Not a Perfume (2010)

Not a Perfume by Juliette Has A Gun

Not a Perfume is a perfume by Juliette Has A Gun for women and was released in 2010. The scent is synthetic-woody. It is still in production.

Romano Ricci

Cetalox®

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.09.2019

Apparently, in addition to Cetalox®, the scent formula also includes Hedione, Iso-E-Super and a mixture of different musk molecules (source: Scent and Chemistry - The Molecular World of Odors).

8.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

Azucena
My first non-perfume... and what I think of it
If you like these fragrances, you will also like Not A Perfume:

#ois D'Iris, VC&A #br # # Light Blue, D&G
What awaits you?
A pleasing and yet somehow extraordinary fragrance. He really smells something different about everyone and that makes him exciting. A bit like an olfactory surprise egg.

How does it smell and work?
He smells woody, but not bitter. It doesn't really have corners and edges - but I think it looks a bit cool and distant. I also find that interesting and just right for some days.
But I also understand when someone says he's too boring. I don't think he'll knock anybody down that fast.
He also lacks a certain "noble" undertone, if you will. It lacks development and complexity. But it's also logical, with only one component. Maybe that's exactly what you like in between.
It smells pleasant, but not like typical perfume. So the name is very aptly chosen.

What about shelf life and Sillage?
I haven't managed to overdose it yet. ;-)
The shelf life is okay, on some days better, on others less. This is probably due to the individual skin chemistry, which is also subject to fluctuations.
Where and when can you wear it?
It is wearable for me especially on warm and hot days. I'd rather have something warmer, more cuddly for the winter.
I think it's really appropriate in the office in summer and in everyday life. Personally, I don't find him "special" enough to go out with.
What you shouldn't expect:
A usual JHAG. This one has nothing in common with the others and is out of line. That's what I think. And that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. But you have to know. I don't think he's a "firecracker". He doesn't stand out.
Personally I don't like the other JHAG very much, so this one was interesting for me.
Blind purchase?
Difficult. It's not cheap - it's not soooo great to have it at all, either. Individual skin chemistry can change the scent. In this respect, I would strongly recommend prior testing.

Will I buy it again?
Today's status: no.

Better alternative:
VC&A, Bois D'Iris. Somehow more special. A little nobler. A little more mature
8.0 6.0 10.0 8.5/10

Contemporary art
Yes I jumped on the hype train - again. Although somewhat involuntary, but more about this later.

Contemporary art, modern art - that's where the spirits divide. There are artists who invest hundreds of hours of work in their masterpieces and who apply every brush stroke faithfully to every detail. Then there are artists who in two seconds smear a red spot on a white canvas. Both artists hang in prestigious galleries and both sell their paintings for a lot of money. The latter artist polarizes more. What's there to be art about? Anybody can do that! I can do that, too! Completely unfair to the artists who sit eternally on their paintings!
Well maybe it's not only about the execution but also about the concept.
I like modern art. And if you try to paint an abstract picture yourself, you may find that it is not that easy. For me as an artist it is much harder to reduce things than to depict them in detail.

I think it's similar with these minimalist "perfumes" or "not perfumes". Geza Schön is also a modern artist. Just put Ambroxan or Iso-E-Super in a bottle... anyone could. But first you have to think about it. And then market it well! Brilliant. And it kind of makes a difference, too. Just like an abstract picture in a designer booth.
I came across Molecule 01 before I found out Not a Perfume. Simply because it polarizes even more. Of course I had to test that as a fan of modern art. M01 and I haven't gotten that warm together yet. I think the concept is great and so are all the fairy tales and myths about it. I take it was discreet, in the beginning it was almost unpleasant, meanwhile I like it somebody. But it's still too unpredictable for me. Do I smell something or not? I like to use it for layering, alone it is too little for me, but this is another story.

So I figured since I'm still warming up with M01, I don't need NaP. Even if I think the concept here is super. Just the name!! And the vial looks like a tip-ex. Great!

