Calamity J. 2009

Calamity J. by Juliette Has A Gun
Calamity J. is a popular perfume by Juliette Has A Gun for women and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-oriental. The production was apparently discontinued. Pronunciation

Romano Ricci

Top Notes Top NotesCinnamonCinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesIrisIris ISO-E-SuperISO-E-Super PatchouliPatchouli
Base Notes Base NotesCetalox®Cetalox® VanillaVanilla LabdanumLabdanum Muscenone®Muscenone® CivetCivet CastoreumCastoreum

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 22.06.2022.

5 in-depth fragrance descriptions

A JHAG that I would consider
I ordered the sample pack from JHAG, and I fully expected to like them all. I did. But this one ... oh, my. What a glorious grower of a scent! It's my favorite from the JHAG line-up and the only one that I'd consider buying.

The top is nothing special, and thankfully the patch is well behaved on my skin. As it dries, Calamity J develops into a deep woody that's just a bit smokey & powdery, with a touch of sweetness. It wears close to the skin and longevity is about average. It wears closer to a light perfume oil than to an EdP or EdT on me.

On me, Calamity J Wears like the base of Midnight Poison (but not as medicinal, no rose), is similar to Shiseido Feminite du Bois, and has a touch of Le Baiser Du Dragon. If you find yourself attracted to that olfactory space,with a little sweetness thrown in for good measure, you'd probably like Calamity J too.

Order sample packs containing 2ml vials from the JHAG website. 7EURO or 11USD, includes international shipping, via paypal. My order arrived in the US from Paris in 7 days. :)

The Devil wears Calamity J
Although I didn’t find it in the notes, Calamity J smells a lot like incense to me. It must be the iris, musk and lavender that ingeniously combine to give off a certain smoky character to the composition.

It has a somewhat solemn, heavy feel to it, as if you're in the presence of a very powerful element - it makes me think of stepping into a Roman-Catholic church, with its long aisle, painted windows and distant echoes resounding at every step. Only I'm not a believer. On the contrary, I feel like a bit of a Devil wearing this, sinking my finger into the holy water and making it boil.

Calamity J is advertised as a masculine perfume for women, reminiscent of the dandy fragrances of the past - in one word, it's unisex. The iris, lavender and ambergris keep it fresh and woody at all time, amber and vanilla give it rounder edges to make it work for women, while the patchouli and musk provide a solid power boost. It's quite a little engine of a perfume and there's a beautiful synergy between the notes and accords.

This is a remarkable scent, that has a strong personality of its own and demands a strong personality to wear it. It's devilish and untamed, versatile and intense, a non-conformist blend of modern and retro, feminine and masculine. Very (wickedly) fun to wear!

Unisex JHAG
To my nose Calamity J is a nice mix of amber, patchouli, a bit of iris and vanilla, with a nice musk note that's not very animalic/dirty.

It's sweeter than Citizen Queen and also less metallic. Also Calamity J doesnt have the huge aldehydes.

It's very well balanced and unisex in my opinion.

Great scent that's suitable for all year.

Lovely and Lovelier
The sweet floral (iris?) and patchouli notes of Calamity J. are detected first by my nose. Very lovely. Afterwards I get a slight plastic or leathery vibe, but not unpleasant, it goes very well together. Becomes very smooth and delicious near the ending, when vanilla and lavender comes out. I really like it.

Not overly long lasting or great sillage for me, unfortunately. I'm not sure it would be of good value, unlike Vengeance Extreme or Mad Madame.
Decision taken
Calamity J. I have for about 5 years in my collection. In this time, I have not yet been able to decide whether he stays, or should rather move on.

I like but the spicy prelude with cinnamony sweetness and also the synthetic animalism of the fragrance. Recognition value is definitely present and especially many similar fragrances I do not know (times yet).
But what does not convince me and tears the years back and forth, is the performance. Both the durability and the charisma. I ordered the fragrance blindly after reading the numerous comments here. Wilder and stronger is what I was expecting it to be. But after the prelude, he quickly becomes quiet, although oriental, but for such a yet quite quiet.
Unfortunately, until today I have not found an alternative that strikes in the same direction, but brings more power. Therefore, I have never overcome me to give him. If it were stronger, it would be a warming winter favorite. The smoky sweet base fits well in the cold.
A little desperate, I am now faced with the next decision. That would be whether
i will repurchase Calamity j, or leave it. Because the upper question has become moot. My younger daughter (3) has just unfortunately got hold of it and smashed it on the floor....
R. I. P
More reviews

Images

15 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Juliette Has A Gun

Moon Dance by Juliette Has A Gun MMMM... by Juliette Has A Gun Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has A Gun Citizen Queen by Juliette Has A Gun Oil Fiction by Juliette Has A Gun Musc Invisible by Juliette Has A Gun Liquid Illusion by Juliette Has A Gun Vengeance Extrême by Juliette Has A Gun Vanilla Vibes by Juliette Has A Gun Into the Void by Juliette Has A Gun Miss Charming by Juliette Has A Gun Metal Chypré by Juliette Has A Gun Gentlewoman by Juliette Has A Gun Pear Inc. by Juliette Has A Gun Romantina by Juliette Has A Gun Not a Perfume (Eau de Parfum) by Juliette Has A Gun Sunny Side Up by Juliette Has A Gun Anyway by Juliette Has A Gun Another Oud by Juliette Has A Gun Lipstick Fever by Juliette Has A Gun