Sex Appeal for Men 1976 Cologne

Sex Appeal for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan
Sex Appeal for Men (Cologne) is a perfume by Jōvan for men and was released in 1976. The scent is spicy-oriental. It is being marketed by Coty.

SpicesSpices
PatchouliPatchouli
SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.01.2022.

ShaunBaker
Take me now even if I stink, because otherwise I'll say wave, wave and goodbye....
My headline of course does not mean that you stink when you spray sex appeal on, unless you "dieselt" with it, yes then you end up with my headline.
Sex appeal can be discreet if you want, but you do not have to, you can also give the 10 sprüher overkill and the people in the train have in the last car still something of it when you got on in front. So sillage it lacks the Jovan really not!

Olfactory we move here in quite interesting realms, from the oriental spice bazaar we pilgrimage with Tom Selleck and He- Man (with or without loincloth) straight through the perfumery, where we have sprayed us briefly with Old Spice, Obsession and the dusty Patchouliduft down right in the corner where always these old fragrances are no longer interested in anyone, and go with the two snazzy girls who just tried to advise us so energetically in the swingers club.

So or so similar I once summarized the statements to Sex Appeal :-)

On the whole, I can only say: Wow! Here Jovan has brought something, namely a fragrance that lives up to its name, and one of the few for which I got a compliment. So something attractive he must already have in itself.
At the beginning I hear quite strongly clove, clove and again clove, only when this has calmed down a bit, the spices come gradually to it, here the cinnamon joins relatively quickly, as well as cardamom and the sandalwood, which is present quite early. Initially, it reminds me of Old Spice, between head and middle part, it reminds me then something of Obsession (women), but this impression then also subsides, because later the grounding patchouli comes to bear and Sex Appeal shows its independence.

All in all can be summarized: For its year of release a well-made fragrance, if perhaps a little daring, but as you can see, successful to this day. What fascinates me most about the fragrance is the unbeatable P / L ratio, so much (good) fragrance for little money. Here the damage is quickly estimated at the blind buy and if you do not like it, there is always a lover!

The Macho With Big Red Gum
I don't know about you, but this one totally reminds me of those Wrigley's "Big Red" cinnamon gums. According to pretty original and somehow horny opening. But as with the chewing gum, it all also flattens out pretty quickly and what remains is a somewhat antiquated patchouli / sandalwood base, which might appeal to some old schoolers and put off the slightly younger semesters (myself included).

Maybe a trashy accessory for the one or other retro / motto party, which may also go a little longer (because he performed quite well). Otherwise, tight jeans, half-open shirt (chest hair), necklace, mustache, mullet, a few splashes of Jōvans "sex appeal" and off to Pattaya. Then when cute Thai girls are in your arms, it's not because of your full wallet, it's because of this outstanding cologne. Promise! ; )

Jovan Sex Appeal for Men
Gents, do you tire of the endless line of unisex flankers that riddle the fragrance landscape today? Are you really looking to smell like a honey donut, a cup of cinnamon coffee or a basket of dried fruits!?

I will admit, many of the higher end unisex frags are very well blended (Tom Ford, Serge Lutens, CDG) and include upgraded ingredients. I love tobacco so Tobacco Vanille is on my shelf.

Although, these days I am feeling more and more the desire to strip away the fluff and get back to basics.

Jovan Sex Appeal for Men is all about the basics: spices, herbs, musk and patchouli. Unbelievably well blended and at
Bernard
I don't know what to say...
...hence music:

Top note - "Disco Inferno" The Trammps
Heart note - "Heaven's in the back seat of my Cadillac" Hot Chocolate
Base note - " Rock your babe" George McCrea

