Boyfriend (2010)

Boyfriend by Kate Walsh
Flacon Design: Chad Lavigne
Compare Prices
Boyfriend is a popular perfume by Kate Walsh for women and was released in 2010. The scent is woody-oriental. It is still in production.

Amber, Woody notes, Night-blooming jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Musk, Myrrh, Plum

Submitted by Blanche, last update on 03.02.2014

Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
The Jealousy Test
BOYFRIEND isn't a flannel shirt or a hooded sweatshirt you grabbed from his closet. It's not a French-cuffed button down, lightly starched. It's nubby socks and maybe his old worn-in college tee shirt, but only if you're also wearing a statement bracelet and delicate layered necklaces of different lengths. The point is, this isn't as much a male/female scent as it is a highs paired with lows scent(a threadbare sweatshirt paired with a silk dupioni floor-length skirt). It's cozy and warm, yet you can still wear it in the heat.

I lived in Boca Raton, Florida, of all places, and when I wore this to the playground, to the bar, or to the "it" restaurant, I was always asked, in a hushed tone, to please reveal what I was wearing. Friends admitted that they had to run out to buy it after smelling it on me. It passed "The Jealousy Test" (side note: if you're unsure about a purchase, have a friend or stranger hold it, or wear it, and see if you want it, to the point where you're jealous, if so, then buy it) !

It's a very current (not currant) scent, on trend, independent and sexy as hell. Although I wore it during the day, I think it is a star come nightfall, when everyone's boyfriend will want to undress you.
Bottle 2.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Submission In A Bottle
No hesitation here, this starts out smelling like a masculine fragrance. Give it to its dry down and you have the yin-yang of the female and male existence of perfumery. Cosmic life explained in a bottle. (How thoughtful of Kate Walsh.) The coming together of two opposites in one bottle that you can now apply onto yourself without the benefit of "him" being there. Never really needing "him" takes on a whole new meaning. Or, you can think of pining for "him" through the purchase of a perfume that reminds you of "him" but it's not "his" its's "yours" because its marketed for women, its just another ad campaign for suckers, rather, I mean consumers. I get this sad image of lonely people crying, sniffing their generic smelling wrist because it reminds them of "him". Really? There's a world of perfumes out there for you ladies, just for you, designed to make you feel good, designed to work with your body chemistry and evoke positive thoughts. Not evoke images of "Michael, John, Rob, Steven, Kevin, Joe, Josh, Sebastian, Brian, Robert, Pablo..." which are the names emblazoned on the bottle. Of her former boyfriends. Yes, the concept is amusing. But it falls short of bringing in the sexual aura needed that might have hit this one out of the ballpark. Had it been reminiscent of a vis-a-vis romp with any of the notes in its composition, then the sensuality and rawness would have made Boyfriend complete. Otherwise, it falls flat as simply spraying a small amount of your significant others' favorite fragrance on to remind you of them. Save your money and do that instead. The plum seems to be the highlight with a slight musk while the woods surround the entire composition. Florals, none. The myrhh lies low and intermingles with the woods as one would expect with a man's fragrance. There is a rich deepness bringing to mind vanilla, more like gingerbread that appears for awhile and wraps the fragrance together. Not long-lasting, not short either, just middle of the road. Stays close to the skin. If you really feel you must wear this, it's a choice to wear in the evening at home or at leisure while relaxing. Definitely sample before you buy to see how you enjoy a fragrance that starts out with a male top and ends with a female bottom. Oh yeah, wouldn't that be called submissive? And that's what buying a bottle called "Boyfriend" reminds me of....but all in all it's a decent frag that I do like. The starting price is ridiculous that I saw at Sephora. Within a few weeks it went to a fraction of its original cost on the clearance rack, where I snagged a bottle. For the clearance price, it was well worth it. That made me much happier to wear it. I still don't like the name, but I do like the fume.
Boyfriend
I've been finding quite a few "loves" lately and I'm happy to add this one to that group. I've had a bottle of this perfume for awhile now but hadn't had a chance to try it out yet. Today I finally did. Right from the first sniff it was instant "love." On my skin, this is all about the amber. Warm, rich, deep, comforting amber! What's not to love about that? I feel like this would be best suited to cooler weather. I feel that way about most "amber-intense" perfumes. There is something so nice about wearing a "warm" perfume when it's cold outside. Catching whiffs of it seems to be just as good as sipping hot chocolate on a cold winters day. The marketing ploy aside (a woman who has traces of her boyfriend's cologne on her), this perfume is easily one of the best celebrity scents I've ever had the pleasure of trying. I will happily wear this quite a bit come Autumn and Winter. The price is a tad steep for a celebrity perfume but you do get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor and give this one a try, especially if you are an amber lover.
His & Hers
I sat down and thought about the concept. A boyfriend leaves his shirt behind... a boyfriend's scent rubs off on his woman. Man and woman's mixed chemistry. Anyway you interpret it, this fragrance is boyfriend inspired. Therefore, it starts with us. So, considering the depth of the notes I figured, why not give it a try? So, I took my shirt back... so to speak. I received more compliments than women have wearing it on themselves. Earthy, warm, woodsy, musky, rich and amber sweet. I wanted to say "cozy," but since that word has been used here already, I'll say this perfume hugs the soul and makes it a perfect fireplace fragrance. I was timid of "Boyfriend" due to the category in which it was placed. I believe it now deserves a position in my top 5.
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Clean cotton, powder & vanilla with a bit of musk & woods
I bought this blind, and I am so glad that I did. However, I think it's outrageously priced for a mass market fragrance. More on that later.

