La Liturgie des Heures (2011)

La Liturgie des Heures by Jovoy

La Liturgie des Heures is a perfume by Jovoy for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is resinous-smoky. It is still in production.

Jacques Flori

Top Notes Top NotesLeaf green, Fresh notes, Cypress
Heart Notes Heart NotesLabdanum, Myrrh, Frankincense, Frankincense resin
Base Notes Base NotesMusk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 02.06.2019

2.5 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Messing with the Mass...
Unique? Yes. Bizarre? Absolutely. Wearable? It depends. I'm using incense sticks for a couple of decades now, but I don't like incense fragrances very much. First of all I think there's a huge vagueness in defining what an incense note is, because there are literally hundreds of different "incense" scents out there. In Christianity "incense" is mainly associated with myrrh and olibanum, while in Buddhism it's associated with more exotic substances, like sandalwood and benzoin. Not to mention the multifariousnees of incense sticks, which come in virtually every scent imagined. And as is the case with anything coming in a great variety, our subjective point of view dictates that there are specimens to love and specimens to hate. But I take it that "incense" in perfumery usually means a church-like olfactory quality, cause churches and temples are usually the places where this kind of smell is more likely to be encountered. But despite the fact that an Eastern Orthodox church and a Buddhist temple smell nothing alike, I'll take it for granted that La Liturgie des Heures is an incense fragrance the way such an one is perceived by Christians. All the more that it displays myrrh and olibanum amongst its notes.

However, there's no way I'll follow the "Why would someone want to smell like this?" cliche. Just because! As Latin wisdom has put it centuries ago, "De gustibus non est disputandum." Because the one to whom this question is addressed, could very easily reverse it and ask the one who asks it the very same thing about her/his favourite fragrance. "Why would someone want to smell like a cupcake?". And to be perfectly honest, I never liked smelling like food, thus incense fragrances have a clear lead against gourmands in my book.

Now, if Avignon or Cardinal smells like Bernardo Gui's religious habit in "The Name of the Rose", then I imagine that La Liturgie des Heures is the way Adso's of Melk robes smelled like. Pious, yes, but not yet pious enough to have every hint of mirth exiled in the purgatorial fires. It's the difference between an old, cantankerous and cold-hearted bishop, probably disappointed that the world does not understand his "rightfulness" and a young and sanguine monk, who still thinks he can make a difference. This doesn't mean that La Liturgie des Heures is a joyous and playful fragrance. God forbid! It just means that this aspiring novice enjoys equally delving profoundly into the ancient manuscripts in the monastery and quaffing a couple of pints in the local tavern. Walking the dense coniferous forests surrounding both in the meantime, and taking a nap on the ground every once in a while.

Oh, and for those who expected a Sean Connery association to be included, this emblematic Scotsman will always be beyond genres and classifications, thus Guerlain's Jicky will always do the trick for him. Monkish or not.
7.0/10

Fanny
Stained pictures from the past
I've had relatives, living in the country -in the previous century- way, WAY up in the north (with names like auntie Angel, auntie Bear), whose cellar and sometimes even cupboards smelled like this: ancient books, dust, mothballs and more dust.
Interesting, if you like that kind of thing..., challenging for sure..., but to call it fresh???....... O__o

And this comes from yours truly, who thinks Ambre Sultan and Serge Noir are fresh perfumes.

I'll give it another try soon, but I wonder if I will ever be able to erase that stained black&white (or should I say: yellow&brown?) photograph from my memory, while wearing La Liturgie des Heures.
Edit: def. a relative of Myrrhe Ardente
7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Incense Rapture
To me, this is the divinity of incense perfumes, but I didn't realize it right away. When I first sniffed a sample of La Liturgie des Heures, I wasn't aware that incense is a perfume genre. Learning it was and, inspired by this fragrance, I decided to explore the genre in a sniff-fest starring my characters Yasmin and Walad. Together we learned about omani frankincense (dry, ascetic) vs somali incense (luxurious, sweet), etc. La Liturgie contains the beautiful latter which alone distinguishes because somali incense barely needs additives at all. It’s found not only in this scent, but in two other wonderful ones: Montale’s Full Incense and Naomi Goodsir’s Bois d’Ascèse. I gave the first to my grandson and the latter to my husband, who smelled it and fell straight in love. This one I saved for me. It doesn’t remind me of a Catholic High Mass, so much as what I wish mass had smelled like — instead of the choking smokiness that forced me out for air, one of my brothers happily accompanying me to escape the long service. Jovoy is my dream of what heaven smells like when angels worship. No one chokes because of the airy cypress. Cistus and musk add luxury to the rapturous allure of somali incense, the only kind allowed behind the pearly gates in large amounts, naturally. Without the help of a single floral, La Liturgie des Heures is a florid perfume. It’s equaled only by HOM’s Blackbird, IMO, which is heavier and more intricate. I find them both gorgeous, though. In short, I sniffed through 54 other incenses before realizing I’d already found the most divine incense for me.
7.5 5.0 2.5 7.0/10

Old School Frankincense...
La Liturgie des Heures opens with a fresh leafy green accord that lasts less than a minute before the fragrance moves to its heart phase. During the early heart the fresh green accord trades places with a warm woody cypress supporting an emerging resinous frankincense that resembles the kind one might encounter burning in a church or cathedral that takes the fore. The fragrance remains quite linear through the dry-down exhibiting faint whiffs of relatively clean musk at the very end of its all too brief life-cycle as the frankincense gradually fades. Projection is on the low side of average and longevity is well below average at 2-3 hours on skin.

La Liturgie des Heures reminds me of a fragrance I used to love when I was much younger, well over 25 years ago. I wish I could remember what it was but alas, my memory is not as good as it used to be... Vague memories aside, the overall linear minimalist composition strikes me as a cross between some of the best aspects of my favorite radiant incense compositions and barbershop old school offerings. I don't think I ever thought I would describe a frankincense driven composition as "old school barbershop-like" but it just comes off that way to me rightly or wrongly. The bottom line is La Liturgie des Heures proves a quite competent incense composition; but its relatively poor performance aspects on my fragrance friendly skin coupled with its price tag of $180 per 100ml bottle hold me back from recommending the 3.5 star out of 5 rated composition without hesitation.

by Nicheuphoria
by Hatka
Greetings from the lid :P
by Lah2o

Popular Jovoy

Psychédelique by Jovoy Private Label by Jovoy L'Enfant Terrible by Jovoy Les Jeux sont Faits by Jovoy La Liturgie des Heures by Jovoy Rouge Assassin by Jovoy Ambre Premier by Jovoy Terra Incognita by Jovoy L'Arbre de la Connaissance by Jovoy Gardez-Moi (2013) by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Chypre by Jovoy L'Art de la Guerre by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Boisé by Jovoy Incident Diplomatique by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Poudré by Jovoy Remember Me by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Hesperidé by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Oriental by Jovoy Quand? by Jovoy Les 7 Parfums Capitaux - Fougère by Jovoy