Nightflight (1992)Eau de Toilette

Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) by Joop!

Nightflight (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Joop! for men and was released in 1992. The scent is fresh-citrusy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesPineapple, Bergamot, Green notes, Lavender, Juniper, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeranium, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Almond, Rose, Rosewood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.05.2020.

Barefoot, Staring At The Midnight Ocean, Lost In Thought And Wonder
As a "Joop! Homme" worshipper, I had no doubts about instantly purchasing and wearing Nightflight when it was released in 1992. The blue sapphire bottle engraved with stars and the cap wrapped in a silver metal band immediately attracted my attention, and the juice inside did the rest. Nightflight was a surprisingly pleasant alternative to the original, which I found to be a black cherry syrup juice.

The original version of '92 had an unbelievably fresh property, with a kind of vibe kindred to Azzaro Chrome and Davidoff Cool Water, Giorgio Beverly Hills Wings, and Chopard's Heaven, quite mysterious, imagine the smell of sparkling moonlight, nightfall full of stars. Did you ever fly at night, the full moon reflecting above a blanket of clouds, the sky full of stars? Nightflight reminded me of that phantasmagorical scenario. It was quite a bright, fresh, sharp, floral aquatic fragrance, but anything calone for that matter!
Right off the bat, a fresh burst of citrus fruit, lemon and bergamot, creamy lavender, and grassy green notes spread in the air after the initial sprays. Albeit pineapple is one of the most rated notes, I did not remember it as such an important note, surely not a kind of like Aventus for instance. A touch of juniper berries was balancing otherwise too zesty and creamy opening. The overall opening was aromatic, citrus, a bit fruity, and green, of course.

The heart turned into something more bittersweet and floral. Venomous masculine and overtly hypnotic almond went very well with feminine white flowers, gentle rose, and rosewood. Again, this heart did not result in a sweetheart thanks to the addition of earthy geranium. It was a core that led to floral, with a touch of gourmand and woody facets, and plenty of white florals. That floriental scent lingered for hours before wearing off when dry.

Finally, when I thought there was nothing more to come, the dry down exploded in all its fragrance. Woody and musky accords of flat sandal and clean musk juxtaposed against yummy dry amber and sweetish tonka. There was a burnt note in the background. When I wore it twenty years ago, I didn't know what it was. Now I know, it was the smell of roasted tonka beans and cumin! Even with plenty of tonka added in the base, the cumin added a tad of spiciness and continued to prevent this composition from becoming particularly cloying. Besides, the cumin gave the fragrance an intriguing saltiness, and only smelt like cumin if you concentrated.

As an oriental, I preferred to wear it when I was outside during the colder months, the sweetness was all too much for me in the heating period, and tonka, amber, and sandal lent it a little warmth. It did quite an excellent job during winter as it cut through the cold air. Exceptional longevity and the sillage was great as you'd expect from Joop!. I've just realized it's suited for a lovely summer evening, maybe even during the daytime in spring and fall, now I know. I found that when I wore Nightflight in 'passionate moments' it started to shine with the heat of the body.

Stay well; stay healthy.

-Elysium
Back to the year 1996
It was 1996 and Pollita was in the final stages of her baccalaureate. After her A-levels she wanted to start her studies. She had only recently ended a strenuous relationship that had lasted over two years and was now at the tender age of 19 ready for a new phase in her life. That's when she met him. She had known him for a while, but it was only then that they got to know each other better. He was already 30 and the young chick was warned by everyone in her family and circle of acquaintances that he was too old and that this could not go well. She still has the words of her grandmother in her head: "If you're not married or have a boyfriend by the time you're 30, there's something wrong with them," she told her granddaughter over and over again. Spending time with him just meant fun, happiness, joy. No barriers like before. With him she discovered her joy in football and even today both still cheer on the same team with enthusiasm. Whether in the club, in the football stadium on the fairground - this time with him was characterized by unbelievable much joy and detachment. That's exactly why she fell in love with him. He worked as a DJ in a bar and played her favorite songs, lots of new wave and synth pop, which she loved so much. She was wearing JPG Classique. He Joop Nightflight. Together they often lay under the starry sky and waited together until the sun rose in the morning.

It didn't last more than a year. Family and friends should be right. But they still have contact today and get along very well. Pollita has been happily married for many years. He's still a bachelor. How clever grandma was back then :)

A little anecdote from my life...

I still associate this fragrance with him today and with this wonderful part of my life that I would never want to miss. Too bad he disappeared from the market like so many other beautiful fragrances. Fragrances magically bring all the images and emotions from the past back to life. Maybe that's why I love scents so much?
Smellow1987
First of all I would like to thank my good work colleague Ingo for GIFTING me his bottle Nightflight with about 60ml leftover content.