What's so boyfriend about Boyfriend? Clean cotton sheets out of the dryer, perhaps a bit rumpled by now, with the faint smell of HIM ... that's Boyfriend. I don't get flowers or fruits in this one. What I get is clean cotton, powder & vanilla with a bit of musk & woods.

Boyfriend is a vanilla-based fragrance, not a sweet, candy vanilla but an old timey vanilla. This is not a bright, up beat fragrance, but not a moody, dark, foreboding one either.

I'm quite surprised at the "mature" and "old lady" comments that I've seen about this fragrance. However, what I would say is that if the typical celeb scent du jour is your preference (i.e., Britney and all her little sisters), stay far away from this one. Boyfriend is more in the style of SJP Lovely. In fact, if you like Lovely like I do, I bet you'd like Boyfriend too, assuming that you like powder & vanilla, which Boyfriend has plenty of. I also know plenty of women who just don't like floral fragrances, and I think Boyfriend would appeal to them as well.

So, in spite of my adoration of this scent, what's the problem? (1) longevity, (2) sillage and (3) price. It doesn't seem to last long on me ... maybe 3-4 hours. It may be because it's quite linear and I get used to it, but still. Also, it's a skin scent that's close wearing. Actually, I'd prefer this to have a bit more presence. It doesn't have to be a sillage bomb but I expect to get noticed in a 18 inch radius of someone. Lastly, it's priced in the luxe market on a ml for ml basis.

I have the 10ml rollerball from HSN ($20) and recently picked a few 5ml rollerballs on ebay. I'm waiting for the price to come down on the EdP spray, then I'll pick that up too. But at $35 for 1/2 oz (15ml), it's way over-priced imo. That would put a 3.3 ounce (100ml) bottle over the $200 mark. This is not a luxe perfume! At that price point, I could pick up a Bond or a By Killian or 2 Chanels or 3 Guerlains. But a Kate Walsh on HSN? Pluhz.

---

UPDATE - Wore this one today, EDP layered with lotion and dry oil spray. Hubby says, "You smell guyish." I must have looked surprised because he then went on to qualify, saying that it smelled good, that it was unisex, and that he liked it. Now, I was surprised, because hubby ain't no perfumista. However, he hit a homerun on getting the concept of the scent. :)
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
If only all boyfriends--and girlfriends--smelled like this!
When I first tested Kate Walsh Boyfriend, courtesy of a manufacturer's sample provided by one of my online shopping emporia, I was pretty sure that it would be at best meh, at worst a scrubber. How wrong I was! Boyfriend turned out to be a very nice plummy oriental chypre perfume! Is this *really* what Kate Walsh's boyfriend smells like? What a lucky gal she is!

This composition mingles oriental spices, woodiness and a not very sweet plum note enticingly together into a scrumptious wrist-sniffer! To my nose, this composition is linear, and the various elements are woven together seamlessly into a fine chypre texture. I have compared this perfume to some niche quality fruity chypres, and I actually think that Boyfriend is better than some of them, despite its low price and lowly massmarket origins.

Since my pleasant surprise at discovering that Boyfriend is in fact a worthy perfumic creation, I have acquired a small roller-ball of perfume oil. In this medium, the perfume is even more oriental and slightly more sweet, which probably has something to do with the almond oil carrier. My suspicion is that it would probably appeal to those who like scents such as Bond no. 9 Chinatown. I know, I know, I know, blasphemies abound. But there it is: my nose's approval of Boyfriend, notwithstanding the ridiculousness of the perfume's marketing concept and campaign!

I hope that one day this formula will be re-launched under a pseudonym so that I can bring myself to buy a large bottle.

Popular Kate Walsh