Calamity J. by Juliette Has A Gun
Where to buy?
Calamity J. (Juliette Has A Gun)
Calamity J. is a popular perfume by Juliette Has A Gun for women and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-oriental. It is still in production.

Romano Ricci

Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Lovely and Lovelier
The sweet floral (iris?) and patchouli notes of Calamity J. are detected first by my nose. Very lovely. Afterwards I get a slight plastic or leathery vibe, but not unpleasant, it goes very well together. Becomes very smooth and delicious near the ending, when vanilla and lavender comes out. I really like it.

Not overly long lasting or great sillage for me, unfortunately. I'm not sure it would be of good value, unlike Vengeance Extreme or Mad Madame.
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 6.0/10
Helpful Review    3 Awards
Unisex JHAG
To my nose Calamity J is a nice mix of amber, patchouli, a bit of iris and vanilla, with a nice musk note that's not very animalic/dirty.

It's sweeter than Citizen Queen and also less metallic. Also Calamity J doesnt have the huge aldehydes.

It's very well balanced and unisex in my opinion.

Great scent that's suitable for all year.
Scent 9.0/10
Very helpful Review    4 Awards
A JHAG that I would consider
I ordered the sample pack from JHAG, and I fully expected to like them all. I did. But this one ... oh, my. What a glorious grower of a scent! It's my favorite from the JHAG line-up and the only one that I'd consider buying.

The top is nothing special, and thankfully the patch is well behaved on my skin. As it dries, Calamity J develops into a deep woody that's just a bit smokey & powdery, with a touch of sweetness. It wears close to the skin and longevity is about average. It wears closer to a light perfume oil than to an EdP or EdT on me.

On me, Calamity J Wears like the base of Midnight Poison (but not as medicinal, no rose), is similar to Shiseido Feminite du Bois, and has a touch of Le Baiser Du Dragon. If you find yourself attracted to that olfactory space,with a little sweetness thrown in for good measure, you'd probably like Calamity J too.

Order sample packs containing 2ml vials from the JHAG website. 7EURO or 11USD, includes international shipping, via paypal. My order arrived in the US from Paris in 7 days. :)
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
2 Awards
A Simple Yet Pleasing Patchouli Amber
As the cold weather began to descend upon us in Boston, I was anxious to compare some of the amber perfumes in my queue, and Juliette Has a Gun CALAMITY JANE is a nice one! This relatively simple blend primarily features patchouli and amber to my nose—I don't really detect the iris distinctly—but what a lovely blend it is! Smooth and golden and resinous and seductive...

This composition is not all that original—I have sniffed a couple of other niche perfumes inhabiting the same neighborhood—but I guess that just goes to show that high-quality patchouli and amber notes marry well! It seems to me that when a simple yet compelling combination is meant to be, then multiple perfumers are bound to come up with it eventually.

I would love to have a bottle of CALAMITY JANE... This perfume has good longevity and perfect wintertime sillage: warms up on the skin to waft up the neck of a snuggly sweater. Definitely unisex.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
Helpful Review    6 Awards
The Devil wears Calamity J
Although I didn’t find it in the notes, Calamity J smells a lot like incense to me. It must be the iris, musk and lavender that ingeniously combine to give off a certain smoky character to the composition.

It has a somewhat solemn, heavy feel to it, as if you're in the presence of a very powerful element - it makes me think of stepping into a Roman-Catholic church, with its long aisle, painted windows and distant echoes resounding at every step. Only I'm not a believer. On the contrary, I feel like a bit of a Devil wearing this, sinking my finger into the holy water and making it boil.

Calamity J is advertised as a masculine perfume for women, reminiscent of the dandy fragrances of the past - in one word, it's unisex. The iris, lavender and ambergris keep it fresh and woody at all time, amber and vanilla give it rounder edges to make it work for women, while the patchouli and musk provide a solid power boost. It's quite a little engine of a perfume and there's a beautiful synergy between the notes and accords.

This is a remarkable scent, that has a strong personality of its own and demands a strong personality to wear it. It's devilish and untamed, versatile and intense, a non-conformist blend of modern and retro, feminine and masculine. Very (wickedly) fun to wear!