I don't understand how you could delete this unique and bombastic fragrance from your assortment.
The person(s) who decided that should in my opinion get the termination without notice banged on their table.
Joop Homme stays and Nightflight has to go!?!?? What the f8ck is wrong with you!?!?
Of course Joop Homme isn't a bad scent in itself, but I can't smell him anymore, because 2 other colleagues wear him as signature scent.
My bottle Homme is getting dusty in the back row now.

Nightflight is the exact opposite of Homme.
It starts fresh-citric and carries this warm-sweet spice of gaaaanz light almond and lily of the valley at the same time.
With time this freshness decreases, but still remains discreet in the background and the slightly sweet one comes more to the fore.

This combination of fresh-citric-sweet-spicy is hardly to be surpassed and I don't know any comparable fragrance except Chopard's "Heaven".

Unfortunately, everyone who wants to go Nightflight may have to switch to dupes at some point :(
With the stomach already turns around in front of it.
Shame on you Joop!

He IS and will forever remain among my top ten fragrances.
¡doof
Comment style:
Erhan's notes and keyword descriptions of the fragrance.

TL;DR:
Topnote: synthetic Big Bang
Heart: nice, thin, tangy-sweet, clean, slightly transparent, colourless/transparent cocktail scent
Basis: fabulous, light shaving foam imitation

Fun Fact
"Joop" turned 180 degrees = "stupid"

Runway:
not citric at all; slightly greenish-mossy-musty; fresh; aquatic; woody base; tart-fruity; tart-sweet; non-sticky; masculine-clean (lavender?); pungent rough synthetic fiasco, suggesting spiciness. Almost looks like a thin cocktail/Shot.

In the air:
30-60 minutes later; the synthetic and fruity has diminished and thus the imaginary spiciness says goodbye; still aquatic-fresh with the tart sweetness; amazingly clean in a masculine way (no hand soap or extremely soapy musk.) I'm still guessing lavender, which seems to be there throughout the fragrance); simply structured and harmonious, but doesn't faint; looks pretty light despite its acceptable charisma; do I smell something of an almond note?oha and now suddenly a slight smell of chewing gum, but only for a short time; actually the scent is independent, but still unspectacular; still can't define where this clean, masculine aura comes from; looks a bit later still slightly "boozy"; the flowers mentioned don't smell out either, but could play a big role anyway; Sillage? Something like this between 5 and 6 points; the first two hours well perceptible without it becoming penetrating; afterwards it becomes a bit close to the skin, but radiates constantly for a long time.

Course for the Bermuda Triangle:
3 hours later no longer alcoholic, but still clean, adult, masculine; now a beautiful and light shaving foam note appears more and more and it also becomes a little bit sweeter (Tonka bean?); the aquatic is now also no longer present, although the scent is still slightly fresh; shaving foam + Tonka bean...reminds me a bit of "Portraits - The Tragedy of Lord George" by Penhaligon's; at the latest after 4 hours, this fragrance could convince me a bit; Nightflight has many facets; the fragrance is truly a journey and head-heart-basis could be regarded as different fragrances here, although they are of course closely connected with each other; Nightflight would be something for me if it would smell the same from the beginning as now.

Again 3 hours later, shortly before the Bermuda triangle:
Morpheus1
After 26 years the night flight is over - destination airport reached ?
Another fragrance that is now finally part of the history of fragrance. He's landed. The operating time is over after 26 years and a number of routine maintenance procedures. The gates of the Flight Museum have opened. The lights on the night runway have finally lit up.

I've always skilfully ignored him as a non-fresh-smell fan. He was standing in the department store chains, I ignored him, ignored him. Yes, once I tested him and immediately forgot. Too inconspicuous despite the beautiful blue bottle. Especially because it was cheap and mass-produced. Also did not match my baggage scheme.

So now he is hired and my interest as a non-Fresh-Aquatiker but Vintage Jäger was aroused with a short delay. 433 users own it, so it does have its followers and popularity.

It is not fresh citric but aromatic flowery, fresh sweet. Lavender and pineapple with other flowers and tonka bean play the leading roles. Not a bad smell, but also not the Concorde, the high flyer among the fragrances.

I've built up a bunker supply.
Prices will certainly continue to rise in the foreseeable future.

