses is not a figment of their fertile imagination, and completely unrelated to what’s in the bottle.
“What’s in the bottle” is of course a figure of speech, because we already know that apart from very high-end concoctions, notes are all but an interpretation of the molecules used in the formula.

Still.

Could it be a clever little masquerade using the power of suggestion?

A means of driving our imagination wild with a mouth-watering recipe that appears to be rich and complex, when in fact, it hides a pretty basic and simple mix?
I guess we’ll never know.

To me, Le Bain smells of bitter almonds and vanilla … and that’s pretty much it.
Lucky thing that I love bitter almonds and vanilla then, hey?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a lovely fragrance to chill out in, and it does smell yummy.
It’s also pretty linear, and holds well.
Should have been called Vanilla-Almond.

Still, the question remains: where is that damn almond note
Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 3.0/10
Nice, but...
Today I sold my bottle on Ebay, but it wasn´t easy, though it´s discontinued. Someone mentioned the word sauna and that´s a very good description. The fragrance brings a sense of steam and wood. Unfortunately I didn´t know which occasions I could use it so therefore I decided that it had to go. It will certainly become someone's favorite perfume. Why keep it forgotten on a shelf?
I like Joop le Bain but I love Joop Femme.
Update: Oh, it seems I may not have correct info. It is still in production? I have read that it´s discontinued.

• by Blödel by Blödel
  • by Echtdufte by Echtdufte
  • by Stardust by Stardust
  • by Gwiazdka72 by Gwiazdka72

Popular Joop!

Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Wild by Joop! Joop! Jump (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! All About Eve (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Go by Joop! Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Man by Joop! Berlin (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! What About Adam (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Nuit d'été (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Splash by Joop! Joop! Miss Wild by Joop! Joop! Homme Extreme (Eau de Toilette Intense) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Woman by Joop! Joop! Homme Sport by Joop! Rococo (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Wow! for Women by Joop!