I was in the perfumery, which also has some niche perfumes, in search of a certain fragrance, which they then did not have. So the lady tried to show me other scents. All very extraordinary stuff, but nothing really appealed to me. The lady didn't want to give up and spray something on me at all costs. "Okay, nothing too intense, I have to work afterwards and I already have perfume on it"
So she sprayed NaP on my forearm. At first I didn't smell anything because I was still too odorless from the previous fragrances. I thought I'd save myself some money. Wrong thinking.

On the way back by bicycle this smell flew towards me. It was also a little my Coco Mademoiselle that I wore, but different. I've never smelled my mademoiselle like that! Kind of more mature. Since then the rest of the day my nose was stuck on my forearm: it fascinated me and together with my mademoiselle I found that I just smelled unbeatably good!

Also like that with NaP well. Yeah, it's minimalistic, but it's got something. It smells like warm skin. When you've been in the sun all day. A little salty, a little sweet also a little creamy. But still fresh. It's not a scent to skin me from my stool alone, but it smells so familiar. And together with Mademoiselle, he knocks me down. Further layering experiments will surely follow.

Damn, lady from the perfumery, you did it again. You've convinced me again.
Of course I went back the next day and had a sample bottled. If it's empty, I'm gonna bring this piece of modern art into my house.
In direct comparison to M01, by the way, I have to say that I find NaP more feminine and sweeter. Not so synthetic. And I smell it longer and clearer, so I personally get more out of it. I can imagine that in a man. I'd like to squeeze my nose into a man's neck that smells like that. Unfortunately I don't have a man at the moment, but if that changes I will spray him with it hehe hehe..
7.0 4.0 5.0 6.0/10

SchatzSucher
A nice little nothing that almost smells there....
That's how I feel about the non-perfume. Or is it perfume? That's where opinions differ.
Some time ago I ordered a sample set from Juliette Has A Gun because I was curious. Some interesting scents were there and also this one, which I tested several times and tried to make friends with. I didn't quite succeed.

I can't avoid some nagging here.
First of all, I feel the smell quite well. I notice something sweet with hints of slightly spicy wood, there is also something clean, almost aseptic. But somehow also quite indefinable and diffuse.
And it's not all that conspicuous. Okay, it's probably got a single odorant in it. Cetalox/Ambroxan, despised by some, not perceived by some. Used in many fragrances as a woody-spicy-balsamic component. Can also get on your nerves quickly in large doses.

The idea of adding a single component to a fragrance (if you like to call it that) is something new to me here. So far I only knew fragrances that were produced according to the classic concept, i.e. with head, heart and base notes, and that also have something to tell. Sometimes a longer and sometimes a shorter story.
The story of the non-perfume is quickly told, it is very minimalist. And I'm torn between favor and disfavor. The classic perfume concept has been taken ad absurdum here.
The basic idea may be quite original, but unfortunately there is still something missing for me. A fixed point, something to which the nose and the senses get stuck. The way this smells to me now, it's too emotionless and sterile for me.

My conclusion: If you like it so clean and inconspicuous (there are always moments when you may not be so extremely scented) and you like the idea of getting by with just one scent, you can get hold of it here. Men can also easily access it here, the declaration "for ladies" is quietly disregarded.
But with me a certain helplessness remains behind and a slight feeling that I have been taken for a ride here cannot be denied, especially since one has to leaf through a lot of money for this not- or yet-smell.
Yes, I admit, not liking prevails in the end. But I don't say yes or no to everything.
6.0 6.0 9.0 9.5/10

Nice frag.
This is a nice clone of Molecule 02.
Smells great, a linear scent that is nice and simple.
Not a must-have, but a nice weapon to have in the armory.

I used six sprays...both wrist, back & front of my neck, chest, and front of my shirt.

Will I buy this again? No.

What's the strength of this? EDP.

Does this fragrance enter BEAST MODE, good, just okay or weak sauce at best? Good.

Can you use it as a unisex scent? Yes.

Am I willing to trade this fragrance? Yes.

Should You Skip It, Sample It First or Blind Buy It? Sample it first.

Is it the old, new formulation? New.