I wish him not to be forgotten.
My first
It was 1997 and I just returned from a two-week camping holiday in St- Cyprien, France, at the age of 18, and I had never been so tanned in my life. I looked like a blond Spaniard. It was the first day after my return and I strolled with my then 14-year-old sister through the pedestrian zone of my southwest German hometown.
My sister actually wanted to buy herself a perfume in the drugstore Müller and I intended to rummage through the CD department, which was very well sorted for the time But why I turned into the men's perfume aisle is something I cannot say today. Until now, I never needed to own my own perfume. Why would you do that? I was always allowed to make extensive use of Papas Fahrenheit, 1881, and Derringer.
When I sprayed the bottle of Nightflight after an unsystematic sniffing, I was spellbound by the smell of freshness and summer, it somehow continued my Mediterranean holiday in my mind, although I was standing in a non-air conditioned drugstore in the middle of a middle ugly provincial town.

In order to spend the remaining weeks of the summer holidays (then there were still 13 school years), with a feeling of vacation, freshness and a bit of coolness, I had to have this scent! And even more so in the evenings in the equally unklimatisierten, summerly embroidered discos, long before the smoking ban, I would be the most smelly boy/man...I formed myself at least a ;-)

That was in 1997. 22 years later, living for 12 years in a metropolis in northern Germany and only on a few visits to the "provincial town" each year, I recently discovered a broken Nightflight bottle in a kind of cosmetic shoe box for my wife. Of course it is no longer the original one from 1997, but if you spray it into the air, you won't notice a big difference to the scent of that time.... but every single impression I felt when I discovered the scent comes back up. It's a wet and cold winter. The last camping holiday was 19 years ago, smoky discos and visits there are a thing of the past, but a sniff at the bottle and the time travel starts.

I haven't sprayed the scent on myself since eternal times - I had even forgotten that I own it and I was very happy when I found it again. But I haven't really sprayed it on since and I probably won't. Too much it is interwoven with the old times, there it belongs for me and there it will always stay for me.

For me he had his time (with me) and he was fantastic. But (fragrant) life has progressed and made room for new discoveries and memories.
Maybe my last flight ...
... on my olfactory retro voyage back to the '90s!? What the people here smell again and again, amazes me every time anew! :-) But now I come: An insanely citric staircase, which after approx. 10 minutes easily turns into a flowery one. But it remains largely for my meanwhile presumably overstretched olfactory bulb. "You wouldn't call a fragrance of this kind "Nightflight" anymore, rather "Picnic" or "Lemonade"! ;-)

I have really nothing to complain about this EDT, but probably now already some aquatics too much in my collection. The basic trend is towards Versace pour Homme, Allure Homme Sport or Bulgari Aqva. You can't really do anything wrong with this fragrance unless someone tells you: "Yuck, you smell like lemon, sea, lavender and a hint of perwoll!" ;-) I think that's very unlikely, and from there: in summer and in everyday life: very much!

However, the fragrance type "fresh citric" has probably been ticked off for me for the time being, since I have simply enough in this (my preferred) direction. So I'm not quite sure if I'll keep "Nightflight" yet, because the heart note at the end is probably a bit too flowery or soapy for me. So it's no milestone for me.

Sure, I also have numerous T-shirts and shirts, but among them undoubtedly my favorites, which I wear more often than others. "I would actually wear "Nightflight" less often and put it in the category "functional standard" ... Because I fly at night only to reach a certain goal during the day, and not because I think it's so awesome! ;-)

GabrielCupim
Long live the citrus scents
Being a citrus lover and user during my whole life, I really love this one!
Spicy, fresh, clean.
Acid pineapple stands out in my skin.

I expected it to last more, though.
(it's a moderate for me, but acording to the reviews it's a long lasting for most of people, which I'm not included)

Very interesting and versatile, can be used for work, sports, dates, and even a club.

I could smell like this all day! :) (and night)

Pineapple
Lots of pinneaple and lavender with good lasting power and great sillage.

But it doesnt work with my skin... Smells too synthetic when dries down.

Updated January 2014

ElysiumElysium 45 days ago
Excruciatingly bittersweet, a bomb of creamy lavender, bitterly almond, and roasted tonka. Pineapple overdosed right before Aventus happened

by Zora
by Zora
Test im Windkanal vor Abflug...Belichtungsspiel
by Flanker
by ErhanSaceros
by ErhanSaceros
Joop! - Nightflight (1992)
by Morpheus1
...Boarding Time is 22:45, please go to gate B for the nightflight number...
by TomLavender
by Speedylive
by NasiGoreng
by NasiGoreng

Popular Joop!

Nuit d'été (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! What About Adam (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme Absolute by Joop! Berlin (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Joop! Le Bain (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Femme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Wow! for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Go by Joop! Joop! Jump (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! Joop! Thrill Man by Joop! Le Bain Soft Moments by Joop! Nuit d'été (Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Wild by Joop! Rococo for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Joop! All About Eve (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Muse by Joop! Rococo (Eau de Parfum) by Joop! Joop! Homme Ice by Joop!