Le Bain 1988Eau de Parfum

Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop!
Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Joop! for women and was released in 1988. The scent is sweet-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Symrise

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Orange blossom, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose, Sandalwood, Cedar
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.09.2020.

Lilue
Melting with my skin as if made for each other
The experience that a perfume doesn't smell as good on your own skin and turns out less beautiful than on the paper strip or on your girlfriend yesterday is probably well known to all of us - and every time it's just sad.

Here I was allowed to experience exactly the opposite. Sprayed in this way it smelled too sweet, too heavy, too vanilla, at the same time like teenager and old grandma. But after spraying it on my skin, I was really enchanted. As if I had taken a milk bath with Cleopatra herself, enriched with the most beautiful flowers and golden oils. In one moment I felt my mother's embrace and at the same time the mother in me woke up, who prepares warm milk with honey for her children and not two seconds later I had the feeling that I had not been so pure and clean since my birth.

I must confess, even if it is more of a fragrance for cold days, I wore it even at 35 degrees in the summer holidays in Turkey, if it fits, it just fits and what can I say, I was in love. Meanwhile it is allowed to please me rather from autumn to cold spring and warm me from the outside to the inside and I can recommend it for all true perfume lovers, who also dress with fragrances when going to bed, after a warm shower a good hour before bedtime, no matter if you share the bed with the better half or your own whole.
Relax
Fluffy vanilla in the bath or in the SPA
Le Bain, is a bestseller from the house of Joop. The fragrance celebrated its triumphal march, just like Sun, in the 90s. Here, however, with a large body line of powder, shampoo's, conditioners, etc.
Today, if I am not mistaken, there is only shower and body lotion of the fragrance.

Le Bain was a ritual, not just vanilla, but also had sensual oriental notes, like a hot scented bath, a Cleopatra bath with all the trimmings. I still have an old bottle of the powdery milk bath, which colours the water white and the smell is so strong that afterwards the whole apartment smells like Le Bain.

Le Bain had, until the middle of the 2000s, a pithy "burnt" note, and the lychee and plum (which is no longer listed in the pyramid of fragrances) were wonderfully scented with a floral rose note and vanilla, which was dominant with a striking powdery water pipe note
Today Le Bain still exists, but its "time" is long gone.
Welcome to the spa!
I have to admit : For a long time I would not really have the old German "classics" on the screen. Joop, Chopard (comes from Switzerland, I know), Jil Sander... Fragrances like "Le Bain" are often available at ridiculous prices. So I decided to test myself, hoping to discover one or the other scent jewel.

First of all: I like "Le Bain" very much. In the prelude a herbal orange welcomes me, which is underlined by a tender vanilla sweetness. Especially in the top note, the fragrance immediately takes me into a spa. It smells like a fine herbal bath. With time the vanilla becomes more dominant. The herbaceous orange gives it more dimension and a wonderful spiciness. So the fragrance then remains on my skin and lasts there for a good 6/7 hours, on clothes all day long. Also the Sillage is good - you will be noticed. 2 sprays should be enough.

"Le Bain" is a true feel-good scent, especially for the colder days. It has a relaxing, warm effect - like the feeling after a bath on a rainy autumn day. I find it really beautiful and I am looking forward to wearing it more often in autumn and winter. For the following summer it will probably be a bit too warm for me
Joop No. 2-the vanilla scent
Joop was of course known to me since the ninzigers, who were my youth. I read Vogue when I was 15 and collected it for years. So it was impossible for me to escape the name Wolgang Joop. I never had a scent of Joop, though.
A few years ago my sweetheart gave me a 40 ml bottle of it. Of course, the scent was immediately familiar to me. I'm sure I've smelled it before, but not on myself.
I liked the scent right away, even though it is a bit more tame today than before.
I'll try to describe it sometime.

It starts with orange notes that don't go into the citric. Vanilla is also soft to the palate from the very beginning. This is the time when it also smells slightly of plastic and has this Barbie doll note. But in a pleasant way. I don't know if Barbies smell like that anymore. Flowers join in, but cannot be smelled out individually. Rather they infer the vanilla only.
In no case does the scent go in the flowery direction. Le bain becomes increasingly ambrier, warmer, musk and patchouli strengthen this effect even more. The vanilla increasingly takes over the rudder but never becomes too sweet and always remains pleasant. It is also accompanied by a spicy note that makes me think a little of Mon Guerlain EdP. I suppose it's the cedar that makes the scent appear that way.

Also in this version (approx. 4 years old from 2015- can't judge if I didn't put it back on again in the meantime) I like it very much and it's durable for a long time. In the meantime I got hold of a very old bottle, which smells even more intense and lasts even longer. The bottle can also be recognised by the dark cornflower it has embossed on the cap, while the new version has it in white. At the front of the bottle the inscription Joop is printed a little bit more delicate and smaller than on the new one and the "J" is drawn further down. The inscription "Le bain" was missing earlier. It's only been added over the years. When exactly she came in is unfortunately not known to me. So if you ever see a bottle like that, it's vintage, and it's a fast grab.

