Musk Oil (1972)

Musk Oil by Jōvan

Musk Oil is a perfume by Jōvan for women and was released in 1972. The scent is powdery-oriental. It is being marketed by Coty.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Peach, Star anise
Heart Notes Heart NotesCocoa butter, Lavender, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Patchouli, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 11.09.2019

8.0 6.0 8.0 10.0/10

Little Immergeher from the seventies
Immediately after dabbing Jovan Musk Oil, I have here a 3.7 ml bottle of it, a fruity twitchy scent rises into my nose, I feel immediately transported back to my childhood as I open a roll of Fizzer's dextrose.

Later the scent smells creamy and warm, now I also smell the jasmine, which has been embedded very nicely. This one doesn't stand out in an unpleasant way, but it's easy to guess.
All away I can smell a kinship to the golden Elnett hairspray.

One feels cleanly scrubbed, the smell reminds me of foamed shampoo in the hair and bathroom and cleanliness.

Towards the end, when Jovan Musk says goodbye to the skin, long long after the application, because this fragrance has stamina, at the earliest in the evening, on clothes even the next day still, is simply synthetic musk to sniff out, a musk fragrance, comparable to the musk fragrance of pink Cotton Musk Ulric de Varens.

I would call the scent autumn winter scent.

I actually use Jovan Musk Oil far too seldom, for the fact that it offers such a mad smell experience and hope that it will remain with us in this formulation for a long time. (2013)
6.0 6.0 10.0 10.0/10

SchatzSucher
But your scent will always remain...
I have known Jôvan's Musk Oil since my earliest childhood. It was always the favorite or signature scent of my favorite aunt. And I think it is this fragrance that has paved the way for me to love the fragrant world.
My aunt Gerda was the younger sister of my mother, both women could not have been more different. While my mother was rather calm, down-to-earth, well-balanced and homely and preferred to stay in the background, my aunt was cheerful, spirited, effervescent and always on the move.
Nevertheless, the two got along very well and complemented each other perfectly. The fact that it didn't go off completely without small quarrels and disagreements is obvious with the fundamentally different characters. Nevertheless one could always agree and the small conflicts remained also small.
And back then we always spent a lot of time together. We lived when I was little, just a few streets apart. Almost daily visits were obligatory.
My aunt always had a lot of heart for us children, she was always ready for the funniest jokes and lovingly took care of us when my mother was sick and couldn't take care of us as usual. My cousin was only a few years older than me and my dearest playmate. And yet she was already so responsible that she could look after us on her own.
And I loved my cardigan in HSV colours, which my aunt had knitted for my 5th birthday. A cardigan was never cuddlier and softer. She always had an open ear for children's concerns, which perhaps could not or did not want to be entrusted to her parents. And she always knew a solution for everything.
Those were good times back then.

But I particularly remember the wonderful scent that always surrounded my dear aunt in a very flattering way. That was Musk Oil by Jôvan. This fragrance was a wonderful match for my aunt, as if it had been made especially for her.
This fine, lovely spicy and spicy opening with fruity hints is not loud and intrusive, but very soft and cuddly. After a while this changes into floral, but remains lovely, warm, soft and quiet. This fine but present musk note, which is accompanied by a slight spice, makes the special character of Musk Oil.
The musk tone is perceptible, but it is not dominant, not stinging, never gets too loud and never too heavy.

It may come as a surprise that a woman who is more temperamental and extroverted has a subtle and subtle scent rather than a signature. But I always thought that this was the perfect match. Whenever I snuggled up to my aunt or was taken in her arms by her, I could enjoy this beautiful fragrance in harmony with the whole being of my aunt. I remember often saying to her, "Auntie, you always smell so beautiful! So home and after loving!" She was always very happy about that.

Unfortunately my favourite aunt hasn't lived for a long time, she died in 1990 at the age of just 45, suddenly, unexpectedly. For me a world collapsed, my favourite aunt was no longer there, I could never tell her again that she smelled so great, home and loving.
I think about her from time to time and wonder if she looks down on us through a small window from time to time and if there is Musk Oil where she is now. I would wish it for her from the bottom of my heart.

Just yesterday I was at the drugstore because I needed some banal things. And like magically dressed, it drove me into the scent corner and I stopped in front of a bottle of Musk Oil. I took the tester and sprayed something on my wrists. And immediately my aunt stood before me in spirit, in her warm-hearted, temperamental manner, smiling at me and I couldn't help but take a bottle home with me.
This morning after getting up I was still able to perceive this fine, delicate and yet present scent well on my wrists, so the shelf life is not from bad parents, it was easy 13 hours.
I wouldn't know any season or opportunity that Musk Oil wouldn't suit. You will always be accompanied very fine and delicate by this fragrance.
With this fragrance, which for me is very firmly connected to my aunt Gerda, I can give nothing but the highest score.
Even though it is certainly not as it was in 1977, I recognized it and felt like I was back in my childhood. And I honour the bottle, treat myself to a few splashes all by myself and think affectionately of my aunt, wherever she may be now. And I still miss her....

Stran
Perfume that won't be forgotten
oh, so you're the perfume of my fifth grade neighbor's seat. . . ?
when i wanted to look in Müller for a shower gel, i came across this perfume. i smelled it and wupppp like a time machine i was in the 2001 years when i was 12. suddenly my seat neighbour stood like a fairy in front of me and we talked. i was 12 again and we went out to play, did homework and then i opened my eyes again and was again in the middle of Müller today at the shower gel and cheap! Perfume shelf. . oh I said you are so the perfume of the Veronika? I fell only now on that she has even worn a perfume and I perceived this smell? ! funny. . so had the perfume with. I do not wear it because it is the perfume of Veronika. but if it's bad for me and I smell about something annoying I'm it and like in a time machine in my teen times. it is really strange what perfumes or smells trigger. Thanks Veronika wherever you are for wearing this perfume.
Conclusion: look for a perfume which should be your signature? then Jovan! you will never forget just like Veronika!

by Gaukeleya
by Sternanis
by Echtdufte
by Echtdufte

Popular Jōvan

Musk Oil by Jōvan Sex Appeal for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan White Musk for Women by Jōvan Musk for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan Black Musk by Jōvan Musk Oil Island Musk by Jōvan White Silk by Jōvan White Musk for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan Black Musk (2014) by Jōvan Silky Rose by Jōvan Black Musk for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan Musk for Women by Jōvan Musk Oil Tropical Musk by Jōvan Musk Oil Gold Musk by Jōvan Musk Oil for Men by Jōvan Intense Oud by Jōvan Island Gardenia by Jōvan Satisfaction for Women by Jōvan Satisfaction for Men by Jōvan Ginseng N.R.G. (Cologne) by Jōvan