Le Bain (1988)Eau de Parfum

Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop!

Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Joop! for women and was released in 1988. The scent is sweet-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Symrise

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Orange blossom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.06.2020.

Welcome to the spa!
I have to admit : For a long time I would not really have the old German "classics" on the screen. Joop, Chopard (comes from Switzerland, I know), Jil Sander... Fragrances like "Le Bain" are often available at ridiculous prices. So I decided to test myself, hoping to discover one or the other scent jewel.

First of all: I like "Le Bain" very much. In the prelude a herbal orange welcomes me, which is underlined by a tender vanilla sweetness. Especially in the top note, the fragrance immediately takes me into a spa. It smells like a fine herbal bath. With time the vanilla becomes more dominant. The herbaceous orange gives it more dimension and a wonderful spiciness. So the fragrance then remains on my skin and lasts there for a good 6/7 hours, on clothes all day long. Also the Sillage is good - you will be noticed. 2 sprays should be enough.

"Le Bain" is a true feel-good scent, especially for the colder days. It has a relaxing, warm effect - like the feeling after a bath on a rainy autumn day. I find it really beautiful and I am looking forward to wearing it more often in autumn and winter. For the following summer it will probably be a bit too warm for me
Joop No. 2-the vanilla scent
Joop was of course known to me since the ninzigers, who were my youth. I read Vogue when I was 15 and collected it for years. So it was impossible for me to escape the name Wolgang Joop. I never had a scent of Joop, though.
A few years ago my sweetheart gave me a 40 ml bottle of it. Of course, the scent was immediately familiar to me. I'm sure I've smelled it before, but not on myself.
I liked the scent right away, even though it is a bit more tame today than before.
I'll try to describe it sometime.

It starts with orange notes that don't go into the citric. Vanilla is also soft to the palate from the very beginning. This is the time when it also smells slightly of plastic and has this Barbie doll note. But in a pleasant way. I don't know if Barbies smell like that anymore. Flowers join in, but cannot be smelled out individually. Rather they infer the vanilla only.
In no case does the scent go in the flowery direction. Le bain becomes increasingly ambrier, warmer, musk and patchouli strengthen this effect even more. The vanilla increasingly takes over the rudder but never becomes too sweet and always remains pleasant. It is also accompanied by a spicy note that makes me think a little of Mon Guerlain EdP. I suppose it's the cedar that makes the scent appear that way.

Also in this version (approx. 4 years old from 2015- can't judge if I didn't put it back on again in the meantime) I like it very much and it's durable for a long time. In the meantime I got hold of a very old bottle, which smells even more intense and lasts even longer. The bottle can also be recognised by the dark cornflower it has embossed on the cap, while the new version has it in white. At the front of the bottle the inscription Joop is printed a little bit more delicate and smaller than on the new one and the "J" is drawn further down. The inscription "Le bain" was missing earlier. It's only been added over the years. When exactly she came in is unfortunately not known to me. So if you ever see a bottle like that, it's vintage, and it's a fast grab.

Especially now in December at Christmas time I like to wear it very much. The time is currently ideal for vanilla fragrances. Le bain will surely stay in my collection and I hope that it will last for a few more years.

Lovely embraces
This is an interesting fragrance, out of the ordinary!

For some reason, it strongly reminds me of the first Dolce & Gabbana - must be because much of the notes are identical.

Much softer, not so suffocating as that one - here it's a soothing, caressing, creamy/buttery scent which seals onto the skin.

Super longevity, great great sillage. Worth a try!

*note: best to walk into a cloud of it then to spray directly. It is very strong and takes time to settle, so the cloud helps to stick gently the fragrance*
Nostalgia beats antipathy
Oh yes, Joop le bain...I have to dig deep into the nostalgia box.
I was 16 and went to the local perfumery with my first self earned money as a tutor and around Christmas time I bought this for me at that time terribly expensive bottle. I've dosed it so sparingly, I still have some today. I'm not into vanilla at all, except for the vanilla coke, which nobody likes but me. However as fragrance, room fragrance, shower gel, body lotion, no no no.
But I like this fragrance, even though it's totally out of my fragrance line. And I think it's not just nostalgia, it's just really well done and has stayed good over the years. Some perfumers or manufacturers tend to take really good fragrances from the market or to compose new ones and spoil them with them, but nothing like that happened here. I recently sprayed it on again in the perfumery and was immediately 16 again. For this reason alone I will soon treat myself to a new bottle. If you like your fellow men, one spray is enough, because this is not a volatile scent.
I use it practically only in the cool season, because it becomes too much for me otherwise.
As much as I loathe vanilla, this scent may remain.
Aolani
Why we have become nothing
When you came into the world, I lived in a grey-green skyscraper in a desolate boardroom on the fourth floor. I smelled you and I was all over you. Just save a little bit and you'd be mine. Every working day I took the elevator down, rushed to the bus and drove to the big city, to my apprenticeship. Every day I was late and had to wait for the elevator where your scent was floating. The neighbor below me had sprayed herself with you. And she was always punctual at the bus stop. At work the same thing - I took the elevator up - surrounded by your scent - one colleague carried you, the next and another. After two weeks I had had enough, so to speak. I've been wrestling with your mix of sultry sweetness that first captivated me. Sometimes you still meet me today. My heart becomes heavy and a soft sigh rises from my throat, a melancholic regret that we became nothing and I am again alone in the desolate grey elevator cabin