What an old sow, this sex appeal!
All disco or what
Jovan Sex Appeal opens very citrically with a good dash of bergamot and lemon aroma but then drifts relatively quickly into a mixture of lavender, clove, vetiver and patchouli accompanied by a hint of sandalwood. After half an hour, the scent split into two camps. On one side it is a very citric chypre and on the other a spicy oriental. When it dries, however, the fragrance tends towards the oriental side and a scent of smooth, warm patchouli, wood, musk and spices determines the base note. The durability is with me with considerable 8 hours with a projection which can be evaluated as average.
In his whole way I classify Jovan Sex Appeal as handcrafted rather than rough and simply embroidered. Also the used ingredients do not smell for me necessarily too valuable. Despite everything I could imagine that Sex Appeal had its reason for existence in the disco time of the 70's/80's, in particular also because of the very favorable price. Today, if it has to be this fragrance, I would rather go for Guerlain Héritage, because this perfume is finer and more harmonious.
Konsalik
With Conan at the outdoor pool
Enough has already been said about names and outer packaging or the advertising text immortalised on them. I also don't want to talk too much about the wonderful marketing connection that Jovan made with a barbarian fantasy of the great illustrator Frank Frazetta (you can have a look at it in the picture gallery). Just this much: I have a heart for trash with momentum. And an advertising text à la Sex Appeal ("Now that you have acquired the "power" my son, you must swear to me by the sacred sword of Jovan, that you will use the power only for good... never for evil") appeals to the Manowar-Shirt-wearing teenager deep inside me more than any "obsession" could ever have. And anyway: Doesn't this pathos reveal a last remnant - albeit clumsy - of chivalry that is completely absent from the advertising strategists of contemporary flat-laying guarantee fragrances? Be it as it is.

Our lightning rod in the loincloth, which is storming the summit and still challenges the gods on the mentioned poster, first makes himself a lazy afternoon on the skin in the outdoor pool. Seriously: Everything about the head and heart note of Sex Appeal reminds me of visits to the local swimming pool in my childhood: There is a sweaty note, almost chlorine-like in its bite, which I had already noticed in much weaker form in Lapidus pour Homme. More than just a hint of suntan lotion. Something with almond flavor. And basically it was for quite a while already - at least for my nose: nostalgic, but slightly headache chemistry, but quite charming and not horrible, even if it might read like that. Only after a while (but not without strength) sandalwood and patchouli appear dark and warm. Conan has buzzed off the chlorine broth, rubbed herself down and now lies in the dimly lit barbarian tent on a wind-whipped plain, waiting for the arrival of the sexy warrior princess. The staked skulls of his enemies stepped into the dust adorn... oh, pardon me! The teenager in the Manowar shirt had briefly taken the reins. My next review must be for another English classic; Sex Appeal doesn't bring my best to the surface.

Inexpensive oriental bomb
Inexpensive oriental bomb. Jovan has great portfolio in the industry with only few perfumes, one of which is Sex Appeal. This perfume is an 70's child (it's 1976 production originally) and has strong sharp woody spicy character.

The beginning is so peppery soft lavender with very strange nostalgic vibe that reminds nothing yet it drives me crazy to strain to emerge a retro memoir.

Anyhow, the second phase is on sandalwood and soft vegetal patchouli and stingy spices, cumin and anise probably. The very base encompasses soft sandal, anise, soft musk and rounded amber. A good perfume, at least it was so and I have so many good things with. So sad that such good choices go underrated by their cheap prices.
8/10

Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 years ago
How can someone state that this fragrance is similar to Dana's TABU, Creed's BOIS DU PORTUGAL, V&R SPICEBOMB and Cardin's POUR MONSIEEUR
H27H27 4 years ago
2.5
this essence is too much for me, too spicy in the opening... tried 3 times but I had to wash... unpleasant bomb...sorry but only my opinion

rotlicht wäre passender:-)
by Raf66
by Nikodemus
by Nikodemus

Popular Jōvan

White Musk for Women by Jōvan Musk Oil by Jōvan Musk Oil Island Musk by Jōvan Musk for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan White Silk by Jōvan Musk for Men (Aftershave) by Jōvan Musk Oil for Men by Jōvan White Musk for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan Black Musk (2009) by Jōvan Musk Oil Gold Musk by Jōvan Ginseng N.R.G. (Cologne) by Jōvan Island Gardenia by Jōvan Black Musk for Men (Cologne) by Jōvan Musk for Women by Jōvan Silky Rose by Jōvan Secret Amber by Jōvan Intense Oud by Jōvan Jōvan Woman by Jōvan Sex Appeal for Men (Aftershave) by Jōvan Musk Oil Tropical Musk by Jōvan