Incident Diplomatique (2017)

Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy

Incident Diplomatique is a popular perfume by Jovoy for women and men and was released in 2017. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesHaitian vetiver, Java vetiver, Nutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Sandalwood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 20.10.2019.

9.0 10.0 9.0 9.0/10

A strong appearance
Diplomacy, the art of negotiation, is ultimately closely linked to the ability to wrap criticism and aversion in fine words and to use good arguments to persuade one's counterpart to rethink. Jovoy's creation definitely has strong arguments.

When I visited Bologna in October, I was in the Antica Profumeria Al Sacro Cuore, among other places, where there are fragrances from many great niche brands to test - including Jovoy. I wanted to get Incident Diplomatique under my nose because, like Caligari, I became aware of it through YouTuber Sebastian and the statements and comments here made me curious. After I was sprayed on a strip of paper (no self-service!), I tested a lot of other scents, but I came back to the beginning - which was atypical for me. So the Jovoy was stubborn and fascinating at the same time.

It is not fresh, there is no trace of the mandarin and fortunately I do not find Incident Diplomatique to be herbaceous. All facets of vetiver (green, woody, earthy) are celebrated here and a thoroughly masculine, classic and uncompromising aura is achieved with dry, woody patchoulis. This combination is very reminiscent of private labels, but less resinous and leathery and instead greener and more characterized by dry smoke. The fragrance is also stubborn, because there is hardly any de facto one. Despite this apparent reduction, Jovoy has once again managed to create an intense and long-lasting fragrance that is both complex and natural.

The names of the Jovoy fragrances - in contrast to those of many other brands - seem to me to be very conclusive: Private label reminds of a good whiskey, Psychédelique lets the wearer travel into the hippie era thanks to the earthy patchouli and La Liturgie des Heures has a sacral effect through the dominant incense. The diplomatic incident consists of the interplay of strong notes of classic men's perfumes and the uncompromising, relentless power unleashed here. (At work, my fragrances are usually never commented, but my boss said this morning, I must have bathed in perfume...)

Now I don't like standing with one foot in the olfactory Stone Age at all - but in my opinion that's not the case with Incident Diplomatique and Jovoy at all. The brand's fragrances seem timeless to me. They are demanding, but in the end they manage to wrap me around my finger.
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.5/10

Too bad...
It is a pity that such fragrances are so little spread even by a relatively well-known brand like Jovoy. Somehow the question of the meaning of this hobby arises. Last week, the fifth or sixth Spicebomb derivative ran down my nose without me wearing a fragrance from the group, for example. And in between there is hardly anything left hanging that fascinates in a lasting way. Don't misunderstand! There are many fragrances which I like very much and which do not have any twin fragrances known to me. But the certain "aha" effect in the combination with a pronounced sense of pleasure is really rather the exception for fragrance samples of 1,000 or more.

Although I have already tried three to four Jovoys and I liked all of them well, as with the other 8,207 brands (as at 15.10.2018) it was not enough to taste the entire range of brands. And yet, the attention tends to get caught on fragrances whose brand you already know something about. And for this very reason I got stuck in the consumption of a video of Sebjar with this previously completely unknown scent of a brand well known to me. This Baseball cap wearer, who was very likeable to me and above all taken back, found the scent worth mentioning and expressed his enthusiasm so casually that my interest was clearly aroused. Of course there was nothing to be found in the souk and so I had to fall back on the mostly very well functioning community, namely in this case PanicRoom. A third THANK YOU! That way, my dear!

Seldom has it been so easy to order a bottle as here. First of all, it's not the Holy Grail. It's not revelation. But it has been a hitherto unknown approach to freshness, seasoning, smoke and leather that simply catches me. And the fascinating thing: Smoke and leather can't even be drained here in the pyramid. Incidentally, I am only in a few points in agreement with Yatagan's description in his commentary "Bitter Lesson". Patchouli is so far behind for me here that I wouldn't mention him at all. The double vetiver, on the other hand, does. Although I am an unconscious Vetiver fan, I often have to read it before I can smell it. But here it was already perceptible for me without a text. What I would otherwise take over from Yatagan is the mandarin, which provides the almost glistening, biting sharpness/freshness and is thus actually responsible for the coolness and metallicity described. I deny a notable relationship to Sycomore. Encre Noir in one breath.

All in all an impressive combination, which does not show a special variability in the course of time, but in the meantime and constantly omits a concrete definition and thus shimmers like pearls. For me a very masculine and modern fragrance that combines sportiness and understatement. Durability and Sillage are, as usual with Jovoy, on high level. The bottle is beautiful to look at, heavy, but clunky and therefore unwieldy. Packaging and atomizers are exemplary.
7.0 9.0 9.0 8.5/10

Olfactory impression
While not brash this fragrance leaves no room for subtleties, with the interplay of 2 varietals of Vetiver ( Haitian & Java) laced with Mandarin citrus that has a smooth intwined Nutmeg that brings for a seductive sweetness. Not to be left aloft the base comes on 30 mins in with one of the best Patchouli and Sandalwood accords I’ve gotten my nose on. Sweet, smoky, and citric.

Liquidasset 21 months ago

by Odorier
by Liquidasset
by Liquidasset

Popular Jovoy

Psychédelique by Jovoy Private Label by Jovoy L'Enfant Terrible by Jovoy Les Jeux sont Faits by Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures by Jovoy Ambre Premier by Jovoy Rouge Assassin by Jovoy Terra Incognita by Jovoy L'Arbre de la Connaissance by Jovoy Gardez-Moi (2013) by Jovoy L'Art de la Guerre by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Chypre by Jovoy Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Boisé by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Poudré by Jovoy Remember Me by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Hesperidé by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Oriental by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Fougère by Jovoy Quand? by Jovoy