Midnight Oud 2009

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has A Gun
Midnight Oud is a perfume by Juliette Has A Gun for women and was released in 2009. The scent is woody-floral. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Romano Ricci

Top Notes Top NotesRose, Birch tar
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Patchouli, Labdanum, Oud, Cedar, Papyrus
Base Notes Base NotesCetalox®, Vanilla, Musk, Castoreum, Gaiac wood, Sandalwood

Submitted by Schnuffi, last update on 12.10.2020.

BriarthornBriarthorn 6 years ago

„Rose and Oud for non-oud lovers. ”

Bcars10Bcars10 3 years ago

„Oud-grenade”

A mouth sample
I saw a leftover bottle of Midnight Oud offered in exchange. I'm a Juliette has-a-gun fan, at least I tend to be. I am a self-confessed oud skeptic. I had a conflict. I did it: I traded him. Just out of curiosity. I wore it, too. Three days so far. That's nonstop since I got him. Every Juliette gets a comment from me. So does this one. I can assure you: Now I have a new conflict. The smell is great. But... well, but..
More precisely, it looks like this:
The first moment right away: Oud!
Yeah, maybe not for you. But I have an oud-sceptic nose that is adapted to it zero point zero: Oud. It's not too bad. It is not an oud with a bum factor and also not an oud that seems unbearably artificially sharp and harmful to health, but so to speak exactly the kind of not quite oudic oud for oud-sceptics
The oud vanguard becomes softer after only a few minutes and I would now say I smell rather a little incense with typical Juliette Rose patchouli.
Knowing that birch tar appears in the pyramid, I now smell that too rather than really oud. It's a bit sweetish and I know this is the rose, the typical Juliette rose
Midnight Oud in my nose gets more and more beautiful. It becomes a soft, warm, yet light rose-patchouli leather scent, very nice leather, just the way I like it. But strangely enough, it now suddenly reminds me of two fragrances I already own:

In heart and base it resembles enormously Hippie Rose by Heeley, my favourite patchouli rose leather scent. Midnight Oud is only warmer, sweeter and minimally smoky. But it's the kind of patchouli and that spicy warmth that sets it apart from the rather lighter and fresher Heeley that is found in the beguiling base of Fashion Decree by Atkinsons. I attribute this beguiling spiciness to guaiac wood, which I often like very much. All in all, Midnight Oud Fashion Decree is less similar to Hippie Rose, also because the guaiac wood is less in the foreground than Rose, Leather and Patchouli.
No further change takes place, but the durability is enormous. Also the Sillage is more intensive than the other two.
I can still wallow for hours in a slightly smoky intensified Hippie Rose with a touch of Fashion Decree.

But I already have. Which of the three do I give away now?

The Heeley remains, it is so beautifully light and elegant despite patchouli.
To give the Fashion Decree away would be idiotic, because it is altogether different from the others and at the very end of the base it tops both of them.
But I would like to keep the Midnight Oud as well, it has more power, more intense rose, is not as bitchy as the Heeley and it holds and holds and holds and pleases.
Well? Now I keep all three of them!

Thanks, Bellemorte, for another fine Juliette in my collection!
Somehow medium
Rose and Oud. That's bad, because even a late starter like me has tested a lot of them. That's good, because then you have some experience. That's bad, because then you tend to put those things in drawers. That's good, because then the readers will at least understand what you're talking about. This is bad, because it benefits those who know the objects of comparison. That's...not changeable here. A reference to Montale seems inevitable to me; I think of Black Aoud, which I found exhausting.

But to Midnight Oud: Rose, at first sweetish-floral, oriental-heavy. And immediately woody underlay. Has Art. As I said, he's heading straight for Montale bulkiness, but less aggressive. Tar, I'm afraid. Better is, otherwise I would think of the shiny rose as a washing up liquid (see again Black Aoud). So I write: "has something dishwasher-similar".

Within a few minutes, it gets pretty sweet. Vanilla and sandal cream do the fragrance good (theoretically) in so far as they frame the unrelated aromas of sour rose and prickly Meinetwegen oud and force them to take a joint press photo. On the other hand, in practical terms, such a blow of sweetness at this time doesn't give me a good idea. A similar balancing act removal requirement (with a different solution, of course) already did Black Aoud no favours. Why position the ingredients far away from each other only to pull them together afterwards? Wat denn nu?