Especially now in December at Christmas time I like to wear it very much. The time is currently ideal for vanilla fragrances. Le bain will surely stay in my collection and I hope that it will last for a few more years.

Lovely embraces
This is an interesting fragrance, out of the ordinary!

For some reason, it strongly reminds me of the first Dolce & Gabbana - must be because much of the notes are identical.

Much softer, not so suffocating as that one - here it's a soothing, caressing, creamy/buttery scent which seals onto the skin.

Super longevity, great great sillage. Worth a try!

*note: best to walk into a cloud of it then to spray directly. It is very strong and takes time to settle, so the cloud helps to stick gently the fragrance*
Nostalgia beats antipathy
Oh yes, Joop le bain...I have to dig deep into the nostalgia box.
I was 16 and went to the local perfumery with my first self earned money as a tutor and around Christmas time I bought this for me at that time terribly expensive bottle. I've dosed it so sparingly, I still have some today. I'm not into vanilla at all, except for the vanilla coke, which nobody likes but me. However as fragrance, room fragrance, shower gel, body lotion, no no no.
But I like this fragrance, even though it's totally out of my fragrance line. And I think it's not just nostalgia, it's just really well done and has stayed good over the years. Some perfumers or manufacturers tend to take really good fragrances from the market or to compose new ones and spoil them with them, but nothing like that happened here. I recently sprayed it on again in the perfumery and was immediately 16 again. For this reason alone I will soon treat myself to a new bottle. If you like your fellow men, one spray is enough, because this is not a volatile scent.
I use it practically only in the cool season, because it becomes too much for me otherwise.
As much as I loathe vanilla, this scent may remain.
Aolani
Why we have become nothing
When you came into the world, I lived in a grey-green skyscraper in a desolate boardroom on the fourth floor. I smelled you and I was all over you. Just save a little bit and you'd be mine. Every working day I took the elevator down, rushed to the bus and drove to the big city, to my apprenticeship. Every day I was late and had to wait for the elevator where your scent was floating. The neighbor below me had sprayed herself with you. And she was always punctual at the bus stop. At work the same thing - I took the elevator up - surrounded by your scent - one colleague carried you, the next and another. After two weeks I had had enough, so to speak. I've been wrestling with your mix of sultry sweetness that first captivated me. Sometimes you still meet me today. My heart becomes heavy and a soft sigh rises from my throat, a melancholic regret that we became nothing and I am again alone in the desolate grey elevator cabin

Fanny
Get up, get up, get up !!
To me "Le Bain" is that invisible full metal jacket which is always there for me.
Uplifting, re-assuring, fresh and velvety: time to re-assemble yourself for a nice change of scenery, clothing and company!

MadameVizard
Not Le Bain...but La Pâtisserie...
In previous reviews, other people stated that this perfume smelled like vanilla and bitter almond... and that is true. I can not notice the aldehydes, the flowers...only a very strong, ambery scent with hints of tonka, patchouli and precious wood. This perfume can not deny its belonging to the 80's. It is strong, bold, confident and unashamed. Like a sister of fragances like Jean-Paul Gaultier Classique (minus the spices), Estée Lauder's Beautiful and YSL Yvresse.

The name is misleading and not wisely chosen. This should have been called La Pâtisserie instead of Le Bain. That does not smell like a bath, or an expensive spa. This smells like some sort of expensive dessert, but miles ahead of modern gourmand fragances. No candyfloss, no praliné. The sweetness of Le Bain is dense, adult and even boozy, like some sort of pancakes flambed with Cointreau. Only for uninhibited lovers of oriental fragances.

I think this is a perfume better for winter time and nights out.

Germanblonde
Boozy smoothness of the finest grade
Another incredible fragrance from the house of Joop and it was instant love for me. It surely is boozy, smooth with just the perfect balance between the balsamic aspect and the vanilla. I always loved Joop Femme, but I think I like this even better. LOVELY!

Jul
2017

KimJongKimJong 8 months ago
Very strong balsamic vanilla bomb. Honey and lemon cake, cherry flavored snus tobacco, really delicious scent!
DPArtistDPArtist 18 months ago
This is a lovely deep, boozy and balsamic vanilla & tonka unisex scent, later on white floral notes appear adding a little more femininity.

by Blödel
by Blödel
Mein warmes, mildes, klares 'Le Bain' – ich mag dich!
by Santalwalti
Liebsten Dank für all die tollen Kommentare und generell fürs Vorbeischauen, ;-)
by PureNeugier
by Minea
Sieht ohne Deckel einfach besser aus.
by Tribu
by Stardust
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Joop!

Nuit d'été (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! What About Adam (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Absolute by Joop! Berlin (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Nuit d'été (Parfum) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Joop! Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Go by Joop! Joop! Jump (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Rococo for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Man by Joop! Le Bain Soft Moments by Joop! Joop! Homme Wild by Joop! All About Eve (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Ice by Joop! Wow! for Women (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Muse by Joop!