Fanny
Get up, get up, get up !!
To me "Le Bain" is that invisible full metal jacket which is always there for me.
Uplifting, re-assuring, fresh and velvety: time to re-assemble yourself for a nice change of scenery, clothing and company!

MadameVizard
Not Le Bain...but La Pâtisserie...
In previous reviews, other people stated that this perfume smelled like vanilla and bitter almond... and that is true. I can not notice the aldehydes, the flowers...only a very strong, ambery scent with hints of tonka, patchouli and precious wood. This perfume can not deny its belonging to the 80's. It is strong, bold, confident and unashamed. Like a sister of fragances like Jean-Paul Gaultier Classique (minus the spices), Estée Lauder's Beautiful and YSL Yvresse.

The name is misleading and not wisely chosen. This should have been called La Pâtisserie instead of Le Bain. That does not smell like a bath, or an expensive spa. This smells like some sort of expensive dessert, but miles ahead of modern gourmand fragances. No candyfloss, no praliné. The sweetness of Le Bain is dense, adult and even boozy, like some sort of pancakes flambed with Cointreau. Only for uninhibited lovers of oriental fragances.

I think this is a perfume better for winter time and nights out.

Germanblonde
Boozy smoothness of the finest grade
Another incredible fragrance from the house of Joop and it was instant love for me. It surely is boozy, smooth with just the perfect balance between the balsamic aspect and the vanilla. I always loved Joop Femme, but I think I like this even better. LOVELY!

Jul
2017

Le Bain d'Amandes Invisibles
I am starting to wonder if the pyramid of notes released by some perfume houses is not a figment of their fertile imagination, and completely unrelated to what’s in the bottle.
“What’s in the bottle” is of course a figure of speech, because we already know that apart from very high-end concoctions, notes are all but an interpretation of the molecules used in the formula.

Still.

Could it be a clever little masquerade using the power of suggestion?

A means of driving our imagination wild with a mouth-watering recipe that appears to be rich and complex, when in fact, it hides a pretty basic and simple mix?
I guess we’ll never know.

To me, Le Bain smells of bitter almonds and vanilla … and that’s pretty much it.
Lucky thing that I love bitter almonds and vanilla then, hey?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a lovely fragrance to chill out in, and it does smell yummy.
It’s also pretty linear, and holds well.
Should have been called Vanilla-Almond.

Still, the question remains: where is that damn almond note

Nice, but...
Today I sold my bottle on Ebay, but it wasn´t easy, though it´s discontinued. Someone mentioned the word sauna and that´s a very good description. The fragrance brings a sense of steam and wood. Unfortunately I didn´t know which occasions I could use it so therefore I decided that it had to go. It will certainly become someone's favorite perfume. Why keep it forgotten on a shelf?
I like Joop le Bain but I love Joop Femme.
Update: Oh, it seems I may not have correct info. It is still in production? I have read that it´s discontinued.

KimJongKimJong 132 days ago
Very strong balsamic vanilla bomb. Honey and lemon cake, cherry flavored snus tobacco, really delicious scent!
DPArtistDPArtist 14 months ago
This is a lovely deep, boozy and balsamic vanilla & tonka unisex scent, later on white floral notes appear adding a little more femininity.

by Blödel
by Blödel
Mein warmes, mildes, klares 'Le Bain' – ich mag dich!
by Santalwalti
Liebsten Dank für all die tollen Kommentare und generell fürs Vorbeischauen, ;-)
by PureNeugier
by Minea
Sieht ohne Deckel einfach besser aus.
by Tribu
by Stardust
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Joop!

Nuit d'été (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! What About Adam (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Absolute by Joop! Berlin (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Joop! Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Go by Joop! Joop! Jump (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Man by Joop! Le Bain Soft Moments by Joop! Nuit d'été (Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Wild by Joop! Rococo for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! All About Eve (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Muse by Joop! Rococo (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Ice by Joop!