Midnight Oud is holding her own relatively bravely when it comes to sweetness. Although it increases, it does not completely gain the upper hand for a long time. On the other hand, it is precisely this dishwasher twist that continues to work, stubbornly springing from the rose, which has become increasingly caricatured as a result. The so-called Oud next to it unfortunately seems no less artificial. On balance, all this doesn't smell bad and those who don't want it to get too steep in terms of Rose-Oud will undoubtedly be served properly. Rose geranium or similar even provides a certain portion of stink.

I would have preferred a closer Rose-Oud connection from the start. How wonderfully tight Rose and Oud can be interwoven without much to do with each other was shown to me by Thirty Three from Ex Idolo, who plays in a completely different league when it comes to price per ml.

Back to Juliette: Starting late in the morning, the half-hearted Rose-Oud thing is dominated by cedar whitened in an ambry, vanilla and sugary manner. This was probably to be expected from the manufacturer of "Not a Perfume". A baldrianig-animalic castoreum contribution can be diagnosed (although I doubt that I would have come up with it on my own), for him we may be grateful at this point.

In the early afternoon even that small sting disappeared, I smell a half caramelized, sour-synthetic wood note and directly on the skin a rest of rose, which is admittedly character-wise amazingly close to its original form. In the course of the afternoon the fragrance returns to the interim amber/ambra vanilla sugar theme
Conclusion: I discover beautiful or at least appealing things in Midnight Oud, but in the overall picture I find him a little unrounded and unsteady, that is: That is neither bad nor good - but somehow medium.

Midnight Oud
Midnight Oud is can be best described as sexy with an attitude. The oud, rose and castoreum play well together. The rose note is rather potent and a little on the synthetic side when initially sprayed on, which might be a turn-off for some people, so I would recommend trying before buying. Definitely a cold weather fragrance.

This may be listed as a Women's fragrance but men can definitely wear this proudly and unabashedly. I'm a guy and I love this Midnight Oud.

Longevity is around 8 hours and sillage is large.

If you are a fan of oud as well as rose, you will enjoy this.

7.5/10
0.5

Oud-grenade
Midnight Oud does not know what it wants to be. The initial blast is so overwhelmingly masculine, that I freaked out and rinsed my arm with water. That toned it down a bit, but what was that?! Is that oud??? I've never smelled it before. I don't get the urine bit like other reviewers, but the oud to me smells like something I know but can't really put my finger on...exhaust fumes?...scorched plastic?...burnt popcorn?...it's weird. I'm not a fan.

Luckily, it went away within a half an hour and became the ubiquitous "Juliette Has a Gun rose" that is in all of their scents. Midnight Oud is described two separate ways in the Discovery Kit materials: On the card, as "oud, saffron, rose," and inside the little hole where the vial is placed, as "oud, rose, patchouli." Personally, I think it's the latter because I get no saffron, only the rose and a bit of patchouli during the dry down.

The bottom line on this scent is that it's basically Lady Vengeance with an oud nuclear detonation at the beginning.

Briarthorn
Rose and Oud for non-oud lovers.
This opens with a frightening plastic doll head punch. I can’t think of how else to describe it. It’s terrible. Thankfully, this mess is very short lived and within five minutes that train wreck has been cleared from the tracks.

The next train carries a very heavy, yet clean patchouli accompanied by a heavy and waxy rose. It’s the same patchouli this house uses in their scent Lady Vengeance. On the skin, is where I find the oud and patchouli, while the rose dances heavily on the cloud around me. I’m also getting a lot of an almost minty/citrusy/rosy brightness that I am attributing to the geranium. In fact, as I sniff and think on it, the geranium note is equally as strong as the rose here. The oud and Patchouli almost become one note as the oud is really faint in this composition. Oud for non-oud lovers. This scent is beautiful but so very heavy in this stage. It’s almost like a physical weight you can feel pressing down on you.

When I reach the heart the oud /patchouli note is not as strong. They are still detected against the skin but you need to hunt a bit to find them. The rose and geranium are the main event now. I think a combination of roses was used here from the east and west, it has the feel of a Taif rose but also the touch of the European rose. The entire composition feels a bit lighter and not as dense as it did forty minutes ago. It’s a beautiful and harmonious moment to breathe in.