What's its availability; in production, limited edition or discontinued? In production.

SKU Number: 3760022730329 (Sample)
Batch Number: Unknown (Production Date: Unknown)

Age: 21+
From: Boscovs
Size: 3ML
Scent: 5/5 (Lovely).
Value: 5/5 (free).
Sillage: 5/5 (Five feet).
Longevity: 5/5 (Eight hours plus).
Creativity: 5/5 (Manly).
Projection: 5/5 (Two hours & a half).
Versatility: 5/5 (Anytime & Anywhere).
Compliments: 3.25/5 (Okay).

Until next time, I'll catch you on the flipside.
2.0 4.0 8.0 4.5/10

Bcars10
Overpriced for what it is
Interesting juice. I've been trying to get my hands on this for a while. I finally figured out that Sephora sells what is called a "Discovery Kit" of this one, plus other Juliette Has A Gun scents. Then I had to try a couple of different Sephoras in my area before I found it. I've been intrigued by the reviews. I don't consider it a warm musky, "natural" scent. I liken it more to the very last vestiges of a man's cologne, leftover at the end of a day. It's very skin-like, but not on the warm spicy side. It sort of tickles my nose with an effervescence, if you will. It is not over-powering at all. It would be a great office scent, or a scent for where one wouldn't want to blow up people's olfactory senses.

I actually tried "Anyway" from the kit first and didn't like it at all. This Not a Perfume smells like the drydown of Anyway. Not totally, but I do think that Cetalox is in Anyway, as there is a very similar smell wafting around it.

Overall, I wouldn't shell out over 100 bucks for this fragrance. It's good, but not knock-my-socks-off great! Seems overpriced, honestly.
5.0 2.5 3.0 1.0/10

Pfffft
For me it is a big nothing....Smells fresh....yes but so does my laundry when freshly washed...really i see it as "arnacque"...
10.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

love it because ...
I feel it all around me, bud not on me. Interesting, when I close my nose to the place where I spray this JHG, I smell nothing. But from time to time, it returns and suprise me with fresh and optimistic wave. Good for summer, or to wear in office.
5.0 10.0 10.0/10

A Winner...
The first perfume so far, where all three stages it goes through I LOVE!!! So I'm wondering are these the perfumes that you buy? I've sampled so many where I liked the dry down only.

And it lasted at least twelve hours.

The main ingredient is cetalox (ambroxan), but it does change at each stage. The artist loves this one ingredient so much that he wanted a perfume with that note only.

Just found this..."Not a Perfume is based on contradictions, since its composition is created of molecules and is the only fragrance without allergens"
5.0 2.5 2.5 5.0/10

A Phantom Scent
Light, soft, vague woods, indistinct amber. Absolutely linear in development. It's there and then it isn't. Pleasant in a far-off ghostly way, and as unobtrusive as a glass of water.

The scent appeals to me somewhat, I think I would prefer it blended with something else to give some robustness and interest. For me, it's slightly reminiscent of the scent they pump through the MGM Grand casino in Las Vegas.

Not worth the money for me.
5.0 4.0/10

The Fifteen Minutes of Fame of This Idea Have Now Elapsed
Apparently Escentric MOLECULE 02, launched in 2008, is essentially ambroxan, and Juliette Has a Gun NOT A PERFUME, launched in 2010, is also essentially ambroxan. Is there a problem here? Well, I guess that everyone has the right to bottle an aromachemical and sell it at 10,000% profit if they want to. And, amazingly enough, some people really will buy it, even at niche prices!

Although I have not smelled MOLECULE 02, NOT A PERFUME does remind me of my memory of MOLECULE 01: vague woodishness, a bit perfumey. Smells okay, which is to be expected, since this is used to boost the perfumic quality of perfumes, right? To my nose, NOT A PERFUME smells like the base of a men's cologne featuring cedar. It's not too masculine, but it's definitely not feminine.

Okay, I think that this once original idea has exhausted its fifteen minutes of fame. Time to return to perfume, thank you very much!

not a gun ❤️