When you hit the dry down the amber-sweetened patchouli comes out and dominates the rose. That’s all I can really detect at this point, the roses and the sweetened patchouli. No geranium, no oud.
I could no longer detect the scent on my skin after six hours, but it was still very strong on my clothing. I actually think I like it better on my shirt. The amber is stronger and everything feels a bit more balanced. Weird.

Overall, because of how incredibly heavy the roses are in the beginning, I need to be in the mood to wear Midnight Oud. When I do reach for this scent I really enjoy wearing it. It’s beautiful. If you are looking for a serious oud scent, I would not suggest this one, however. The oud is faint, almost like an afterthought.

Winner for the Rose lovers
This is a very delicious scent for any rose lovers. I find it has a wonderful smoky charcoal note under the rose that I really love. I am assuming from reading other reviews that the smokiness is the oud note?

I don't really get any Bergamot on the opening, mostly rose and a bit of saffron. The bottom end is lots of sexy musk and woods.

I love this! Very delicious spiciness!

Great one!
Midnight Oud is a great combo of roses+oud with bit of sweetness.

Remembers me of Atelier Cologne Rose Anonyme in the drydown.

Not as heavy as Black Oud neither as subtle as C&S Dark Rose (EDC), this fragrance is unisex for sure and has a great lasting power (around 10 hours) with a big sillage and projection.

Not totally unique, but a great choice if you're looking to a good oud+roses combination which does not smell medicinal.

Only after several full wears i could realize there is a animalic note that joins the composition in about 1 hour, which sometimes smells sour in my skin.

Totally unisex in my opinion.

Updated October 2013

Drop-Dead (Literally) Gorgeous Oriental Floral
My initial reaction upon applying MIDNIGHT OUD was, "Uh-oh, Juliette really does have a gun!" But then something magical transpired. Juliette placed the gun back in her dark purple leather clutch purse and no one knew for the rest of the night that she was a spy, so well camouflaged was she in velvety wafts of a beautiful dark rose perfume.

MIDNIGHT OUD is a drop-dead gorgeous oriental-floral blend, deftly displaying the rose in all its beauty through embellishing it with amber, saffron, and a just a touch of patchouli. And of course the oud, which in this composition is not tarry or rubbery or off-putting at all, although at the outset, before it smoothed out, I thought it might actually be leather!

The longevity of MIDNIGHT OUD is good on my skin, and the sillage fairly big. This is a very fine oriental rose perfume.

Awesomeness
A deep, dark rose on a medicinal base.
The rose in MO is deep, dark and complex - very modern and quite lovely. Unfortunately, MO opens a bit medicinal, backs off but maintains that medicinal character throughout the wear & becomes a bit metallic even. Even so, I like it, but not enough to own a bottle.

I wish Midnight Poison had MO's rose - now dat would be da bomb!

Feb
2011

Dark Rose Beauty of Spices
Midnight Oud is a dark,resinous and spicy rose scent.
It opens with a nice spicy burst of rose .Elegant,mysterious and i would definitely could compared to Midnight poison by Dior.
The heart of scent unfolds heavy resinous tones of oud and oilness of castoreum.
It's magical and mysterious.
The basis takes over to amber and patchouli.Yes, there is the patchouli element in this scent.It feels quite unisex and the fragrance lasts more than averange(over 12 hours )and it's for evening wear.
The perfume is perfect for those who adore the rose scents to be different ,heavy ,dark and woody.Oud fans also...

by K1
by JPhx
by AnnaBar
by AnnaBar

Popular Juliette Has A Gun

Moon Dance by Juliette Has A Gun MMMM... by Juliette Has A Gun Lady Vengeance by Juliette Has A Gun Calamity J. by Juliette Has A Gun Citizen Queen by Juliette Has A Gun Oil Fiction by Juliette Has A Gun Liquid Illusion by Juliette Has A Gun Vengeance Extrême by Juliette Has A Gun Into the Void by Juliette Has A Gun Miss Charming by Juliette Has A Gun Metal Chypré by Juliette Has A Gun Gentlewoman by Juliette Has A Gun Vanilla Vibes by Juliette Has A Gun Romantina by Juliette Has A Gun Not a Perfume by Juliette Has A Gun Sunny Side Up by Juliette Has A Gun Another Oud by Juliette Has A Gun Anyway by Juliette Has A Gun Mad Madame by Juliette Has A Gun Musc Invisible by Juliette Has A Gun